HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Ryan Murphy - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2011, 12th overall, Carolina)

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Shaun

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I can see Murphy turning into a better version of Kris Letang and I would be thrilled if Lou decided to pick such a player. If he can manage to trade down and acquire a extra pick (2nd rounder in 2012 please ), it would be the ultimate move IMO.
Would he trade down to the 9th pick and Minnesotas 2nd rounder which I think is 40th?

Old
04-26-2011, 10:14 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Would he trade down to the 9th pick and Minnesotas 2nd rounder which I think is 40th?
I don't think so. Dropping 5 spots when the cream of the crop seems to be in the top #8 is a MAJOR gamble.

Old
04-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Yashin for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Posted this in the Leafs section to show how dynamic Murphy is.

heres goal totals of some NHL'ers in there second year in junior hockey.

Ryan Murphy 26 goals
Drew Doughty 21 goals
Shea Weber 12 goals
Kris Letang 25 goals
PK Subban 15 goals
Alex Pietrangelo 13 goals
Mike Green 6 goals
Cam Fowler 8 goals (first/only season)
Im sold on Muphy, I just dont understand why he was left off of the U20 WJC. If he was so good why wasnt he on the team?

Old
04-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
Im sold on Muphy, I just dont understand why he was left off of the U20 WJC. If he was so good why wasnt he on the team?
They left off him and Murray who both had good enough camps to make the team but they took the older more experienced players.

He was definitely good enough to make the team.

Old
04-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Dave Cameron left 3 players off that people that followed the evaluation said could have made it. Ryan Murray, Ryan Murphy, and RNH. Cameron took a workman group to satisfy the style he usually coaches. Those three players had little chance from the beginning.

He was also 17 in an 18 and 19 year olds tournament.

The bigger question is, how was he left off the U18 Ivan Hlinka team back in August. Team Canada prefers Dmen that take of their own end as well or better than the offensive side, Murphy left question marks in his defensive ability after last season by the sounds of it. He's made strides apparently.

Old
04-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
From the accounts of people who saw the camp they were puzzled also since they thought that Murphy was not only one of the top defenceman but one of the best players. But HC tends to go with older players so it shouldn't be totally unexpected since it seems this happens every year. Also it was pointed out before that with Ellis on the team that they figured they never needed Murphy. (what's that about hindsight?)

Old
04-26-2011, 11:19 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Far more offensive creativity than Dave Cameron's brain could handle?

Old
04-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Yashin for President

79 points for the Rangers this year is so impressive. There has to be one GM selecting in the top 5 that doesnt care about his size and loves everything else about him. I see him going in the top 5 for sure, Isles would be lucky to have him. I would take him over Hamilton. I dont know what it is about Hamilton, reminds me too much of Pietroangelo. Not a fan of him. Isles need some razzle dazzle if you know what I mean...

Old
04-27-2011, 07:51 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Do people see him being a 1st pairing d-men or more of a 2nd pairing blueliner? Will he be capable of playing against the best players on the opposing team?

Old
04-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Nullus Reverentia

Definitely a #1 Defensemen.

Old
04-27-2011, 09:29 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedenby21 View Post
Solid interview and I LOVE his comment at the 18:30 minute mark....

Old
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Minister of Offence

Devils would be silly to pass...Murphy setting up Kovalchuk, Parise, Tedenby and whoever else over the long haul? The value of the pick over the long term is just exceptional. Solve one big hole in NJs lineup, guaranteed, in one pick. Need matters when it's a blatant need and you could argue the player is BPA anyways.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:37 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Devils would be silly to pass...Murphy setting up Kovalchuk, Parise, Tedenby and whoever else over the long haul? The value of the pick over the long term is just exceptional. Solve one big hole in NJs lineup, guaranteed, in one pick. Need matters when it's a blatant need and you could argue the player is BPA anyways.
That's what I've been trying to tell my board but they're still skeptical. I suggested trading down with you guys and possibly land your 35th overall pick or better yet, your 2012 2nd rounder about two weeks ago.... I got flammed like I was suggesting a Parise Vs mid round pick type of deal.

Alot of people base their own opinion on youtube clips, what they read on HF and other sites. I've had the chance to watch this kid play in +/- 25 games this season and he has a special set of skills that is exactly what this team is lacking to bring us over that hump of 1st round exits we've seen over the last 5 years. I'm not saying he'll be NHL ready next year but we can take our time to mold him the "Devils" way and make him a very solid 2 way blueliner with exceptionnal offensive instincts.

Would the Sens be ready to move their 2012 2nd rounder with the 6th overall pick if Landeskog is still on the board?

Old
04-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Definitely a #1 Defensemen.
I'm STH for the Rangers and as big of Murphy fan as there is.
But will Murphy be considered a number 1 shutdown defensive pairing?....No, but with his exceptional skillset he'll be ok in his zone and AAA+ when he has the puck.

Does that average out to be a No.1 D-pairing?...maybe, maybe not.
It all depends on a person's perspective.

If I was a NHL GM I would be very comfortable drafting Murphy in the top 5.

There will always be naysayers every year, heck look at the guff that Skinner took last year because his skating
was poor, had no shot and wouldn't be able to hack it in the NHL. (let'me see...youngest NHL All-Star ever, probably Calder winner and a member of Team Canada at the World Championship.
Not too bad for all those things going against him!)

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 04-27-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old
04-27-2011, 10:57 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I'm STH for the Rangers and as big of Murphy fan as there is.
But will Murphy be considered a number 1 shutdown defensive pairing?....No, but with his exceptional skillset he'll be ok in his zone and AAA+ when he has the puck.

Does that average out to be a No.1 D-pairing?...maybe, maybe not.
It all depends on a person's perspective.

If I was a NHL GM is would be very comfortable drafting Murphy in the top 5.
I agree.

I can see Murphy being a 1st pair d-men if put with the proper SAH partner and we have a very solid option in Anton Volchenkov.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
That's what I've been trying to tell my board but they're still skeptical. I suggested trading down with you guys and possibly land your 35th overall pick or better yet, your 2012 2nd rounder about two weeks ago.... I got flammed like I was suggesting a Parise Vs mid round pick type of deal.

Alot of people base their own opinion on youtube clips, what they read on HF and other sites. I've had the chance to watch this kid play in +/- 25 games this season and he has a special set of skills that is exactly what this team is lacking to bring us over that hump of 1st round exits we've seen over the last 5 years. I'm not saying he'll be NHL ready next year but we can take our time to mold him the "Devils" way and make him a very solid 2 way blueliner with exceptionnal offensive instincts.

Would the Sens be ready to move their 2012 2nd rounder with the 6th overall pick if Landeskog is still on the board?
In all honesty, I talk Karlsson's offensive skill set up like I would no other Dman in hockey. And I will stand by it, when Karlsson is 23-25 he's going to be a pretty special offensive Dman.

I think Murphy's package may end up better. I'm not convinced his lateral mobility will be quite as difficult to contain while walking the line....both of these guys seem built to run a top PP. Ottawa's working to surround Karlsson with talent....NJ already has Kovalchuk, Parise, Tedenby.

I've seen how one little skilled dynamo on the back end can create problems for teams while playing on an Island on the PP. Murphy's got 10 years of Kovalchuk. And Murphy loves to shoot, because his release is so quick that he can always get it off when there's a lane.

Regarding the 2012 2nd rounder...I think that's only an option if we get an extra 2nd via Nashville beating Vancouver. Everyone's aware of what kind of draft 2012 is shaping up to be...so I'd say it's unlikely.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:14 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
In all honesty, I talk Karlsson's offensive skill set up like I would no other Dman in hockey. And I will stand by it, when Karlsson is 23-25 he's going to be a pretty special offensive Dman.

I think Murphy's package may end up better. I'm not convinced his lateral mobility will be quite as difficult to contain while walking the line....both of these guys seem built to run a top PP. Ottawa's working to surround Karlsson with talent....NJ already has Kovalchuk, Parise, Tedenby.

I've seen how one little skilled dynamo on the back end can create problems for teams while playing on an Island on the PP. Murphy's got 10 years of Kovalchuk. And Murphy loves to shoot, because his release is so quick that he can always get it off when there's a lane.

Regarding the 2012 2nd rounder...I think that's only an option if we get an extra 2nd via Nashville beating Vancouver. Everyone's aware of what kind of draft 2012 is shaping up to be...so I'd say it's unlikely.
A guy like Murphy would make it close to impossible to contain on the PP cause he would demand some attention at the top of the diamond with his rocket of a shot cause at the moment, we have 5 forwards running our PP. The reason why we have 5 forwards is because we don't have a single d-men that's a threat to score from the point... ZERO.

By adding a guy like that at the point, it would open up some space in the slot or down low for our skilled forwards cause ATM, the opposing wingers aren't paying that much attention to our pointmen cause they don't know what to do with the puck, so they're "cheating" a bit, making it harder for our forwards to find space in the offensive zone.

I wish my board would see that instead of falling in love with Couturier/Landeskog/Huberdeau but if we do get one of those players... I won't be dissapointed, but I would rather have Ryan Murphy.

Old
05-05-2011, 07:51 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Here's a nice read on Murphy...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?...26id%3d6472826

Quote:
Murphy has been knocked (sometimes on this blog) for occasionally out-of-control play. And some think that he doesn't fit the physical profile of a D who would be a top-10 pick. These, however, are the only knocks I could see on him -- and the only ones I hear from scouts. He can do things with puck that none of the others can. In fact, he can do things that you won't find in two year's worth of draft candidates. "You can talk yourself into grading him down because of what he isn't, but you have to focus on what he is and what he can do," one scout said last week. "He is just a hockey player. The less complicated you make it, the more clearly you see it."
Quote:
On the other hand Hamilton fits the conventional prospect's physical profile and has a high skill set, but not a unique one like Murphy's. And what I hear from scouts and coaches is that Hamilton should be back in junior next year. "He doesn't have the physical edge that you'd see in Gudbranson, say," one OHL executive told me. "He has size but plays smaller. His effort is a little in-and-out. All the pieces are there, but you look to him and think he should show more."
Quote:
This brings us back to Murphy and Hamilton. I keep thinking of Drew Doughty and Zach Bogosian. Bogosian was the prospect of the conventional sort and Doughty this, well, freak. Bogosian was a pure athlete, while the ugliest thing in junior hockey was Doughty with his shirt off. He didn't look like he could physically compete in junior, never mind the NHL -- until they dropped the puck. Doughty had all the skills and hockey sense to get past any shortcomings and I sort of suspect that Murphy will be the same.

Maybe Murphy doesn't jump directly to the NHL next season -- after all Doughty and Fowler were late birthdays and they had U-20 experience as draft-eligibles. But after dominating the U-18 World Championships, Murphy might make the jump like the two other former OHL Ds. And five years from now, if Larsson isn't the best D in the draft, it will be Murphy.
If Larsson is off the board, I hope to god Lou goes with Murphy.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

Tell Me About Ryan Murphy

Tell me about the 12th overall pick to the Carolina Hurricanes, Ryan Murphy.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:13 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Look up one of his threads....they are big and plentiful.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
Old
06-26-2011, 12:28 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Could be the best offensive Dman to enter the NHL since Brian Leetch or Paul Coffey. Will have their defensive short-comings, too.

Worst case scenario, he should be as good as Mike Green at his best.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
No, that's not a worst-case scenario. That's one of the better ones.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Could be the best offensive Dman to enter the NHL since Brian Leetch or Paul Coffey. Will have their defensive short-comings, too.

Well, I have seen Ryan Murphy play live approximately 120 times in the last two years. Let me just say his "Defensive short-comings" are vastly exaggerated by most people. He has come a loooooong way in that regard. In fact, by year's end he was one of Kitchener's best defensive players. Amazingly quick feet and acceleration. He angles players well and has great sense.

His only real short-coming is that he can get out-muscled. But he competes and doesn't give in. He has the odd brain cramp (in both ends) by trying to do too much, but he's as elite as it gets on the skill end.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:43 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
Paul Coffey and Brian Leetch, really?

I can't help but notice every draft there's supposedly a young d-man who will be the "best since Player X."

Hedman. Larsson. Murphy. Ryan Ellis.

Hell, if Ryan Murphy turns out half as good as Mike Green, the Canes should be happy.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Paul Coffey and Brian Leetch, really?

I can't help but notice every draft there's supposedly a young d-man who will be the "best since Player X."

Hedman. Larsson. Murphy. Ryan Ellis.

Hell, if Ryan Murphy turns out half as good as Mike Green, the Canes should be happy.
Watch him before you say something like that. It's kinda funny everyone that judges his upside are people who've never seen him play outside of maybe the U18.

Even during the draft TSN said it, that he's a Paul Coffey like defensemen and Coffey himself thinks Murphy is a lot like him and says teams are being ridiculous skipping on him.

Sure he's going to have troubles, and he's by no means guarenteed to reach his max potential, but it's so evident when you see him what kind of upside this kid has. There hasn't been a defensemen who controls the flow and tempo of a game like Murphy does since those HOF offensive defensemen.

In 5 years I think we'll look back and ask how teams ever skipped on him. I want to a Murphy thread brought up then, whether I'm wrong or not.

Closed Thread