HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHLers test survivor skills in the wilds (May, Pony, Peters, Montador, Morrison)

Old
08-08-2009, 09:21 AM
LTL

vCash: 500
NHLers test survivor skills in the wilds (May, Pony, Peters, Montador, Morrison)

Quote:
NHLers test survivor skills in the wilds near Hornepayne

A group of current and former NHL hockey players will trade in their five-star lifestyles for two nights in the wilderness surrounding Hornepayne.

The three-day torture test is the brainchild ofSurvivorman TV star Les Stroud.

"He just thinks the fact that we're spoiled hockey players, that he's going to have a heck of a lot of fun with us," said Kris King, a Hornepayne native who played 14 seasons in the NHL.

The event begins Aug. 14. Stroud will provide the participants with a brief survival class in the Hornepayne high school gym, toss them a copy of his book SURVIVE!, and set them loose for two nights and the better part of three days in the wilderness with no food or drink.

"We're going to have to make our own shelter, make our own fires, find our own food," said King. He said the experience will be a real test. "When you leave Hornepayne and you move to the Muskokas your bones tend to forget how cold things can really get," said King.

Among the confirmed contestants are King, free agents Brad May and Andrew Peters, Alex Ponikarovsky, of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Steve Montador, or the Buffalo Sabres, the Colorado Avalanche's strength coach, Chris Butler, and Brendan Morrison, of the Washington Capitals.

King, who now works as the league's senior vice-president of hockey operations in Toronto, has for several years been working on raising funds for the Hornepayne arena, and pitched the town, about 400 kilometres north of the Sault, to Stroud as the site of the show.

It should give Hornepayne, population 1,200, "that proverbial little shot in the arm that sometimes these little towns need that sort of get lost in the shuffle because they're just so far away and so small," said King.

Pick up one of King's hockey cards and it will tell you he hails from Bracebridge, and while he was born there, the son of a CNR brakeman returned as an infant to spend his formative years in Hornepayne.

"I learned how to play hockey up there and obviously learned what winters were about up there and then we moved down to the Muskokas just before my 13th birthday, so that really is where I grew up," said King, 43.

King said several years ago, while in Hornepayne with a couple of NHL buddies, he realized the plight of the arena where he learned to skate.

"The kids were having to go to White River and Hearst and Mattice to rent ice for the hockey season because their dehumidifier conked out and they couldn't make ice," said King.

"Being in Toronto and being 14 hours away by car, it was kind of hard to get things going initially, but we got a real caring group of locals who got on board and we were able to get a grant from Trillium for some improvements," and more money from Hydro One, said King. "With those two grants we were able to purchase a new dehumidifier and have it installed."

TheSurvivormanchallenge will raise money to further refurbish the arena. The challenge will be filmed and will appear on Rogers.

Link

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 09:36 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Awesome. Being an outdoorsy person, and from the same town as Stroud, and having met him, this should be interesting.

I am however concerned about injury. Being in a survivalist situations, however filmed for TV it may be, can still present a lot of dangers. Dont get hurt Poni!

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Cheli

Off-season training regime.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:33 AM
ThinMcWhistle

I loved Kris King, a guy who always wore his heart on his sleeve.

Ran into him once at the Richmond Hill Elgin Cineplex!

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:43 AM
darty

I wonder how those particular guys ended up agreeing to do this; did the producer ask a lot of hockey players if they wanted to do this and these guys were the only ones with nothing going on, or did the players hear about this and then some decided to volunteer to do it?

I also wonder if Brad May convinced Poni to do this, or whether Burke's insistence of community service have anything to do with this. Perhaps he called Poni out on not doing anything, or maybe he was told he would be offered leadership responsibilities (wearing the 'A'?) if he uped his community involvement... <speculate speculate>

darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Thats good to hear.., NHLers get Down and Dirty

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by darty View Post
I also wonder if Brad May convinced Poni to do this, or whether Burke's insistence of community service have anything to do with this. Perhaps he called Poni out on not doing anything, or maybe he was told he would be offered leadership responsibilities (wearing the 'A'?) if he uped his community involvement... <speculate speculate>

It's at least the second random thing he's done in the past week or so.

Old
08-08-2009, 11:30 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darty View Post
Where's Schenn? Probably just at home counting his money.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

The best way to win these Survivor things is your alliances.

So I wonder if Brad May and Alex Ponikarovsky will form a secret alliance and vote Andrew Peters off.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 12:49 PM
MeoTwist

I get to fly these guys out. I work for the company that is doing the flights. I'm not sure who we are flying but it should be interesting who i meet. I'll be wearing my Leafs sweater for sure.

I believe Kris King organized this, and he and the NHLers donated enough money for the Hornepayne Arena to purchase a new dehumidifier for the hockey rink. Now kids can play hockey earlier, and later at the end of the season. A real class act move by Kinger and the other NHLers

MeoTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 12:50 PM
It Kills Me

I'm not overly excited about sending one of our better forwards into a forest for two days with just a book and Les Stroud's advice.. You can imagine the toll two days without food would do to an NHLers body.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 12:50 PM
MeoTwist

Also the sign said Bozak and Hansen would be there, as well as Holloweg.. Not sure if plans have changed.

MeoTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 01:08 PM
darty

Quote:
Originally Posted by It Kills Me View Post
I'm not overly excited about sending one of our better forwards into a forest for two days with just a book and Les Stroud's advice.. You can imagine the toll two days without food would do to an NHLers body.
2 days with minimal food will take 2 days with lots of food to recover from. Grow a pair and relax, he'll be fine.

darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwist View Post
Also the sign said Bozak and Hansen would be there, as well as Holloweg.. Not sure if plans have changed.
I know Christian Hanson will not be there for sure.

He is going to be attending the Mannheim Eagles training camp, working out with them, in Germany this upcoming week in preparation for the upcoming Leafs season.

The opportunity presented itself and Leafs management Burke and Co. endorsed the idea.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Tonka
Diggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by It Kills Me View Post
I agree, it will decrease their point production by 10 points.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Where's Schenn? Probably just at home counting his money.
I realize you're not serious, but Luke is in fact at home (Saskatoon) supporting Brayden at the WJC camp.

http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/n...2-2525d6bc69dc

Saw it yesterday, didn't think it was worth bumping the Luke thread for minor Brayden-related quotes.

Old
08-08-2009, 04:15 PM
soupisgoodfood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post

It's at least the second random thing he's done in the past week or so.
At first, I thought the dude doing magic tricks was PJ Stock!

soupisgoodfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:23 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

I remember a radio interview with Ponikarovsky on Leafs Lunch a few year's ago where it sounded like Poni was quite the outdoorsman type (cabin on a lake, fishing, etc.). It sounded as if he spends most of his summer on a property far north of the city. So maybe "toughing it" in the wilderness isn't that much of a stretch for him and actually fun.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote