HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Approval Rating: Glen Sather

View Poll Results: Approval Rating: Glen Sather
Yes 45 51.14%
No 43 48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-06-2009, 08:44 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Fans who can find anything positive in Sather's tenure deserve Sather.

This nonsense of pre or post lockout as if it represents the AD or BC is the funniest of all.

Post lockout there isn't enough evidence to praise him yet people who have been dumped on for all of these years by Sather assume things are now good because the team may have some decent defensemen in the pipeline.

Great job, Glen.

You really can fool a lot of the people a lot of the time.
Yea...that's it exactly.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
This offseson: B

Overall: C-
Ditto

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:30 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Yea...that's it exactly.
Good to see you're in agreement.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
This offseson: B

Overall: C-
Thats about right.

He was flat out terrible from 2000-2004, where he fell into the same traps as doomed Rangers GM's that have preceeded him. Since 2004, theres been the woefully misjudged free agent signings, but hes actually been very good at both trades and protecting the youth.

The only flat out WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING moment I've ever had with Sather was the Wade Redden signing. Every other move which turned out to be a mistake, I could at least understand.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:51 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

This is a resounding NO.

Post lockout, pre lockout does not matter.

Sather's inability to properly alocate $$$ has continually put this team in a bad position. Yes he has made some good moves, but they have generally been facilitated by a previously awful move.

In nearly a Decade he has yet to build anything that resembles a serious cup contender, whether thru re-build? or massive overpayment. For me/The Rangers this is the difference between doing a good job or not.

But I guess he has the rest of his life to try!

EDIT: In regards to this off-season, so far he has been solid.

Last edited by N9Y4R: 08-06-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: This off-season
N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Shadowtron

F - Despite all the high-fiving that goes on here whenever that cigar chomping dope makes a move, it has resulted in exactly 2 playoff round victories in, what, 10 seasons?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:01 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I liked him this offseason until he pulled the Zherdev crap. His "trade" of Z for Ales reminds me of his earlier "trade" of Schneider for Malakhov. It will work out just as well.
Agreed. The team finally seems headed in the right direction and I'm more pumped about the minors than I have been in a long time, but combine continued spiteful moves like running Nik out of town on a rail (and agree or disagree about the strategic benefits of the move, you should want a GM who's making these decisions dispassionately) and his previous blunders and I give him an overall failing grade.

If we were talking just about this offseason, believe it or not, I would give him a positive rating. I was very happy with the draft, and the Gomez trade is SUCH a win that it more than balances out the Zherdev and Huggy Bear moves, which I did not like. But combine it with the previous 8 years and he's still in an overall negative position for me.

To sum up, this offseason is a B+ based entirely on the draft and the magnificent Gomez trade, both of which received unqualified A+ grades from me, and the Gaborik signing, which was an A-/B+. These were only mildly offset by the Kotalik signing (B, because on its face, it's an acceptable move - the main problem with it is that it took Zherdev's spot and cap money), the Brashear signing (B-) and the letting Zherdev walk for nothing (C-/D+) moves. Annoyed as I am by that most recent move, that still averages out pretty well.

But overall for his tenure, he's still somewhere in the C range, and I'm sorry, but that isn't the level of excellence I expect from my GM. He might jump up somewhere into the B (and therefore overall approval) range if he can pull off another miracle trade for a first liner to play with Gabby, but until then, he's still in the negative.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Jxmarts

I think Sather is benefitting at the moment from a little too much optimism on the part of Ranger fans. His track record says mediocrity, and I don't see that changing yet.

The Gaborik signing certainly has Ranger fans optimistic this summer, but I'm not as gung ho about it as most. If healthy, he is indeed an all-star winger. But he is not necessarily a top 5 NHL forward as many here assume, and I for one would not have given an injury prone player the kind of contract he got from Sather. It's a huge risk, and most Ranger fans are not considering the downside. If Gaborik gets hurt, I'm not so certain Tortarella can deliver the type of coaching job Lemaire did in Minnesota to compensate without his offensive star. The contracts of Kotalik & Brashear do not thrill me either.

I will give credit to Sather for amassing some promising prospects, but most of them do have question marks that we Ranger fans prefer to overlook. I like Anisimov & Grachev especially, but besides Henrik, Sather's none of prospects over 9 years haven't turned into elite players yet. (Cherepanov was likely on his way sadly.) Until a few more of them do so that we can compete with the NHL's best, I'll refrain from doing cartwheels.

Last edited by Jxmarts: 08-06-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I liked him this offseason until he pulled the Zherdev crap. His "trade" of Z for Ales reminds me of his earlier "trade" of Schneider for Malakhov. It will work out just as well.
This is classic revisionist history right here.

Sather was the one that pulled that crap with Zherdev? I think you better look into that and youll find that Nik "The NHL is just a job" Zherdev and his agent were the ones playing games.

Being Z and his ultra-inflated sense of self-worth put Sather in a difficult position, I'd say Ales Kotalik was one of the better consolation prizes out there.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HoosierDaddy

I curesed the day he was brought on to run the Rangers (into the ground). He milked Gretzky and the boys into a teflon coating that, Like Harry Potters dissapearing cloak, makes him impervious to being fired and critique. Wasn't it the Baffoon from Banf-f-f that GUARANTEED multiple Cups if he had a budget like Smith had?

This moron gets rid of half the team every summer. The only ones that don't get traded are the humongous overpayments that no one in their right mind, outside of Gainey, would ever dream of adding to their roster.

EPIC FAIL

That goes double for the president of he lucky sperm club D'oh lan.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:08 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

I think hes done a great job THIS offseason by adding some scoring depth. However, chemistry might be a big problem with this team, he may have changed too many pieces..

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote