HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikita Filatov

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2009, 12:12 AM
CavsandJax21

vCash: 500
Yeah, don't forget Filatov saw ice just months after he was drafted. Outside of the first pick, you rarely ever see that happen. A year of strength training and growth should help him tremendously. Not only are we getting Filatov, but we are essentially getting a stronger Brassard, the potential Calder winner if he didn't hurt himself. All these top picks made in the last couple of years are now starting to come into the fold, at the lever they're expected to be at.

Old
08-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Doug19

I've never been more excited about a prospect like I have about Filatov. He might turn out to be our first rookie phenom.

Old
08-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
I've never been more excited about a prospect like I have about Filatov. He might turn out to be our first rookie phenom.
Yeah, I can't believe that hack Mason won the Calder.

Old
08-09-2009, 08:45 AM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post

Old
08-09-2009, 09:59 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:

Brule would have won it if it hadn't been for XGMDM.

Old
08-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Doug19

Quote:

I meant offensively, but it's easy to forget Mason was a rookie because he was just so darn good and wise beyond his years.

Old
08-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
I meant offensively, but it's easy to forget Mason was a rookie because he was just so darn good and wise beyond his years.
Hehe I know what you meant. I'm still not sure about him though. He oozes skill, but the fact that he's not the biggest guy on the ice really makes me think it will hurt his chances with Hitch. Heck the size thing is a bigger threat to him than the fact that he's a rookie, which is a shame because Juice is maybe a biscuit heavier than Nik. I don't fully believe in the "Hitch hates rookies" mantra, because as we saw with Brass and Jake, he's not opposed to giving rooks enough ice time to produce. The thing with Nik is just that they don't want him to get his head taken off, so that will affect how much he plays.

Old
08-09-2009, 03:02 PM
End of Line
Human After All

I'd like to see him play on the second line with vermette/voracek. Then have Umberger play on the third.

Old
08-09-2009, 03:17 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrosbyShow91 View Post
I'd like to see him play on the second line with vermette/voracek. Then have Umberger play on the third.
Torres-Pahlsson-Umberger would be the best checking line in the league... but yes, I would like to see that too...

I feel like we'll see lines 2,3, and 4 used interchangeably in games we are not matched up against a team with one dynamic line, especially if Brassard is not ready for top line duty right away.

Modin - Vermette - Filatov
Torres - Pahlsson - Voracek
Umberger - Brassard - Dorsett

or something to that effect, spreading out the young guys...

Old
08-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachWithNoTeam View Post
Torres-Pahlsson-Umberger would be the best checking line in the league... but yes, I would like to see that too...

I feel like we'll see lines 2,3, and 4 used interchangeably in games we are not matched up against a team with one dynamic line, especially if Brassard is not ready for top line duty right away.

It will be interesting watching the lines evolve, but I cant see Brass not ready for 1st line duty.

Old
08-09-2009, 03:30 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
It will be interesting watching the lines evolve, but I cant see Brass not ready for 1st line duty.
Well, yeah... but Brassard was far and away our best center during training camp last year and hitch said it would be "unfair" to put him with Nash... I'm just saying, its a definite possibility.

Old
08-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Coluejack

Quote:

How does that line combo make sense? And who is playing top line center with Nash and huselius?

It would be a waste to have Filatov playing with anyone below the second line. One of the great things about playing extremely talented (but raw) rookies with goal scorers is that typically the talent filters through them. Playing Filatov with scrubs like Murray and Novot would just be a waste of his development.

Also, putting Modin on anything other than the 4th line this year will be a mistake. The Jackets are entirely too deep for his level of garbage.

Old
08-10-2009, 08:42 AM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fury View Post
How does that line combo make sense? And who is playing top line center with Nash and huselius?

It would be a waste to have Filatov playing with anyone below the second line. One of the great things about playing extremely talented (but raw) rookies with goal scorers is that typically the talent filters through them. Playing Filatov with scrubs like Murray and Novot would just be a waste of his development.

Also, putting Modin on anything other than the 4th line this year will be a mistake. The Jackets are entirely too deep for his level of garbage.
Agree.

Modin on the same line as Filatov? Let's hope that doesn't happen. We've got to get Filatov with some creative dynamic players.... I think with the right line he could be a monster this year.

That being said, I guess we'll all just wait for training camp and see how it shakes out.

Old
08-10-2009, 08:58 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
Agree.

Modin on the same line as Filatov? Let's hope that doesn't happen. We've got to get Filatov with some creative dynamic players.... I think with the right line he could be a monster this year.

That being said, I guess we'll all just wait for training camp and see how it shakes out.
Modin would be a good linemate for Filatov...the kid is light as a feather and you need someone out there who can help create space for him. This kid needs time to get used the NHL game and having him out there with a couple more lightweights would be a disaster.

Would Modin be the only good candidate for him? No, but he would be a good one (considering he is healthy and could keep up). So would RJ and Pahlsson, but if Hitch is going to have a true checking line, I would think he would try to put Modin and Pahlsson together along with maybe Jake and play Filatov up with RJ and Vermette.

We have too many forwards...

Old
08-10-2009, 11:43 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

How much can we count on out of Modin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Modin would be a good linemate for Filatov...the kid is light as a feather and you need someone out there who can help create space for him. This kid needs time to get used the NHL game and having him out there with a couple more lightweights would be a disaster.

Would Modin be the only good candidate for him? No, but he would be a good one (considering he is healthy and could keep up). So would RJ and Pahlsson, but if Hitch is going to have a true checking line, I would think he would try to put Modin and Pahlsson together along with maybe Jake and play Filatov up with RJ and Vermette.

We have too many forwards...
Do you have any insight here, or should I say inside scoop? He just hasn't been dependable since the lockout health wise. I recently listened to the Ning cup run on Sirius and Modin was a monster in those playoffs. I a want that guy back,, not the injury after injury player we have had.

Nash Brass Juice
Filatov Vermy Jake
Umby Paulson Torres
Chimmy Murray Modin

Dorsett/ Boll/ Picard/ Blunden...

best 3rd line in Hockey and the Jackets will be incredibly better for it when your 3rd line can shut down and score in transition you become very dangerous

Old
08-10-2009, 11:52 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
Do you have any insight here, or should I say inside scoop? He just hasn't been dependable since the lockout health wise.
Nah, I am just being optimistic. I think Modin's future with the jackets rests fully on how his camp is. If he is slower or substandard, it wouldn't surprise me to see him waived.

To this point, however, I have been given no indication that he is unhealthy so I am hopeful. If he is, he and Pahlsson have played together in multiple international competitions, and like you said, Modin is a very good player when, well...he can play.

I like RJ with Pahlsson too, but I am not convinced of Torres in that type of role yet. His play is quite erratic and I don't fully trust him to be responsible defensively. A PITA to play against and do the opposition have to keep their heads up? Absolutely, but I just don't trust him yet. It is usually the year AFTER the guy recovers from acl surgery where he gets his game on track so I am optimistic that Torres will have a better year for us as well.

Quote:
Nash Brass Juice
Filatov Vermy Jake
Umby Paulson Torres
Chimmy Murray Modin

Dorsett/ Boll/ Picard/ Blunden...
They are talking about using Dorsett as a center on that 4th line--I prefer him to Murray as I feel like he brings more to the team in terms of energy and emotion. I like Murray, but he can be a bit 'vanilla'. If Picard makes it, I like Dorsett-Picard-Boll as a 4th liner.

Camp will be fun to watch this year. Lots of similar forwards fighting for those bottom spots.

Old
08-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
Agree.

Modin on the same line as Filatov? Let's hope that doesn't happen.
Are you kidding me? Last year Modin and Filatov were freaking awesome together. I remember a lot of talk (at least in livechat) about how Modin seemed revitalized playing with the kid.

I'd love to see them reunited, if only to make sure that that wasn't a fluke.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
08-10-2009, 12:03 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Are you kidding me? Last year Modin and Filatov were freaking awesome together. I remember a lot of talk (at least in livechat) about how Modin seemed revitalized playing with the kid.

I was talking to a former hockey player of the time that he played towards the end of his career.

He said that he was on a line with two kids and they were his 'legs'. It rejuvinated him and he just loved playing with them.

Last edited by hashmarks: 08-10-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: possible one of the worst sentences every constructed.
Old
08-10-2009, 04:29 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

thanks Filatov scored his first goal playing with Modin and Murray. I think he will see a lot of time with either Modin or Torres (or possibly Chimera if he's still here) and our 4th line center, if things shake out the way they are expected. Our top six has been debated and seems pretty much set, and if the Pahlsson line is a shut down line, he wont be there.

Old
08-10-2009, 07:18 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
thanks Filatov scored his first goal playing with Modin and Murray. I think he will see a lot of time with either Modin or Torres (or possibly Chimera if he's still here) and our 4th line center, if things shake out the way they are expected. Our top six has been debated and seems pretty much set, and if the Pahlsson line is a shut down line, he wont be there.
You may be right, for the first week of the season. No way Filatov stays on the 4th line. He is way better offensively than Voracek, and Voracek was in the top 6 for most of the second part of the year. Filatov at this point in his career is a goal scorer. We have quite a few players that can be used in the 3rd and 4th lines to play a defensive minded game. As far as pure goal scorers, from what I have seen in limited playing time, I would put Filatov right behind Nash. With Filatov being a more natural sniper!

Old
08-10-2009, 07:30 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes1 View Post
You may be right, for the first week of the season. No way Filatov stays on the 4th line. He is way better offensively than Voracek, and Voracek was in the top 6 for most of the second part of the year. Filatov at this point in his career is a goal scorer. We have quite a few players that can be used in the 3rd and 4th lines to play a defensive minded game. As far as pure goal scorers, from what I have seen in limited playing time, I would put Filatov right behind Nash. With Filatov being a more natural sniper!
Just curious: who, other than RJ (and of course Nash) can be relied upon to play with Pahlsson to check?

Old
08-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Monk

Quote:
Just curious: who, other than RJ (and of course Nash) can be relied upon to play with Pahlsson to check?
Definitely Torres

Old
08-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Matt

Quote:
Jake

Old
08-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Monk

Chimera/Modin if need be

Old
08-10-2009, 09:23 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Definitely Torres
'Check' does not mean 'hit'.

Definitely NOT Torres.

Chimera from the redline forward, not from the redline back. Modin. Murray is okay. We certainly don't have several players who can check effectively.

Closed Thread