HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want to win on Saturday?

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
Who do you want to win on Saturday?

Well, St. Louis lost against the Wings tonight. Assuming Nashville beats Chicago, who do you want to win on Saturday in the Blues vs. Preds game?

If Nashville wins, they will be two points up on Edmonton and uncatchable for us (due to tiebreakers). St. Louis will still be tied with us with one game left against Minny. What do you think are their chances in that game?

If the Blues win, they will be uncatchable. That leaves Nashville with one game against the Avs. Chances?

Who do you like? Whichever team is the better bet to lose their final game will be the one you want losing on Saturday, but which team do you think that will be?

Old
04-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

You guys gotta be rooting for a tie come Saturday, because you then double your chances of a team ahead of you losing the next day. Of course, this would all hinge on the Oil beating my Canucks.......so as long as the Avs lose their last 2, I wouldn't mind Edmonton beating the Nucks to grab the final playoff spot.

Edit: I just realized for this to work, the Preds would have to lose tonite, and seeing as how they just made it 3-1, it's not looking good.

Last edited by Finkle is Einhorn: 04-01-2004 at 10:46 PM.
Old
04-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Someone else mentioned it already; rooting for ties is dangerous. Once a game goes into OT, the possibility of a three point game is very real. And that won't do the Oilers any good.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:50 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
Someone else mentioned it already; rooting for ties is dangerous. Once a game goes into OT, the possibility of a three point game is very real. And that won't do the Oilers any good.
This is true, but you would have to think that two teams with so much on the line would both be playing it safe in OT, so as not to give the other the extra point. That being said, it all appears to be a moot point, because it looks like Nashville will beat Chicago again tonite.

Old
04-01-2004, 10:52 PM
Cerebral

I'm personally hoping St. Louis wins.. I like the odds of a Nashville tie/loss against Colorado a lot better than a St. Louis loss to Minnesota. Plus, Nashville plays Colorado the very next day so they'll hopefully be extremely tired from a hard fought loss against the Blues..

Old
04-01-2004, 11:02 PM
oil slick

Yup, I'm hoping for the Blues too. I think if we pull off the win, then the Preds will be in tough at Colorado.

The worst that can happen is an OT Nashville win IMO. Then we have to win against the Nucks and hope for a Wild win.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
7. St. Louis 79 89
8. Nashville 79 89
9. Edmonton 81 89

If they tie on saturday and Oilers win. Chances are better the next day.

Both teams will be tired.

Colorado may take it easy..may rest Forsberg. Lead season series vs COL.

Minny will paly hard as they always do...AND are VERY tough on home ice. (Beat STL 4-0 at home this yr) As a matter of fact, they also have 2 ties vs STL.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:04 PM
oil slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny08
7. St. Louis 79 89
8. Nashville 79 89
9. Edmonton 81 89

If they tie on saturday and Oilers win. Chances are better the next day.

Both teams will be tired.

Colorado may take it easy..may rest Forsberg. Lead season series vs COL.

Minny will paly hard as they always do...AND are VERY tough on home ice. (Beat STL 4-0 at home this yr) As a matter of fact, they also have 2 ties vs STL.
It's not as bad as that... both the Blues and Preds have played 80 games

Old
04-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
It's not as bad as that... both the Blues and Preds have played 80 games
Well, let's pray to the hockey gods that one of those teams will only play two more games this season...

Old
04-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Matts

Well

the good news is that no matter what happens on Sat, even if it is a dreaded 3 point game, Sat night's contest in Van will still mean something. I still remember trying to watch that last game of the '02 season in Minny and it wasn't fun. There was nothing to cheer for.

Sat night will at least give the Oilers the chance to jump ahead of someone and force one of the teams to do something other than lose on Sunday afternoon.

As for the Blues game in Minny, if there's one lesser team I don't mind seeing host a home game against one of our playoff rivals, it's a team coached by Lemaire. Chances are it will be low scoring and tight and the Wild will give their usual great effort if it isn't always reflected in wins and losses.

Sure the best thing is a tie as it would force someone to gain at least a tie on Sun.

I don't really trust the Avs. They put up a few stinkers and Tommy might be playing

Old
04-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Brynster

I'd rather see St Louise win on Saturday

Simply because if it does come down to Sunday... I'd rather see Nashville have to face a team on Sunday that's in the playoffs. Rather than hope for a team like Minney, who's out with ZERO to play for, actually showing up against St Louise. Chicago proved to me tonight that those teams on the outside really don't give a crap about the rest of the season now.

St Louise over Nashville
Oilers over Vancouver
Colorado over Nashville

Simple huh??

Old
04-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynster
Simply because if it does come down to Sunday... I'd rather see Nashville have to face a team on Sunday that's in the playoffs. Rather than hope for a team like Minney, who's out with ZERO to play for, actually showing up against St Louise. Chicago proved to me tonight that those teams on the outside really don't give a crap about the rest of the season now.

St Louise over Nashville
Oilers over Vancouver
Colorado over Nashville

Simple huh??
When you put it like that it isn't THAT bad. Hope for Nashville to lose two very losable games and for the Oilers to win...

Time for that 25th anniversary magic to kick in...

Old
04-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Matts

I don't know Bryn

the Hawks were game last Sat in Stl but the Blues have something like 12 or 13 OTW so they know how to roll 4-on-4. Tonight the Hawks could've easily been up 3-2 after 40. They might have just one line that can score but they were working out there.

That being said I don't expect the Preds to lose at home on Sat so it's then the Oilers and Wild on the cheering docket.

Old
04-01-2004, 11:43 PM
RaoulDuke

I agree with Matts on this one. StL probably has more of a chance losing to a hard-playing Minny team than Nashville does to a recently-inconsistent Colorado team resting its stars.

Last ten games:
Minny: 6-3-0-1
Col: 3-5-1-1

Plus I would rather see Nashville in the playoffs anyway.

Go Preds!

Old
04-02-2004, 12:18 AM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle axe
You guys gotta be rooting for a tie come Saturday, because you then double your chances of a team ahead of you losing the next day. Of course, this would all hinge on the Oil beating my Canucks.......so as long as the Avs lose their last 2, I wouldn't mind Edmonton beating the Nucks to grab the final playoff spot.

Edit: I just realized for this to work, the Preds would have to lose tonite, and seeing as how they just made it 3-1, it's not looking good.
I prefer the Av's to win one of their last two; against Nashville.

Go Blues! *ick*

Old
04-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDuke
I agree with Matts on this one. StL probably has more of a chance losing to a hard-playing Minny team than Nashville does to a recently-inconsistent Colorado team resting its stars.

Last ten games:
Minny: 6-3-0-1
Col: 3-5-1-1

Go Preds!
Atta boy!!!!!

Old
04-02-2004, 12:20 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
I'm with Bryn on this one. Nashville has only won 4 out of the last 10 games, mostly against bottom dwellers. St. Louis has been a little better winning 6 out of the LTG, but the win over the Oilers was very impressive. If the blues play anywhere near that good against the Preds they should win. I think the Av's current inconsistancy should be a motivator for them to kick it up a notch, so they can go into the playoffs on a positive note. Also, I would like nothing better than having Salo shut down the Preds as a parting gift to the Oilers.

Old
04-02-2004, 12:50 AM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDuke

Go Preds!
I'd rather see the Oilers in the playoffs.

Old
04-02-2004, 01:38 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez
I'm with Bryn on this one. Nashville has only won 4 out of the last 10 games, mostly against bottom dwellers. St. Louis has been a little better winning 6 out of the LTG, but the win over the Oilers was very impressive. If the blues play anywhere near that good against the Preds they should win. I think the Av's current inconsistancy should be a motivator for them to kick it up a notch, so they can go into the playoffs on a positive note. Also, I would like nothing better than having Salo shut down the Preds as a parting gift to the Oilers.

good points, however...

1) nashville has split the season series with the blues, so far...2-2-1. the two wins came at home...and were pretty one sided games. the two losses and the tie(the last time these teams met, mid march) were in st louis. the Preds, historically, are strong against the blues at home...and given the fact that it's a saturday afternoon game...our chances get that much better. we've had pretty good fortune in those games, since our inception. the thing that doesn't bode well for the oilers is that the last few have been won in OT.

2) st louis's road-road series promises a lot more chance of losing BOTH games..than nashville's home-road series. nashville plays the blues at home(see above) and then colorado..a team that's been struggling as of late, and may very well view the game as a "meaningless" game, possibly resting some of their more injury prone players and superstars. also, nashville leads the season series 2-1, including a dramatic win in colorado. st louis, on the other hand, has a game against a fired up nashville team playing in front of a sell-out crowd...and then a road game against a "playing for pride," defense-first Wild team

all that said, you guys need to win your game on saturday night, first and foremost...or this is all irrelevent, anyway. the blues and the preds are in, if that doesn't happen. if it does...you need one of the preds and blues to lose both games. i think with everything i've said...the case is good that the preds could likely win one or both of their games. i implore you, once more...join us! throw all of your hard-work and mojo into willing a Preds victory on Saturday afternoon...ensuring a playoff spot. We will in turn...will all of OUR juju into an OILERS victory on saturday...and then we can combine for a blues loss on sunday!

together we stand!

DIVIDED, WE COULD BOTH FALL!

Old
04-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Fayne Gretzky

*Whispers* (We can't both fall....He's tricking us, guys...)

Old
04-02-2004, 02:40 AM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers112
*Whispers* (We can't both fall....He's tricking us, guys...)
shhh! just join the good fight!

Old
04-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I think the most amazing thing about this situation is that if someone came up to you and said, "the only way we can get into the playoffs is if we win our last game and one of our two opponents lose their last two," you would probably say the odds are against you.

The beauty of this is the HTH; essentially, one team HAS to lose at least one game, meaning all we're hoping for as Oilers fans is for one of our opponents to lose one game (instead of two), because the other loss is almost guaranteed.

This is, of course, barring any OTL and ties. But still, even if that happens, the Oilers still have a chance at making the playoffs. A far better chance than if the Blues and Preds were not to play each other on Saturday.

THAT is the beauty of the HTH.

Old
04-02-2004, 03:31 AM
Fayne Gretzky

Yeah, if they tie, and we win, we've got a great chance because it would then rest on the Colorado - Minnesota games.

1. Both teams win - we're out
2. One team wins - us and them are in
3. Neither wins - we're in 7th WHOOO (unlikely)

Nothing's gonna happin, though, if the Oil don't register a point in Vancouver. That is going to be the best game of the season. GO OIL!

Old
04-02-2004, 09:17 AM
WFHACommish

tie..and both stl and nsh lose their last games...

standings:

7. EDMONTON
8. ST. LOUIS (more wins)
9. NASHVILLE

man.. am i ever greedy..not onlhy do i want to make the playoffs..i want the OIL to play SJ.

Old
04-02-2004, 10:35 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle axe

NO TIE!

We need one of those 2 teams to get ZERO points in that match.

Closed Thread