HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spacek 5th worst signings in the 2009 UFA by Proteau

Old
08-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I thought any contract after 35 doesn't get erased from the cap...hence the issue of the low salary to Hossa and Pronger.
That's if he signs it at the age of 35, or older. Then it counts against you regardless. If the contract was signed before the player was 35 then if he retires, it stops. That's at least my understanding.

Anyway you look at it, the Pronger contract sucks. Tim Thomas' contract sucks too.

4 years, 5 mill for a guy who's already 35. Boston will either further hinder the development of Rask, or have a 5 million dollar backup in a year, or 2. Don't worry, though. Only Montréal does stupid things.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:39 AM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
No way Gill will play with Markov.
The only time they will play together in during SH.

Gill was 5th in Total TOI in Pittsburg.
On a game basis, despite being 2nd in SH TOI/G, he was behind Boucher and Goligoski in 7th TOI/G(if you remove Whitney).
He was only ahead of Eaton.
I do expect him to be top-3 of SH but he will be bottom pairing.

We have Markov, Spacek, Gorges, Hammer and Gill who can play top SH time. Mara can help also.
Spacek and Gill should be able to replace Komisarek and Bouillon.

As for Spacek, we need to see how he fits with us.
One thing for sure: he was putting top minutes on D in Buffalo.

And he does not seem to go down at 35: 21, 32 and 45 points in the last three seasons.
Would have been 29, 44 and 46 if he would have played 82 games.

If he plays with Markov on PP (39 PPP) then he will have great chances to get more than 22 PP Points he did with Rivet (11 PPP) and Numinnen (6 PPP).

Assuming 70 games (average games per year), I expect him to get 40+ points.

If he is not injured and he plays with Markov on PP, we could even see 50+ (optimist). If O'Byrne can improve to replace Mara and either Weber or Subban become top-4...

Because he was injured a few times, I would like to see him play with Hammer, Mara or O'Byrne on regular shift to add to his 76 hits.
If he gets injured, well we have Weber or Subban as a callup.

Besides these points, I have no idea about the line-up.
read the first line of his post.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 07:13 AM
LouisJCloutier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Oups. I should remove the first line of my post.
Would Carbo do that? Really?

The rest is still valid.

Nahhh don't listen to them. Carbo wouldn't do that. Here's what he would do:

Gill - Gomez - Gionta

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 07:58 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I thought any contract after 35 doesn't get erased from the cap...hence the issue of the low salary to Hossa and Pronger.
If a contract is signed after 35 then it won't be erased from the cap.
If it was signed before 35 it will be erased. So Hossa's will, Pronger's won't. Pronger extended his deal while he was 34, but the extension doesn't start until July 1, 2010 at which time he will be 35. So his cap hit will count for the entire contract if he retires, Philly screwed themselves on that on.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I'm crossing my fingers for this

Markov-Mara
Hammer-Georges
Spacek-Gill

....i want Hammer to be THE offensive D on his pairing....
I do not think Hamerlik has the skills to be an offensive D anymore. His accuracy is just not good. He rarely hits the net. Neither is his shot that powerful, nor does he have the timing for the one timer.

If anything, the dream scenario is that we trade away his contract. He is a good Defensive D when he plays within himself, but when he tries to rekindle his early career's success in the offensive zone...

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I do not think Hamerlik has the skills to be an offensive D anymore. His accuracy is just not good. He rarely hits the net. Neither is his shot that powerful, nor does he have the timing for the one timer.

If anything, the dream scenario is that we trade away his contract. He is a good Defensive D when he plays within himself, but when he tries to rekindle his early career's success in the offensive zone...
With so many good right-handed defensmens coming in, it would be a very dumb decision to trade Hammer. Having no D coach for a while now, Hamrlik brought that stability our D core needed. Last year was simply an off year just like everybody else. His 5'4 mil contract is alot, but we need him, period.

P.S: For a player who doesn't have the same offensive skills anymore, finishing 10th in even strengh points for defensmens is the league is pretty good don't ya think?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:51 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
With so many good right-handed defensmens coming in, it would be a very dumb decision to trade Hammer. Having no D coach for a while now, Hamrlik brought that stability our D core needed. Last year was simply an off year just like everybody else. His 5'4 mil contract is alot, but we need him, period.

P.S: For a player who doesn't have the same offensive skills anymore, finishing 10th in even strengh points for defensmens is the league is pretty good don't ya think?
I dont know if this year he'll have some powerplay time. I suppose the firs PP will be Markov, Spacek, Cammaleri, Gomez and Gionta (or AK). But what about the second one ? Hamrlik and Mara with ... Latendresse, Plekanec and AK(or Gionta) ??

Or Markov and Spacek do all the PP time...

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 11:19 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
I dont know if this year he'll have some powerplay time. I suppose the firs PP will be Markov, Spacek, Cammaleri, Gomez and Gionta (or AK). But what about the second one ? Hamrlik and Mara with ... Latendresse, Plekanec and AK(or Gionta) ??

Or Markov and Spacek do all the PP time...
Gionta-Gomez-Cammalleri
Markov-Spacek

Latendresse-Plekanec-AK
Hamrlik-SK

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
That's if he signs it at the age of 35, or older. Then it counts against you regardless. If the contract was signed before the player was 35 then if he retires, it stops. That's at least my understanding.
Anyway you look at it, the Pronger contract sucks. Tim Thomas' contract sucks too.

4 years, 5 mill for a guy who's already 35. Boston will either further hinder the development of Rask, or have a 5 million dollar backup in a year, or 2. Don't worry, though. Only Montréal does stupid things.
Actually I believe that the contract doesn't count against the cap the season he retires irregardless of if he's over 35 at the time of the signing. Pittsburgh used that clause for someone a few years back. (Maybe Palffy or LeClair)

Sign a 2 year contract. Retire at the start of the first. Cap hit doesn't count for the first year anymore. Only in the second.

At least that's the way I understood it. So Spacek could retire in the 3rd year of the contract and not have his salary count against the cap in this scenario.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:

Look, I am not saying he is horrible. Far from it. He brings a good defensive game to the rink. Nice and stable. But not spectacular. Just offensively, not gonna do it for you. His contract is heavy, and his work could be done for less $$.

As for that stat... come on.. if you dig deep enough into the stats you can find whatever you want to support an opinion.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
Actually I believe that the contract doesn't count against the cap the season he retires irregardless of if he's over 35 at the time of the signing. Pittsburgh used that clause for someone a few years back. (Maybe Palffy or LeClair)

Sign a 2 year contract. Retire at the start of the first. Cap hit doesn't count for the first year anymore. Only in the second.

At least that's the way I understood it. So Spacek could retire in the 3rd year of the contract and not have his salary count against the cap in this scenario.
Spacek, yeah, but this was about Hossa and Pronger, both of their contracts run till they're...42 I believe.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Mustafa*

We got a guy under 4 millions who can hit and take a hit, rarely injured, offensivly gifted, a veteran... a shot from the point... how can it be a bad signing? It's not even 4 millions.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Gionta-Gomez-Cammalleri
Markov-Spacek

Latendresse-Plekanec-AK
Hamrlik-SK
Exactly. And if SK can't get er done on the point, you could easily sub Mara.

Pretty solid PP Units.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:52 PM
LouisJCloutier

Proteau, 5th worst journalist in 2009.

Old
08-07-2009, 01:08 PM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJCloutier View Post
Proteau, 5th worst journalist in 2009.
Who are the 4 ahead of him ?

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Réjean Tremblay is one of them for sure.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:38 PM
LouisJCloutier

That guy from La Presse....Michel something... doesn't remember his full name is propably the first one.

He's the one who said that the Habs were one of the worst team of profesionnal sport in North America.

Also that guy from Rue Frontenac for his comment about Gainey and how «he turned his back to people under strange circumstances».

Rejean Tremblay deserve to be 3rd.

Old
08-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Alcoolique*

LOL

Did this guy just called "Torts" a softy coach ? Come on lol,

This guy doesn't know ****.

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Bitterman

The Hockey News has been in steady decline ever since Bob McKenzie left and now even the Draft Preview I've picked up every year since the 80's is fading. Shame really.

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:16 PM
silver321

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJCloutier View Post
Nahhh don't listen to them. Carbo wouldn't do that. Here's what he would do:

Gill - Gomez - Gionta

More like Gill - Gomez - Laracque

Typical Carbo line

silver321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:30 PM
golgoXIII

''the hockey news ''??? they put, 2 years ago ,Vesa Toskala the 26th best player of all the NHL... it's telling everything

golgoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoolique View Post
LOL

Did this guy just called "Torts" a softy coach ? Come on lol,

This guy doesn't know ****.
He is obviously being sarcarstic on that one, saying that Kotalik's floating ways wont bode well with torts.

That was pretty much the only true thing about his article. Although I do agree that the Gionta contract belongs there, the Spacek signing was one of Gainey's best this offseason. Besides Bowmeester, I think he was one of the best offensively gifted dmen!

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:13 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
How can hockey writers still not get it... If a player is a UFA, he can field offers from many teams, thus the chances of him being paid more then young, talented RFAs is normal. I am sure on July 1st Montreal was not the only team going after Spacek, so he give him 300k more then the competition and you walk away with a solid guy on the back end.

Please hockeynews, fire the writers who don't have a clue how the finances of the sport work, your website looks pathetic when they talk with this much ignorance... The writers WHOLE argument about Spacek is based on overpayment compared to others, but how does it make it a bad contract? Only time will tell.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:57 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

hahahah awful spacek is a number 2 d who can put 40+ pts while also playing good defensvely and logging alot of minutes for less then 4 million and its a bad signing not just bad the 5th worst ahahahah anyone can be a sports writer these days

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Habsfan18

Proteau has no idea what he's talking about. That's like saying your team won the draft a day after it happend.

I'm tired of people judging players by salary only.

Spacek is a solid defenseman. I'm not sure if I would have given him a 3 year deal, but he'll help our PP and he's a veteran presence.

He's ran into injury problems in the past though.

58 games in 03-04, 65 games in 06-07, 60 games in 07-08.

Here's hoping he stays healthy.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote