HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Leblanc or Schroeder?

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Kman777

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Do you really expect a team to draft someone and then go" Yeah, we think he's going to be a bust"

Everyone knows, had Montréal drafted anyone else with Leblanc still available that player would be boo'd
Give me a ****ing break. That is complete BS. The only precedent we can go back to is McDonagh/Esposito and McDonagh was not booed.

Old
08-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman777 View Post
Give me a ****ing break. That is complete BS. The only precedent we can go back to is McDonagh/Esposito and McDonagh was not booed.
Thing is, the draft wasn't in Montreal.

Old
08-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
Leblanc = Mike Richards
Schroeder = Zach Parise

Take your pick.
I pick both, so hah.

Old
08-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Oleg Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
Leblanc = Mike Richards
Schroeder = Zach Parise

Take your pick.
More like:

Leblanc = Eric Chouinard
Schroeder = Rico Fata

Old
08-07-2009, 04:14 PM
carlweezer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post
I'll take Leblanc. Impressive during the U-18 and had very nice season numbers in the USHL for his 1st year compared to guys like Sam Gagner, David Backes, Blake Wheeler and Paul Stastny.

Schroeder was really disappointing with Team USA when I saw him play, he seems to lack effort and his breakaway move was shameful.
Thought at this stage, I didn't saw much of both, after this season we will have a better idea.

Yeah Schroeder was garbage in the WHJC...he shouldnt have even been drafted in the first round! He is too small, I was so disappointed with him this season having only led TEAM USA in scoring in the WHJC and making the 1st team tournament all-stars and winning freshman of the year in the NCAA as someone that was still suppose to be in grade 12. Pffftt but what else has he done?

ahaha but in all seriousness this shouldnt even be a comparison...Leblanc obviously has other things in mind because he has chosen to go to Harvard which will stunt his hockey development progress. Schroeder is playing at U of M, one of the best programs in the states.also he is competing against men who are in their 20's.

I dont doubt Leblanc has skills but for that one poster to compare him to Mike Richards almost made me vomit my lunch, but its quite obvious Habs fans here will choose LEblanc over Schroeder, they cant afford any more midgets on their team.

Old
08-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlweezer View Post
I dont doubt Leblanc has skills but for that one poster to compare him to Mike Richards almost made me vomit my lunch, but its quite obvious Habs fans here will choose LEblanc over Schroeder, they cant afford any more midgets on their team.
Quote:
17. LOUIS LEBLANC
Player Profile
Omaha (USHL)
POS: C SH: R
DOB: 1/26/91 HT/WT: 6-0/178
Style: Mike Richards

Scouting Report
NHL Central Scouting's Jack Barzee: "The most impressive things about Louis LeBlanc are his hands and his evasiveness with the puck; that separates him from other players on the ice right away. He needs to fill out a little bit yet, but he has the frame to be a big center. The other part of LeBlanc's game that I noticed was his vision; his ability to see and dissect a play and to make the right play. He's also very competitive and he gets involved in the play."
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?fid=11891

Quote:
TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, widely regarded as the media's foremost draft expert, has covered every NHL Draft since 1980 and his annual TSN rankings are considered the most accurate indicator of how the draft will unfold. In the last five years, McKenzie was 125 of 150 in terms of projecting first rounders (83 percent).

In 2008, 27 of his top 30 prospects were first-round picks; in 2007 it was 24 of 30; 25 of 30 in 2006; 23 of 30 in 2005 and 26 of 30 in 2004. Last year, of the 30 prospects ranked by TSN as first rounders, 27 were actually chosen in the first round.

This is not a prediction of which team will take which prospect. In fact, when TSN puts its rankings together it doesn't even take into account the order of selection at the draft. It is a ranking based on consensus opinion from 10 NHL scouts surveyed by McKenzie, who has been using the same process and formula for draft rankings since he originated The Hockey News Draft Preview in 1984, over 25 years ago.

And neither is it the personal or subjective opinion of McKenzie, who instead relies on the combined expertise of the scouts surveyed to calculate where prospects should be slotted on consensus from Nos. 1 through 60. Historically, it has been a good barometer of which players will be chosen in the first round.

In addition to TSN's ranking (TSN), others were listed for comparison, including NHL Central Scouting (CS), International Scouting Service (ISS), Red Line Report (RLR), McKeen's (McK) and The Hockey News (THN). The CSB rankings are displayed as one of four different lists; North American Skaters (NAS), European Skaters (ES), North American Goalies (NAG) and European Goalies (EG). TSN has also listed a Style so fans have a reference for the style of game each prospect plays. Comparing, for example, Tavares to Hawerchuk is not to suggest the former will score 1,409 points. It's just to suggest that Tavares plays the game a lot like Hawerchuk did.

Last edited by Majik1987: 08-07-2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: flaming
Old
08-07-2009, 04:44 PM
carlweezer*

"Style of play" is for Tsn to dumb it down to uneducated fans who don't do their own scouting....I'm not suggesting that you are one of those fans that go oooh Louis Leblanc, TSN says he plays like Mike Richards..I like him!! but i've seen Louis Leblanc play about 10 times..and there is no way he is comparable to mike richards..none whatsoever...aside from skills, Richards brings entangibles to a team such as leadership.

So like I said Louis Leblanc is good, but Harvard? seriously?

Old
08-07-2009, 04:46 PM
jeff88_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
ISS had him 12th

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11679

what's your point?

habs haters are very annoying.
I was a habs fan before they chose Leblanc over Schroeder if you want to know

Old
08-07-2009, 04:47 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post
More like:

Leblanc = Eric Chouinard
Schroeder = Rico Fata
That's a better comparison

Old
08-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlweezer View Post
"Style of play" is for Tsn to dumb it down to uneducated fans who don't do their own scouting....I'm not suggesting that you are one of those fans that go oooh Louis Leblanc, TSN says he plays like Mike Richards..I like him!! but i've seen Louis Leblanc play about 10 times..and there is no way he is comparable to mike richards..none whatsoever...aside from skills, Richards brings entangibles to a team such as leadership.

So like I said Louis Leblanc is good, but Harvard? seriously?
I've seen Leblanc play a lot also.

No way comparable? You mean, an all effort guy, good forechecker, plays well in 3 zones, has good offensive upside (being a bit global, but whatever)? With soft hands and good vision? Ok, he doesn't have the cannon point shot.

I prefer the Gagné comparison personally. A complete forward, with a good goal-scoring instinct. But I fail to see how the Mike Richards comparison is farfetched.

Old
08-07-2009, 04:56 PM
jeff88_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Thing is, the draft wasn't in Montreal.
The draft WAS in montreal

Old
08-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88_5 View Post
So Montreal had the 2007 AND the 2009 draft, damn they're lucky.

Old
08-07-2009, 05:01 PM
JL4L

Send a message via MSN to JL4L
Quote:
Yeah man, I don't like reading either!

Old
08-07-2009, 05:01 PM
jeff88_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman777 View Post
First of all, that didn't happen in Montreal.

Second, even RDS's retarded annoucers felt the crowd would have been extremly angry if they didn't take Leblanc.

Did you watch the draft? It was an absolute joke with all the fans sreaming "Leblanc Leblanc Leblanc ! ! !"

Old
08-07-2009, 05:06 PM
jeff88_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
So Montreal had the 2007 AND the 2009 draft, damn they're lucky.
I was talking about 2009 draft.

THE draft refers to 2009, THAT draft refers to 2007, but maybe it's just me. The original poster was talking about another player than Leblanc being booed in Montreal in 09, which was quoted by the poster I quoted.

Old
08-07-2009, 05:07 PM
carlweezer*

i dont get it either

Old
08-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post
More like:

Leblanc = Eric Chouinard
Schroeder = Rico Fata
I agree 100% on Leblancs comparison. He will be lucky to reach Chouinards level though.

Old
08-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Honestly, do you really believe that LeBlanc would have gone at 18 if he wasn't from Quebec and/or if Montreal wasn't picking there?
he's the first quebecer to go in the first round to Montreal in 11 years. If Montreal really did feel pressured to take a guy from Quebec, Angelo Esposito would have been drafted in 2007.

Old
08-07-2009, 05:13 PM
chickenman92

kinda like asking who you want, gagne or kane? both great but i'd take kane i think

Old
08-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

Second, even RDS's retarded annoucers felt the crowd would have been extremly angry if they didn't take Leblanc.

Did you watch the draft? It was an absolute joke with all the fans sreaming "Leblanc Leblanc Leblanc ! ! !"
they were actually cheering "Louis"

Old
08-07-2009, 05:19 PM
RobsonStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post
He outscored in his USHL rookie years players like Sam Gagne, Blake Wheeler, Stastny, etc etc.

Leblanc won't be a 80-90pts player in the NHL, but if he can bring 60-70ts with 2-way aplomb + his right shot, all habs fans will like it.
To be fair, all those players had different paths through the USHL: IIRC, Leblanc and Wheeler's rookie USHL seasons were in their draft years (~18*), Gagner's was a year before (~17), Stastny's was two years before (~16). Age is a huge factor - though given your projection for Leblanc, I think you get that he's not projected like a Stastny or Gagner offensively.

* "draft age", not actual age in months.

Old
08-07-2009, 05:24 PM
MXD

Quote:
I was talking about 2009 draft.

THE draft refers to 2009, THAT draft refers to 2007, but maybe it's just me. The original poster was talking about another player than Leblanc being booed in Montreal in 09, which was quoted by the poster I quoted.
David Wilkie was actually booed in 1993, if my memory serves me right. I mean, that was the last time the draft was held in Montreal.

Old
08-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Kman777

Quote:

#1 - It doesn't matter, fans are/were confused, but not angry that we didn't select Esposito. None of us were that mad about it.

#2 - There's always a few stupid people like the crew at RDS that put way too much value on nationality, but in our fanbase they are the minority, generally our fans respond quite well to Gainey's unorthodox methods. And it wouldn't have been so strange for Gainey to select a non French player anyway because that's what he usually does.

#3 - Who cares? There's nothing unreasonable about getting excited about a hometown kid being selected.

There's nothing to indicate the crowd would have reacted unfavorably to Gainey selecting Kassian, Holland, or Schroeder.

Old
08-07-2009, 05:55 PM
SethJonestownMassacr

My question was, if you were building a team based on your preferred style of play, which would you pick for the team you were building?

Old
08-07-2009, 06:25 PM
babybruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
Just to clarify, I am not asking who will be better, but who you personally would take.
I was pretty pleased when the Canucks got Schroeder, and had thought it would be nice if they traded up should he fall a bit. So Ill have to go with Schroeder

Closed Thread