HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Columbus/Colorado

Old
08-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Biggzy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malet patrulje View Post
It all comes down to how badly Columbus wants to win now vs. in a few years. Trading young assets for proven talent is a dangerous-yet-proven strategy for cusp contenders. The Jackets would have an incredible d core if this trade went down, but yes, at the price of losing a young blue-liner with potential.

Commodore - Liles
Tyutin - Hejda
Klesla - Methot (sides may not be accurate)
I could understand the trade if Columbus was likely to go deep in the playoffs, but it seems like they aren't at that point yet. Their prospects are among the best in the league. Just imo it would be better to hang on to Russell and wait for all their players to mature together, that will be one scary team. Voracek, Brassard, Filatov, Russell, Moore, etc.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 03:06 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
I could understand the trade if Columbus was likely to go deep in the playoffs, but it seems like they aren't at that point yet. Their prospects are among the best in the league. Just imo it would be better to hang on to Russell and wait for all their players to mature together, that will be one scary team. Voracek, Brassard, Filatov, Russell, Moore, etc.
I agree the CBJ arent ready for that push just yet. Maybe in 2 years though. However, the common HFboard mentality of waiting for the entire core to mature at the same time then sign hometown discounts never actually works.

Teams even in the high spending 90's like Philly and St Louis never made it because they waited and waited for the development of the final piece within and ended up missing their window for a cup.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 02:23 PM
4hockey8

Immaterial Thread - Liles has a limited NTC and if I remember correctly, Columbus is not on his list of teams he can be traded to.

4hockey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I mentioned this in the similar thread a couple weeks ago that turned into a flame war.

I don't know that Liles has gotten better since his rookie year. He's 28, going into his sixth season, and to me has pretty much stagnated. His value was highest three or four years ago; now he looks like someone who will be a perennial 10-goal, 40-point guy but will never actually take the next step beyond that.

I don't think Columbus is terribly eager to move the one NHL-level offensive defenseman who has gotten substantially better in a short period of time for someone who looks like he'll top out as "decent", rather than "star".

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 04:26 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

What about if Colorado added Foote? He would be a great mentor for Commodore.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
What about if Colorado added Foote? He would be a great mentor for Commodore.

Yeah Foote needs to be added, he'll make a good practice goalie.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

vCash: 7757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I mentioned this in the similar thread a couple weeks ago that turned into a flame war.

I don't know that Liles has gotten better since his rookie year. He's 28, going into his sixth season, and to me has pretty much stagnated. His value was highest three or four years ago; now he looks like someone who will be a perennial 10-goal, 40-point guy but will never actually take the next step beyond that.

I don't think Columbus is terribly eager to move the one NHL-level offensive defenseman who has gotten substantially better in a short period of time for someone who looks like he'll top out as "decent", rather than "star".
Liles' defensive zone coverage has improved greatly over the last few years.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 04:47 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Liles' defensive zone coverage has improved greatly over the last few years.
yes, this. Liles is the same offensive guy he always has been, but he's vastly improved defensively. He's even showing some physicality these days...

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 06:20 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malet patrulje View Post

Not sure if you saw my revised offer of Liles + Hensick for a 1st, Russell and Chimera?

Pros for Columbus: Gain offensive d-man more suited for a "win now" approach and a depth center with upside.

Cons for Columbus: Russell could develop to be more valuable than Liles. It's a gamble for increased Cup odds in 2010.

Pros for Colorado: Sheds a few million from payroll (I think Liles and Hensick combined make a shade under 5M compared to Chimera and Russell making approximately 2.5M total). Rough math. Chimera could supplement the Av's weak LW while still giving Galliardi, McLeod (and perhaps Wolski if Duchene is returned) the bulk of the ice time. Russell could end up being just as/more valuable than Liles and is younger and cheaper (for now at least).

Cons for Colorado: Sherman may not be able to trade Salei, Hannan or Clark, failing to clear the log jam. Ideally Sherman would deal Clark and Salei, leaving:

Hannan - Quincey
Foote - Russell
Camp victor - Preissing

Then Shattenkirk in 2010-11.
I saw it. I just don't think a tiny guy like Russell is that worthwhile with Cumiskey and Shattenkirk likely full timers next year. And
Chimera's contract term scares me.

swap Torres for Chimera and I'd do it still, Russell could be traded himself or Cumiskey. Modin would work in a trade too. both are better suited to top 6 duty over chimera.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 07:51 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Yeah Foote needs to be added, he'll make a good practice goalie.
somehow you confused foote with clark

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
somehow you confused foote with clark
His ex teammates would rather fire pucks at Foote

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
I don't know how Columbus fans are agreeing to a trade like this. Russell is gonna be real good. Trading him, along with other valuable assets to get older and more expensive doesn't make any sense.
I don't think Columbus fans are agreeing to this. I don't see the organization spending 2 years of development on Russell to trade him for a guy like Liles. I would like to have Liles but in addition to Russell. Russell has shown he can skate and move the puck. He took a big step forward last year and I'm not sure the difference between he and Liles will be all that great this year.

Moving a 1st won't happen in a deal like this. I could see Howson moving a 1st round pick as part of a packager for a player like Niskanen (sp) from Dallas or someone like that. Otherwise Columbus will likely continue to hold on to those picks and move prospects as they can.

Currently we need to move a LW to free up some space. We don't have budget room to simply take on Liles for prospects and I don't know his contract status (can't check here at work) at the moment.

I think Liles would be a good fit but a trade would probably need to have Chimera going the other way along with a pick and/or prospect. Chimera, Weber and a 3rd for Liles. I know, I know...aint good enough (I hate proposals. )

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 04:21 PM
MephistoIV

Send a message via AIM to MephistoIV
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachWithNoTeam View Post
Any trade from Columbus involving Russell goes against what theyre trying to do. The idea would probably be to add a player like Liles to mentor Russell for a short time. However the length/number of his contract as well as his size don't make him an ideal target. People sell Russell short because he made the league as a 20 year old (and as a small defenseman at that)... People are going to be scoffing at this thread after this season when Russell racks up 30-40 points... He is one of the very best skaters in the league and has some skills, he just needs to work on his strength. But the Jackets will not be acquiring a defenseman with Liles salary right now, let alone for the next few years when resigning Brassard, Mason, Voracek, Filatov, and Russell will be so key. And Columbus doesnt have the financial freedom to spend up and over the cap like a Chicago...I would think about $3M is the limit on salary for any acquisition, and even in that situation Chimera or someone would have to go in the other direction... I expect Howson to stand pat well into training camp/regular seasion
this, and what mt svk said. Russell is untouchable...

MephistoIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I don't think Columbus fans are agreeing to this. I don't see the organization spending 2 years of development on Russell to trade him for a guy like Liles. I would like to have Liles but in addition to Russell. Russell has shown he can skate and move the puck. He took a big step forward last year and I'm not sure the difference between he and Liles will be all that great this year.

Moving a 1st won't happen in a deal like this. I could see Howson moving a 1st round pick as part of a packager for a player like Niskanen (sp) from Dallas or someone like that. Otherwise Columbus will likely continue to hold on to those picks and move prospects as they can.

Currently we need to move a LW to free up some space. We don't have budget room to simply take on Liles for prospects and I don't know his contract status (can't check here at work) at the moment.

I think Liles would be a good fit but a trade would probably need to have Chimera going the other way along with a pick and/or prospect. Chimera, Weber and a 3rd for Liles. I know, I know...aint good enough (I hate proposals. )
Scott Howson didn't get to be this caliber of GM by moving picks or prospects. In a salary cap world, the easiest way to ensure long-term success is to keep drafting and developing players.

Of course, if Mike Green became available, all bets are off.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote