HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chances of Bozak making the team?

Old
08-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Cool Beans Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
1 goal in 23 games. 6 year vet. Not the kind of consistency you want from a 2nd line player.
Yes, and I stated consistency as a problem. Eye injury also might have had something to do with it. Like I said, let's see what we have, if it doesnt happen this year, maybe its time, but like I said, I am not a total fan of writing 25 year olds off who are coming off career years.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millar1987 View Post
Yes, and I stated consistency as a problem. Eye injury also might have had something to do with it. Like I said, let's see what we have, if it doesnt happen this year, maybe its time, but like I said, I am not a total fan of writing 25 year olds off who are coming off career years.
He's never been a huge offensive player and that likely won't change now. What you have in Stajan is what you see, an unspectacular all around player with limited scoring upside. Overpaying for his services in the future will be a mistake.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
He's never been a huge offensive player and that likely won't change now. What you have in Stajan is what you see, an unspectacular all around player with limited scoring upside. Overpaying for his services in the future will be a mistake.
I agree with the overpaying part. But he's only locked up for this year. He did get 40 assists in 76 games last year. That's decent playmaking ability and he has some touch for the net. If he's this unspectactular all around player come deadline time, ship him out. Someone will take him and in return, another asset to the rebuild.

He did outscore Moore last year, and even though I think Moore brings...more to the game, he did garner a second. There are only so many players available on deadline day. If a team doesn't get their guy, Stajan could easily get a 3rd, maybe a desperate 2nd.

Either way, Bozak and Stajan's fate are likely tied together.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:21 PM
bobermay

Quote:
He is a good playmaker, and two way centerman. The game isn't just about scoring goals. He does the little things right. He's nothing great, I'd agree, but you can't deny he produced like a 2nd line centerman last season, given 2nd line oppertunities. And he is only 25.

Quote:
1 goal in 23 games. 6 year vet. Not the kind of consistency you want from a 2nd line player.
During that 20 game stretch, do you really expect Stempniak, Hamilton or Devereaux would set Stajan up? Give him a break.

One thing is for sure, he was much more consistent than Grabovski was.

Quote:
Stajan can't even pot 20 on a good day. He's not a 2nd line center on a good team.
There are plenty of 2nd line centermen that can't score 20 goals. Stajan is more of a playmaking centerman. He isn't flashy, but he gets the job done. He does have potential however to hit the 20 goal mark. Stephen Weiss is a good example.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:25 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
He is a good playmaker, and two way centerman. The game isn't just about scoring goals. He does the little things right. He's nothing great, I'd agree, but you can't deny he produced like a 2nd line centerman last season, given 2nd line oppertunities. And he is only 25.

During that 20 game stretch, do you really expect Stempniak, Hamilton or Devereaux would set Stajan up? Give him a break.

One thing is for sure, he was much more consistent than Grabovski was.

There are plenty of 2nd line centermen that can't score 20 goals. Stajan is more of a playmaking centerman. He isn't flashy, but he gets the job done. He does have potential however to hit the 20 goal mark. Stephen Weiss is a good example.
Given he was struggling to score goals later in the season , that's why he got pushed down the lineup. His play earned it and he deserves the medal for 2nd assists. Grabovski and Stajan can't be compared, one is a 6 year vet and the other is in his first year. For the record, Weiss has cracked the 20 goal barrier already in his career showing he has real untapped upside.

Old
08-04-2009, 09:41 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Given he was struggling to score goals later in the season , that's why he got pushed down the lineup. His play earned it and he deserves the medal for 2nd assists. Grabovski and Stajan can't be compared, one is a 6 year vet and the other is in his first year. For the record, Weiss has cracked the 20 goal barrier already in his career showing he has real untapped upside.
Wow....

Stajan isn't a goal scorer. Stajan was our best defencive centerman, and played the 3rd line role better than the rest of the centermen would. Ron Wilson loves Mitchell. Is Mitchell better? No! But fact is, Ron Wilson gave him more playing time at the end of the season.

Grabovski is the same age as Stajan.... Grabovski has player Pro for quite some time now as well.... Its not like playing Professional hockey is new to him...Fact is, Grabovski is consistantly more inconsistant than Stajan.

Last season, Weiss scored 14 goals. Stajan scored 15. They are both 2nd line centerman.

Stajan produced 47% of his points with Antropov and Ponikarovksy for about half the season... Meaning he produced 53% with lesser wingers in Hagman, Hamilton, Stempniak, Deveaux and Devereaux. To me, that shows that He was consistently producing 2nd line numbers.

Edit: Your Stajan Hate and Bias needs to end.

He is a 3rd liner on any contending team, who has potential to be a 2nd liner.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:48 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Wow....

Stajan isn't a goal scorer. Stajan was our best defencive centerman, and played the 3rd line role better than the rest of the centermen would. Ron Wilson loves Mitchell. Is Mitchell better? No! But fact is, Ron Wilson gave him more playing time at the end of the season.

Grabovski is the same age as Stajan.... Grabovski has player Pro for quite some time now as well.... Its not like playing Professional hockey is new to him...Fact is, Grabovski is consistantly more inconsistant than Stajan.

Last season, Weiss scored 14 goals. Stajan scored 15. They are both 2nd line centerman.

Stajan produced 47% of his points with Antropov and Ponikarovksy for about half the season... Meaning he produced 53% with lesser wingers in Hagman, Hamilton, Stempniak, Deveaux and Devereaux. To me, that shows that He was consistently producing 2nd line numbers.

Ya I'm tired of getting to pointless argument with your love affair with the guy. The guys a goner after this season so I'm happy.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:11 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Wow....

You're confusing bias with lack of inteligence and common sense. Just another Leaf hating troll; pay him/her no mind. School will be back before we know it.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:14 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
You're confusing bias with lack of inteligence and common sense. Just another Leaf hating troll; pay him/her no mind. School will be back before we know it.
yup you have plenty of those.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Chea*

Quote:
I think you're selling him a bit short. While I don't think he's a 2nd line center on a good team he's a decent all around player.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
you don't have to score in order to help your team succeed. Stajan is more a 5 year vet then a 6 year vet unless you consider playing 1 game in the 2002 season as a year of experience? He played a majority of his games over the past 4 years he's avg-ed 80 games a season and his contract is $1,750,000. For a guy who put up 55 points and is responsible defensively that is dam good imo. He's avg-ed about 39 points over the past 4 seasons but considering the rolls he's played for at least 2 of those seasons maybe closer to 3 of those 4 seasons it's no wonder his point totals are a on the lower end of the scale. There is every reason in the world to believe that Stajan will improve on last years point totals, He's never been a dominate goal scorer but he is a decent setup man who's offensive game is a bit underrated. People say that he would not even be a top 6 forward on good teams but I don't see why he wouldn't especially if he continues to contribute offensively, play a solid defensive game and work hard every shift.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

Blake Garbo Poni
Hagman Stajan Klumimen
Stempniak Mitchell Mayers/Wallin
Orr Primeau Bozak

I believe once the year gets going, minus all the 9 game try out periods the line up will look like this.

I believe Primeau and Mayers will be fighting for that last spot on the foward crew and not Bozak. If Mayers is out Wallin will center the third line and Mitchell will move to the wing. and the 4th line will be orr primeau and Bozak. If Primeau is out the third line ends up Stemp, Mitchell, Wallin and the 4th line turns out as Orr centered by Bozak and mayers on the other side. I like the second option more as it gives Bozak a couple tough dudes to let him grow and adjust without being scared

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Henderson19

Not so likely, unless he explodes in camp.

Ummm, what was the question?

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:30 AM
dkhakh

i did not want to start a new thread for this but what happened to Chad Rau? Don't we need to sign him until Aug 15? we had one contract left (for the 50 limit) and i think we signed one new player (forgot his name there is new thread on this).
i think he is a pretty good pospect to pass on just like that.

dkhakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhakh View Post
i did not want to start a new thread for this but what happened to Chad Rau? Don't we need to sign him until Aug 15? we had one contract left (for the 50 limit) and i think we signed one new player (forgot his name there is new thread on this).
With Engel we're back to 50 again so unless someone is moved before Aug 15 it seems Burke is letting him walk.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhakh View Post
Marlies can give out contracts without it affecting the Leafs.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:42 AM
LTL

Info from the Oilers website:

Quote:
Information on the 50-contract roster limit and 90-player maximum reserve list

Teams have four different “roster” limits to balance under the league’s regulations; a 20-player “dressed list” for games, a 23-player active NHL roster, a 50-contract maximum, and a 90-player maximum reserve list.

Starting with the largest and working our way down, teams are only allowed to have up to 90 players on its reserve list, whether signed to a standard player contract (SPC) or unsigned. From there teams are only allowed to have up to 50 players signed to contracts for any given season, including those for the players on the active roster and injured reserve lists. The unsigned players are draft picks of the club who have not yet been signed. In most cases, an organization retains an unsigned drafted player’s rights for two seasons after his drafted year, with some extended timeframes provided for US College players and for European players, among others, but that’s for another topic later on.

Every player on the 23-person active NHL roster, plus any player on the injured reserve list, must be under contract (and count toward the 50 contract maximum) and every team must have at least 24 players and three goaltenders under an SPC. Beyond those parameters, a team has wide latitude to make up its 50 contracts. In actuality, most teams opt not to use the full 50-contract maximum to give the organization the flexibility to make roster moves – trades, waiver claims, or player signings – at any given time. Most teams carry a significant number of signed players at the minor professional level, AHL being the highest minor pro league in North America. Since these players are already signed to contracts, it’s easy for clubs to recall the player(s) to the NHL as needed.

Other players may be signed to contracts but returned to the player’s junior club – most often this takes place between an NHL club and Canadian Major Junior teams (teams that play in the Ontario Hockey League, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, or Western Hockey League, collectively the CHL). But 18 and 19-year-old players assigned to their team in the CHL do not count against the 50-contract maximum, until they have played at least 11 NHL games in one season.

The 50-contract limit has an interesting distinction in that the limit pertains to the season(s) for which a contract is valid. All NHL player contracts expire on June 30. The year varies from contract to contract, but the day remains the same (as we’ll discuss more when we look at player contracts in later editions of the feature). Knowing it has expiring contracts coming off its 50-contract maximum, a team can sign players to contracts for the following season. By doing so a team may have more than 50 different players signed to valid SPCs, as long as 50 or fewer are signed to valid SPCs for that current season AND fewer than 50 SPCs on tap for the upcoming season.

The 23-man roster limit is in place from the conclusion of the preseason until 12:01 am on the day of the NHL’s Trade Deadline. After that teams are allowed to have an unlimited active roster at the NHL level, provided players are signed to one of their 50 contract slots. NHL teams are only allowed to dress a maximum of 20 players – 18 skaters and two goaltenders – for any given game, but those 20 must come from the 23-player active roster.

Both the 23-player active roster and 20-player game roster can change day-to-day and game-to-game. All changes to the team’s 23-player active roster must be cleared through the NHL’s Central Registry before the move is considered finalized (and before the player is eligible to play in a game). In most cases the clearance from Central Registry is simple and completed in a nominal time span. Changes to the 20 players on the game roster are even easier – the list is submitted to the NHL official (either referee or official scorer) by the team (usually the head coach) moments before the start of the game. Prior to submitting the list, the team can choose from any members of its 23-man active roster.

As for the 20-player game roster, according to Rule 5.2, “Only players and goalkeepers on the list submitted to the Official Scorer before the game may participate in the game.” The rule further states that any goals scored while ineligible players are on the ice are subject to be disallowed – at the time of the goal – and the ineligible player(s) removed from the game with the offending team not allowed to replace the ineligible player’s roster spot. However, the rule continues, “No additional penalties are to be assessed but a report of the incident must be submitted to the Commissioner.”

There is an exemption to the rule should both of the goaltenders on the game roster become “incapacitated” but that is an extremely specific rule that has very rarely come into play in the league’s long history.

Beyond those limitations, the league does not dictate the make-up of a team’s roster, though the standard make-up used by most teams for the 20-player game roster is to dress 12 forwards and six defensemen along with the mandated two goaltenders. Rarely a team will use 13 forwards and five defensemen, but it’s not overly uncommon for a team to dress 11 forwards and seven defensemen.

While there are defined limitations, teams have a lot of flexibility to personalize their rosters to their organizational needs, preferences, or styles of play.

Link

Old
08-05-2009, 09:36 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

I think Bozak's chances are quite good actually. I had been thinking before that so long as they have Stajan he doesn't have a spot, but I doubt BB thinks he's ready to take Matt's position. If he has a strong camp I think he will get some ice time on the wing rather than be sent down and if they have injuries he will move into a full time spot.
But if Stalberg and Tlusty both outperform him and none of the vets fade there will be no room for him on the big club to start the season.
Better than 50-50 I think.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:37 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
With Engel we're back to 50 again so unless someone is moved before Aug 15 it seems Burke is letting him walk.
I seriously doubt that Engel is getting anything more than an AHL contract. And as for Rau, as has been said repeatedly, his skating isn't good enough for a little forward. The Leafs steering clear of Rau is no surprise. He was drafted as a little skilled guy who they hoped would improve his skating enough to become a pro player. It didn't happen so they're not going to sign him.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:02 AM
BooRadley

Based on Brian Burke's comments about not hesitating to send veterans down to the Marlies regarding job entitlement, I think Bozak will make the team entirely on his work ethic and maturity (similar to how Luke Schenn made the team last year).

In my opinion (and probably ugotbeefs lol), that whole "entitlement" comment by Burke probably is aimed at Stajan and warning him to either shine in training camp or lose his spot to someone younger who's earned it. Stajan's name rarely comes out of Burke's mouth when he speaks of his lineup - it's almost like he's non-existent. Stajan's one of the last pieces left from the "country club" atmosphere we had a few years ago and I could see him playing with another team next year to make room for a Tlusty or Bozak (unless of course the "entitlement" comment lights a fire under Matt and he outperforms both of them). Hopefully Matt won't take it to heart when he's scratched off the team. Actually come to think of it he won't - he doesn't have heart. He's the defensive version of "Nik Zherdev".

I can't bare to watch Matt play another power play this year whether it be first or second unit. Although not entirely his fault, his 3 or 4 playoff game experience in his 6 years as a Leaf certainly doesn't help his case to return.

BooRadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:12 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven View Post
I seriously doubt that Engel is getting anything more than an AHL contract. And as for Rau, as has been said repeatedly, his skating isn't good enough for a little forward. The Leafs steering clear of Rau is no surprise. He was drafted as a little skilled guy who they hoped would improve his skating enough to become a pro player. It didn't happen so they're not going to sign him.
Glad to hear it.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:23 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooRadley View Post
Based on Brian Burke's comments about not hesitating to send veterans down to the Marlies regarding job entitlement, I think Bozak will make the team entirely on his work ethic and maturity (similar to how Luke Schenn made the team last year).

In my opinion (and probably ugotbeefs lol), that whole "entitlement" comment by Burke probably is aimed at Stajan and warning him to either shine in training camp or lose his spot to someone younger who's earned it. Stajan's name rarely comes out of Burke's mouth when he speaks of his lineup - it's almost like he's non-existent. Stajan's one of the last pieces left from the "country club" atmosphere we had a few years ago and I could see him playing with another team next year to make room for a Tlusty or Bozak (unless of course the "entitlement" comment lights a fire under Matt and he outperforms both of them). Hopefully Matt won't take it to heart when he's scratched off the team. Actually come to think of it he won't - he doesn't have heart. He's the defensive version of "Nik Zherdev".

I can't bare to watch Matt play another power play this year whether it be first or second unit. Although not entirely his fault, his 3 or 4 playoff game experience in his 6 years as a Leaf certainly doesn't help his case to return.
I don't know why you pick on Matt Stajan, he was given more responsibility last season and responded with the best one of his career so far. This is what we wanted to happen, right?

Anyway, Burke talking about "entitlement" is pretty funny. Grabovski has a top two centre position by virtue of his contract while Stajan only has John Mitchell as real competition for the second line job. On the wing, Blake, Ponikarovsky, Hagman, and Kulemin have pretty good locks on the top two lines. The top four defencemen, we all know who they are going to be. Not one forward has been brought in that was going to make the incumbents feel too frightened about their jobs except maybe fourth liner Jamal Mayers.

So, with no further changes I don't see where these tremendous battles for jobs are going to be.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:35 AM
BooRadley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I don't know why you pick on Matt Stajan, he was given more responsibility last season and responded with the best one of his career so far. This is what we wanted to happen, right?

Anyway, Burke talking about "entitlement" is pretty funny. Grabovski has a top two centre position by virtue of his contract while Stajan only has John Mitchell as real competition for the second line job. On the wing, Blake, Ponikarovsky, Hagman, and Kulemin have pretty good locks on the top two lines. The top four defencemen, we all know who they are going to be. Not one forward has been brought in that was going to make the incumbents feel too frightened about their jobs except maybe fourth liner Jamal Mayers.

So, with no further changes I don't see where these tremendous battles for jobs are going to be.

I agree with you in that he did play better last year as opposed to other years, but it frustrates me watching him going through long droughts without playing up to par. Everyone's making a big stink about Zherdev not coming to play every night - but that's the same philosophy Matt lives by as well. He played well after his benching last year, but then (I don't know if its because Mitchell kicked that soccer ball in his eye) he went right back to his routine again.

I think Wallin and Mitchell will take the lower 2 centre spots and perhaps Grabovski and Bozak will take the top 2 spots. This is all dependant (and wishful thinking on my end) on Bozak playing up to the scouting reports and Wallin continuing to impress management the way he has impressed overseas.

BooRadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Reydin

We have 2 Right Hand shot forwards Mayers and Stempniak. I'd say Bozak and Hanson has a better chance than Stalberg.

Reydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:14 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

I wouldn't jump the gun on pencilling Bozak into the NHL lineup. Free agent NCAA signings like Bozak have struggled to be even decent AHL players. Let's see him in the Fall, it's a huge step from NCAA to the AHL, let alone the NHL.

As for Stajan being "inconsistent", I don't see it. He goes through scoring droughts but if there is one thing I'd say about Stajan it's that he gives a consistent effort through most of the season. Still, I agree that Stajan probably isn't the sort of NHL talent that Burke likes.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote