HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Granato named Pens assistant coach

Old
08-05-2009, 01:15 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Granato named Pens assistant coach

yes, it was tony granato who broke the boards. he apologizes, i'm sure.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=463547

Quote:
"We are excited to have a guy who's accomplished as much as Tony join our staff as an assistant coach," Penguins Head Coach Dan Bylsma said. "In addition to his 13 years as an NHL player, he's also been a head coach and assistant coach for six years with the Avalanche, and all of that experience will make him a tremendous asset to the Penguins organization."

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:19 PM
WVP

Kinda random. So it's Bylsma, Granato, Yeo and Meloche?

Very young group overall.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Nice.

My father coached him in high school and he used to baby sit me and my brother when we were kids.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:23 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Our front office is starting to look like a third line from the mid-90s.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:31 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Kilometers View Post
Our front office is starting to look like a third line from the mid-90s.
I'd still like my chances with a Granato - Lemieux - Bylsma line.

Old
08-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Still would like an assistant who is a former defenseman....

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Jacob

He wasn't really my first choice but I figured he'd be on the radar, being a former teammate of Bylsma's. Pretty nice having an assistant with a decent amount of head coaching experience at the NHL level. That should help DB out.

My only concern is, with 3 former forwards behind the bench, is that enough knowledge to impart on our young d-men?

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:49 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Reverse Homer View Post
Still would like an assistant who is a former defenseman....
I agree. Sarge is good, but I wouldn't be putting him on the level of a Pronger or Niedermayer as far as players who a team could rely on to coach young, up and coming defensemen.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:01 PM
CurseOfKavorka

Excellent signing, fantastic addition.

CurseOfKavorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I agree. Sarge is good, but I wouldn't be putting him on the level of a Pronger or Niedermayer as far as players who a team could rely on to coach young, up and coming defensemen.
Why not? Gonch has been one of the premier offensive defensemen over the course of his career. For young skilled defensmen, the list of skilled, offensively proficient mentors I'd prefer over gonch is quite short.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:19 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Taste View Post
Why not? Gonch has been one of the premier offensive defensemen over the course of his career. For young skilled defensmen, the list of skilled, offensively proficient mentors I'd prefer over gonch is quite short.
I would like Letang and Goligoski to be a little more well rounded than Sarge was the first 12 or so years of his career. He is still an offensive minded defenseman. He has become more well rounded with age, but not near the levels a Pronger or Niedermayer are at.

Both of our young guys need much more work in the defensive zone than the offensive zone.

Old
08-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I would like Letang and Goligoski to be a little more well rounded than Sarge was the first 12 or so years of his career. He is still an offensive minded defenseman. He has become more well rounded with age, but not near the levels a Pronger or Niedermayer are at.

Both of our young guys need much more work in the defensive zone than the offensive zone.
I'd rather look at a mentor's current performance, work ethic, and leadership than how he played for the capitals 9 years ago.

Gonchar is not only a calming influence for his fellow defensemen, but for the entire team as well. He plays through injury, handles himself with dignity and class, and is one of the premiere pp players in the league to go along with top-10 defense.

Niedermayer, yes. Pronger, no way. Letang seems to have progressed better than some other 05 dman draftees. Goligoski does need defensive work, but I'd put a lot of his troubles on his subpar strength.

I guess what I'm getting at is I think its more important to have a good coaching mentor in wbs. In the nhl, I think gogo will benefit more from improved strength and the lessened pressure of having good character guys like gonch, orpik, mckee, and eaton around him.

I'm just not worried about the lack of pronger and niedermayer on this team right now.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:39 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

I like it. Granato seems to be one of those guys who is good as an assistant coach but not a head coach. Like someone else metnioned his head coaching experience is also a plus. I didnt even think of him as a possibility and frankly I did expect the Pens to go for someone more experienced, but i think this will work out.

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:58 PM
WVP

I'm still not 100% used to seeing consistently sound decision making from this organization.

Old
08-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
I'm still not 100% used to seeing consistently sound decision making from this organization.
Likewise. This organization makes it way too for this board to find things to be angry about.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Kinguin

I'm not having much time to read at work, but some word about Granato maybe assuming the PP?

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:17 PM
SenatorArmy

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy
Plan the parade!

SenatorArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:31 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguin View Post
I'm not having much time to read at work, but some word about Granato maybe assuming the PP?
The organization under RS has been pretty mum about who actually runs what. So, my guess is that we'll all just assume he does if the PP does well and we'll blame Yeo if it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldblum View Post
Likewise. This organization makes it way too for this board to find things to be angry about.
I'm angry about your lack of good old fashioned 'Merican "can do!" attitude, mister.

I've got my eye on you, pinko.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:39 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

What an outrage! Anything less than Scotty Bowman calibre assistant coach is simply unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:40 PM
BrOrpik 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66 View Post
What an outrage! Anything less than Scotty Bowman calibre assistant coach is simply unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!
Might as well start checking out the players coming this draft, we better tank FAST!

BrOrpik 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:45 PM
D Heinze

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
No way man, not with our depth at wing, young goaltender and waaaay too much money tied up in our centers.

Not to mention that Caputi bugger. Tangradi peed in his cheerios the second Whitney was shipped out west.

That and as long as Wade Redden is on skates, our cup runneth over with mal content

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 04:06 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Taste View Post
I'd rather look at a mentor's current performance, work ethic, and leadership than how he played for the capitals 9 years ago.

Gonchar is not only a calming influence for his fellow defensemen, but for the entire team as well. He plays through injury, handles himself with dignity and class, and is one of the premiere pp players in the league to go along with top-10 defense.

Niedermayer, yes. Pronger, no way. Letang seems to have progressed better than some other 05 dman draftees. Goligoski does need defensive work, but I'd put a lot of his troubles on his subpar strength.

I guess what I'm getting at is I think its more important to have a good coaching mentor in wbs. In the nhl, I think gogo will benefit more from improved strength and the lessened pressure of having good character guys like gonch, orpik, mckee, and eaton around him.

I'm just not worried about the lack of pronger and niedermayer on this team right now.
I'm not saying we need Pronger or Niedermayer. I was merely stating that we could use someone who has a strong defensive background.

Whitney playing with Niedermayer and Pronger looked like a much different player.

Old
08-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Seems like a perfect fit to replace coach Fitz. An American (Like Fitz), relatively young, a former player etc. Granato should be the type of guy the players respect and respond well to.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 04:09 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
He wasn't really my first choice but I figured he'd be on the radar, being a former teammate of Bylsma's. Pretty nice having an assistant with a decent amount of head coaching experience at the NHL level. That should help DB out.

My only concern is, with 3 former forwards behind the bench, is that enough knowledge to impart on our young d-men?
My thoughts too, but Fitzgerald and Savard are still active in the organization I believe. I imagine one or both will take part in training camp at the very least.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:24 PM
AyVee

Pens hire Tony Granato as Assistant Coach

double post

Last edited by AyVee: 08-05-2009 at 05:38 PM.
AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote