HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shanahan re-signs with Jersey

Old
08-08-2009, 01:26 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
I think some Devils fans are overrating his value while others are underrating his value. Leadership and mentoring is subjective, and the results vary.

However, Shanny can still hit the net with accuracy and play a PP, plus he will never shy away from giving up his body to make a play.

That being said, The Devils were a 50-win calibre team before he got there and they failed to get out of the 1st round despite very high expectations. I think Shanny can help and not hurt their chances, but his days as being a game breaker are dead and buried.

Marginal performer at best, IMO. But he's cheap so really not a bad signing

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 01:29 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I think some Devils fans are overrating his value while others are underrating his value. Leadership and mentoring is subjective, and the results vary.

However, Shanny can still hit the net with accuracy and play a PP, plus he will never shy away from giving up his body to make a play.

That being said, The Devils were a 50-win calibre team before he got there and they failed to get out of the 1st round despite very high expectations. I think Shanny can help and not hurt their chances, but his days as being a game breaker are dead and buried.

Marginal performer at best, IMO. But he's cheap so really not a bad signing
It's not like people expected Shanny to make the Devils instant contenders. Shanahan or no Shanahan, the Devils' problems were still at center and defense.

This year, just as last year, he is depth and mentor signing. Nobody expects him to be a game breaker.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonDRW View Post
some guys do not know when they need to stop.
And some fans feel that they need to tell players when to give up their careers, their livelihoods. Still (modestly) productive, future HOF players, no less.

You give up your job first.

Guess they should have a max age limit in the NHL, eh? Force a guy out based on Date Of Birth, not performance. Hint: Shanahan is still more valuable than a few shiiiiiny early 20-somethings.

Last edited by Trottier: 08-08-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Crimson Devil*

^ This guy is a golden reason why I love the Islanders (despite them being rivals), their fan base, and just the place in general. Probably one of the classiest fan bases around.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 01:52 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
Even Sather knew he was done.
So, new to this "NHL" thing, are ya?

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayba View Post
lol at the replies from devils fans. if he adds all you claim he does then i guess the all the other teams in the nhl must be stupid for not giving him a better deal then what the devils just gave him. I mean he is such a great everything apparently, I guess the rest of the league must have fallen asleep on him. Even Sather knew he was done.
I hope you know that the only teams that Shanny was in discussions with was NJ and NYR right? he wanted to stay close to his family who is in NYC. He wouldn't have even listened to offers from other teams. How/why would the Rangers even bother signing him when they don't even have Dubinsky signed yet? There is no point to have another 1 mil 4th liner on the team after you already have 3 in Voros, Rissmiller and Brashear, and two of those wont even be playing.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 02:47 PM
JimEIV

A 40 year old player can make real significant contributions to a team.

I would point to the contributions Dave Andreychuk made to Tampa's Cup winning team at an older age than Shanahan is now.

I would also argue Brendan is in better shape than Dave was then.

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Sayba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
A 40 year old player can make real significant contributions to a team.

I would point to the contributions Dave Andreychuk made to Tampa's Cup winning team at an older age than Shanahan is now.

I would also argue Brendan is in better shape than Dave was then.
Adreychuck was also the captain of that team and scored 21 goals that year.

If Shanahan scores 20 goals then I will be dead wrong. My comments are based mostly on my observations of watching Shanahan play as a Ranger. I thought he was done, the rangers thought he was done. That is why they didn't bring him back last year. He played 30 games with the devils and maybe he had something left in the tank after a long rest and that is what the devils fan base their comments on. I guess we will just have to see what he does this year.

Sayba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 05:49 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Adreychuck was also the captain of that team and scored 21 goals that year.

If Shanahan scores 20 goals then I will be dead wrong. My comments are based mostly on my observations of watching Shanahan play as a Ranger. I thought he was done, the rangers thought he was done. That is why they didn't bring him back last year. He played 30 games with the devils and maybe he had something left in the tank after a long rest and that is what the devils fan base their comments on. I guess we will just have to see what he does this year.
You seem to have quite a thick head.

No Devils fans are saying Shanny is here to score goals, produce points, and play on the top lines. You keep suggesting "he's done". Yeah, chances are he couldn't be very productive playing on the top lines, but that isn't what he's here to do. He wasn't signed to contribute on the scoresheet. The only people assuming otherwise are Ranger fans.

He was received an offer from this team because he is a veteran presence. He's here to mentor the younger players. I don't know why you suggest that the Devils are looking to him as an offensive weapon.

Old
08-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Sayba

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL Kyle View Post
You seem to have quite a thick head.

No Devils fans are saying Shanny is here to score goals, produce points, and play on the top lines. You keep suggesting "he's done". Yeah, chances are he couldn't be very productive playing on the top lines, but that isn't what he's here to do. He wasn't signed to contribute on the scoresheet. The only people assuming otherwise are Ranger fans.

He was received an offer from this team because he is a veteran presence. He's here to mentor the younger players. I don't know why you suggest that the Devils are looking to him as an offensive weapon.

My original point was I would rather have a player who can skate and be productive on the ice rather than a player to do what you just said. If that is all you want out of him then sure great signing, amazing, incredible, his leadership will just just transform those guys around him. As a matter of fact all teams should just have an old washed up name guy on the team for the same purpose. What players can teams start luring out of retirement???

Sayba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Crimson Devil*

Since when are third/fourth liners dependent on scoring?

Until you give a good enough explanation, you ARE in the wrong, whether Shanny scores 50 goals, or 5.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Mongo Nation

I'd rather have a washed-up 650 goal scorer who can't score anymore for $1 Million than some 4th line bum who could never score to begin with for the same price.

Mongo Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
My original point was I would rather have a player who can skate and be productive on the ice rather than a player to do what you just said. If that is all you want out of him then sure great signing, amazing, incredible, his leadership will just just transform those guys around him. As a matter of fact all teams should just have an old washed up name guy on the team for the same purpose. What players can teams start luring out of retirement???
Shanahan isn't just any old veteran, he's the active goalscoring leader. He still has a wicked shot, and even if he has lost a step from his speed, his sound positional play allows him to keep up. You clearly didn't watch Shanahan in action last year. He's still got it, and he raised his game in clutch moments to give the team a lift.

Despite his impressive career totals, Shanny is not here to be an offensive weapon (we have plenty of those), he is here to play in our bottom 6 and mentor our younger players. With our team moving towards younger players, having a solid veteran like Shanny to ease the transition is necessary, and I have no doubt that he will fill both of those roles admirably.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 06:18 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
So who would you rather have on your fourth line? A waste of space like Donald Brashear? A hoax like Aaron Voros?

Old
08-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterJohnny View Post
I'd rather have a washed-up 650 goal scorer who can't score anymore for $1 Million than some 4th line bum who could never score to begin with for the same price.
He can still score though, it may not be 40+ goals a year, but he can easily put up 8-12 goals.

Old
08-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Mongo Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
He can still score though, it may not be 40+ goals a year, but he can easily put up 8-12 goals.
Yeah I know I just worded it that way to make it more dramatic

Mongo Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Yeah I know I just worded it that way to make it more dramatic
ahh I see I see.

Old
08-09-2009, 08:16 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Well, we got him for less than they are paying Brashear.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:22 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

He's going to help most on the half-wall on the powerplay.He still has a great shot and at worst will open up space for the other guys to do their business. With Shanhan and Rolston we'll have the big shot threat on both units.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Bob Sacamanu

Damn, I was hoping he'd be a Red Wing this year.

Bob Sacamanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 10:36 AM
JimEIV

Quote:

My comments are based mostly on my observations of watching Shanahan play as a Ranger. I thought he was done, the rangers thought he was done.

The Rangers have a tendency on misusing players.

If you expect a 38 year old to be a primary scoring threat I might come to the
conclusion that he is done also.

Poor Luc Robitaille looked like he was done also in New York.

Bobby Holik went from checker to 1st line center? New York seems to have this Idea that if you pay a second line center (Holik, drury or Gomez) or a 3rd line winger (to many to name over the years) enough money they will play like a 1st line player.

Then you boo them out of town because they were "done" or didn't perform to your expectations...Hey don't get me wrong, as a Devil fan I love the approach -- Please Ranger Management never change.

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
didnt Sather offer Shanny a contract last year after dicking around with it? and then Shanny declined?

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
didnt Sather offer Shanny a contract last year after dicking around with it? and then Shanny declined?
I don't think that's what happened. Shanny really wanted to return with the Rangers and was holding out for them, rejecting other offers over the summer of 2008. If they had offered him a deal that wasn't a total insult I'm sure he would have re-signed with them. Eventually he realised they weren't going to offer him a contract, and when we came along with a deal he signed.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Marty30

Quote:
I'd rather have a washed-up 650 goal scorer who can't score anymore for $1 Million than some 4th line bum who could never score to begin with for a higher price.
Fixed

Marty30 is offline   Reply With Quote