HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts = the difference

Old
08-07-2009, 09:53 AM
rangerjoe

vCash: 500
Torts = the difference

Here's the main reason I have 100% more confidence in this team going into the next several seasons - it's Tort's team. The team under Renney was constructed solely by Sather, but with Torts now the coach, he's going to mold this team quickly into his type of team.

Zherdev didn't have a chance of sticking around under Torts, even if he was awarded $5, but I could have seen him continue playing under Renney. Gomez is gone, replaced with a sniper and a two-way play in Higgins. Not sure if Rosy and Redden would still be here if their contracts were lighter, but we'll see how they pan out. Only surprises from the offer season is letting Betts walk and not re-signing Mara for a year or two, he's been steady. Guess they want more puck-moving defensemen.

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:54 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

You don't think Renney had a large say on who was signed, traded for, and drafted?

but yes, I think the offseason moves which were made to reflect Tortorella's style should make this team a much more fun and hopefully better team to watch this season.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:08 AM
TheHotRock

i really wish renney would've stuck around in a front office role. he would've made a great gm at some point.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Talk talk talk talk talk.....

Shut up and do it, i'm sick of hearing 'when Torts gets here blah blah blah'

Proof=pudding

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Torts is going to have to sell me. I know he won a cup in Tampa Bay, but that means very little now to me as a Ranger fan.

The phrase that sticks out most to me during Torts' tenure here so far is "double-standard."

He wants to play the disciplinarian (dont walk on the Rangers logo in the lockerroom/benching Avery in the playoffs), but this is the same guy that went crazy on a fan and got himself suspended for a playoff game.

But, I have an open mind. I hope he does well here.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Torts is going to have to sell me. I know he won a cup in Tampa Bay, but that means very little now to me as a Ranger fan.

The phrase that sticks out most to me during Torts' tenure here so far is "double-standard."

He wants to play the disciplinarian (dont walk on the Rangers logo in the lockerroom/benching Avery in the playoffs), but this is the same guy that went crazy on a fan and got himself suspended for a playoff game.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
TheRedressor

Can we rename this thread

The Summer of Torts

Seriously every thread has Torts turning water into wine with each player/prospect in this organization. We need to cool it with the Torts Koolaid.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:27 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I'm confident he'll make this a better team, but I'm not gonna dump on Tom Renney (I did enough of that when he was our head coach).

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:31 AM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Talk talk talk talk talk.....

Shut up and do it, i'm sick of hearing 'when Torts gets here blah blah blah'

Proof=pudding
Ironically this sounds like something torts would say...

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I'm confident he'll make this a better team, but I'm not gonna dump on Tom Renney (I did enough of that when he was our head coach).
Something tells me a lot of fans will be missing the cerebral approach of Tom Renney by season's end.

Is it too much to ask to find a happy median between Renney's classiness and Torts' feistiness?

Old
08-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Something tells me a lot of fans will be missing the cerebral approach of Tom Renney by season's end.

Is it too much to ask to find a happy median between Renney's classiness and Torts' feistiness?
I think Adam Graves would make a phenomenal coach. Classy enough and at the same time do not think he would have a defense first style of hockey.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:46 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
I was a Peter Laviolette advocate.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I was a Peter Laviolette advocate.
We'll see what happens when Torts inevitably burns out in NY, and Sather makes him the next fall guy.

Old
08-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
Ironically this sounds like something torts would say...
Both fiery Italians

Seriously, Torts is getting 'his' players, if he can't get it to work this is gonna be a short hooneymoon.....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:57 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe View Post
Here's the main reason I have 100% more confidence in this team going into the next several seasons - it's Tort's team. The team under Renney was constructed solely by Sather, but with Torts now the coach, he's going to mold this team quickly into his type of team.

Zherdev didn't have a chance of sticking around under Torts, even if he was awarded $5, but I could have seen him continue playing under Renney. Gomez is gone, replaced with a sniper and a two-way play in Higgins. Not sure if Rosy and Redden would still be here if their contracts were lighter, but we'll see how they pan out. Only surprises from the offer season is letting Betts walk and not re-signing Mara for a year or two, he's been steady. Guess they want more puck-moving defensemen.
Right, Renney had zero input into the composition of the roster... Come on, man.

