HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2010 #1 overall pick: which teams will be in the running?

Old
08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 500
This year's Avalanche team is pretty much last year's Lake Erie team...

I think they finish 1 or 2...

I also expect a minor sell-off at the deadline... And I think after the deadline they win a single digit amount of games...

Taylor Hall and Matt Duchene...

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 04:51 PM
TinordiandSubban

Hamilton gets Hall at first
Isles take Kabanov 2nd
Colorado takes Fowler 3rd
Gudbranson goes fourth to Atlanta
Fifth overall pick is Granlund to the Oilers

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAustralia View Post
Draft Day 2010:

1. Islanders- Suckage for another season, another 1st overall pick? why not. Islanders rob T.O of the top pick and rob us of Taylor Hall. Ass Clowns. Burkie adds Snow to "The List".

2. Toronto- we finally get the top prospect we deserve, Hello Kabanov. Huge BROmance between Kadri and Kabanov.

3. Ottawa- Who would have thought the Battle of Ontario would end up like this? Ottawa is content with adding Cam Fowler to their lineup.

4. Phoenix- Sucky coaching and financial troubles will help them FAIL. They should trade their pick for a star player but choose John McFarland instead. Horrible Decision.

5. Colorado- Stastny, Hannan, Duchene, Wolski will keep them from sucking too hard, they will improve slightly. Avs select Brett Connolly.

Now I've seen it all. The Leafs Deserve a Top Pick and a Prospect. This is just unreal. Burkie really has some of you brainwashed.

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 08:34 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
A lot of people picking the Sabres to be in the sweepstakes. I'm not really sure I understand that opinion. They were a lock for the playoffs before Miller and Vanek got hurt at the same time down the stretch run, and they return virtually the same team. If Connolly can stay healthy, they are a top 6 Eastern Conference team.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:43 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 225
Quote:
Draft Day 2010:

1. Islanders- Suckage for another season, another 1st overall pick? why not. Islanders rob T.O of the top pick and rob us of Taylor Hall. Ass Clowns. Burkie adds Snow to "The List".

2. Toronto- we finally get the top prospect we deserve, Hello Kabanov. Huge BROmance between Kadri and Kabanov.

C'mon.You really think Snow cares about Burkie or his 'list'?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

I'll be very surprised if the Avs don't have a top three pick in '10.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:37 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
This year's Avalanche team is pretty much last year's Lake Erie team...

I think they finish 1 or 2...

I also expect a minor sell-off at the deadline... And I think after the deadline they win a single digit amount of games...

Taylor Hall and Matt Duchene...
Pst, Fowler + Shattenkirk in the back end > Hall and Duchene.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:36 PM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

I am not sure how they havent been mentioned, but the oilers are gonna need a lot of help to be worse than the avalanche.

I am an oil fan btw

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I know it's trendy to say Dallas will be awful but seriously, they'll have a top five offense in the league. If Turco is just league average they're a playoff team. The team defense isn't spectacular but it will be adequate. They're better than both the Kings and Ducks. The only way they end up in the lottery is if Ribiero or Richards misses the entire season, Turco is just as bad as last year or worse, or they have lots of injuries amongst several key players. I don't think they'll win the Pacific but they won't be one of the bottom two either.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 11:09 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Can I just say it refreshing not to see LA in any of the list, here's to a good year for LA.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 11:28 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Leafs deserve a #1 pick? Why? Because of a lifetime (literally) of mediocrity? The leafs have only been *marginally* better than the Islanders since 2003. ).

Consider that the Leafs were only marginally better than the Isles without the handicap of MM as a GM for many years and with significantly greater financial resources. So, basically, I think the Leafs are considerably more pathetic, especially considering their GM's incredible arrogance.

So, I hope the Leafs "beat" the Isles for the #1 pick. I hope they "beat them" by a lot. In fact, I hope they really stink next year. I'll enjoy it, and Leafs fans' angst, very much.

Whatever. No team "deserves" a #1 pick. The system is built as one among many ways to maintain competitive balance throughout the league. I'm not sure I like the system either. But changing the way the draft operates would involve a much larger discussion of how to maintain competitive balance in general.

Teams I think will be among the worst: Islanders, Leafs, Phoenix, Colorado. Other teams that have a really good chance to be very bad are Dallas, Montreal, Edmonton, Ottawa, and Florida. I think the Thrashers, Lightning, and Kings are very much on the way up.

Cheers,

Dan-o
You've got to be kidding me! Jesus christ.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 01:31 AM
Lahey

Quote:
Leafs deserve a #1 pick? Why? Because of a lifetime (literally) of mediocrity? The leafs have only been *marginally* better than the Islanders since 2003. ).

Consider that the Leafs were only marginally better than the Isles without the handicap of MM as a GM for many years and with significantly greater financial resources. So, basically, I think the Leafs are considerably more pathetic, especially considering their GM's incredible arrogance.

So, I hope the Leafs "beat" the Isles for the #1 pick. I hope they "beat them" by a lot. In fact, I hope they really stink next year. I'll enjoy it, and Leafs fans' angst, very much.

Whatever. No team "deserves" a #1 pick. The system is built as one among many ways to maintain competitive balance throughout the league. I'm not sure I like the system either. But changing the way the draft operates would involve a much larger discussion of how to maintain competitive balance in general.

Teams I think will be among the worst: Islanders, Leafs, Phoenix, Colorado. Other teams that have a really good chance to be very bad are Dallas, Montreal, Edmonton, Ottawa, and Florida. I think the Thrashers, Lightning, and Kings are very much on the way up.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Oh man, i have no idea what to say about this, you better go hide, because the whole leafs nation will rip you to shreds.

Cheers,

Uh- Oh

Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
You've got to be kidding me! Jesus christ.
Which part? That the leafs have only been marginally better than the Islanders? That's fact. A consistent disappointment. This isn't controversial, right?

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Quote:
Which part? That the leafs have only been marginally better than the Islanders? That's fact. A consistent disappointment. This isn't controversial, right?

Cheers,

Dan-o
I'd make that since 2005. The Leafs were very, very good in 2003-2004. Since then, just as mediocre as the Islanders. Both teams have been awful the last four seasons.

Pure Slaughter Value is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 08:28 AM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 400
Islanders
Avalanche
Leafs

Book it!!

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Drakkor

Quote:
All of these teams have a better prospect pool than Toronto, I hope the Leafs get a high pick this year
It would be nice if we could, but I think the Leafs draft in the 8-10 range.

Last edited by Drakkor: 08-09-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Drakkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Stubbs88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Ryan Miller, Thomas Vanek, and Derek Roy will make sure the Sabres finish no less than 10th in the East next year......barring major injuries.

I think people forget the importance of team culture and chemistry. Sure, the Leafs added some guys, as did Montreal and the Rangers.....but will it work out? Can a team like Phoenix change the losing culture that plagues that franchise? ( They were close last year )

My bottom five as of right now.....

1) Colorado.....Did not fix their goal tending problem. Need all their young forwards to have career years to have a shot at the playoffs.....Chances are we get more of the same from Svatos and company.

2) N.Y. Islanders.....Could be musical goalies on the Island. While the future looks promising I don't see a very good D at the moment on the Island, let alone a forward core that is going to be giving JT much support.

3) Florida Panthers.....Once again, I love the future for the Panthers, but the loss of Bouw. and the need for guys like Horton, Frolik, Booth and company to all have breakout seasons is asking a lot. I see Florida having problems scoring yet again, and giving up more goals in the process.

4) Phoenix Coyotes.....I think the Yotes will be a better team next year, but the problem lies in the fact that so will everyone else around them. The Ducks, Sharks, Kings, and Stars will all be starting the year with better rosters. Given that the Yotes are a very emotional team due to their youth movement a bad start could be too much to dig out of. While not sort on top end prospects, the Coyotes youth movement has yet to take that next step.....some think this is the year.....I do not.

5) Montreal Canadiens.......This will anger many I know. I just feel that the culture around this team, with so many players leaving and arriving, and a new coach is going to be quite chaotic. Price needs to return to form, Gomez and Gionta need to find their chemistry from years back, Cammy needs to score at least 30 goals.....so many question marks for a team that ended last season in utter despair. Right now I would even put the Ron Wilson Leafs ahead of them.

Of course.....April will come and all these teams will be in the playoffs...
No way Montreal finishes in the bottome 5 of the league, I would be shocked if they finished bottom 5 in the east. If everyone plays to their ability and the new guys click, the Habs could be fighting for the division. If not, they will be fighting for 7th-8th spot.

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 07:36 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

According to THN...The Rangers will

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Quote:

Cheers,

Dan-o
You need to get outside more.

Cheers,

TBG

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 01:01 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

I love my Avs, but this is a going to be a rough one. I'm thinking top-5 pick for sure, and in all likelihood even higher.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 01:08 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Draft Day 2010:

3. Ottawa- Who would have thought the Battle of Ontario would end up like this? Ottawa is content with adding Cam Fowler to their lineup.

4. Phoenix- Sucky coaching and financial troubles will help them FAIL. They should trade their pick for a star player but choose John McFarland instead. Horrible Decision.

5. Colorado- Stastny, Hannan, Duchene, Wolski will keep them from sucking too hard, they will improve slightly. Avs select Brett Connolly.
The List? Oh ****

I would not want to add Hall. I would want Fowler.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Slaughter Value View Post
I'd make that since 2005. The Leafs were very, very good in 2003-2004. Since then, just as mediocre as the Islanders. Both teams have been awful the last four seasons.
Eh.. A few wins, and 2 playoff series... Equal number of playoff appearances.. 1 playoff series eeked out by ruining Mike Peca's career..

Still, isn't it obvious how the attitude is way bigger than the results?

Quote:
You need to get outside more.

Cheers,

TBG
Is that the best you can do?

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 11:01 AM
bobermay

My Predictions:

30th: Colorado Avalance, and Draft Taylor Hall
29th: New York Islanders, and draft Cam Fowler
28th: Ottawa Senators, and draft Kirill Kabanov
27th: Pheonix Coyotes, and draft Brandon Gormley
26th: Dallas Stars, and draft Teemu Pulkennen (sp)
25th: Florida Panthers, and draft Erik Gudbranson
24th: Toronto Maple Leafs, and draft John McFarland or Brett Connolly (Another 7th pick for Toronto)
23rd: Edmonton Oilers, and draft the player Toronto doesn't.
22nd: Montreal Canadiens, and I don't care who they draft .

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Qvist

In ranked order:

NY Islanders
Toronto
Phoenix
Colorado
Tampa Bay

Tampa Bay

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Draft Day 2010:

Yes, Garth Snow held up Burke at gunpoint and literally robbed him of Tavares. The draft was almost two months ago. Still bitter over the fact that you fell for the big TO media hype about JT holding out and Burke's big mouth that he was going to get his man at the draft? Get over it already. Last time I checked Tampa, Colorado, Atlanta, LA and Phoenix all picked higher than the mighty Leafs. I suppsoe they were in on the big conspiracy to rob TO or the prospects they "deserve" too, huh?

And if you don't think there's any negative impact in having your team suck year after year after year, come on down to the Nassau Coliseum any night that the Islanders aren't playing the Rangers, and you'll see what kind of negative impact years of suckage can have on a franchise. Most fans don't want shiny new prospects, they want wins and championships. Isles fans are no different.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote