HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Starting a Youth Hockey Club/Program

Old
08-06-2009, 02:56 PM
gardenfaithful44

vCash: 500
Starting a Youth Hockey Club/Program

I'm looking to start my own youth hockey program and I dont the slightest idea of where to begin. I've been involved with hockey my entire life. Most recently I coached collegiately and I've worked numerous youth camps in the tri-state area. I'm in my early-mid 20's and I'm looking to start the program on Long Island. I feel I have a good idea of what I want the program to be I just dont know the proper steps to take to get there. I currently in the process of going through the USA Hockey Coaching Certification Program. If you any one has any advice on the steps to take it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

gardenfaithful44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 03:08 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfaithful44 View Post
I'm looking to start my own youth hockey program and I dont the slightest idea of where to begin. I've been involved with hockey my entire life. Most recently I coached collegiately and I've worked numerous youth camps in the tri-state area. I'm in my early-mid 20's and I'm looking to start the program on Long Island. I feel I have a good idea of what I want the program to be I just dont know the proper steps to take to get there. I currently in the process of going through the USA Hockey Coaching Certification Program. If you any one has any advice on the steps to take it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
If i was you i would try and get involved in a current system now and work you way up.Learn and get some experence and get connections.If you just start up a system with little experence and beeing as young as you are you may have some trouble.You have to keep in mind its not just a matter of building a web site and renting ice there is alot and i mean alot more to it then that.To run a system in minor hockey is a very big project and going in with experence etc would be your best bet.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 04:55 PM
LilWinger11

How are your (future) players going to get started? Are you going to run a learn-to-skate/learn-to-play program and have those kids eventually become your Mite and Squirt teams, or will you be using a rink or a figure-skating club's learn-to-skate program as a feeder system?

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote