HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our Captain speaking.

Old
08-07-2009, 08:27 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
[Disclaimer] NO, I'm not voting Avery for Captain. A true leader, IMO, would have put in a good word for the departing tough guy (Orr) who bled for the team, like Avery did when asked about Brashear, not minimize the gravity of the incident with Betts that in my opinion changed the series (that, and the coach going ballistic and getting himself suspended).
Too late for that I'm sorry. And we certainly don't have the whole interview there. Unless you make a special one hour show with Drury as special guest, he won't be able to talk about every things that happened to the team during the off-season. That's a 5 minutes interview released on NHL.com, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
You're entitled to your opinion. They're like belly buttons - everyone's got'em. My post should not have offended anyone, well, maybe the Drury groupies, but that's besides the point.
The same goes for your your comparison, your simile, between WWII and professional athletes of 21th century. If you don't like the Brashear signing, fine, I respect your opinion but please, don't blame Drury for that, that's just ridiculous. He did the right thing telling the guys to come talk to him about that.

Last edited by King of cool: 08-07-2009 at 09:24 AM.
King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Relax guys, not everyone is ...Leetch.
Leetch would have been crucified on HFBoards when he was captain. He was -36!!! his first year as captain, and his play wasn't up to his level over those three years.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 08:35 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Agitator View Post
Too late for that I'm sorry. And we certainly don't have the whole interview there. Unless you make a special one hour show with Drury as special guest, he won't able to talk about every things that happened to the team during the off-season. That's a 5 minutes interview released on NHL.com, please.

The same goes for your your comparison, your simile, between WWII and professional athletes of 21th century. If you don't like the Brashear signing, fine, I respect your opinion but please, don't blame Drury for that, that's just ridiculous. He did the right thing telling the guys to come talk to him about that.
IMO, a real leader would have hindsight AND forsight to give props to his current and former teammates. No biggy, but I was surprized that someone with such a rough social filter as Avery could exhibit more insight than the demigod Captain. I actually don't dislike him. He appears to be a likeable person, in a milk-toasty kind'a way.

I was not saying War is as serious as sports, which seems to be your understanding of my main point. I'm sorry that my main point alluded you. I think the Brashear signing is a slap in the face, but hey, I'm one guy, right? As for the "come talk to me" comment, I'm sure Brashear doesn't need Drury to run interferance for him.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:22 AM
pld459666

Drury starts off his next interview with the following:

(Ripping off his jersey to reveal the 24 inch pythons)

"LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING MEAN GENE....I mean Al"

Give the guy a break. So what he's not Rah Rah during an interview or in the lockerroom, but most real good captains NEVER allow their emotions to dictate their demeanor on or off the ice.

Leaders lead, emotions are for those who need them.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:33 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Cue Drury randomly attacking Wade Redden during a game with a chair. Drury rips off his jersey to reveal an NWO T-Shirt.

Sam is screaming "NOOO NOOO NOT LIKE THIS!!!!" the entire time. Joe is speechless.

Then Drury grabs the spray paint and paints the NWO on Reddens back, then he, Avery and Brash skate off back stage.

The next week he has grown his stubble and beard to looking something like this...

He comes out...grabs the mic and proceeds to call Torts a jackass and tell everyone what a wuss Hank is...

I think this would make Hoosier happy...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:33 AM
pld459666

What good does it do to pay any lip service to the guy that are no longer with the team.

An atta'boy to Orr on the way out? Seems to be more of a slap in the face than anything really. Get out, but great job Orr. How is that anything but a slap in the mug?

As for Brashear, what Drury said was dead on the spot correct. The bottom line is that he is now a teammate and will be playing as hard for the Rangers and every player in that sweater as he did for the Capitals and every player in that sweater.

Unfortunately what you see as a flaw in Drury (switching allies, not your exact words) I see as a strength. A strength that 95% of NHL players have, or will have to acquire if they want to stay in the NHL.

The only true allies in this game are the players on your team today. Not yesterday and not the one that could be on your team tomorrow.

Kocur fought Probert they were teammates for 10 years
Keith Primeau fought Wayne Primeau - Yes they are brothers
The Sutters NEVER gave an inch away to one of their 5 brothers when playing against them.

Sending a "shout out" to those recent departures does absolutely nothing for anyone other than you.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:02 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Avery sounds borderline short bus when hes interviewed. What are you talking about?
lol, that's something that always drove me nuts. The way he talks, his voice just annoys me, lol. He sounds like he's stupid which I doubt that he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Leetch would have been crucified on HFBoards when he was captain. He was -36!!! his first year as captain, and his play wasn't up to his level over those three years.
Leetch was 29 yrs old when he became captain, IDK what you mean.

Leetch was actually bad as captain and I know people at the time thought so. People just don't want to say it because it was Leetch. His numbers dropped drastically those three years. He went from 79, 41 (lockout), 85, 78 to 50, 55, 26 (50 games), and then back to 79 when Messier came back. Granted the following season he had 55 points again, but he was 33 at that point. Those seasons he was captain were in years which should have been in the middle of his prime.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
lol, that's something that always drove me nuts. The way he talks, his voice just annoys me, lol. He sounds like he's stupid which I doubt that he is.

Leetch was 29 yrs old when he became captain, IDK what you mean.

Leetch was actually bad as captain and I know people at the time thought so. People just don't want to say it because it was Leetch. His numbers dropped drastically those three years. He went from 79, 41 (lockout), 85, 78 to 50, 55, 26 (50 games), and then back to 79 when Messier came back. Granted the following season he had 55 points again, but he was 33 at that point. Those seasons he was captain were in years which should have been in the middle of his prime.
In Leetch's defense, the teams he captained were god-awful.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 11:24 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
In Leetch's defense, the teams he captained were god-awful.
Well hey...the team Drury captained last year wasn't exactly the 81-82 Edmonton Oilers....

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 06:20 PM
deke and score

Stan Fischler speaks with Drury:

Quote:
RETAINING THE CAPTAINCY:

(NOTE: It was mentioned that Brent Sutter dumped Patrik Elias as captain when Sutter took over the Devils, replacing Elias with Jamie Langenbrunner.)

"I know that a new coach has the right to make changes and, frankly, I'm thrilled that Torts wants me to stay on, wearing the 'C.' I take the captaincy very seriously."
Quote:
QUIET DEMEANOR FOR A CAPTAIN:

"I find that from time to time there are misconceptions about the way fans think players behave or should behave behind the scenes; as in the dressing room.

Take the issue of yelling. Some people have this misconception that in this day and age if you're not a loudmouth jerk, that means you're 'quiet.' As far as I'm concerned in my role as captain when something needs to be said, I'll say it."
More at http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2009/08/...in-is-calling/

deke and score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 07:52 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by deke and score View Post
Stan Fischler speaks with Drury:

More at http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2009/08/...in-is-calling/

Liking the sound of that

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote