HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bill Ranford Interview

Old
08-10-2009, 12:42 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

vCash: 500
Bill Ranford Interview

He talks about preparations for training camp and the goalies in the system at present....

http://downloads.kings.nhl.com/podca...09_ranford.mp3

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Sounds good, I don't really care what combination we have in goal, I just love the fact that for the first time, in a long time, I am completely 100% comfortable with the position and don't even have to worry about it.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Randart

Thanks for the Link...

I really appreciate the staff we have in place guys like Bill Ranford are a god send to our young goalies! DL and TM have assembled a very very fine group all the way around...

Now can TM please stick with some lines and get some chemistry going!

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 10:54 AM
mysteryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Sounds good, I don't really care what combination we have in goal, I just love the fact that for the first time, in a long time, I am completely 100% comfortable with the position and don't even have to worry about it.
Totally agreed, a very strange feeling. It used to be the only things one could be certain of was Death, Taxes, and mediocre Kings goaltending.

mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 11:33 AM
T2M

Quote:
Until Quick or Bernier string 2 or 3 good seasons together, I'm not 100% comfortable with the position. That being said, I'm hopeful.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
Until Quick or Bernier string 2 or 3 good seasons together, I'm not 100% comfortable with the position. That being said, I'm hopeful.
Well, yeah, they could fall and such. But at this moment right now, I couldn't imagine bringing in another goalie, and I am comfortable with every single one in the organization, so I don't have to worry about who gets the job as I had in every single camp since Potvin

Old
08-11-2009, 06:33 PM
T2M

Quote:
Well, yeah, they could fall and such. But at this moment right now, I couldn't imagine bringing in another goalie, and I am comfortable with every single one in the organization, so I don't have to worry about who gets the job as I had in every single camp since Potvin
Sorry, there have been too many goaltenders that have had a good first season (or half season in Quick's case) and then disappeared for me to be sold on the goaltending issue being completely cleaned up. I agree, we sink or swim with these goaltenders, but that doesn't mean I think we're out of the woods yet.

Old
08-11-2009, 06:49 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Training camp should be interesting. Wonder who will make the cut.

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Brodie562

In no way are we out of the woods but i get what Telos is saying. Every year when asked what you’re excited about for the upcoming season, the first thing out of my mouth was always which ever keeper we had going in, Chechmanek, Garon, Cloutier, Ersberg last year but stupid @$$ TM stuck with LaBarbera and even him. just because i was curious about their style and seeing them game in and game out.

Not this year, ive seen all three and know what they bring and am comfortable with them. Sure they all could crash and burn but i doubt it, I trust DL and his handling of this position.

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

There was a time when Fiset and Storr made a lot of Kings fans comfortable as well. Then Huet, then Potvin, Garon, even Jason in his first season before he had the personal issues with his gf / wife.

Bernier hasn't proven dick.

I am cautiously hopeful re Quick. The Garon memories are what haunt me with Quick. Fast and flexible but unable to sustain an entire season. We shall see.

Sorry to be the kill joy. It is the one position with which I am very familiar and has given me the most gray hairs

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Sorry, there have been too many goaltenders that have had a good first season (or half season in Quick's case) and then disappeared for me to be sold on the goaltending issue being completely cleaned up. I agree, we sink or swim with these goaltenders, but that doesn't mean I think we're out of the woods yet.
I agree, I am not saying we are out of the woods, I am saying as of this very second, I don't care who gets the job because they all have the potential to play well and have proven they can do so in some capacity. I don't care who is chosen in camp versus last year where I was praying at the altar that Labs would get bumped for Ersberg, and that Cloutier would never see another game again in a Kings uniform the year prior.... I am saying, for once in a long time, I don't care who gets the job - I care about whether or not they can prove themselves and maintain their play, but I don't care who gets it - I am relaxed with our position in goal as far as training camp is concerned.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I have a ton of faith in Quick. I really don't think this guy is another LaBarbera or Garon. I think he is legit.

We'll see.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 09:21 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
There was a time when Fiset and Storr made a lot of Kings fans comfortable as well. Then Huet, then Potvin, Garon, even Jason in his first season before he had the personal issues with his gf / wife.

Bernier hasn't proven dick.

I am cautiously hopeful re Quick. The Garon memories are what haunt me with Quick. Fast and flexible but unable to sustain an entire season. We shall see.

Sorry to be the kill joy. It is the one position with which I am very familiar and has given me the most gray hairs
i agree with you. i'm neverous with hopeful anxiety that quick can prove his worth for a whole season and that bernier/ersberg can step up when needed or to take over the reigns but i've always wondered how you could prove dick.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 10:31 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
I'm just curious, but what goalies are you talking about that had a good first season and gave you hope? I can't remember anyone since Hrudey that ever had a good first season. Not Garon, not Huet, Chechmanic, Labarbara, Cloutier, etc etc. I have never had hope in any of those guys after their first season. But so far, Quick has not given me ANY reason to be worried....but obviously, time will tell.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
I'm just curious, but what goalies are you talking about that had a good first season and gave you hope? I can't remember anyone since Hrudey that ever had a good first season. Not Garon, not Huet, Chechmanic, Labarbara, Cloutier, etc etc. I have never had hope in any of those guys after their first season. But so far, Quick has not given me ANY reason to be worried....but obviously, time will tell.
The 2 that come to my mind were Jamie Storr and Robb Stauber. Not sure where tthey fall in the pecking order but they started off well and went kerplunk!

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:09 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
I was thinking league wide, as every year there seems to be a goalie that lights it up for that one year and in 2 years time is a backup or in the minors. Aside from the guys Frolovfan mentioned, off the top of my head, Raycroft strikes me as one of those guys. Theodore had a few good years and then fell off the face of the planet (but that's a different story). Kari Lehtonen (although some Thrashers fans still believe). Thibault was supposed to be good but never put it together. That's the thing, Quick did very well last year, but he wasn't Steve Mason. So to me he falls somewhere between that "could be a star, could be a backup" kind of range so many above average goaltenders fall into. I'm excited about what I read about his attitude and work ethic, but I wonder if he still doesn't have a learning curve to go through that will end up disappointing us this year.