HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chuck Kobasew

Old
08-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Piero

vCash: 500
Chuck Kobasew

What do you think about making an offer for Kobasew? Would give us 1 more legit top 6 winger. Bruins might be willing to move him to create space to resign Kessel. Kobasew is reasonably priced at 2.3 mil. Would Boston take one of our young defenseman for Kobasew? Would you trade a young d for Kobasew?

Piero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:15 PM
GAGLine

We currently have Gaborik, Drury, Callahan, Higgins, Dubinsky and Kotalik in our top 6. What does Kobasew provide that any of these players do not?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:28 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Not enough room. We would need to send salary back, which you're indicating wont happen because Boston wants to get more room to sign Kessel. We still need to resign Dubi to around the same amount. We've already made too many moves. I'm happy with the forwards we have so far, barring the possibility of that mystery #1 center everyone talks about being out there. No thanks.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:29 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piero View Post
What do you think about making an offer for Kobasew? Would give us 1 more legit top 6 winger. Bruins might be willing to move him to create space to resign Kessel. Kobasew is reasonably priced at 2.3 mil. Would Boston take one of our young defenseman for Kobasew? Would you trade a young d for Kobasew?
Yes, Sort of (more a top 9 guy), Possibly, Yes, Maybe, Yes definitely.

Honest hockey player. Would thrive under Tortarella.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We currently have Gaborik, Drury, Callahan, Higgins, Dubinsky and Kotalik in our top 6. What does Kobasew provide that any of these players do not?
and Anisimov and Lisin who we would love to step up plus Avery

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Kobasew is a guy I think the B's will trade to make cap space for Kessel. I'm not sure where he fits on the Rangers' RW depth chart though. There's already Gaborik, Callahan, and Kotalik there and all of them were just signed (or re-signed). Then there's the whole pesky salary cap business. If the B's trade him, it will likely ONLY be as a salary dump.

I would miss him if he gets traded, but I wouldn't mind him on the Rangers since I still catch as many Rangers games as I can.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Im not sold with Lisin in the top 9, so I'd be open to acquiring one more forward, preferably a playmaker. The answer is not Chuck Kobasew, however.

Besides, even with my reservations about Lisin, this forward core could probably get the job done as constructed. Im more concerned about getting a veteran d-man in here to sure up the defense.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:54 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
Not enough room. We would need to send salary back, which you're indicating wont happen because Boston wants to get more room to sign Kessel. We still need to resign Dubi to around the same amount. We've already made too many moves. I'm happy with the forwards we have so far, barring the possibility of that mystery #1 center everyone talks about being out there. No thanks.
Actually there is room. Assuming Dubinsky come in somewhere around $1.5MM it leaves about $2.5MM to pick up another forward. Any defensive signing (Schneider, please) would cancel out a salary already slotted in. Chuckie is signed for 2 more years at a reasonable $2.3MM. After thinking about this I'm guessing he is probably not available anyway because his contract is so reasonable. I do share your concern about too many moves but this would likely be adding a piuece at the cost of a non NHL player (Sanguinetti?)

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Piero

Kobasew

Everyone talks about the top 6 being set. The top 9 being set. Are we assuming that we go through the season without a single injury? Lisin was scratched half the time on one of the 5 worst teams in the whole league. Now, all of sudden he is a sure thing?

You need top talent to win, but you also need depth. I would love to see a center/left wing (that would be a better fit), but I don't see any available. Who else would fit?

Prospal makes sense because he could be had cheap, is left handed, plays center or wing, but I don't see him as a Torts guy. They had many run ins in TB. If Tanguay would come in for 2 mill for 1 or 2 years I would jump on him, but I think he will get more than that.

As for the cap issue the numbers work. Even with Dubinsky, Gilroy and 2 more defensemen we could fit Kobasew.

I agree about a veteran D. In another thread I posted that I thought Ossi Vannanen would be a nice pick up. Unlike most on this board I am more concerned with a crease clearer for the bottom 6 than a PP QB.

Old
08-07-2009, 01:31 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Actually there is room. Assuming Dubinsky come in somewhere around $1.5MM it leaves about $2.5MM to pick up another forward. Any defensive signing (Schneider, please) would cancel out a salary already slotted in. Chuckie is signed for 2 more years at a reasonable $2.3MM. After thinking about this I'm guessing he is probably not available anyway because his contract is so reasonable. I do share your concern about too many moves but this would likely be adding a piuece at the cost of a non NHL player (Sanguinetti?)
I think Dubinsky will get more than 1.5, more along the lines of Cally's contract, just speculation. This reverses your numbers, and leaves around 1.7 left. That means giving Boston salary in order to take on Kobe, which is the opposite of what they want. I feel this wont work for mutually for both sides as both would need to shed salary.

Old
08-07-2009, 01:37 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Everyone talks about the top 6 being set. The top 9 being set. Are we assuming that we go through the season without a single injury? Lisin was scratched half the time on one of the 5 worst teams in the whole league. Now, all of sudden he is a sure thing?

You need top talent to win, but you also need depth. I would love to see a center/left wing (that would be a better fit), but I don't see any available. Who else would fit?

Prospal makes sense because he could be had cheap, is left handed, plays center or wing, but I don't see him as a Torts guy. They had many run ins in TB. If Tanguay would come in for 2 mill for 1 or 2 years I would jump on him, but I think he will get more than that.

As for the cap issue the numbers work. Even with Dubinsky, Gilroy and 2 more defensemen we could fit Kobasew.

I agree about a veteran D. In another thread I posted that I thought Ossi Vannanen would be a nice pick up. Unlike most on this board I am more concerned with a crease clearer for the bottom 6 than a PP QB.
Depth is good and all, but where is everyone going to play while everyone's healthy?? That means putting Avery or Lisin on the 4th line, which just isn't going to happen. If a major injury setback happens, then see if you can make moves. But as for depth, players like Voros and Arnason are here for a reason. Capable players who will play in case of an emergency.

Plus, I think Dubi is going to get more than 2 mil. Should at least. So what contract do we give Boston to make room for Chuck when they cant take any salary?? Would having Kobe be nice, absolutely. I just don't think currently it will work out.

Old
08-07-2009, 01:39 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

The reason Lisin was benched was because Gretzky has no clue what he is doing. Not because his play was bad. They also had 3 players sitting at any one time after they traded for Dawes, Prucha and Upshall.

It's all good to say you can go out and grab a Prospal and for him or someone else to sit for extended perods of time when healthy. There are a lot of players who dont take well to being benched for 5-10 games. Would you bench Avery? Kotalik? Callahan? Higgins? Gaborik? Lisin? I guess the only possibility there is Lisin and I wouldnt want to sit him for an extended period of time. Its like benching Korpikoski last year, utterly dumb because the kid needs to play in order to get better.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
The reason Lisin was benched was because Gretzky has no clue what he is doing. Not because his play was bad. They also had 3 players sitting at any one time after they traded for Dawes, Prucha and Upshall.

It's all good to say you can go out and grab a Prospal and for him or someone else to sit for extended perods of time when healthy. There are a lot of players who dont take well to being benched for 5-10 games. Would you bench Avery? Kotalik? Callahan? Higgins? Gaborik? Lisin? I guess the only possibility there is Lisin and I wouldnt want to sit him for an extended period of time. Its like benching Korpikoski last year, utterly dumb because the kid needs to play in order to get better.
The reason Lisin was benched is because he needs a map to find the defensive zone.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:32 PM
frankthefrowner

I dont want to hear about anotehr forward being signed until Brandon Dubinsky has his name on a contract.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Piero

Dubinsky and the Roster

I disagree with Dubinsky's numbers. I don't think he will get 2 mill. I am not saying he isn't worth it. Just that they don't need to give him that now. He is not in the same position as Cally. He hasn't reached arbitration eligibility yet.

Its the same idea as Staal. He may be our lowest paid defensemen this season. Its just the way things work with the structure of the CBA. No reason to overpay when you don't have to.

As for the numbers game regarding our forwards. Its not that hard to deal with. There is no such thing as too much talent on a team. Take a look at Detroit's roster.

Here is what I think our forward lines look like now:
Higgins-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Callahan-Drury-Kotalik
Avery-Anisimov-Lisin
Brashear-Boyle-Byers
13th Voros

If we could find another top 6 player it would look something like this.
FreeAgent/Trade-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Higgins-Drury-Callahan
Lisin-Avery-Kotalik
Brashear-Anisimov-Byers/Boyle

Old
08-07-2009, 02:53 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
If we could find another top 6 player it would look something like this.
FreeAgent/Trade-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Higgins-Drury-Callahan
Lisin-Avery-Kotalik
Brashear-Anisimov-Byers/Boyle
But there's the problem. Do you want a 21 year old playing limited minutes as 4th line center? I sure don't. Anisimov has to be in the top 9, which then begs the question, who do you push down to the 4th line or into the press box?

Lisin is the same situation, only worse, as he has no business on a 4th line as he isn't defensively responsible and he isn't a hitter.

The only options would be to send Lisin or Anisimov to Hartford. Sticking Anisimov back in the AHL at this point would stunt his development, and ouir 3rd line would lack a true center (Avery is not a center).

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Gigantic pass for me. I'm totally content with our forwards. If we're bringing anyone else in it needs to be a CLEAR upgrade for the top 6. Depth is nice, but Kobasew at $2.3 is overkill.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 03:50 AM
darko

Nope, we dont need anymore wingers...

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 09:34 AM
SkerZ
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
I dont want to hear about anotehr forward being signed until Brandon Dubinsky has his name on a contract.
There we go someone else who is on the same page...we don't need to sign anymore top six guys we have enough and will see what the lines look like come seasons start I wouldn't pencil anyone in any spot just yet torts is going to suprise us with the combos....enough trade/signing proposals untill Dubi is locked in

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote