HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Ryan Murphy - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2011, 12th overall, Carolina)

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2010, 09:33 PM
SensFan26

vCash: 500
Ryan Murphy will drop like Fowler.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Kevin Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
He also predicted many years ago that Rob Schremp would go first overall in his draft year.

I'm not a Don Cherry hater but he's obviously OHL biased.
Proof?

Old
11-13-2010, 09:38 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errettung View Post
People can have opinions, but its completely wrong to say he has no chance to go first overall.

I've noticed you like to pick and choose things from peoples post and ignore other parts so you can answer a certain way.

For one, I said people can have opinons, but saying theres no way hes going to go first overall is not "stating an opinion", its more like you try to put it off as fact. Also, I never said "zomg murphy definitely going first overall others suck he #1!!!!!!!!", you try to put it off as I'm saying hes a lock for first overall, when I'm definitely not.

Where did I make it look like I was mad people didn't think that? I have an opinion too and just because you and others don't agree with it doesn't mean my feelings are hurt
Just from reading on here I know how big of a supporter of Murphy you are. That's fine. He's a great player. You are just coming off sour.

Yes, he might go first overall.

But, he might not.

I never said you thought he would go first overall either.

And yes, people can say it's hilarious that someone actually thinks he might go first overall. That's their opinion. It's not them trying to play it off as a fact. It's not right or wrong. (yet)

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
Old
11-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Does anyone have any comment from either a professional scout or someone connected to an NHL team suggesting Murphy is a serious contender to go #1 overall?

There's a reason Cherry hasn't actually had a job in hockey itself in practically forever, other than owning and then coaching that miserable abortion of a junior team he tried to field. His opinion isn't any more authoritative on matters of drafting and scouting as any other media person or fan who has a few favorites that they hype but don't actually put in serious time to scout or analyze the field.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Minister of Offence

I personally think the Ryan Murphy going 1st overall or top 3 motion going on among some people is a little much. And that has nothing to do with his potential to be an elite NHL player. It's just so unlikely.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
How do you know? Before the start of this season, Murphy was maybe top 10, slightly outside, he was a defensive liability and it didn't help he was only "176" lbs and 5'11 (Which for some reason is considered quite small on HFBoards)

This season hes improved so much from his already incredible talent, hes no longer a defensive liability at all, he controls the play every time hes on the ice, and hes arguably the best skater in the 2011 draft. Hes improving his stock so much that its not absurd to say Murphy may steal a good spot on the 2010 WJC.

If Murphy continues to excell and improve, and the "Big 3" don't pick start showing similar strides (Not saying they're playing bad just not improving as expected), its not delusional at all to say he may go first overall.
RNH has improved by alot from last season. Last season his ppg was 0.97 this year ppg 1.36. Not to mention all the rave comments about his play at this summers u18 .

Old
11-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Kevin Malone

I don't know about anyone else but whenever I see Murphy play I see shades of Phil Housley.

Housley went #6 back in 82 even though he should of went higher. I wouldn't be surprised to see Murphy go in that area.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Toydarian

If Cherry is right about Murphy going #1, I would start putting a lot more stock in his predictions.

Murphy seems to have Mike Green type offensive potential and despite Green's offense I can think of a lot of other defenseman I would rather have.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
He "predicted" Stamkos and Hall.
I think they were no-brainers for most people.
Hall wasn't a no brainer in 2007 when Cherry called it.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Rpro

Quote:
Don Cherrys a bonehead but I highly doubt he said that. I googled what you said and the first thing that came up about that was this post. Ovechkin was called the first overall pick for that draft but EVERYONE for years before.
He did say that. I remember clear as day seeing the video. This was probably when Schremp was an OHL rookie with the Icedogs, years before his NHL draft when he was 16, but Cherry said it.

I also remember him downplaying Crosby as a rookie in preseason and pumping Brandon friggin' Bochenski as a Calder favorite.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Who else was more likely to be 1st overall back then? Seguin wasn't even in the picture then and Fowler hadn't done much either.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
He did say that. I remember clear as day seeing the video. This was probably when Schremp was an OHL rookie with the Icedogs, years before his NHL draft when he was 16, but Cherry said it.

I also remember him downplaying Crosby as a rookie in preseason and pumping Brandon friggin' Bochenski as a Calder favorite.
He might have said it, but I can't find anything about it besides this post.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Don Cherry says alot of things...

Old
11-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Who else was more likely to be 1st overall back then? Seguin wasn't even in the picture then and Fowler hadn't done much either.
Is there a clear #1 for 2013? A lot is going to happen between now and then. If you were to call it, I'd be impressed.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:01 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Can't see any properly run organizations taking Ryan Murphy over Adam Larsson.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Briere Up There*

Quote:

I've noticed you like to pick and choose things from peoples post and ignore other parts so you can answer a certain way.
Welcome to internet message boards.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
RNH has improved by alot from last season. Last season his ppg was 0.97 this year ppg 1.36. Not to mention all the rave comments about his play at this summers u18 .
Anything less than the production right now would be a disappointment. Touted as the second best forward, if he wasn't producing above 1.20 PPG he would probably have dropped. That being said, he needs to score more than 5 goals every 21 games to be considered "improved by a lot" IMO. Not saying he won't improve but he has to score some more goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briere Up There View Post
Welcome to internet message boards.
Just because people always do it doesn't make it any more right.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Anything less than the production right now would be a disappointment. Touted as the second best forward, if he wasn't producing above 1.20 PPG he would probably have dropped. That being said, he needs to score more than 5 goals every 21 games to be considered "improved by a lot" IMO. Not saying he won't improve but he has to score some more goals.

Just because people always do it doesn't make it any more right.
Let me ask you how many times have you seen him play this year and last year? It must be alot to make statements like the ones you are making about him.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Well Shoot, Don, now I may as well not even turn on the draft until 15 minutes in. Way to spoil it for me.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Just from reading on here I know how big of a supporter of Murphy you are. That's fine. He's a great player. You are just coming off sour.

Yes, he might go first overall.

But, he might not.

I never said you thought he would go first overall either.

And yes, people can say it's hilarious that someone actually thinks he might go first overall. That's their opinion. It's not them trying to play it off as a fact. It's not right or wrong. (yet)
Theres also people posting a certain way and just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to criticize their way of speaking every chance you get. Sorry to butt in but I just notice you seem to always criticize erretungs posts for whatever reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Does anyone have any comment from either a professional scout or someone connected to an NHL team suggesting Murphy is a serious contender to go #1 overall?

There's a reason Cherry hasn't actually had a job in hockey itself in practically forever, other than owning and then coaching that miserable abortion of a junior team he tried to field. His opinion isn't any more authoritative on matters of drafting and scouting as any other media person or fan who has a few favorites that they hype but don't actually put in serious time to scout or analyze the field.
Well nobody thought Skinner would go as high as he did or Seguin as high as he did at the start of last year. Don Cherry sees an amazing player in Murphy and so far it seems like Murphy is going to be a big climber because quite frankly right now his numbers are disgusting.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Let me ask you how many times have you seen him play this year and last year? It must be alot to make statements like the ones you are making about him.
I saw him a few times last year, no times this year, but to me, even though stats don't ever tell the full story, theres no way you can justify a significant improvement in play when a player only has 5 goals in 21 games.

And I wouldn't argue about this if other people hadn't previous said that Nugent-Hopkins this season, he may be doing the most out of the big 3. Its better than Larsson and Couturier maintianing the status quo I guess.

You brought it up, so Il ask this question, is a .39 increase in PPG that amazing considering he was already one of the most highly touted players? Did you expect less than that? Is that exceeding his expectations? Or just meeting them? To me since I haven't seen him this year, I'm going to say hes meeting his expectations, but not exceeding them based on whats others have said and what I previously mentioned.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Canadiens93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Maybe not a "no brainer" but he was leading OHL rookie goal scoring with 16 at the beginning of December when Cherry predicted it, well on his way to his 45 goal total that year as a 16 year old. I'm not a Cherry basher, I just don't see the significance of him predicting Ryan Murphy being selected first overall. I could understand this thread had someone like Bob Mckenzie stated it because we can actually hold stock in what he says.

Last edited by Canadiens93: 11-13-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old
11-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Bob Cole
Bon voyage #4

don cherry also said the Laffs were going to be a playoff team

Old
11-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens93 View Post
Maybe not a "no brainer" but he was leading OHL rookie goal scoring with 16 at the beginning of December when Cherry predicted it, well on his way to his 45 goal total that year as a 16 year old. Cherry makes bold predictions like this all the time. Last year prior to the Olympics he assembled his own group that he would send as Team Canada, the defense included: Jay Boumeester, Dion Phaneuf, Marc-Andrew Bergeron, Brian Campbell, Willie Mitchell and Mike Green. None of them made the actual team. Not so much a prediction considering he wasn't stating that Yzerman would send them but it shows his lack of knowledge of modern day hockey. I'm not a Cherry basher, I just don't see the significance of him predicting Ryan Murphy being selected first overall. I could understand this thread had someone like Bob Mckenzie stated it because we can actually hold stock in what he says.
I think you're thinking of Stephane Robidas.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
I saw him a few times last year, no times this year, but to me, even though stats don't ever tell the full story, theres no way you can justify a significant improvement in play when a player only has 5 goals in 21 games.

And I wouldn't argue about this if other people hadn't previous said that Nugent-Hopkins this season, he may be doing the most out of the big 3. Its better than Larsson and Couturier maintianing the status quo I guess.

You brought it up, so Il ask this question, is a .39 increase in PPG that amazing considering he was already one of the most highly touted players? Did you expect less than that? Is that exceeding his expectations? Or just meeting them? To me since I haven't seen him this year, I'm going to say hes meeting his expectations, but not exceeding them based on whats others have said and what I previously mentioned.
First I just want to say that I am not trying to pick on you. Its just that I hate when people post on players that they have not seen like you said you have not seen him this year.
IMOP he is on par with what he should be doing. The Rebel offence runs through him. His vision is amazing thus the assist to goal ratio (although I thought he would have more then 5 goals this year). He was the leading goal scorer for Canada at the U18 this summer so that should say that he can score as well. Most important though he is faster, stronger and battles harder everything you want a prospect to improve on. I have watched him abunch last year and 3 times so far this year.

Closed Thread