As far as Torts--we'll see. I've been around long enough to have seen all of my teams bring in great coaches who pump up the fan base, bring in their own guys, etc, only to fizzle out. I truly hope Tortorella is "the one" for us, but only time will tell. I'm no more optimistic than normal.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Right, Renney had zero input into the composition of the roster... Come on, man.

As far as Torts--we'll see. I've been around long enough to have seen all of my teams bring in great coaches who pump up the fan base, bring in their own guys, etc, only to fizzle out. I truly hope Tortorella is "the one" for us, but only time will tell. I'm no more optimistic than normal.
Renney had the input, I dont have any doubt about that, but how much pressure did he really exude on management? I can see him being a yes-man more than anything.

"Hey Tom, we're gonna give you a 35 year old Markus Naslund and a headcase Russian as your top wings this season"

"Oh sure, sounds great Glen!"

Old
08-07-2009, 11:13 AM
chosen

Fans love of Torts is classic the grass is always greener nonsense.

After he's here for a while I'd bet any amount that there will be multiple threads calling for his firing. If there are any takers, let me know and no I won't start those threads.

Hell, if they lose the first two games of the season, some idiots will be calling for his head.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 11:14 AM
chosen

Quote:
Renney had the input, I dont have any doubt about that, but how much pressure did he really exude on management? I can see him being a yes-man more than anything.

"Hey Tom, we're gonna give you a 35 year old Markus Naslund and a headcase Russian as your top wings this season"

"Oh sure, sounds great Glen!"
How can you have an opinion about how Renney spoke to Sather in private? What do you base it upon? Because he was reserved with the press?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
How can you have an opinion about how Renney spoke to Sather in private? What do you base it upon? Because he was reserved with the press?
Its called sociology.

Do you expect me to believe that Renney was a perfect gentleman to the press and about everyone he came in contact with publicly, but behind closed doors he rained fire and brimstone upon Sather and the rest of upper management?

Old
08-07-2009, 11:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Its called sociology.

Do you expect me to believe that Renney was a perfect gentleman to the press and about everyone he came in contact with publicly, but behind closed doors he rained fire and brimstone upon Sather and the rest of upper management?
It doesn't have to be one or the other though. You can be firm and stick to your guns without "raining fire and brimstone." I don't follow other teams well enough to provide NHL examples, but I know plenty of people in day to day life and the business world that are cool, calm, and collected in public but hard-***** behind closed doors. It's actually fairly common for people in positions of power from my experience.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It doesn't have to be one or the other though. You can be firm and stick to your guns without "raining fire and brimstone." I don't follow other teams well enough to provide NHL examples, but I know plenty of people in day to day life and the business world that are cool, calm, and collected in public but hard-***** behind closed doors. It's actually fairly common for people in positions of power from my experience.
Understandable, again, that was just my opinion...Im not trying to pass it along as fact.

I just find it hard to believe that the GM AND the coach both signed off on the atrocious roster we fielded to begin last season with no reservations.

Old
08-07-2009, 12:03 PM
ThirdEye

Torts hasn't been here enough to judge him. Ok, maybe he has... but I would like to see a full season.

In my opinion those people who think Tortorella is overrated also overrated Renney and vice versa. Both coaches have numerous strengths and weaknesses

I noticed that on this forum you see opinions leaning toward each end of spectrum and almost nothing in between.

By the way, I have a tendency to do the same thing

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:06 PM
asparkoflife

I think Torts will certainly bring a more "entertaining" brand of Hockey to the Rangers. Whether that will amount to a successful season...jury is out. But I think it was time for a change from Renney. As it will be from Tortorella down the line. This is the coaching cycle haha

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:06 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

OMG can Ranger fans just get over it already? It was a god damn water bottle... Big freakin' deal... He lost his temper and make a mistake and was embarrassed and appologized... Big deal, time to move on.... Does anyone actually think the players are in the lockerroom second guessing everything Tortorella says because in the back of their mind all they're thinking about is the water bottle incident? Lets get serious here...

I love how the guy tosses a plastic water bottle and suddenly it's his Achilles heal and the standard by which he should be judged...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:17 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

SHOW ME!!!

I'll be more than happy to jump aboard "The Good Ship Tortorella" when and if.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote