HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[UPD] Marleau-Heatley speculation, etc.; 3-way trade debunked 9/10

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Gotta say, I am a little disappointed nothing happened. I was hoping to open the website and get surprised with some trade. Oh well...

Old
09-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Retsopuk

im at the point where i don't think marleau or a naming a new captain is enough for the team to get past the playoff hump. I NEED DANY FU**ING HEATLEY!

Old
09-11-2009, 05:32 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
The Red Wings came within inches of trading Steve Yzerman to the Senators in the early 90's. Everyone questioned his leadership skills and his ability to get the Red Wings over the playoff hump.

Just sayin'.

Old
09-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Retsopuk

he had many many years to prove this already.

Old
09-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
The Red Wings came within inches of trading Steve Yzerman to the Senators in the early 90's. Everyone questioned his leadership skills and his ability to get the Red Wings over the playoff hump.

Just sayin'.
I see what you're saying, but when they finally won a cup with Yzerman that team was STACKED.

Marleau is no Yzerman
Seto is no Shanahan
Boyle is no Lidstrom
Murray is no Konstantinov
NOBODY is Federov

I'm sure I'm missing some big names, too.

Old
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post

Just sayin'.
And that topic has been beaten to death almost as much as Heatly to SJ..

Old
09-11-2009, 05:43 PM
gonegonegone*

I have a bad feeling Marleau will have a weak year. He'll get his points but Marleau does not do well in adversity, and this has to be a very crappy off season for him, the triple humiliation of losing the captaincy, not being on ANY marketing whatsoever (which really is kind of a big deal, I mean how do you not read into that?), and being subject to endless trade rumors because your team doesn't want you. All I can remember is how poor he played before the trade deadline that one year.

I almost think he should just waive his ntc and get a fresh start somewhere else. For all his 2 way play goodness and locker room goodness, this just isn't working out.

Old
09-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
I see what you're saying, but when they finally won a cup with Yzerman that team was STACKED.

Marleau is no Yzerman
Seto is no Shanahan
Boyle is no Lidstrom
NOBODY is Federov

Yeah, like Joe Thornton. Plus I'd say the consensus would be: pre this playoffs Osgood < Nabokov.

Old
09-11-2009, 05:56 PM
sjshark91

Well this party died.

Old
09-11-2009, 05:56 PM
StalockSuperfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsopuk View Post
he had many many years to prove this already.
Yzerman was captain for 10+ yrs before winning the cup. Much longer than marleau

Old
09-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
I have a bad feeling Marleau will have a weak year. He'll get his points but Marleau does not do well in adversity, and this has to be a very crappy off season for him, the triple humiliation of losing the captaincy, not being on ANY marketing whatsoever (which really is kind of a big deal, I mean how do you not read into that?), and being subject to endless trade rumors because your team doesn't want you. All I can remember is how poor he played before the trade deadline that one year.

I almost think he should just waive his ntc and get a fresh start somewhere else. For all his 2 way play goodness and locker room goodness, this just isn't working out.
Sound analysis but if he doesn't want to go, there's nowt that can be done about it. Patrick Marleau holds ALL the cards here.

If that's a good, bad or ugly year - so be it. I'm not convinced there's as much benefit for him to move to reduce his scrutiny - if he returns Heatley in a deal, he's going to get compared regardless. I'd rather stay where I know the situation if I'm Marleau...

I'm 99% sure he'll be staying.*

(*Warning: Last time I made a similar statement was about 4 hours before Ehrhoff was traded...)

Old
09-11-2009, 06:08 PM
hockeyball

Quote:

Marleau to Yzerman is a bad comparison. Skill wise I think they are close, Marleau isn't the captain anymore anyway so leardship isn't an issue.

Seto had 65pts in his softmore season, Shanahan only had 50. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Seto.

Thornton is better than anyone, skill wise, detroit had on offense.

Lidstrom is better than Boyle sure, but they play a differnet game, and we have Vlasic and Blake as well.

It's not that bad, your exaggerating.

Old
09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
sharksfansd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
Sounds like Buccigross' source was the joint he was smoking.
Won't disagree, but on EPSN's story today it says that he had two sources. Makes me think something was up, but the sources left out a key part (i.e. Marleau saying he had not been asked to waive the NTC).

I generally like Bucci, so if he had two sources with whom he generally feels comfortable with then I am not going to blame him for going with it. Perhaps he could have tried to reach out to Marleau first though...?

Old
09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Vaasa

Quote:

Marleau is no Yzerman
Seto is no Shanahan
Boyle is no Lidstrom
NOBODY is Federov

If Marleau is close to anybody on that list, it's Federov. Like Federov, he's usually a 30-40 goal player, extremely good in both directions, etc. I'm not saying he's as good as Federov, but if there is anyone he is close to, it's Federov.

Old
09-11-2009, 07:06 PM
pappaf2

ESPN's newest article on the topic: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4466119

Quote:
Senators keep Heatley on Roster

Dany Heatley was still on the Ottawa Senators' preseason roster Friday, a day after two sources told ESPN's John Buccigross that he was going to be traded to the San Jose Sharks.

Heatley

Heatley is one of 32 forwards and centers on a list sent out by the Senators on Friday as they prepare to open training camp. Players report for medical tests and physicals on Saturday and hit the ice for the first time Sunday.

Old
09-11-2009, 08:04 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfansd View Post

I generally like Bucci, so if he had two sources with whom he generally feels comfortable with then I am not going to blame him for going with it. Perhaps he could have tried to reach out to Marleau first though...?
Before the tweets and article went up, he should have checked with:

1.) All GM's involved.

2.) TSN experts. After all, ESPN owns a 20% stake in TSN and TSN is usually considered an authority on this.

Then once he had more info from #1 and #2, and only then, should he have proceeded with his tweets and article.

Old
09-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post

1.) All GM's involved.

2.) TSN experts. After all, ESPN owns a 20% stake in TSN and TSN is usually considered an authority on this.

Then once he had more info from #1 and #2, and only then, should he have proceeded with his tweets and article.
In today's "everything now" society I think people want to be the first to break news. **** man, I got twitter a year ago to talk to my bro during the day and now I use it to hear about whats going on in hockey lol

Old
09-11-2009, 08:24 PM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
He probably just tried to hit the jackpot by breaking the trade news. Its not really like he lost anything, imo. ESPN probably said, "The NFL season started, you think anyone gives a damn about hockey? Get the hell out there and host SportsCenter, dammit."

Old
09-11-2009, 09:21 PM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post

1.) All GM's involved.

Why? As a journalist you develop strong relationships based upon trust with your sources. Some sources you believe more than others and when your top two sources give you a confirmation you go with your story. Bucci did nothing wrong if he followed the advice of his strongest sources, and the fact that he will not retract his story fully leads me to believe that he's more right than he is wrong when it comes to that three team deal.

Watch, if a deal happens soon then no one will remember the story contradiction by the GMs. I remember when the Raiders fired Lane Kiffin...NFL network was the first to jump on the story a couple of days before. The Raiders and everyone else said "no no no no, Kiffin isn't fired, you're wrong." NFL network stick with their story because they had a couple of strong sources who told them what was up, and sure enough the Raiders fired Kiffin.

Old
09-12-2009, 06:19 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

tick, tick, tick, tick, DING!-- you hear it! It's the sound of summer's end as training camps open. It's also the sound no deal for Heater resulting in him coming to the Sharks. Now that camps are open this deal won't happen nor will any major ones for the Sharks unil the season gets started. Kessel is still in play and his situation may not get resolved until he's ready to play in Nov/Dec anyway.

I for one am ready to turn and focus on camps and what the roster will look like on opening night based on prospects and vets we already know about.

Hockey season is Back!!

Old
09-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 576
Quote:

Marleau is no Yzerman
Seto is no Shanahan
Boyle is no Lidstrom
NOBODY is Federov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
If Marleau is close to anybody on that list, it's Federov. Like Federov, he's usually a 30-40 goal player, extremely good in both directions, etc. I'm not saying he's as good as Federov, but if there is anyone he is close to, it's Federov.
Sergei Fedorov. The letter 'e' appears once in his last name, not twice.

Old
09-12-2009, 11:36 AM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
tick, tick, tick, tick, DING!-- you hear it! It's the sound of summer's end as training camps open. It's also the sound no deal for Heater resulting in him coming to the Sharks. Now that camps are open this deal won't happen nor will any major ones for the Sharks unil the season gets started. Kessel is still in play and his situation may not get resolved until he's ready to play in Nov/Dec anyway.

I for one am ready to turn and focus on camps and what the roster will look like on opening night based on prospects and vets we already know about.

Hockey season is Back!!

Good times indeed. But I wouldn't rule out Heatey being dealt to the sharks, or any other team within the next few days, or weeks. Its mayhem at Sens camp, and Murray is in a pickle now-- when he could have dealt Heater sooner. Its gonna be fun to watch, either way Go Sharks!!!

Old
09-12-2009, 11:53 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

This is a great thread! We'll have to have part 2 to speculate about this Heater deal that in all probility was never really going to happen. Lets keep going and get to 1000 posts.

Old
09-12-2009, 11:59 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Good times indeed. But I wouldn't rule out Heatey being dealt to the sharks, or any other team within the next few days, or weeks. Its mayhem at Sens camp, and Murray is in a pickle now-- when he could have dealt Heater sooner. Its gonna be fun to watch, either way Go Sharks!!!
Their is no doubt that Heatly will be dealt. Murray is screwed as the longer he waits the less he'll get for him and training camp is starting - how many teams have cap room for this kind of player at this time anyway.

WIth all due respect, i just don't see him comming to the Sharks.

Old
09-12-2009, 12:07 PM
SoCalSharkzFan

Honestly, if the trade doesn't get completed before the 15th, I hope it doesn't happen at all.

I'm pretty impartial to a Heatley-Marleau swap, as long as Marleau is the only asset we're giving up. I don't think it will get us over the hump in any case.

I just don't want to start my NHL 10 Be-A-Pro, then a similar trade takes place 1-4 weeks later.

A selfish and lame excuse I know. But the difference between the two players is negligible. Upgrade on offense vs. a downgrade on defense. I'm so tired of hearing about this Heatley saga though.

Closed Thread