HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal/Chicago

Old
08-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
What value do you actually think a goalie like Halak holds?

Not much I can tell you this.

Halak is worth nothing more then a 2nd round pick alone or an average 3rd liner.

Sopel could potentially play 2nd pairing or steal a 5th.

Value wise the deal is even.
Maybe Halak doesn't have much value, but at this point there is no reason for Gainey to deal him unless he gets value in return. The Habs don't need Sopel given their current defensive depth, so unless Gainey can use Halak as part of a deal to fill a pressing need, there is no reason for him to be dealt.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 08:17 AM
TheCH*

I realize Halak doesn't have much trade value as of now, which means there is no point in the habs trading him. I am a believer that this guy will have a better career than Price(yes i know i am in the minority with this opinion, but time will tell).

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Chugnz33

The answer is a big NO, this is not a match sorry

Chugnz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

Halak is worth nothing more then a 2nd round pick alone or an average 3rd liner.

Halak is worth a 2nd round pick? Your offer is worse than that. We really don't need Sopel...not at all. We would eat up that salary for you...for a 3rd round pick? Really not a good proposal for the Habs. Halak is the best asset in the deal...a big NO from Montreal.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 09:40 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:

Why would I trade someone like Halak when is his value is so low?

No one sells low. None of this makes sense.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
To Chicago
Halak - 775,000 RFA 2010

To Montreal
Sopel - 2.3 UFA 2011
2010 3rd
A couple of points:
  1. Montreal's defense is set. Gainey signed Spacek, Mara and Gill this summer who will join Markov, Hamrlik and Gorges, with O'Byrne or Weber as the 7th defenseman (young and cheap)
  2. Montreal doesn't have the cap space to take on Sopel

Now if you want Halak (and I can't blame you for that), let's work something out around Troy Brouwer perhaps, something the Habs actually need.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:06 AM
brevard*

Without even considering the Habs needs it is hard to complain about all those Leafs proposals when a Hawk fan then proposes somethiing like this since it is not fair value.

Sopel is not bad but he is best suited as a good 3rd pairing who is decent as a 2nd pairing. 2.33m for 2 years is simply too much for that. This is the type of deal where a team would have to pay to move the player.

If I were forced to make an offer and keep the principals the same I think a more fair deal would be,
Sopel, 2nd rd pick, Crawford or Neimi (Habs choice)
For
Halak

Honestly I don't think the Hawks would pay more than that and i don't think the Habs accept the deal so it's a non issue. Chicago has gone from an empty building to a full one and has raised ticket prices. Hossa's injury means there is no cap issue this year so my guess is Chicago keeps Sopel, Johnson and Hendry for depth. They have 8 D-men under contract and a few decent prospects but NONE of those prospects will be ready this season. One of those three may likely begin the year in the AHL but injuries happen. Moving Sopel now (at a loss or not) could mean having to overpay some other team for someone in Feb. or March to replace an injured player.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
Quote:

you fail to realize that Hamrlik is already a 2nd pairing D-man, our 3rd best. We wont lose Halak to gain a not-so-much or not-even-at-all upgrade in Sopel.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:42 AM
RC51

Yeah I guess some of you guys are right.
Halak has done nothing he is a minor asset not worth much at all. The good part for the Habs is he is real cheap. So I think as a backup to a backup from a nothing goalie not worth ink on paper Habs should just forget this guy and just keep him. Let him sit, you always need a practice goalie everybody can score on to boost scoring moral.
If he gets hurt or dies under a bus it's no loss at all. After all someone has to go outside and help push the bus in a snowstorm. Yep, I am convinced you guys are right. Halak is canon fodder and every teems needs some. SO the Habs will keep him.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:49 AM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Yeah I guess some of you guys are right.
Halak has done nothing he is a minor asset not worth much at all. The good part for the Habs is he is real cheap. So I think as a backup to a backup from a nothing goalie not worth ink on paper Habs should just forget this guy and just keep him. Let him sit, you always need a practice goalie everybody can score on to boost scoring moral.
If he gets hurt or dies under a bus it's no loss at all. After all someone has to go outside and help push the bus in a snowstorm. Yep, I am convinced you guys are right. Halak is canon fodder and every teems needs some. SO the Habs will keep him.
Somebody get this guy a kleenex!!!

Halak is a good NHL level backup goalie. Probably one of the top 5 back ups in the NHL right now. However until he gets that shot and shows otehrwise he is still only a back up.
Huet has often played 30 to 40 games with great numbers and has a year of over 50 games (again with great numbers) where he somewhat carried a team to the playoffs and everyone here thinks he sucks too. So get over it.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:31 AM
FanHabtic

Halak's trade value is low due to an oversaturated market of goaltenders. His value to the Habs however is quite high considering his is a 1B goaltender with a low salary. The proposed trade for Sopel makes zero sense for the Habs. Sopel does nothing for the Habs and his salary would only hurt us.

I don't see the Habs and hawks as good trading partners. Hawks need someone to take salary and the Habs are not that team.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Halak's trade value is low due to an oversaturated market of goaltenders. His value to the Habs however is quite high considering his is a 1B goaltender with a low salary. The proposed trade for Sopel makes zero sense for the Habs. Sopel does nothing for the Habs and his salary would only hurt us.

I don't see the Habs and hawks as good trading partners. Hawks need someone to take salary and the Habs are not that team.
While I agree that Halak's trade value is limited if we were to offer him around, I feel that it all depends on who initiates the talks here. If Chicago is high on Halak, they'll be willing to part with something decent in return.

Old
08-09-2009, 11:39 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
While I agree that Halak's trade value is limited if we were to offer him around, I feel that it all depends on who initiates the talks here. If Chicago is high on Halak, they'll be willing to part with something decent in return.
Hawks could sign a backup goaltender for cheap. No need to overpay for Halak IMO. And no need for the Habs to take on salary of a player who does not factor into our future (like Sopel). Habs have a bevy of d-men on the verge of challenging for a roster spot. Sopel is the last player we need. If anything Gill was signed for 1 year too long. Next season you will see Weber and Subban challenging for spots with outside opportunities to Fisher and Emelin (if he ever comes over).

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:46 AM
HABitual Fan

What would montreal gain from this deal other then help Chicago solidify their goalie situation and cut salary? Montreal would need more then Sopel to do this, much as the SJ rumor where Montral would need to make out like bandits to agree to help Ottawa clear up the Heatley mess. Dealing for Gomez met a team need for a top line center, this doesn't meet any team needs and actually weakens them.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Hawks could sign a backup goaltender for cheap. No need to overpay for Halak IMO. And no need for the Habs to take on salary of a player who does not factor into our future (like Sopel). Habs have a bevy of d-men on the verge of challenging for a roster spot. Sopel is the last player we need. If anything Gill was signed for 1 year too long. Next season you will see Weber and Subban challenging for spots with outside opportunities to Fisher and Emelin (if he ever comes over).
If the Hawks are interested in Halak, it's for the future which means that finding just another backup won't do the trick.

As for the Sopel offer, I've addressed that:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...5&postcount=31

Old
08-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Tyler Myers

Quote:
I think Sopel is an asset, he just has no place here in Chicago.

Hes not garbage thats for sure. Its not like hes AHL/NHL fringe.
you can keep him then

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Maxpac

Habs have absolutely no interest in trading a promissing goalie like Halak for an overpaid n.6 defensmen. The only we would trade Halak is via packaging him for something we don't have. An example would be Halak and a 2nd for Kyle Beach.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 07:03 PM
CrossCheck

Quote:
I get what your saying.

21 mil on D in the cap era is excessive.

IF the Hawks had the space Hamrlik and Halak for Sopel?
You are just just going deeper and deeper and deeper and deeper and....

Who is Brent Sopel?

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Andy

how about

Halak + Plekanec

for

Bolland

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 07:19 PM
ILuvLucic*

So Canadiens give the Blackhawks an awesome goalie for scraps and fix a bit of their cap problem? Gainey isn't that stupid. If you want a good young goalie like Halak you'll have to add something interesting to Sopel. If not Habs don't even call back.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Fozz

Halak is more than a cheap backup... He's a young and talented goalie with the potential to be a solid number 1. There are more than a few GM's that are smart enough to recognize this and one just might want to pay up for him. In fact, I'm sure that Gainey has had quite a few offers for him but is waiting for Price to clearly establish himself as the goalie he's expected to be before he trades Halak.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote