HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tell me all about Anton Stralman

Old
08-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Tell me all about Anton Stralman

Flames fan here, and dont know much about this guy.

What is his playing style?
Strengths and weaknesses?
What potential does he have?
How many games did he play last season with you guys and how was his overall performance?

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
He is a good puck moving prospect. What will happen to him and how far he will develops is hard to say, though he does have some decent hands.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:21 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post

puck moving defencemen.
Loves to rush the puck up and can make good passes, great speed, think like Brian Campbell without spinoramas. Can lay some hits. Can get pucks through with a one timer or good wrister. Lacks overall strength and not that great defensively. Lacks agressiveness at times.
top 4 D, good powerplay quarterback
How many games did he play last season with you guys and how was his overall performance?
37 games, 13 points. Was used solemly on 5 on 5, but had plenty of ice-time on the PP. Defensively struggled but was creating chances.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:50 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Strengths: Passes puck well
Weaknesses: Everything else
Potential: Top 4 defenceman in NHL (slim probability), top 2 defenceman in SEL (most likely)
NHL: Brutal, looked so out of place it wasn't even funny. Only thing memorable about him being up was the amount of time he spent on the ice after tripping over the red line on multiple occasions.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:54 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Strengths: Passes puck well
Weaknesses: Everything else
Potential: Top 4 defenceman in NHL (slim probability), top 2 defenceman in SEL (most likely)
Strengths:
Passes well
Can skate with the puck with his head up.
Very fast release on his shot from the point. Accurate shot from the point.

Weakness:

Everything else, but he is young and can still learn.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Bjaxn45

I think leafs fans for over 2 years now have been overrating this guy like crazy. Don't get me wrong, he has potential and COULD become a solid PP QB and a 3rd pairing dman.

He makes solid passes and he has shown signs of getting alittle more physical but overall he's not going to help you much in the defensive zone. He doesn't have much a of a slap shot but his wrister at the point is a seeing eye shot, he almost always gets the puck through to the net with it which is very key.

I really don't know if he will develop into the guy alot of leaf fans were hoping for but he is still a usefull piece.

Bjaxn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjaxn45 View Post
I think leafs fans for over 2 years now have been overrating this guy like crazy. .
Now they try everything they can to say he sucks....

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:56 AM
shaner89

Strength's
Puck mover
PP Ability
Skating

Weaknesses
Defensive zone coverage
man-to-man play
Odd man rushes against
Positional play
Hockey sense

Like a depth dman who plays the PP, however i could surely see him going back to sweden.

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Bjaxn45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
Now they try everything they can to say he sucks....
lol I completley agree. Personally I've never been a huge fan but id say a good 70 percent of leafs fans on this board had a huge hard on for the guy.

Bjaxn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:00 PM
mapes

Strengths: Puckmoving, skating and keeping the puck inside the line

Weaknesses: Defence. He's a headache in that perspective.

He might be able to peak as a 2nd pairing defencemen in the NHL.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Personally I'd rather have kept him and given him more of a chance. And so should Burke, if their "build with youth" mantra was true.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:05 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

I've said this from the very beginning, Stralman is nowhere near the player most Leafs said he was 2 months ago. He's an average "prospect" really who has the potential for a fairly defined role, but if he does not develop into that role, he's basically useless. If that darn end to end rush he made a couple yrs back didn't happen, he would've been seen closer to a nobody then a Lidstrom.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

That Lidstrom comment is the most overblown thing ever. Since that happened, all Leaf fans apparently thought he would be Lidstrom. The fact the nobody really did didn't seem to matter.

Old
08-09-2009, 12:10 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
I've said this from the very beginning, Stralman is nowhere near the player most Leafs said he was 2 months ago. He's an average "prospect" really who has the potential for a fairly defined role, but if he does not develop into that role, he's basically useless. If that darn end to end rush he made a couple yrs back didn't happen, he would've been seen closer to a nobody then a Lidstrom.
The Lidstrom stuff was out well before then. He built his reputation as a top prospect in the SEL, not over here.

As for what he's about. He's one of the most fluid skaters in the league, and has a strong point shot. He is capable of making good passes, but his decision making is poor. He had a strong tendency to cheat positionally early in his career, it's gotten better, but it's still a weak spot in his game. Defensively, he seems eager to engage in battles, but prefers to his his stick instead of his body and it costs him. For a strong skater, he seems to lose an awful lot of edges during the play.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:17 PM
leafspring*

Never could care less about him. he just never was the type of d-man i like.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:21 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:

-2 with 13 points in 38 games playing in front of the worst goaltending in the league. The club only had 2 D in the plus column. In the AHL he had 16 points in 36 games and led all D there with a +5. Unless people are just saying he was extremely lucky all season in both leagues, I think the knocks against his play without the puck are kind of exaggerated. He has played well on the Swedish WC team. His upside is probably as a second pairing guy but he isn't done improving.

I think he has the skills without the body. If he were stronger and faster he could be a star. His upside is tied to whether he is one of those guys that has peaked at 22 or can continue to improve his physical tools over the next year or two.

People on this board crapped all over Ian White for the last two seasons too so I am not surprised Stralman is getting no love. If the club didn't have White and owned Stralmans rights for another year he wouldn't have been dealt.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:41 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
The Lidstrom stuff was out well before then. He built his reputation as a top prospect in the SEL, not over here.

As for what he's about. He's one of the most fluid skaters in the league, and has a strong point shot. He is capable of making good passes, but his decision making is poor. He had a strong tendency to cheat positionally early in his career, it's gotten better, but it's still a weak spot in his game. Defensively, he seems eager to engage in battles, but prefers to his his stick instead of his body and it costs him. For a strong skater, he seems to lose an awful lot of edges during the play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
-2 with 13 points in 38 games playing in front of the worst goaltending in the league. The club only had 2 D in the plus column. In the AHL he had 16 points in 36 games and led all D there with a +5. Unless people are just saying he was extremely lucky all season in both leagues, I think the knocks against his play without the puck are kind of exaggerated. He has played well on the Swedish WC team. His upside is probably as a second pairing guy but he isn't done improving.

I think he has the skills without the body. If he were stronger and faster he could be a star. His upside is tied to whether he is one of those guys that has peaked at 22 or can continue to improve his physical tools over the next year or two.

People on this board crapped all over Ian White for the last two seasons too so I am not surprised Stralman is getting no love. If the club didn't have White and owned Stralmans rights for another year he wouldn't have been dealt.
If the coach shows some confidence in him and gives him some minutes and allows him to make mistakes as he learns he should develop into a good to very good defender.

He never had a chance in Toronto with Ron Wilson, especially with the situation with the defenders. Schenn was NHL or junior, and they made a committment to Luke from the beginning.

If he can't get enough minutes in the NHL he'll likely return to the SEL or KHL and play top pairing there. I don't think he's has the style of game where'd have confidence as a 3rd. pairing defender.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:42 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post

I'm one who always stood up for whitey and took some flak about it,but i don't think comparing whitey,and anton is a good comparison. Whitey was never a whiner or showed a sense of entitlement like stralman.He has more heart,smaller but tougher,and is a all round better d-man imo anyways.

I definately wish stralman well but don't see it panning out for him.

Old
08-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Number13

He's got all the tools, if he could just get his head out of the clouds, he could maybe be a solid top four defenseman. I always got the feeling he had a sort of sense of unwarranted entitlement, if he can get over that, he could be a player for you guys. Overall, lots of skill, not very coachable with attitude problems.

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
He never had a chance in Toronto with Ron Wilson, especially with the situation with the defenders. Schenn was NHL or junior, and they made a committment to Luke from the beginning.
Schenn deserved everything he got. He earned it. I know you still struggle with that, but it's the truth.

Old
08-09-2009, 12:48 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Schenn deserved everything he got. He earned it. I know you still struggle with that, but it's the truth.
I agree Luke plays the defensive game well. Luke and Stralman are quite different, in that Luke's limited game is easy to employ. Zero offense, means he almost never tries to do anything besides play defense. Stralman's game is offensive, meaning he is more a risk taker.

I agree Luke earned his time, but it is because his game is so limited. I know people like to think of Luke as this franchise type defender, but they'll have to come to grips with the fact that his ceiling is 2nd. defender.

Over the past 45 years I've seen lots of Lukes playing for the Leafs.

Old
08-09-2009, 12:49 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
I'm one who always stood up for whitey and took some flak about it,but i don't think comparing whitey,and anton is a good comparison. Whitey was never a whiner or showed a sense of entitlement like stralman.He has more heart,smaller but tougher,and is a all round better d-man imo anyways.

I definately wish stralman well but don't see it panning out for him.
You must have missed his reaction to Maurice benching him then.

Old
08-09-2009, 01:02 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
You must have missed his reaction to Maurice benching him then.
I think that was a dislike for Maurice coming out,and you see how he reacted this past year though under Wilson letting him ride the pine for 10 games. Maurice is a bad memory for me. Talks the talk but couldn't walk the walk is Maurice. Whitey was to fiesty for Maurice's liking.

Not being happy about being benched is a good thing.

Old
08-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
I agree Luke plays the defensive game well. Luke and Stralman are quite different, in that Luke's limited game is easy to employ. Zero offense, means he almost never tries to do anything besides play defense. Stralman's game is offensive, meaning he is more a risk taker.

I agree Luke earned his time, but it is because his game is so limited. I know people like to think of Luke as this franchise type defender, but they'll have to come to grips with the fact that his ceiling is 2nd. defender.

Over the past 45 years I've seen lots of Lukes playing for the Leafs.

What people think he's a "franchise" defender? He'll be a top pairing guy who plays against the best the other team has to offer. I think he's already showed there's some offence to be tapped there. He's no Kaberle, but he's not Komisarek either.

Man, you are SO bitter with this kid. Why? Who is it you wanted to draft instead, just so I know?

Old
08-09-2009, 01:14 PM
RioBravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post

What people think he's a "franchise" defender? He'll be a top pairing guy who plays against the best the other team has to offer. I think he's already showed there's some offence to be tapped there. He's no Kaberle, but he's not Komisarek either.

Man, you are SO bitter with this kid. Why? Who is it you wanted to draft instead, just so I know?
Im not going to be one to point out the obvious (im just as big of a Schenn fan as anybody)...

But Filatovs looking pretty slick at the moment.

RioBravo is offline   Reply With Quote