HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Horcoff+Nilsson for Nylander+Steckel

Old
08-05-2009, 08:12 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

vCash: 500
Horcoff is ten times the player Nylander is. The only thing this accomplishes for the Oilers is to move them into lottery pick country.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Horcoff is ten times the player Nylander is. The only thing this accomplishes for the Oilers is to move them into lottery pick country.
Hey, it's better than finishing 9th-12th every year!

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
Horcoff has like 5 years left on his contract, Nylander has 1.
Horcoff has six, Nylander two. Horcoff has six years of NTC, Nylander one more year of NMC.

Nylander is a useless player and Horcoff a valuable player, but not to the tune of $5.5M/yr. He had one 70+ point season, and has been a 25-50 point player aside from that one year in his career.

Career points: 53, 50, 51, 73, lockout, 40, 33, 22. Nice player, but those career point totals are inconsistent with that contract.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Alex28*

Jesus ****ing Christ no. Horcoff is the last player I want on the caps, ever. Watching him hold back talented forwards in Edmonton while getting paid Getzlaf money makes me die a little inside.

Edmonton takes this and runs for the hills.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

Horrible for the Oilers.

Horcoff is overpaid, but he's a second line center at worst. Nylander is a third line center at best.

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Horcoff has six, Nylander two. Horcoff has six years of NTC, Nylander one more year of NMC.

Nylander is a useless player and Horcoff a valuable player, but not to the tune of $5.5M/yr. He had one 70+ point season, and has been a 25-50 point player aside from that one year in his career.

Career points: 53, 50, 51, 73, lockout, 40, 33, 22. Nice player, but those career point totals are inconsistent with that contract.
That was the year he was signed to the deal and the 50 points (21 G) came in 53 games, so I'd say he's had 2 good seasons. Inconsistent? Yes. Overpaid? Yes. But not as bad as people imply. If he were making 4.5 while having a season like last year (and he actually made 3.6) there wouldn't be nearly as much moaning about Horc from the (so-called) Oiler faithful. 65+ points is my magic number for getting value from him. He is one of the hardest workers in the NHL and I think he'll bounce back next year and we can put to rest the daily Horc proposals.

However, I totally agree with Caps fans, there is no way (even if you could guarantee Horc would be 65pts+) they could take a contract like that with budding stars Semin and Backstrom needing to re-up in a year (with a dropping cap).

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Fiddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Jesus ****ing Christ no. Horcoff is the last player I want on the caps, ever. Watching him hold back talented forwards in Edmonton while getting paid Getzlaf money makes me die a little inside.

Horcoff does not hold back talented forwards he is overpaid for what he is an extremely good two way player that can play on the first line but no chance does he hold back player on Edmonton.

Edmonton does not do this deal Horcoff while being maligned on these boards is a useful player and i bet both the GM of the oilers and the coaches see it this way. Nylander adds nothing to this team horcoff doesn't already bring.

This deal isn't done by either team!

Fiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:07 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post

I am not even a fan of Horcoff, but you are so wrong here it's not even funny. Horcoff would be one of the leagues best second line centers, although I agree his contract is a freaken joke.

**** you Heatley!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
1: Nylander has a NTC
2: Nylander hasn't been able to do anything right since he played in NY on the same line as Jagr
3: Nylander's wife prevented Nylander from signing with Edmonton when he was a UFA, think she's changed her mind so quickly?
Not that this trade gets made by either team, but Nylander has stated that he didn't sign in Edmonton because he had more friends in Washington at the time, and that he would play there if traded.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:10 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Fan Forever View Post
Horrible for the Oilers.

Horcoff is overpaid, but he's a second line center at worst. Nylander is a third line center at best.
That's not likely true for Nylander. There's no reason he couldn't put up decent 2nd line center numbers if things went reasonably well for him (fit the system better than he does now, got some PP time, etc.)

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Horcoff's contract is too long and too much. But switch him and Nylander last year and my belief is the Capitals get past Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:35 PM
0V3CHKiN

This represents our salary cap:

0V3CHKiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Oilers say no in a heartbeat.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Oh dear god no they don't. I'd rather have Nylander than Horcoff.
are you high? Horcoff is overpaid but saying that you would rather have Nylander over Horcoff is just ridiculous.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:07 PM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
are you high? Horcoff is overpaid but saying that you would rather have Nylander over Horcoff is just ridiculous.
Horcoff is the better player, but I'd rather have Nylander and his contract then Horcoff and his.

backs4mvp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:21 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Horcoff: 6 years, 5.5 mil cap hit

Nylander: 2 years, 4.875 cap hit

Yeah, Nylander please.
youre a goof. Horcoff would help you 10 fold in the playoffs as a second line center. key faceoffs, excellent PKer, guts, hard ass worker. whatever. keep Mr. Soft Serve Turd and hope he can return to no form when he played with Jagr. dudes toast.

the Caps need some major vet help and people who can help structure their overall game or theyre going NOWHERE.
i wouldnt do the trade anyhow. Steckel isnt worth Horcoff and Nylander is just a "waiting for him to die" contract thrown in.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
I think Horcoff's contract is too long and too much. But switch him and Nylander last year and my belief is the Capitals get past Pittsburgh in the playoffs.
That may well be a fair assessment. I like an awful lot of things about Horcoff; I just hate the contract.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
Did you read the thread? The Caps can be rid of Nylander in a year. Horcoff is around for a loooooong time. Giant pass. Horcoff may be a better but has a far FAR worse contract.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:29 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Did you read the thread? The Caps can be rid of Nylander in a year. Horcoff is around for a loooooong time. Giant pass. Horcoff may be a better but has a far FAR worse contract.
Exactly....boat anchor contract that doesn't end for a long time. Nyls is off the Caps salary cap next year, be it through buyout or demotion to the AHL. Horcoff just isn't even close to worth his contract.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 08:26 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
youre a goof. Horcoff would help you 10 fold in the playoffs as a second line center. key faceoffs, excellent PKer, guts, hard ass worker. whatever. keep Mr. Soft Serve Turd and hope he can return to no form when he played with Jagr. dudes toast.

the Caps need some major vet help and people who can help structure their overall game or theyre going NOWHERE.
i wouldnt do the trade anyhow. Steckel isnt worth Horcoff and Nylander is just a "waiting for him to die" contract thrown in.
You just described Steckel and/or Laich.

I'll reiterate: 6 years, 5.5 mil. If he's not going to be a big contributor offensively (and for that salary he should be a 60 point guy, shouldn't he?) then a 6 year deal is nothing but an anchor. I like his game, and if he had two years left I'd do the swap in a heartbeat. But at this point it's no contest.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Flames 1st pick

Both Horcoff and Nylander have negative value...i.e. you can sign better players from the UFA market.

Nylander is a total loss for one year. Horcoff is a little bit better but he has long term negative impact.

Pick your poison.

Steckel is useful but he is a dime a dozen. Nilsson has some potential but he may be useless

Again pick your poison

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:14 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
Both Horcoff and Nylander have negative value...i.e. you can sign better players from the UFA market.

Nylander is a total loss for one year. Horcoff is a little bit better but he has long term negative impact.

Pick your poison.

Steckel is useful but he is a dime a dozen. Nilsson has some potential but he may be useless

Again pick your poison

Agree with most of your post...except the dime a dozen line about Steckel.

Sure...he's a bottom six player....but he's turned himself into a very dependable 3rd line center...and a top 5 faceoff winning guy in the NHL. At only 725k...he's got a great contract for what he provides.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Steckel fills a nice defensive forward niche and he costs very little, which is a necessary component of any roster that includes a superstar under a salary cap system. Steckel also played very well in the playoffs. Not an impact player, Steckel nonetheless has size, knows his role and is effective.

Old
08-06-2009, 09:53 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Steckel fills a nice defensive forward niche and he costs very little, which is a necessary component of any roster that includes a superstar under a salary cap system. Steckel also played very well in the playoffs.
I'm actually starting to worry a bit about his next contract...if he gets one here...which I hope he will.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

I think if you forget about contracts and just look at the players for a second, Washington destroys Edmonton in this deal. Even without the salary cap, Edmonton never does this as it takes away their best center and doesn't replace him.

However, the cap hits are important in the salary cap era, so this trade works even less. Washington gets better immediately, but it would hurt them in the near future, and Edmonton gets worse immediately only to make room under their salary cap for who exactly? It's not like they are spending that money on anyone else anyway.

Just not a trade that makes much sense in terms of value, money, or needs.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote