HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Tedenby vs. Tangradi

Old
08-08-2009, 03:59 PM
WickedWrister

vCash: 500
Tedenby vs. Tangradi

The consensus #1 prospects for their respective teams (Devils and Penguins).

HF has Tedenby as a 7.5C, while they have Tangradi ranked as a 8.0B.

I would have Tedenby a little higher, but that's just me. I understand that their games are polar opposites, but which player do you think will become a superior pro?

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Selanne08*

tedenby.

i have a bad feeling about tang.. even before he was traded. best of luck to him though. hope for pens fans sake he turns out to be a bobby ryan type power forward

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:06 PM
re5piration
'67 til

I think Tedenby will be the better offensive player, but, the game Tangradi provides is much more appealing to me and I think I'd rather have him on the Leafs.

Both great prospects though.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Iwishihadacup

tedenby

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Bleak

I don't see what is the fuss over Tangradi. He was a good-go-to-the-net guy and that was all. People have him pretty overrated since he is not a penguin (Gasp! CALIFORNIA has the best hockey media!).

Tedenby is going to be a great player. He is more skilled than Tangradi. I was never hyped about Tangradi when he was traded. I am glad we got something for him.

Bleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:08 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Tangradi as an 8.0 B is a joke...and this is coming from one of his biggest supporters. At best he is an 8.0 C...and even that is probably a bit too high. I'd probably grade him a 7.5 C in the end. These are definitely two different players though...

Tedenby is a highly skilled, speedy winger who is also not afraid to lay a hit here and there. He is a bit small, but he doesn't really play like it and with his talent level, he could definitely turn out to be a productive NHL player.

Tangradi is the big-body, hard-hitting player with a great shot and excellent offensive instincts around the net. One of the best finishers in the OHL last year, and the fact that he is an all-around player helps the cause. The good thing about Tangradi, is that he is a pretty darn good skater for someone of his size.

I'd say..Tangradi has more potential but I do think Tedenby has a better chance of reaching is. At the same time, I think Tangradi could fit on any line and in any role due to his ability to do so many different things.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:11 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Tangradi as an 8.0 B is a joke...and this is coming from one of his biggest supporters. At best he is an 8.0 C...and even that is probably a bit too high. I'd probably grade him a 7.5 C in the end. These are definitely two different players though...

Tedenby is a highly skilled, speedy winger who is also not afraid to lay a hit here and there. He is a bit small, but he doesn't really play like it and with his talent level, he could definitely turn out to be a productive NHL player.

Tangradi is the big-body, hard-hitting player with a great shot and excellent offensive instincts around the net. One of the best finishers in the OHL last year, and the fact that he is an all-around player helps the cause. The good thing about Tangradi, is that he is a pretty darn good skater for someone of his size.

I'd say..Tangradi has more potential but I do think Tedenby has a better chance of reaching is. At the same time, I think Tangradi could fit on any line and in any role due to his ability to do so many different things.
Tangradi does not have more potential than Tedenby IMO. Tedenby is an amazing offensive player. Purely on offense, Tedenby is far ahead of Tangradi. I don't really understand how Tangradi has developed a high reputation on here whilst nobody talks about Tedenby. Tedenby is the better player right now, and has the better offensive upside.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:25 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

The thing to remember is that each team's HF contributor rates prospects differently. Our writer Jared Ramsden tends to be more conservative in handing out high numbers in comparison to those of other teams. Consider that along with Tedenby, Jacob Josefson is also a 7.5C and Nicklas Bergfors is a 7.0B. It's essentially a crapshoot so I don't get caught up in rankings between two teams - what is (slightly) more significant is how a team's prospects rank compared to each other.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

I keep hearing that Tangradi's overrated, but I don't hear too many reasons why. There don't seem to be many holes in his game.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:

I agree with everything in this post except for maybe the potential part. Especially the 8.0B rating. Do they seriously think he is on the same level as T.J. Oshie? That is rediculous. But again, couldn't of said things better than this post. I think Tedenby will make up the second half of 1-2 Punch at LW for the Devils. (Parise)

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:59 PM
shveik

Both players have size issues IMO. Let me explain.

Tedenby, while supremely gifted is, well, undersized. He'll have to get stronger to be able to survive the NHL. He has the stickhandling, skating, creativity, vision, everything except proving he can keep that up in a company of 5 big angry men from the other team.

In my opinion it's the same with Tangradi. Yes he is big, but in his case his achievements so far have been helped a great deal by his size. He was able to buy himself time and space pushing around 18 year olds in junior, he is simply too much to handle at that level. The question is, are his size and strength enough to give him similar advantage in the NHL. Possibly, he is huge after all. But there is a chance that it's not going to happen, in that case he isn't making it to the top 6. But, compared to Tedenby, he has much less chance to bust altogether.

shveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 05:03 PM
ericnut

Tangradi was an "overager" when he was with the Ducks.

To be honest, I think Tangradi will turn out to be a stud.

ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by shveik View Post
Both players have size issues IMO. Let me explain.

Tedenby, while supremely gifted is, well, undersized. He'll have to get stronger to be able to survive the NHL. He has the stickhandling, skating, creativity, vision, everything except proving he can keep that up in a company of 5 big angry men from the other team.
Do 5 big angry swedish men count? Thats what he played against in the playoffs and did pretty well, especially with 4th line minutes and linemates. I do agree though it will be different when he comes over to NA.

Old
08-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Dr Grant

Send a message via MSN to Dr Grant

Dr Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsNJ4 View Post
Your YT link dont workkkkkk.

EDIT: nvm.

Old
08-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Dr Grant

Send a message via MSN to Dr Grant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
Your YT link dont workkkkkk.
Nonsense, I am the Youtube guy.

Dr Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 05:30 PM
wej20

No Offense intended but I love how when ever a prospect moves organisations he immediately gets labeled as overrated by his previous teams Fans. Same thing happened when Ryan McDonagh got moved.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Bleak

Naw I wasn't a fan with him to begin with. Don't get me wrong he is going to be a good 2nd line or 3rd line player. But nothing more than that in the NHL. He'll get boxed out and he doesn't have the talent to create something out of nothing as does Tedenby does. Tangradi is a lot like... Dustin Penner [Pre Oiler] in his game style aspect. Except Tangradi is a little more dependable.

Old
08-08-2009, 05:38 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleak View Post
Naw I wasn't a fan with him to begin with. Don't get me wrong he is going to be a good 2nd line or 3rd line player. But nothing more than that in the NHL. He'll get boxed out and he doesn't have the talent to create something out of nothing as does Tedenby does. Tangradi is a lot like... Dustin Penner [Pre Oiler] in his game style aspect. Except Tangradi is a little more dependable.
I'd be more than happy with a more hard working version of Dustin Penner, A consistent 20 goal scorer who can score garbage goals and screen the goalie on the PP is what the Pens need. With Crosby and Malkin to play with he isn't really going to be relied on to create something out of nothing.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Bleak

Exactly, but people are making him up to be a 'star' player which he is definitely not. I am going to steal this from the Ducks forum from snarktacular:
Quote:
hmm. Looking at the Pens top 20 article, you can see why there's so much hype. Their writer just does that. Just compare Tangradi's Pen bit:
Quote:
Quote:
With a prototypical power-forward build and skills to match, Tangradi can score goals off the rush with a hard accurate wrist shot, one-time pucks from the high-slot with a hard slap-shot, redirect passes and shots from in front of the net, and use brute force to create offense off the cycle. His size, strength, and demeanor allow him to be a dominating force around the net and along the boards. He has also shown a willingness to drop the gloves.

Tangradi’s offensive game is dynamic, but it is the physical aspect he brings that makes him a special prospect. His physical play along the boards and around the net has stepped up in the past year. He has also shown a greater willingness to mix it up and this enthusiasm for physical play should not change despite his recent injury.
Quote:
with the Ducks one:
Quote:
Quote:
Philadelphia native Tangradi was a steal in the second round of the 2007 draft for Anaheim. Tangradi has had much success in the OHL with the Belleville Bulls with his solid defensive play and offensive ability. After averaging just over a point per game last season (60 points in 56 games), Tangradi has cleared his personal bests in every category. Currently, he is second in the OHL in scoring with 84 points in 51 games, including 38 goals.

At 6’4 and a hair over 220 lbs, Tangradi already has the size to be an effective power forward at the pro ranks, and he uses his size fully. He just turned 20 this month.
Quote:
"Solid" and "effective" versus "dominating," "dynamic," and "special prospect."

Hell, just look at their #20 prospect: a "prolific scorer" who is "an explosive skater and plays with poise beyond his years."
I just don't expect him to be a star like Tedenby. Most people don't know crap about hockey and just read articles like that and assume that they must be true. Unlike them I actually like watching my prospects grow into their potential. Not just read some article that can easily produce words like "Dynamic" or "Star". Again, don't get me wrong, I hope he does become a star and say that we drafted him. =D But I doubt he'll be producing that much in the NHL as he is just using his size and positioning to get goals. Not his raw skill.

Old
08-08-2009, 05:58 PM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Exactly, but people are making him up to be a 'star' player which he is definitely not. I am going to steal this from the Ducks forum from snarktacular:

I just don't expect him to be a star like Tedenby. Most people don't know crap about hockey and just read articles like that and assume that they must be true. Unlike them I actually like watching my prospects grow into their potential. Not just read some article that can easily produce words like "Dynamic" or "Star". Again, don't get me wrong, I hope he does become a star and say that we drafted him. =D But I doubt he'll be producing that much in the NHL as he is just using his size and positioning to get goals. Not his raw skill.

I'm not sure where you get the bit on our #20 prospect. Nowhere in Velischek's bio is he described as such.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't he your #2 prospect when he was traded?

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Gooch

Ian who writes about our prospects has gotten quite a good look at Tangradi and he has been clearly the best prospect we have out on the ice. I don't know why it's such a stretch that he can have the possibility of 8.0 for upside.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Nowhere does his Pens profile say that he's going to be a star in the NHL. It even explicitly states that Tangradi is likely to play in the AHL this season. What a hype job eh? The big difference between his Pens and Ducks profiles to me is only that the former is much more descriptive whereas the latter is more generalizations and stats. I prefer not only reading that he has "offensive ability" but also what exactly that includes. Other than that both profiles aren't very far apart, although I don't know what Tangradi's rating was last year.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Ian who writes about our prospects has gotten quite a good look at Tangradi and he has been clearly the best prospect we have out on the ice. I don't know why it's such a stretch that he can have the possibility of 8.0 for upside.
For me, it isn't the 8.0, its the B rating that should be changed. TJ Oshie is an 8.0B and he was putting up good numbers in the NHL. Tangradi was putting up good numbers in the OHL. I think if anything, Tangradi should be an 8.0C.

Old
08-08-2009, 06:22 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:

After all the things you posted about Tangradi I don't see the joke involved?

The truth is people are comparing two different types of players which is hard to do. Tangradi brings to the Pens the exact type of player they need. The Pens lack that guy that can sit in front of the net like Franzen does for the Wings. I think Tangradi will fit in very nicely with Crosby's or Malkin's line a year from now. Tangradi will also be that missing piece in front of the net on our #1 PP in a few years. With his great size, good skating (great for a big man), mean streak and physical play with his good hand eye contact to finish in front of the net he is going to put up great #'s with the Pens. I think many on these boards are going to eat their words on this kid.

You can't just look at a players skills without factoring in size, playing style, etc. because those are also big factors when judging a player. Eric Christensen was a good example of a guy that has great skills but lacks the hockey IQ and toughness to become a solid NHL player. That is the extreme but is just a good example of needing to look at the complete package.

Their are plenty of great power forwards over the years that were not the type of player to beat many people one on one but were beast going to and sitting in front of the net and could finish good, and physically push people around. Tocchet was that type of player and I would take a Tocchet or Stevens type over a Tedenby or even The other guys people compared him to like Oshie, Moller, or Giroux type anyday. I like the big physical winger that can skate, fight, and score the dirty goals over the types of players they will become. I think Tangradi has a chance to become his 8.0 B ranking and would not be surprised if he turns out better than those prospects I just listed. I value the physical power forward more than most people I guess unless we are talking Crosby/Malkin type talent.

I think at worst Tangradi becomes a 20+ goal scorer that provides a physical brand of hockey and I would not be surprised if he turns out to be a Tocchet type player for his top upside. I can't think of anything Tocchet had that this kid is lacking at the same age.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote