HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Ryan Murphy - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2011, 12th overall, Carolina)

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Torgo

vCash: 500
D Ryan Murphy - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2011, 12th overall, Carolina)

He was the Kitchener Rangers first round pick in this years Priority Draft(2nd or 3rd overall I think), and with the season looming, I would like to hear about him and what kind of role you think he will have on the team this year.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Old
08-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Ward Cornell

http://www.rangersrush.com/Forum.html

Look for the thread:
"Rookie Camp Who should we watch for?" ...May 21 entry

Old
08-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Torgo

Thanks for the link, I may have to join those forums.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:03 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Ryan Murphy (Kitchener D)

Can someone give me a bit more info on this kid. Just saw him on Coach's Corner and Don was saying "Watch out, this kid is gonna go #1! blah blah". But, looking at his stats they are impressive.

He is a smaller dman but put up well over .5 PPG this season, and better than that in the playoffs.

He is a 1993, so he will be drafted next year. I highly doubt he will even be a top 2 pick with Coutourier and Larsson. But is he project as a top 10 or top 5 at this point?

Old
04-14-2010, 07:28 PM
studley49

Cherry's "blah blah" was a lot of good points, but a bunch of garbage too. You would think that if he highlights a young player, he'd get his age right (he said Murphy was 16, not 17, meaning he would be in an entirely different draft year).

That said, I think Murphy's the top eligible OHL defenceman for 2011 and is toward the top of the d-man ranks with Larsson, Musil, Clendening, etc.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:34 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by studley49 View Post
Cherry's "blah blah" was a lot of good points, but a bunch of garbage too. You would think that if he highlights a young player, he'd get his age right (he said Murphy was 16, not 17, meaning he would be in an entirely different draft year).

That said, I think Murphy's the top eligible OHL defenceman for 2011 and is toward the top of the d-man ranks with Larsson, Musil, Clendening, etc.
Mostly the blah blah meant the fact that he was saying he was going to be taken number one. At this point the other big 2 are way too far ahead of the pack for that to happen IMO.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:44 PM
RangerRed

Quote:

This is kind of splitting hairs. Technically Murphy is in his sixteen year-old season in the OHL and he only had a birthday like two weeks ago. If it was like two months ago, than ya we can rag on Grapes.
As for whether Murphy is really that good? He's been a completely different player since about Game 3 of the first round of the playoffs. He's not really a defensive liability (not going to be confused with Marc Staal any time soon, just not a liability). He's got just about every trait you'd want in an offensive defenseman, he's a miles better skater than Ryan Ellis who went 11th in what is considered a better draft year. He's just small, as in slight, I don't know that 5'10.5" at 17 is all that bad. He could use about 20 pounds of muscle.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:44 PM
rick3652

Quote:

He did not get his age wrong he said that "the kid will go number one next year"

Old
04-14-2010, 07:54 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
The kid has ridiculous offensive abilities.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:58 PM
weems

Did this kid just recently play for Team Ontario at the U-17?

I watched that game against the USA in the final and there was a Murphy kid on defence that was a magician with the puck. He looked like a amped up version of Brian Rafalski meets Mike Green. I read that hes from Aurora. Is this the same Ryan Murphy?

Old
04-14-2010, 08:03 PM
JeffYear92*

From seeing Murphy all year that coach corner was def. one of my favorite.

Murphy has all of the tools in the world to become a very good hockey player in the future.

His development has been outstanding from the start of the year to now. He has developed himself into an outstanding offensive defenseman within a year.

Murphy is playing beyond his years and its just fun to watch.He rushes the puck at sixteen like I have never seen before.

If Murphy can get stronger over the summer, He will have a strong chance of being that top pick in next years draft.

Old
04-14-2010, 08:12 PM
RangerRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post

I watched that game against the USA in the final and there was a Murphy kid on defence that was a magician with the puck. He looked like a amped up version of Brian Rafalski meets Mike Green. I read that hes from Aurora. Is this the same Ryan Murphy?
One and the same.

Old
04-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Ward Cornell

Click on "sports" then April 14 Coaches Corner, it's around the 3:30 mark.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/ID=1469119572

and yes...he's good, I've seen about 8 players this year fall flat on faces and just as many with busted ankles (not quite but you get the idea) after being deked out.
His shot while it's highlighted in the video clip above hasn't been used too often this season. When he does it's probably
just as good as his teammate John Moore's (who won the hardest shot contest this year at the AllStar Game)
One thing that really stands out is when he's in mid-shot he can change it to a contolled pass to a shooter closer to the net.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 04-14-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old
04-14-2010, 10:38 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
Quote:

Yeah he set up that wicked goal right at the end of the game. It was a meaningless goal since they already lost, but still a great show of skill.

Old
04-14-2010, 11:57 PM
CharlieGirl
Thank you Mr. Snider

Quote:

That's dead on. I haven't seen a 16 year old defenseman handle the puck like him in years, and his defensive game has improved by leaps and bounds over the last half of the year. He still has room for improvement on that side of the game, but he's a lot of fun to watch.

It's nice to see him getting some attention this early - and I'd bet it's only going to get bigger.

Old
04-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Raging Bull
Future

What Cherry pointed out about is shot is true, not many guys can shoot the puck like that when it is so close to you, huge advantage in fooling goaltenders and avoiding defenders sticks and stuff.

Old
04-15-2010, 07:09 AM
phil macrackin

He's Ryan Ellis 2.0. That'll make him a first-rounder, maybe even put him in the top 10, but he's a grade below Larsson, Couturier, Nugent-Hopkins and a few others.

I wonder if Cherry will show a replay of that segment next year if Murphy isn't No. 1. "Remember when I said this kid would go first folks, well it turns out I was wrong."

Old
04-15-2010, 07:27 AM
JL17

IMO he'll be better then Ryan Ellis. Right now he's a step behind him.

I was blown away by this kid all year. He's a ton of fun to watch plus he was solid in his own end in the playoffs.

He reminds me alot of Drew Doughty when the puck is on his stick. In the London series he took over the game with the puck on his stick.

Old
04-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
IMO he'll be better then Ryan Ellis. Right now he's a step behind him.

I was blown away by this kid all year. He's a ton of fun to watch plus he was solid in his own end in the playoffs.

He reminds me alot of Drew Doughty when the puck is on his stick. In the London series he took over the game with the puck on his stick.
JL17...you know how much impressed I am with Murphy but that Harrington kid in London is just as good as Murphy but on the defensive side. Someone in this post mentioned that Murphy is no Marc Staal but Harrington has potential to be...maybe even better with an offensive upside.

* I wouldn't be surprised to see both of these D-men(boys) get invited to the U20 Team Canada summer camp just for initiation for a cpl years down the road.

Old
04-15-2010, 07:53 AM
CharlieGirl
Thank you Mr. Snider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
JL17...you know how much impressed I am with Murphy but that Harrington kid in London is just as good as Murphy but on the defensive side. Someone in this post mentioned that Murphy is no Marc Staal but Harrington has potential to be...maybe even better with an offensive upside.

* I wouldn't be surprised to see both of these D-men(boys) get invited to the U20 Team Canada summer camp just for initiation for a cpl years down the road.
Agreed - in the London/Kitchener series, we were treated to watching two outstanding rookie defensemen. I was watching game 6 in Halifax with three people who hadn't seen either team play all year, and they were all amazed that Murphy and Harrington were 16 year old rookies.

Old
04-15-2010, 08:18 AM
JL17

Quote:

From what I've been told Harrington has a pretty impressive offensive upside in him....Unfortunately Dale neglected to bring it out this year. Someone mentioned at the beginning of the year he's like John Carlson. From what I've seen he's better defensively then him.

London and Kitchener fans were treated to two of the best young D-men in the game through out that series.

I'm willing to say Murphy makes it into the top 5 of the draft maybe top 3.

If people want to compare Murphy to Ellis... I'll take Murphy anyday of the week. The kids head is normal size, he's already relatively solid in his own end and can skate.

Old
04-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
If people want to compare Murphy to Ellis... I'll take Murphy anyday of the week. The kids head is normal size, he's already relatively solid in his own end and can skate.
Apparently sometime after the season, the City of Windsor is going to honour Ryan Ellis by renaming a street after him....you know so fans will always remember Ryan Ellis.

They are changing Wynadotte Ave to Whinesalot Ave.

Old
04-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Raisy

Quote:
Apparently sometime after the season, the City of Windsor is going to honour Ryan Ellis by renaming a street after him....you know so fans will always remember Ryan Ellis.

They are changing Wynadotte Ave to Whinesalot Ave.

They could also change the name to Winsalot Ave., because despite all the haters, Ryan Ellis is a winner.
OHL league Championship
Memorial Cup
World Juniors Gold/Silver
IIHF World U18 Gold
Ivan Hlinka U18 Gold
World U17 Gold
Max Kaminsky Trophy

Old
04-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Can someone give me a bit more info on this kid. Just saw him on Coach's Corner and Don was saying "Watch out, this kid is gonna go #1! blah blah". But, looking at his stats they are impressive.

He is a smaller dman but put up well over .5 PPG this season, and better than that in the playoffs.

He is a 1993, so he will be drafted next year. I highly doubt he will even be a top 2 pick with Coutourier and Larsson. But is he project as a top 10 or top 5 at this point?
Likely a top 10 pick, but at 5'11 he has almost no shot at going 1st overall, let alone there are to major guys doing much better (Larsson and Couturier).

Old
04-15-2010, 10:24 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil macrackin View Post
He's Ryan Ellis 2.0. That'll make him a first-rounder, maybe even put him in the top 10, but he's a grade below Larsson, Couturier, Nugent-Hopkins and a few others.

I wonder if Cherry will show a replay of that segment next year if Murphy isn't No. 1. "Remember when I said this kid would go first folks, well it turns out I was wrong."
LOL good one!

Anyway, Larsson and Musil are studs...Larsson is playing with men already and he's big for his age.

Closed Thread