HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikita Filatov

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-27-2009, 01:13 PM
  #76
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
You got to love his comment in the very last question. It should basically put all the Filatov to the KHL talk to bed for a while:
It should have been already. It wasn't like he said he wasn't coming to camp. If he doesn't make the club and is down in the AHL all year, then maybe you look at revisiting the topic.

Quote:
So we want the cup and Nikki wants to win one too. Everyone seems to be on the same page.
I am tired of hearing him talk. At least as it relates to what his dream and life plans are. He's not that interesting. I'll be more interested in what he has to say when it's a postgame interview.

All this chatter of his is mostly meaningless until he actually makes the team.

blahblah is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 01:16 PM
  #77
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
So we want the cup and Nikki wants to win one too. Everyone seems to be on the same page.
Yep, this is from page 4
http://74.125.45.132/translate_c?hl=...XfbqsFeABY1crA

Quote:
Question:
Nikita am GOOD Morning! Since the last Youth World Cup sick of you! I would like to know what achievements you would like to achieve in the NHL

Answer:
First, I would like to win the Stanley Cup. Well, of course, for personal rewards, too, will fight ... It is always nice.

Skraut is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 01:48 PM
  #78
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,823
vCash: 500
I wonder how many people in the NHL don't want to win the Cup.

blahblah is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 01:57 PM
  #79
Double-Shift Lassé
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassé's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
All this chatter of his is mostly meaningless until he actually makes the team.
I disagree. Dude is carrying this board this offseason!

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassé is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 02:00 PM
  #80
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,325
vCash: 500
Isn't "I want to win the Cup" a cliche?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 02:06 PM
  #81
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I wonder how many people in the NHL don't want to win the Cup.
Svitov didn't.

Skraut is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 02:12 PM
  #82
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
I disagree. Dude is carrying this board this offseason!
I did say mostly.

However, the offensive dman and Hitch debates are giving him a run for his money. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that thinks we have to be absolutely bored out of our mind(s) to be impressed that Filatov wants to win the Cup.

blahblah is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 02:17 PM
  #83
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Svitov didn't.
Ok I'll pretend this is a serious answer. When did he say that? Before or after he left for the KHL for whatever "personal" reason that came up?

I'm not bored enough to debate the profound meaning of everything Filatov says.

blahblah is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 02:20 PM
  #84
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Ok I'll pretend this is a serious answer. When did he say that? Before or after he left for the KHL for whatever "personal" reason that came up?

I'm not bored enough to debate the profound meaning of everything Filatov says.
Actions speak louder than words. By choosing to put himself in a position where he couldn't win it (the KHL) he clearly demonstrated that it wasn't a priority for him.

Skraut is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 02:44 PM
  #85
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Actions speak louder than words. By choosing to put himself in a position where he couldn't win it (the KHL) he clearly demonstrated that it wasn't a priority for him.
All he did was demonstrate there was something that was a higher priority. For example, family has alway been a higher priority then ambition for me. That doesn't mean that the ambition never existed or that I would not attempt to fulfill it at a later time.

To say that because he went home, the Cup was not a priority, is a fautly leap in logic. That is one of many possible explanations.

blahblah is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 03:19 PM
  #86
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
All he did was demonstrate there was something that was a higher priority. For example, family has alway been a higher priority then ambition for me. That doesn't mean that the ambition never existed or that I would not attempt to fulfill it at a later time.

To say that because he went home, the Cup was not a priority, is a fautly leap in logic. That is one of many possible explanations.
You ask how many people in the NHL wouldn't want to win the cup, and I answered your question, those who are willing to walk away from the opportunity obviously don't want to win the cup.

You could have easily asked how many people wouldn't want to win the lottery. Of course everybody would love to win the lottery, but if a person never actually spend the $1 to play it's clear by their actions that they don't want the winnings.

If you don't pay the $1 you can't claim to want to win the lottery because you aren't doing the absolutely minimum necessary to win. The same goes for winning the Stanley Cup.

Svitov achieved what billions of people on this planet could not; earn a spot on an NHL franchise, where he had a chance (no matter how small) of winning the Stanley Cup. He even had a contract WHICH HE SIGNED stating that he would play for that opportunity. He walked away from it all, and is clear by his actions that he has no desire to win the Stanley Cup.

Skraut is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 03:33 PM
  #87
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,682
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Isn't "I want to win the Cup" a cliche?
Not if one plays in the KHL...

When Filatov said he wanted to win the cup that meant he wants to play hockey in the NHL. He could have said, I want to win the cup but the odds of doing that in Columbus are slim so I hope Hitchcock dislikes my style of play and asks Howson to trade me to a team such as Detroit or Pittsburgh.

If he had said that I'd say we have a problem, but he didn't.

Robert is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 03:45 PM
  #88
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Not if one plays in the KHL...

When Filatov said he wanted to win the cup that meant he wants to play hockey in the NHL. He could have said, I want to win the cup but the odds of doing that in Columbus are slim so I hope Hitchcock dislikes my style of play and asks Howson to trade me to a team such as Detroit or Pittsburgh.

If he had said that I'd say we have a problem, but he didn't.
I really don’t have a problem with what he said. Just pointing out that a player saying he wants the Cup is a cliche. And honestly, even by staying in the NHL, that doesn’t necessarily mean he wants the Cup. I’m sure he probably does, but he may also just love Arby’s and Cedar Point and the good ol’ American way.

Filatov was getting warm fuzzies for being candid and not the typical cliche spouting athlete, allegedly. But “I want to win” or any variation on it, however, is a cliche. 99.5 percent of players probably are going to say the same thing.

Its neither a cause for celebration nor a cause for criticism.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 04:36 PM
  #89
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,682
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Filatov was getting warm fuzzies for being candid and not the typical cliche spouting athlete, allegedly. But “I want to win” or any variation on it, however, is a cliche. 99.5 percent of players probably are going to say the same thing.

Its neither a cause for celebration nor a cause for criticism.
True, sort of like Nash saying he liked the Columbus area yet went to the media to help frame his case for more cash.

Robert is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 05:15 PM
  #90
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
You ask how many people in the NHL wouldn't want to win the cup, and I answered your question, those who are willing to walk away from the opportunity obviously don't want to win the cup.
Wouldn't you feel like a total @#$!@#$ if he moved back home because a family member was sick or something?

Amazing. Let me spell it out one more time. To some people sense of duty > personal gain. I don't know his story and I'm not going to assume I do.


blahblah is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 05:26 PM
  #91
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,256
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I did say mostly.

However, the offensive dman and Hitch debates are giving him a run for his money. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that thinks we have to be absolutely bored out of our mind(s) to be impressed that Filatov wants to win the Cup.
I dunno. Given his attitude with previous questions, I think that's supposed to be more interpreted as "I want to earn a Cup." Which implies a little more than just "gee, that would be nice if I could have one."

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 06:37 PM
  #92
jacketracket*
 
jacketracket*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ... double cream."
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
... but he may also just love Arby?s and Cedar Point and the good ol? American way.
Is good, no?

jacketracket* is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 08:56 PM
  #93
eljefe72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 2,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I wonder how many people in the NHL don't want to win the Cup.
Atlanta Thrashers ownership?

eljefe72 is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 09:31 PM
  #94
Renion
Registered User
 
Renion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 7,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
You ask how many people in the NHL wouldn't want to win the cup, and I answered your question, those who are willing to walk away from the opportunity obviously don't want to win the cup.
Actually, all you might be able to prove from Svitov going to the KHL is that winning the Cup wasn't his greatest goal.

(This is fun.)

Renion is offline  
Old
08-27-2009, 10:47 PM
  #95
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
I know a guy who went to two cup finals...never won the thing. When I asked him if he felt like he feels a little hole in his more than stellar career (he had hall of fame career, but no cup so he would be a longshot to get in) he said: 'no, I played for the money'.

I don't believe him for two seconds. I think has spent his retirement telling himself that so it doesn't eat him alive.

I know another former player who went to the finals and lost who says every year around the time of the finals he gets miserable as heck. He can barely watch the finals because he feels unfulfilled.

Everyone wants to win the cup, but for some guys, especially north american players, it is more of a focus.

I have heard from many people in and around the league that say the Euros are much more focused on winning Olympic gold. When they play street hockey as kids, they always have the final breakaway for the gold medal. Canadians are always shooting for the Stanley Cup. It may be changing but that is how it was and what I heard anyway.


Last edited by hashmarks: 08-28-2009 at 06:55 AM.
hashmarks is offline  
Old
08-28-2009, 01:15 AM
  #96
Siberian
Registered User
 
Siberian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Saint Pierre
Country: France
Posts: 3,555
vCash: 500
For me growing up in Russia Stanley Cup is like some really cool circus, with huge and noisy crowds. I don't truly believe that any Russian players actually dream of winning the Stanley Cup in the same way they want to win World Championship or Olympic Games. I understand why many Russians want to play in the NHL but I don't think winning the Cup is the main reason for them.

Siberian is offline  
Old
08-28-2009, 06:54 AM
  #97
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
For me growing up in Russia Stanley Cup is like some really cool circus, with huge and noisy crowds. I don't truly believe that any Russian players actually dream of winning the Stanley Cup in the same way they want to win World Championship or Olympic Games. I understand why many Russians want to play in the NHL but I don't think winning the Cup is the main reason for them.
Thank you for the insight.

hashmarks is offline  
Old
08-28-2009, 07:28 AM
  #98
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
You ask how many people in the NHL wouldn't want to win the cup, and I answered your question, those who are willing to walk away from the opportunity obviously don't want to win the cup.

You could have easily asked how many people wouldn't want to win the lottery. Of course everybody would love to win the lottery, but if a person never actually spend the $1 to play it's clear by their actions that they don't want the winnings.

If you don't pay the $1 you can't claim to want to win the lottery because you aren't doing the absolutely minimum necessary to win. The same goes for winning the Stanley Cup.

Svitov achieved what billions of people on this planet could not; earn a spot on an NHL franchise, where he had a chance (no matter how small) of winning the Stanley Cup. He even had a contract WHICH HE SIGNED stating that he would play for that opportunity. He walked away from it all, and is clear by his actions that he has no desire to win the Stanley Cup.
I dont agree with this. There are many guys who have played in the NHL as border-line talents who leave for the opportunity to get more ice time. This doesn't mean that they don't want to win a cup, but that they would rather be a top 6 forward and are frustrated with playing 4 minutes a game trying to win a cup.

smitty10 is online now  
Old
08-28-2009, 07:54 AM
  #99
Double-Shift Lassé
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassé's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I’m sure he probably does, but he may also just love Arby’s and Cedar Point and the good ol’ American way.
Arby's? Cedar Point?

What a country!

Double-Shift Lassé is offline  
Old
08-28-2009, 08:11 AM
  #100
Double-Shift Lassé
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassé's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I did say mostly.

However, the offensive dman and Hitch debates are giving him a run for his money. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that thinks we have to be absolutely bored out of our mind(s) to be impressed that Filatov wants to win the Cup.
The Hitch debate sucks because it's basically a shout-down. That one gets no love from me.

You're right, though, about the offensive d-man discussion. A close second to the Filatov chatter.

Double-Shift Lassé is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.