HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Ryan Murphy - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2011, 12th overall, Carolina)

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2010, 02:47 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
bumped.

He know has 4 goals, 9 assists and 13 points in Kitchener's first 5 games.

The kid skates like the wind and has amazing offensive skills.

Old
10-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
bumped.

He know has 4 goals, 9 assists and 13 points in Kitchener's first 5 games.

The kid skates like the wind and has amazing offensive skills.
He's leading the OHL in assists and points.

Old
10-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Here's one of many posts I'm sure I will have on Murphy this year. If you haven't seen the video yet (it's been out there a while) then it's worth watching. Nice background on three '11 prospects with Murphy being the one who'll go first.

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot...lt-on-ohl.html

Old
10-09-2010, 03:27 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

i remember don cherry predicting that he would be going #1 this year last year during coach's corner, obviously not going to happen but they showed clips of him and he looked like a great pmd.

Old
10-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Hockey 4 View Post
I don't know much about murray but i assume hes bigger cause murphy is like close to 5'9. With Ryan Murphy he's a great skater, has a hard shot, quick release, he would be something like a ryan ellis, but i guess without the defence. Murphy kind of reminds me of scott niedermayer in the way he skates and rushes the puck, but ive only seen him a few times, so its not a very accurate read.

Murphy picked it up scoring 17 points in 20 games in the playoffs as a 16 year-old defenceman
He's more Mike Green than Ellis, IMO. He takes a lot more chances and is poor defensively, but has an insane offensive skill set.

Old
10-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
He's more Mike Green than Ellis, IMO. He takes a lot more chances and is poor defensively, but has an insane offensive skill set.
Obviously you haven't watched Murphy this year. He has significantly (And I mean significantly) improved his defensive play. He is easily the best player in the OHL so far.

Right now hes on pace for about 54 goals and 176 points, lets say he finishes with around 110 points and 40 goals, is he a favourite for first overall?

Old
10-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Jayhawk

Send a message via MSN to Jayhawk
yes.

Old
10-09-2010, 03:50 PM
The Scouting Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errettung View Post
Obviously you haven't watched Murphy this year. He has significantly (And I mean significantly) improved his defensive play. He is easily the best player in the OHL so far.

Right now hes on pace for about 54 goals and 176 points, lets say he finishes with around 110 points and 40 goals, is he a favourite for first overall?
It'd be nothing short of miraculous if he maintained this pace, but obviously he's been dominant so far.

With that being said, if I'm an NHL team, his numbers aren't really the be all and end all for me. Simply put, as much as he dominates the OHL, he's not going to the dominate the NHL in the same fashion. His ability to play at the NHL is going to be influenced by his ability not to be liable for defensive blunders at the other end of the ice. He also doesn't have that great size, which will make some people leery.

I'm definitely a fan, and it's awesome to see the numbers he's putting up, but I still think he's in that 5-10 range, and I would likely slot him in around 6 or 7, which is pretty much where I had him going into the season.

Old
10-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Lisa Needs Braces

Quote:

if he scores 100 points AS A DEFENSEMAN He'll probably go second overall behind Larssen...but only because Larssen is a safer bet. The 2011 draft would definitely become a Larssen vs. Murphy draft though. It would take a lot to pass Larssen for 1st overall I think.

100 points as a player in his draft year is incredible....to do it as a defenseman would be insane. Anybody know who was the last defenseman to do it? Ellis came close in his draft year with 89 points.

Old
10-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:

He's played 5 games so far.

Rangers fans should be happy if he puts up 70-80 points.

Old
10-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
He's played 5 games so far.

Rangers fans should be happy if he puts up 70-80 points.
If he scores 80 I will be happy, its probably where he'l finish, but I asked if he did finish with 100 points what would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Needs Braces View Post
if he scores 100 points AS A DEFENSEMAN He'll probably go second overall behind Larssen...but only because Larssen is a safer bet. The 2011 draft would definitely become a Larssen vs. Murphy draft though. It would take a lot to pass Larssen for 1st overall I think.

100 points as a player in his draft year is incredible....to do it as a defenseman would be insane. Anybody know who was the last defenseman to do it? Ellis came close in his draft year with 89 points.
I think Coffey was the last to do it with 102 points

Old
10-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
If he scores 80 I will be happy, its probably where he'l finish, but I asked if he did finish with 100 points what would happen.
I'd have to agree with TSR, as more points for Murphy won't move him up the rankings or contend for first overall (within reason). What will, is improving his defensive game, his positioning and taking less risks, IMO.

Old
10-11-2010, 05:31 PM
HabLover

Ryan Murphy

Is this kid moving up the rankings yet or is he still too small and cant play defence?

I dont know of too many 17 yr old d-men who have led the OHL in scoring at anytime in their careers? I know he cannot possibly keep up this pace, but the kid must be doing a few things right?

I have a hard time thinking of how he got cut from the U18 Team Canada squad?

Will Don Cherry's prediction still come true for Murphy?

On a side note, how does teammate Matia Marcantuoni look? He only has 1 goal but is a point per game to date.

Old
10-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Yeah there is 2 threads

But his defence has significantly improved from last year, he's far from a liability anymore, it's amazing how well he's progressed. If he keeps this up he'l score 100 points and could make everyone who called Cherry an idiot for saying Murphy will go first overall stupid

But right now he's a lock for top 10 and maybe top 5.

Old
10-12-2010, 07:53 AM
walker33

You can't ignore the numbers hes leading the OHL in scoring in his draft year as a Defencemen...he can skate and he has a knack for throwing open ice hits. I love this kid. He is so talented and now playing on a good kitchener team he is going to explode.

Old
10-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

2 goals tonight and hes matched and exceeded his goal totals in his first 9 games from his rookie season.

Still looking great offensively while also still playing good defensively.

Maybe a homer but by Decemeber we may have a new 1st overall candidate

Old
10-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Dice on Ice

Needs to clean up in his own zone but the offensive ability is tops for all blue liners this year

Old
10-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice on Ice View Post
Needs to clean up in his own zone but the offensive ability is tops for all blue liners this year
The thing is this year, Murphy has really cleaned up his defensive play compared to last year, its getting to the point that its getting good, its just taking him awhile to shake that identity.

Old
10-16-2010, 10:53 PM
smokes lets go

Quote:
2 goals tonight and hes matched and exceeded his goal totals in his first 9 games from his rookie season.

Still looking great offensively while also still playing good defensively.

Maybe a homer but by Decemeber we may have a new 1st overall candidate
his lack of size will prevent him from being in any contention for 1st overall

Old
10-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahey and Randy View Post
his lack of size will prevent him from being in any contention for 1st overall
Hes not bulky but 5'11 at 17 isn't a lack of size. He'l need to put on weight for the NHL. but its not like hes 5'9 160 lbs

Old
10-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Garyboy

Ryan Murphy have a shot at making Canada's WJ team?

Hi guys,

Just found this board, and think it's great. Nice to talk with fellow fans of players on their way up. Just find it a lot more interesting to follow than the NHL. Anyways, glad to be here.

Just curious if any of you heard anything about Kitchener Ranger D Ryan Murphy and his chances at playing for Canada at the World Juniors. I've been following him since his Minor Midget season with York Simcoe and have always thought the guy is destined for stardom. While Cantenacci and Francisco got the bulk of the fan fare, I always thought Murphy was their top prospect. Just an incredible talent.

Seeing as his season has been lights out so far, I would find it hard for Hockey Canada to not invite him to their camp in mid Decemeber. Ellis made the team as a UA two years ago, and I think Murphy's that much better than Ellis.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Old
10-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Murphy is better than Ellis was at 17, maybe better than he is now (Probably not) but Canada is definitely going to take Ellis, and I doubt Canada wants another PP quarterback.

Old
10-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Raptactics29

Quote:
Murphy is better than Ellis was at 17, maybe better than he is now (Probably not) but Canada is definitely going to take Ellis, and I doubt Canada wants another PP quarterback.
Unfortunately I agree with you.. I'd really love to see Murphy play at the WJC stage. I definitely hope he gets an invite though!

Old
10-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Without a doubt he has a shot, it's up to him depending how he performs up till the selection.

Old
10-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
With both Ellis and De Haan returning, that hurts Murphy's chances if for no other reason than the "PP QB" spots have been filled. Murphy's only chance is then to prove to Team Canada brass that bringing along a third PP QB type would be better than bringing along someone who may be stronger in the defensive end.

Closed Thread