HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Getzlaf: Overrated? Yes or No.

View Poll Results: Is Getzlaf Overrated? Yes or No?
Yes, He's Good But Definitely Not the Best. 40 31.25%
No, He's The Total Package and an Elite Player in the NHL. 88 68.75%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Flames 1st pick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
Wierd choices with the descriptions. He's not the best but he is elite.
Definite weird wordings in the poll.

I say yes to both. Yes, he is extremely overrated on HFboards these days and yes he is an elite player.

He is just not the best player in the league.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:47 PM
zackisonfire*

1-3.The big 3
4.Datsyuk
5.Kovy
6.Iginla
7.Getzlaf

Will he end up a better player than some of the guys in front of him on this list? Probably. Is he right now? No, people are infatuated with his future and therein lies where he becomes overrated. Proven, consistently elite players, yet they are somehow passed over by one elite season?(For the people who think he is better than all players not in the big 3)

For the people who said he falls in that second elite tier, I agree, but just after the people I listed. One more elite season and I'd say he becomes interchangeable with the players above, until then let's wait see what should be an exciting player for years to come.

Last edited by zackisonfire*: 08-06-2009 at 11:53 PM.
zackisonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdrum View Post
1-3.The big 3
4.Datsyuk
5.Kovy
6.Iginla
7.Getzlaf

Will he end up a better player than the guys in front of him on this list? Probably. .
I dont think he will be in the class with the big 3, Crosby, Malkin, Oveckin..ever. To get there he needs to find some new talent that noone has ever seen in him before.

Also It's not like those three guys are old and has reached their plateau.

I think he can definitely be as good as Iginla, and may be better player than Dats and Kovy in a different way.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:52 PM
zackisonfire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
I dont think he will be in the class with the big 3, Crosby, Malkin, Oveckin..ever. To get there he needs to find some new talent that noone has ever since in him before.

I mean to put some. At least now I can fix it before I get jumped.

Old
08-06-2009, 11:55 PM
zackisonfire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
I dont think he will be in the class with the big 3, Crosby, Malkin, Oveckin..ever. To get there he needs to find some new talent that noone has ever seen in him before.

I think he can definitely be as good as Iginla, and may be better player than Dats and Kovy in a different way.
Personally, I don't think he ever passes Kovy. Kovy is only 26 yet he has two 50 goal seasons and has averaged over a point per game in his career. I think he does pass both Dats and Iginla eventually though.

Old
08-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Inner Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
Hes definably top 5 in the league maybe even top 4.The only way hes overrated is if people say hes better then Malkin,Crosby or Ovie
Getzlaf was 15th in 2008-09 Hart Trophy voting, and definitely below Datsyuk in 2008-09 Lester Pearson voting

Inner Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:36 AM
matt trick

If he made the most of his abilities and had a Rod the Bod type work ethic, we'd be talking about the big 4, not big 3. Not knocking him because he is IMO the 5th best forward in the league, but I do believe the gap between he, Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin should be smaller.

matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
He is the 5th best player in the league.
I would argue Zetterberg/Kovalchuk to be fighting for #5, but he's quite easily Top-10, Top-5... whatever tickles your fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Slick hands, great release, amazing accuracy and slap shot. can play any situation, big body, good skater. Not one flaw in his game.

tell me how that would make someone overrated in any way, shape or form?
He's got all of that. And then possibly the stupidest thing happened not even a couple weeks back. Someone decided to throw him up into a poll against Crosby... that was it for me.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:49 AM
State of Hockey

Heck yeah. I've never seen so much hype for a 25-goal scorer. I'd like to see Getzlaf have to put in the net instead of Perry or now Ryan. Or score PP assists without Pronger and Niedermayer making the crucial play. Getz is really good, but he's not HFBoards good.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:51 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Great player but yeah he is very overrated. Some of you actually think he is on the same level as Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin.

Top10 forward for sure.

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:11 AM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Heck yeah. I've never seen so much hype for a 25-goal scorer. I'd like to see Getzlaf have to put in the net instead of Perry or now Ryan. Or score PP assists without Pronger and Niedermayer making the crucial play. Getz is really good, but he's not HFBoards good.
Is Mikko still better than him?

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 05:43 AM
Lee Van Cleef*

He's extremely overrated.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
He's extremely overrated.
i agree, I do think he's good
but one 90point season and he's better then datsyuk and kovy? that's just wrong
I seriously don't know how people can think getzlaf is better then kovalchuk who's only 2 years older..

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:46 PM
eldiablo17

He is over-rated by some by not overall. Getzlaf is a beast and easily a top-10 forward in the league.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:58 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Getzlaf is a playoff machine.

Underrated, overrated, and perfectly rated by many different groups.

This is not a fair question.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Tumsh

I dunno. I'd say he's overrated by the people who overrate him and underrated by the people that underrate him Not that you'd ever get any side to admit to it

In all seriousness. I've seen him at his best (these playoffs) and when he's at his best, there are very few players that are better. I'm not quite sure how consistent he is as I don't watch the Ducks a whole lot. But it's completely rational to rank him no4 based on what he can do, and I also think it's fairly rational to rank him a bit lower because he might not alway be on. So, most people seem to put him in the right ballpark. I guess that means I don't think he's overrated.

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:05 PM
ericnut

Quote:
Slick hands, great release, amazing accuracy and slap shot. can play any situation, big body, good skater. Not one flaw in his game.

Spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Great player but yeah he is very overrated. Some of you actually think he is on the same level as Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin.

Top10 forward for sure.
Who thinks Getzlaf is on the same level as the big three? Good luck finding a post.

I'll be shocked if Getzlaf does not reach 100 points this season. He took his game to the next level during the playoffs.

ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:08 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Spot on.

Who thinks Getzlaf is on the same level as the big three? Good luck finding a post.

I'll be shocked if Getzlaf does not reach 100 points this season. He took his game to the next level during the playoffs.
Yeah i've found quite a few who said he would be there if not now, he would be next season. He is a top10 forward but he is not that great that some, like you, are making him to be.

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:20 PM
SingDomestica

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I think people have a slightly overrated picture of him because they think of him at his best (like in the past playoffs), and then think that he consistently does that. Because when he's on like that, there's only a couple players I take over him. And even then I have to think about it.

He isn't always like that though. During the regular season he sometimes wanders. Or has shifts where he kind of slowly goes back to his own zone or the bench. Although apparently he had a sports hernia that waxed and waned, which may have been what caused his play to wax and wane.

A million times yes. If you actually watch the regular season, you can totally tell that he tends to be pretty lazy sometimes. However, you can't argue with the results that that he team lived and died with his offense until Bobby Ryan breathed some new life into it. However I wouldn't say he is better than Datsyuk because I seriously doubt he will ever get any Selke nominations, though I would still rather have Getzlaf regardless.

SingDomestica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:24 PM
ericnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Yeah i've found quite a few who said he would be there if not now, he would be next season. He is a top10 forward but he is not that great that some, like you, are making him to be.
He is a top 5 player in the league...

Come to me after the season is over.

ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Rugs by Resch

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhatesu View Post
I didn't say he wasn't good, just not as great as everyone on the board makes him out to be.

And sorry, I misread Datsyuk or Zetterburg. Zetterburg is the most overrated player on these boards by far.
This post is just fail. It pisses me off to be honest.

Quote:

Rugs by Resch is offline   Reply With Quote