HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Ryan Murphy - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2011, 12th overall, Carolina)

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Duke749
Formerly "BigTuna49"

vCash: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
In a league where one inch is a big deal (especially in the 5'10-6'0 range), your list includes defensemen who are 5'11 and 6'0, but no one 5'9 or under. Not only is this a select list, but Murphy is said to be 5'10 right now and perhaps even 5'9 (we'll have to wait until the combine for an exact measurement).

The question that I don't know why isn't brought up more is...

If Murphy is so good defensively, then what about him considering a move to forward? Sounds like you'd have a Paul Kariya type, and that to me looks much more like a top 5 pick than hoping the size doesn't kill you on the defensive end.
Enstrom is 5'9 1/2. I think you're being too critical with his size. If you can skate and are a smart enough hockey player, then you'll be fine. Being 5'9 won't stop him from being a successful defenseman in the league. How successful is the question though.

EDIT: Just looked at a couple videos of Murphy. He'd be lucky if he could stand eye-to-eye with Enstrom.

Last edited by Duke749: 04-22-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old
04-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

vCash: 500
Quote:
If Murphy is so good defensively, then what about him considering a move to forward? Sounds like you'd have a Paul Kariya type, and that to me looks much more like a top 5 pick than hoping the size doesn't kill you on the defensive end.
Because defensemen use their skating differently from forwards. Murphy isn't like a Brian Gionta-style skater who will do spin moves on a rush. His backskate is effortless. His side to size skating is effortless. He just covers ground so well and the puck just stays glued to his stick while he does it.

Most forwards can't really backskate, or do reverse cross overs well. But Murphy is a natural power skater and how he uses it on the point in the power play is especially telling, because forwards usually lack the agility when starting from a dead stop and needing to move 4 feet right quickly. Forwards suck at that sort of agility, and on the point in the PP it's really helpful to turn the wheel on the PP and move the puck to the open man.

So his skating is incredibly well suited to defense.

I've seen videos of Larsson skating, as a comparison, and that dude skates well too but it's like he is digging at the ice. He wastes a ton of motion that Murphy doesn't.

Old
04-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
It's hard to compare anyone to Keith because he has that crazy superhuman endurance; nobody else has the lungs to play the game the way he does.
Umm Murphy plays like 25 minutes a night. I'm pretty sure he's capable. Obviously you never seen a game of his.

Old
04-22-2011, 09:50 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
Because defensemen use their skating differently from forwards. Murphy isn't like a Brian Gionta-style skater who will do spin moves on a rush. His backskate is effortless. His side to size skating is effortless. He just covers ground so well and the puck just stays glued to his stick while he does it.

Most forwards can't really backskate, or do reverse cross overs well. But Murphy is a natural power skater and how he uses it on the point in the power play is especially telling, because forwards usually lack the agility when starting from a dead stop and needing to move 4 feet right quickly. Forwards suck at that sort of agility, and on the point in the PP it's really helpful to turn the wheel on the PP and move the puck to the open man.

So his skating is incredibly well suited to defense.

I get the skating analysis, but logic would dictate with his upside and hockey IQ, that there's nothing he couldn't do skating as a forward. It might take time to learn, but given his offensive ability, and lack of size, it would seem like a natural fit.

He doesn't need to do "Gionta-style" spin moves. Plenty of forwards don't do that and are very effective.

Old
04-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
I get the skating analysis, but logic would dictate with his upside and hockey IQ, that there's nothing he couldn't do skating as a forward. It might take time to learn, but given his offensive ability, and lack of size, it would seem like a natural fit.

He doesn't need to do "Gionta-style" spin moves. Plenty of forwards don't do that and are very effective.
He's just a better defenseman. He makes like 10 rushes a game and no one can take the puck from him. Its amazing really. He reminds me of Keith Yandle in the sense that he's such a good skater that the opposing players cant stop him from moving the puck. Not to mention his cannon of a slapshot.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:01 PM
ales83fan

Marc Andre Bergeron?

He definitely could be. Also, Russel in Columbus?

Old
04-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Marc Andre Bergeron?

Has way more skill than both of those players right now.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
What's Murphy's shot like?

Old
04-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post

Old
04-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Marc Andre Bergeron?

Extremely remote chance to become the next MA Bergeron. I'd go as far to say he 100% won't be.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:41 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Really, really good. He can skate like the wind. Reminds me of Paul Coffey. And that goes two ways though. Coffey was obviously amazing offensively, but not so good in his own end. I dont know if Murphy is poor in his own end in junior, but I suspect he will be in the nhl. But if you want a guy that will be a key cog in your offensive attack and on your pp, he is your guy.

He will be a very good player in the nhl imo.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Gotta be among the best slap shots in the CHL...considering release and velocity.

If nothing else he's a virtual guarantee to be one of the best PP Dmen in the game. When a young small Dmen with those tools who can also skate like nobody else, you start to think he's got some special potential. It's very much the way I see Erik Karlsson developing as he ages into 23-25 years old.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:53 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Umm Murphy plays like 25 minutes a night. I'm pretty sure he's capable. Obviously you never seen a game of his.
I said "like Keith," not "as much as Keith." Keith sprints after every dump in, there's nobody else in the league that can do that. His VO2 max is off the charts, on the level of guys like Lance Armstrong.

Old
04-22-2011, 11:02 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Marc Andre Bergeron?
From the couple under 18 games I seen, Murphy can actually skate with the puck

Old
04-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Jonathan17
Trollface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post

The funniest thing about the second video is that even skating to the bench to high five, he still pulls away from all his teammates.

I agree he does look smaller than 5'10" 170 lbs. It makes me wonder if he has a small frame. His frame might be already mostly filled out, so he might max out at 180 lbs or so as a pro.

I would like to see the Bruins take him at 9 too.

Old
04-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
For everyone wondering about Murphy's height, there's no need to wait till the combine. Central Scouting measures players independently every year and have him listed at 5'10.5" 176. So, not 5'9" like some were speculating.

Old
04-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

thanks. do you have more info on when central scouting does measurements? e.g. each player at a random point-in-time is visited by a central scouting staff member (like when they go to see the kid play the first time), or do all prospects get measured in the same day/week/month of the year? if so, when?

I was looking this up last night and couldn't find details.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:56 AM
jughead42*

Murphy reminds me of Bryan Fogarty. These people drooling all over him see his skating but there's a lot more to being an NHLer than being able to move your feet well. I'd take Ellis' superior passing ability and shot to Murphy's speed any day. Its easier to let the puck do the work any way.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Bim Jenning
It's Aquilinis fault

Ryan Murphy could be the next Cory Murphy

Old
04-23-2011, 09:09 AM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Murphy reminds me of Bryan Fogarty. These people drooling all over him see his skating but there's a lot more to being an NHLer than being able to move your feet well. I'd take Ellis' superior passing ability and shot to Murphy's speed any day. Its easier to let the puck do the work any way.
Bryan Fogarty, what a tremendous talent! Such a shame, he should have been the next Bobby Orr.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Windsor fan, right?

Being a premiere PP QB has a ton to do with foot speed. So does defense for a physically challenged player. If Ellis' shot is superior its negligible. Murphy can move the puck just fine.

Some scouts would say skating is THE most important thing.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
thanks. do you have more info on when central scouting does measurements? e.g. each player at a random point-in-time is visited by a central scouting staff member (like when they go to see the kid play the first time), or do all prospects get measured in the same day/week/month of the year? if so, when?

I was looking this up last night and couldn't find details.
They do it on a team-by-team basis at the beginning of each season and so usually by November will have measured all undrafted players in all the major junior leagues plus all the notable players playing in less heralded leagues. This usually covers 95% of all North American players that Central Scouting ends up ranking. They will ocassionally miss players who weren't on the draft radar early in the year, or who weren't available on the day they visited the team for whatever reason. European players don't get measured for budgetary reasons I assume.

Edit: They do seem to be re-measuring prospects this year as well, but I don't know what time of the year they are doing this. 99% of the heights stay the same with weights usually dropping a little as you'd expect.

Last edited by Doomsday Device: 04-23-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old
04-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:
Ellis' superior passing ability and shot??? Have you ever seen Murphy and Ellis play???

Murphy is as good or better in every category -- are you just looking at stats? If so, Murphy could've easily scored 100 points this year but he pulled back to become a team player. Ellis may have a marginally better slapshot, but Murphy has a much wider shot selection: he has a wrister, one-timer, snapshot, slapshot... and they are all hard, accurate with good release.

Edit: Your profile says you are 36 years old... how could you compare Murphy to Fogarty when you are 36 years old? You literally would've been 13 when Fogarty was drafted.

Last edited by Brain Hemorrhage: 04-23-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old
04-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Nullus Reverentia

Fogarty was destroyed by alcohol, he was an amazing hockey player.

So comparing Murphy to him is saying he's easily better than Ellis.

Old
04-23-2011, 12:18 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
I hope he falls to the Bruins at 9
won't happen IMO

any of

Larsson
RNH
Landeskog
Huberdeau
Strome
Couturier
Hamilton
Murphy will not get past #8 pick ...there is a BIG drop off after these guys. With the next 2 best guys being Zbinajad and Seimens but noway do I see them breaking into the top 8.

Closed Thread