HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are you a New York Ranger fan?

Old
08-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Born into it as well. Really started getting into it through collecting hockey cards in the early 90s, though, when I was in elementary school. Then I really became fanatical in 94. The Rangers won the Cup on my 11th birthday.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 07:32 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

A combination of my dad being a Devils fan and me saying "Oh yeah?" and my first memories of watching Messier, Leetch, Gretzky, Graves, and Richter play during the 90's.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 07:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

My answer is simple, I grew up in Northern NJ and when I developed an interest for hockey (1991), the Rangers were the only team aired on your standard cable package... Back then you had to pay extra per month for the Devils on Sports Channel so I went with the team that was available to me, the Rangers... Despite the Devils success I'm still glad things worked out the way they did... But yeah, had the Devils been available on TV, it would have been a toss up between the 2 teams.... At 9 years old I definitely would not have defaulted to NJ based on my residence....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 08:22 PM
SkerZ
LGR

My whole family are Islander fans besides my uncle who is a die hard ranger fan(that 40 year old guy at the pick up games still rocking his esposito jersey) and I more or less grew up with him so from the time I was 4yrs old I been a blueshirt fan playing competetive hockey and watching everygame for 20yrs

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Garv23

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
1979 JD carried the Rangers to the cup finals against Montreal, I was 7/8 yo. I would listen to the games on the radio when I went to bed.
The next winter, 1980 was one of the greatest 2 weeks in sports with the U.S. Olympic Hockey teams run, beating Russia and then Finland to win the Gold in Lake Placid. This was the defining moment in my hockey fandom, as I'm sure it was for any Hockey fan my age. I still get emotional thinking/talking about it, amazing.
I became a hardcore Ranger fan over that 1yr span and have not looked back.

EDIT: Now my son is 2yo, he already has the "Lets Go Rangers" chant down!
Nice! This is exactly the same with me man. I'll never forget watching those games with my dad. Still gives me chills. Like you, over that year I became a lifelong, rabid Ranger fan.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:14 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Dad would always watch the games in the mid 80's and I would stay up and watch some of them with him. He was a Ranger fan and therefore, I became one. I was always a fan and it's only grown since then. I would always watch as many games as I could.
Same thing. It was so long ago and i was too young to remember specifics. But I do remember Pierre Larouche was their top goal scorer that year. Or one of the top guys. And some or many of the games were still on channel 9 at the time. There was no Al Trautwig. Instead it was basically just Rosen, J.D. and Bruce Beck was like today's Al Trautwig.

And the Devils were terrible by the way when i first started watching. They were on Sports Channel and their announcers were Gary Thorne, who did the play by play and Peter Mcnabb (former Bruin and current color commentator of the Av's was first with the Devils).

The Islanders were not so bad. They were actually real good with Pat Lafontaine and Randy Wood and had gotten better when they traded those 2 players for Turgeon and Hogue. They also picked up Ranger killer Steve Thomas. Play by play and color commentator was Jiggs McDonald and Ed Westfall (another former Bruin and then an Islander) respectively.

Stan Fichler was NO WHERE near NYR hockey. I couldn't stand him at the time. Now I think he's tolerable.

Plus it helped that when i was young, a few close friends also happened to be Rangers buffs.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:31 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girardi05 View Post
I was born and raised in Hell's Kitchen, Right across from the Old Garden, My mother was a Rangers fan and all my brothers where Icelander fans, I only had to look at the jersey and it was easy to make my decision, The Blueshirts where my team from 1979 till the day I die.
where in Hells Kitchen?

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:37 AM
nyr2417

grandfather went to original 6 games, in turn brought my dad to games in the 60's, in turn went to my first ever game in 1994 vs devils in the playoffs when i was only 4 years old still remember the game and the intensity to this day. I was hooked it was like cocaine for a 4 year old

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:41 AM
nyr2417

Also when i was 6 years old my mom let me make a screen name my name kyle kovats hence KY KO and 18 was my moms bday and then 27 for my favorite player kovalev who wound up gettin the boot i cried my damn eyes out haha

Old
08-07-2009, 12:47 AM
nyr2417

also live in the same town as many current/former devils, brodeur, gionta, daneyko, stevens, mckay, parise all live in my town or the town over brodeur, stevens- essex fells, gionta- roseland, daneyko- north caldwell, mckay parise- west orange

Old
08-07-2009, 01:04 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
My first hockey memory is Game 7 of the 94 Cup Finals. I didn't want to watch the game, because my parents kept a strict 8 o'clock bedtime (I was about to turn 8). So, should I watch the 1st period, or just not watch anything? I chose not watch anything.

Then, I hear two loud screams from the house next door. I know exactly what it is, so I run upstairs to watch the end of the 1st. Then, its bedtime, and I find out the next morning the Rangers won the Cup.

I don't really remember following the sport again until 97, and I didn't really start to go crazy over hockey for a couple more years after that, but those are my first Rangers fandom memories.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:29 AM
ak10r

I started out being a Stars fan in 1998 or so when Shawn Chambers who played his college hockey up here was playing for the Stars (why I started watching the NHL). You all know who he is if you have watch Saturday Night Hockey. In the opening trailer he is the one playing for the North Stars when Lemieux comes down and dinks him and scores, itís also Lemieuxís second all time goal according to the NHL network. But I digress.

Last year when Voros who also played his college hockey came over from Minnesota I wanted watch him play. I had met Voros several times through mutual friends and some of his old teammates. Long story short, for me it is great seeing someone Iíve met playing in the NHL. I was also happy Gomez (gone) and Dubinsky are from Alaska. I really like Callahan, Lundqvist, Stall, Rozsival, Betts (where did he go?) and Avery when he came back. I was sorry top see Orr go who was turning into one of my favorites and apparently Iím one of the few here who likes Zherdev (gone?). The bonus is Chad Johnson also played his college hockey here signed this year to play for the Rangers, maybe if Lundqvist takes a night off I can see him play or at least in pre-season.

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:34 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Basically, my dad raised me to like "the right teams" (Giants, Yankees, Rangers). He followed the Rangers more when he was younger but in the 80s he didn't follow them as much. Around the same time, we got cable and MSG and I watched a few Rangers games growing up and I was hooked. And in the process, I got him hooked on them again. He's a fan but I'm a complete fanatic about them and while I love the Yankees, Giants and even the Knicks, the Rangers have always and will always be my number 1 team. Maybe because I'm into pain, but it wouldn't be any other way.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

My father and grandfather are/were big-time Ranger fans, so my seeds were planted from a very young age. I was born in 1982, and the 1986 run to the conference finals was one of my earliest memories. I was a big fan of Pierre Larouche back then and wore #24 when I played as a result.

Something just clicked with me and hockey. I love the sport, and I love the Rangers more than any of my other favorite pro sports teams combined.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 11:56 AM
casualobserver

Because I'am stupid and "I walk in where angels fear to tread" then i became used
to be in the Insane Asylum and have enjoid every moment of being a NYRanger fan.

casualobserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 09:11 AM
liv4socr20

I was 5 years old sitting in my car listening to the radio. I knew little to nothing about hockey, but my first memory ever and what got me started is a Messier 3 on 5 SH goal. The captain was magical in every regard including capturing my fandom

liv4socr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

I grew up in Montreal as a Habs fan. Saw the 87 Canada cup which turned me off of the Canadiens and their boring conservative style of play and management (at the time).

I became a Pens fan since 87...mainly due to their high flying style...having Mario didn't hurt.

After living in Chicago, then San Jose, and now settled in NJ. I really liked the post lockout management of the Rangers. No more "buy the team" thinking and more "build a team"...and build it to be exciting!

Been a fan since 05-ish....though I'm still a Pens fan first. Yes..I have been told this is a problematic choice .

Only set back was the Drury/Gomez/Redden signings (aka back to "buy a team" mentality)...last year was meh...but Sather has acknowledged his mistake and has taken steps to correct it. Love the future with Dubi, Staal, and Lundqvist is the man! Hope Gabo can keep it together.

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 03:37 PM
satrabyk

For me it the fact that my dad was really into hockey and was also a very serious ranger fan. Although i started to watch the Rangers with deep passion at the age of 5 or 6 and the cup team was not in my memory, i still got hooked and felt at place being a fan of the Rangers. Wathcing OT games of Leetch of Theo Fluery running into the the philly goalie to score. Also probably how difficult they made it in those years of missing the playoffs, really made me appreciate the team after the lockout that was a joy to watch. Some of the decesions make it quite difficult to be as die hard as i want to be for this team, but i kno it will be hard to not follow the Rangers.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 04:43 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I got into hockey around the 95-96 season. That was the year the Panthers made the finals I think, and they were actually my second favorite team for awhile. I didn't start to really like the Rangers as much as I do today until after the year we lost to the Flyers in the conference finals as funny as that is. I became a fan during the dark years, where the most we had to look forward to was Barnaby, McCarthy, Fleury, etc. fighting and causing a ruckus out there.

what's even more strange is I've lived out east on the Island my entire life, and no one in my family was ever big into hockey at all. I just kind of caught it on tv and started getting into it, with the help of things like hockey cards and friends. I never had a friend that was a Rangers fan either really, in fact my best friend and his family were pretty serious Islander fans. Everything was in line for me to be an Isles fan, I guess I just knew better lol

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Cioran

Rangers fans are born, not made.

Otherwise, we'd all be Devils fans or some other Mickey-mouse team.

Cioran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 04:47 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

My dad played for the Rangers and this household wouldn't have it any other way. First class organization.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 05:32 PM
park rangers
Optimist

I ask myself this question all the time.....

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 05:33 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPAULxMARAx View Post
My dad played for the Rangers and this household wouldn't have it any other way. First class organization.
And your dad is????? Paul Mara?

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 08:32 AM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
My first hockey memory is Game 7 of the 94 Cup Finals. I didn't want to watch the game, because my parents kept a strict 8 o'clock bedtime (I was about to turn 8). So, should I watch the 1st period, or just not watch anything? I chose not watch anything.
I had a similar situation. My mother told me I had to go to bed but my dad, who had grown up with the team and knew the significance of the situation, allowed me to stay up and watch the Rangers hoist the cup. I'll never forget that night.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote