HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jess Rubenstein Interview Prospect and Young Gun Special

Old
08-06-2009, 11:42 AM
The Mouth

vCash: 500
Jess Rubenstein Interview Prospect and Young Gun Special

8/6 TONIGHT 9-11PM EST

Jess Rubenstein of The Prospect Park and Blueshirt Bulletin joins me tonight on Ranger Crisis Radio to discuss what's in the Rangers future. This sounds like something you posters at HF should be calling in about and giving your well informed vociferous opinions. Make sure you tell me you are from HF right off the bat so I know you are a quality caller !

Ranger Crisis Radio

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:28 PM
MSG the place to be*

Someone more optimistic than Graves

I just listened to The Mouth's radio show which featured Jess Rubenstein from The Prospect Park blog. Now whether or not you like The Mouth's style (sometimes I do and sometimes I don't), there is no denying that he gets good guests to come on his show which brings me back each week.

From reading The Prospect Park Blog sporadically the past few years I've always known that Jess likes to wax poetic about our prospects. Tonight brought it to a whole new level. He made it clear that he loves Stepan, Grachev, Anisimov, MDZ, Sangs, and Sauer. He believes Potter should be given a chance this year but if it doesnt happen this year it probably never will. He wasnt very high on the Kreider pick because of the HS route he took and he also didnt see any reason to select Bourque (his first round pick would have been Caron fwiw). He did like the Werek selection however.

A few tidbits on all the guys he raved about:
- Stepan reminds him of St Louis with his speed and I think he might have said Adam Oates with his playmaking (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). He said Stepan could be our most important prospect.
- Grachev could do whatever he wanted in the OHL, plays a great all-around game, but should be brought along slowly
- Anisimov is a great two-way player whose defense developed first unlike other Russians.
- MDZ he wasnt a fan of when drafted. He wanted us to take John Carlson (his defensive partner with London). He likes what he has seen though and says OHL people rave about MDZ. Expects coach Hunter to really help MDZ become NHL ready if he returns to London.
- McD he saw a lot because of Stepan. Says McD needs to decide whether to be an offensive or defensive dman but will excel at either one. He thinks McD will be in school for two more years and be the captain his senior year but then go directly to the big club.
- With Sangs nothing really sticks out but just talked about how he grew up going to rangers games and could make the team this year.

Other guys:
- Gilroy wasnt brought in to earn money in Hartford.
- Kundratek tries to be too much like Phaneuf and needs to tone his game down and be better positionally.

Interesting comments:
- Renney is responsible for basically the entire development program currently in place, from scouting to the camps etc.
- Brandon Dubinsky once got to paint the Rangers logo with Jed Ortmeyer and it was the greatest experience of his life. Basically Jess was saying that Dubi loves nothing more than being a Ranger and that hes definitely working hard to improve his weaknesses which was primarily goal scoring last year.

I suggest giving it a listen and if I think of anything else I'll add it.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:39 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
I just listened to The Mouth's radio show which featured Jess Rubenstein from The Prospect Park blog. Now whether or not you like The Mouth's style (sometimes I do and sometimes I don't), there is no denying that he gets good guests to come on his show which brings me back each week.

From reading The Prospect Park Blog sporadically the past few years I've always known that Jess likes to wax poetic about our prospects. Tonight brought it to a whole new level. He made it clear that he loves Stepan, Grachev, Anisimov, MDZ, Sangs, and Sauer. He believes Potter should be given a chance this year but if it doesnt happen this year it probably never will. He wasnt very high on the Kreider pick because of the HS route he took and he also didnt see any reason to select Bourque (his first round pick would have been Caron fwiw). He did like the Werek selection however.

A few tidbits on all the guys he raved about:
- Stepan reminds him of St Louis with his speed and I think he might have said Adam Oates with his playmaking (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). He said Stepan could be our most important prospect.
- Grachev could do whatever he wanted in the OHL, plays a great all-around game, but should be brought along slowly
- Anisimov is a great two-way player whose defense developed first unlike other Russians.
- MDZ he wasnt a fan of when drafted. He wanted us to take John Carlson (his defensive partner with London). He likes what he has seen though and says OHL people rave about MDZ. Expects coach Hunter to really help MDZ become NHL ready if he returns to London.
- McD he saw a lot because of Stepan. Says McD needs to decide whether to be an offensive or defensive dman but will excel at either one. He thinks McD will be in school for two more years and be the captain his senior year but then go directly to the big club.
- With Sangs nothing really sticks out but just talked about how he grew up going to rangers games and could make the team this year.

Other guys:
- Gilroy wasnt brought in to earn money in Hartford.
- Kundratek tries to be too much like Phaneuf and needs to tone his game down and be better positionally.

Interesting comments:
- Renney is responsible for basically the entire development program currently in place, from scouting to the camps etc.
- Brandon Dubinsky once got to paint the Rangers logo with Jed Ortmeyer and it was the greatest experience of his life. Basically Jess was saying that Dubi loves nothing more than being a Ranger and that hes definitely working hard to improve his weaknesses which was primarily goal scoring last year.

I suggest giving it a listen and if I think of anything else I'll add it.
That part made me laugh because I remember there was a span of like 3 games near the end of the WHL regular season where Kundratek got a bunch of major penalties and misconducts and Jess was ripping him a new one.

I really like what he said about McD, I can totally see him being paired with Marc Staal as an awesome shutdown pair when we play offensive juggernauts in coming years.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Awesome read man, thanks! I'll definitely be sure to check out Mouth's shows in the future.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I stopped reading at:

"Didn't like the Kreider pick because of the High School route."

First off, Kreider is a US born player. There aren't many options out there. He went to a great prep school.

He then committed to a great College. And a hockey program that recently won a National Championship.

He was the best skater in the draft. He is physically mature and mentally mature.

Kreider is an NHL player.

Anyone who disagrees, focuses too much on the fact he played High School PREP hockey. Those kids are not your average public HS hockey player. And he dominated them.

He is currently in US WJC camp, with fellow pick that this guy didn't like, Ryan Bourque.

Kreider, Stepan, and Bourque will represent the US this year at the U-20 WJC.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:48 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I stopped reading at:

First off, Kreider is a US born player. There aren't many options out there. He went to a great prep school.

He then committed to a great College. And a hockey program that recently won a National Championship.

He was the best skater in the draft. He is physically mature and mentally mature.

Anyone who disagrees, focuses too much on the fact he played High School PREP hockey. Those kids are not your average public HS hockey player. And he dominated them.

He is currently in US WJC camp, with fellow pick that this guy didn't like, Ryan Bourque.

Interesting.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

Interesting.
And?

It doesn't change the fact that people are put off simply because he played HS Prep.

And it doesn't change the fact that he is playing high level hockey both on the international stage and national stage, this year.

Old
08-06-2009, 10:54 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Someone more optimistic than Graves?

Impossible.

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:58 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I stopped reading at:

Part of it is he really wanted us to take Caron.

I agree with you. I see Kreider as a safe pick. His size and skating will put him on a NHL third line one day even if the rest of his game doesn't develop the way it could or should. His upside would be a first line scoring threat with great size and fantastic speed. He's got some developing to do though--probably more than most.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:58 PM
NYR Viper

I listened for an hour and half and I really enjoyed it. Very enlightening to hear Jess speak about all the prospects. Obviously it hs to be taken with a grain of salt but I like the group of prospects they have coming along right now.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:42 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I'm going to say something that might piss a few people off, but...

Jess doesn't know **** about evaluating prospects and players.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Jxmarts

Quote:
I stopped reading at:

I've seen many high school / prep stars through the years, with great stats and seemingly all the tools, who stumble at the next level. The "next level" is a question mark for most young players in general, but it's even more true for high schoolers because the better ones usually have such incredible stats that most of them are bound to be overrated.

That's not to take anything away from Kreider. He'll get the opportunity at Boston College and the WJC to show what he can do. We'll know a lot more about him in the coming year after he does get to face tougher competition. I just think it's impossible to make projections with certainty either way right now.

But knowing how Jess loves Rangers prospects, unless they totally flop I got a feeling he will be raving about Kreider & Bourque by this time next year.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:44 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
And?

It doesn't change the fact that people are put off simply because he played HS Prep.

And it doesn't change the fact that he is playing high level hockey both on the international stage and national stage, this year.
And...it seems you're a little biased. A little too far to the left and no matter what someone whose far on the right says is going to change your mind.

I'm not saying I'm far to the right. I had mixed emotions with the Kreider pick, especially with Josefson still on the board.

Before we say "Kreider is an NHL player." let's see how he plays at a higher level.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:45 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
I've seen many high school / prep stars through the years, with great stats and seemingly all the tools, who stumble at the next level. The "next level" is a question mark for most young players in general, but it's even more true for high schoolers because the better ones usually have such incredible stats that most of them are bound to be overrated.

That's not to take anything away from Kreider. He'll get the opportunity at Boston College and the WJC to show what he can do. We'll know a lot more about him in the coming year after he does get to face tougher competition. I just think it's impossible to make projections with certainty either way right now.

But knowing how Jess loves Rangers prospects, unless they totally flop I got a feeling he will be raving about Kreider & Bourque by this time next year.
Hence why you have to take anything he says with a whole truckload of salt.

He is a huge homer who's opinions change on a dime. He's completely unreliable when it comes to evaluating prospects.

Old
08-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

I'm gonna back you on this. Don't know anything personal about the guy, just from reading his stuff on and off over the years.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:22 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:

Perhaps. I know Jess. He was a little down on our draft. I thought too much so considering. Nobody really can say definitively how good Kreider will be and the others. Give it 2-3 yrs.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:38 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
If Jess is right about this than it is a huge, huge compliment.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 06:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Why spend one minute listening to him talking about prospects?

I find him to be "whiny".

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 06:48 AM
bumrusherer

Stepan is getting a lot of praise this off-season...I feel quite bad for not really paying him much attention. That will change now.

Nice words about Renney also.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Nich

Do does everyone forget that Tom was head of prospect development before becoming head coach???

I mean honestly, it is the job that was MADE for him, that's how good at it he was.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:21 AM
LyNX27

Been saying this since we made the pick. Stepan is as full of a prospect as were gonna get. Plays both sides of the puck and does them just as well as each other. Strong in all parts of hockey and no real weakness.

Excited to hear all this.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:44 AM
The Mouth

We covered every one of the following prospects that has a chance to be a Ranger. Check it out. Ranger Crisis Radio

Artem Anisimov
Michael Delzotto
Evgeny Grachev
Bobby Sanguinetti
Corey Potter
Michael Sauer
Ikka Heikenen
Chris Kreider
Tomas Kundratek
Ethan Werek
Ryan Bourque
Matt Gilroy
Ryan McDonagh
Derek Stephan

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:55 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
And...it seems you're a little biased. A little too far to the left and no matter what someone whose far on the right says is going to change your mind.

I'm not saying I'm far to the right. I had mixed emotions with the Kreider pick, especially with Josefson still on the board.

Before we say "Kreider is an NHL player." let's see how he plays at a higher level.
Don't get me wrong.

I'm not a homer. Or biased.

His size, strength, and speed alone pretty much guarantee he will be serviceable.

Am i saying he will develop entirely the way we hope? Who knows.

His acceleration with his size, at his age, is usually unheard of. I mean he is explosive.

Old
08-07-2009, 11:23 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
Perhaps. I know Jess. He was a little down on our draft. I thought too much so considering. Nobody really can say definitively how good Kreider will be and the others. Give it 2-3 yrs.
The simple fact of Bourque being a waste of a pick is mindnumbingly stupid.

And the dislike of the Kreider pick because he went the prep school route.

Last edited by ECL: 08-07-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old
08-07-2009, 02:00 PM
eco's bones

Not to say that Caron won't be a good player but I would not have been pleased with picking him where we picked Kreider. Towards the end of the first or early second is where he should have gone. There's a good chance that Caron will play in the NHL before Kreider though--he is a more developed player at the moment and the Bruins have the habit of pushing their top picks to the NHL faster than we do. Kreider has a chance--maybe a 10% chance though to be an elite player some day and one way or another should eventually be the better player of the two. Caron has no chance to be an elite player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote