HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft is key..trades to add to our younger players..my thoughts..

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2004, 09:45 AM
jdsrangers

vCash: 500
Draft Day is key..trades to add to our younger players..my thoughts..

The D with Tyutin, Pock (he looks like he will be a good one) Rachunek , Lampy and the Dman from Toronto give up hope for the future. Mix in Kasper and Poti and "free agent Dman and we will have the foundation for the future on D.

Great news on Blackburn..starting to heal with him and Lunquist & a free agent pick up or trade plenty of 2nd round picks to trade (KHABIBULIN ?) we should be set.

Holik, Jagr, Ortmeyer, Lundmark, Balej, Murray & Betts offer a good strart but Sather must pick up some vets to give us scoring. I think Barney wants to come back and Sather should have some good "younger" players to trade for since teams will look to move salary and we have plenty of extra picks. The key is to trade/sign younger free agents..this year come mid July their will be quite a few good players that won't get qualified!

Umberger must be signed if the Rangers feel he can play in the NHL. It may take until after June 1st since Sather may try to get Umbee and the 2nd rould pick....Umbee knows he has a chance to play with the Rangers next season..stay tuned!!

Draft day will be key. Sather needs to use some of the picks to pick up a player or two that teams want to get a draft pick for rather than get nothing if they don't qualify the player. Sather needs to be proactive and get the team to fill in with young 24 to 29 year old talent not a washed up over the hill free agents as he has done in the past.

I am a Ranger season ticket holder for over 20 years and I feel that Sather did the right thing at the trade deadline and must continue to build a young team.

Your thoughts....

Old
04-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Fletch

Sather had no choice...

the team was going nowhere and he had to unload UFA players. Now we realize why Sather wasn't giving out long-term contracts. Now we know why Kovalev got a one year contract. Ditto Simon. Ditto Rucinsky. Ditto Mronov.

But he does now is key. Does he know how to build a team? He's said for years the right things - build from within, throughout the organization. Youth needs to be injected. Can we give him a pass and simply agree that there was no youth to inject? I think that's true but he didn't have a concerted consistent effort to bring in the youth and in fact went the other way. Heck, he makes a deecnt trade for Ekman by giving up Taylor and doesn't give Ekman a chance - who proved to be an NHLer this season. He filled the roster at times with rejected youth, such as the Jeffs, Ulmer and Toms. Bad UFA pick-ups, which may be a result of horrific coaching choices (Ulanov was bad for the Rangers - but he ain't so bad for the Oilers). So does Sather have what it takes? I hope so, but am not willing to place any bets on it.

Old
04-04-2004, 01:17 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
the team was going nowhere and he had to unload UFA players. Now we realize why Sather wasn't giving out long-term contracts. Now we know why Kovalev got a one year contract. Ditto Simon. Ditto Rucinsky. Ditto Mronov.

But he does now is key. Does he know how to build a team? He's said for years the right things - build from within, throughout the organization. Youth needs to be injected. Can we give him a pass and simply agree that there was no youth to inject? I think that's true but he didn't have a concerted consistent effort to bring in the youth and in fact went the other way. Heck, he makes a deecnt trade for Ekman by giving up Taylor and doesn't give Ekman a chance - who proved to be an NHLer this season. He filled the roster at times with rejected youth, such as the Jeffs, Ulmer and Toms. Bad UFA pick-ups, which may be a result of horrific coaching choices (Ulanov was bad for the Rangers - but he ain't so bad for the Oilers). So does Sather have what it takes? I hope so, but am not willing to place any bets on it.
The reason for the one year contracts was because of the expiration of the CBA.

Old
04-04-2004, 05:35 PM
charliemurphy

IMO...
The Forward core of the team will be:
Jagr, Holik, Lundmark, Ortmeyer, Balej, and Murray
Lindros?Only if he's dirt cheap. Rucinsky, Barnaby, and Simon I think want and will be back.
The Defensive core of the team will be:
Tyutin, Kasparaitis, Rachunek, Pock, and Kondratiev.
Poti?I think will be dealt.Kasparaitis and his contract.Remember,don't think for a second that Leetchie won't be back and have #2 retired at the Garden.
Should be an interesting off-season and camp:
J.Green,Larose,Betts,Immonen,M.Green,Giroux,Umberg er,D.Moore,G.Moore,Liffiton,
Kozak,Jessiman,Blackburn,Lundqvist,Helminen,Grenie r,Wiseman,Dawes,Lions,Tigers,andBears Oh My...
Add the upcoming Draft,Free Agents...Remember Dolan prints money in a little dark catacomb below the Garden.
How many picks in the next two drafts? How important are these next two drafts? And just how deep is this year's draft?
O,Malkin,Ladd,Barker,Olesz,Chipchura,Schremp,Thela n,Wolski,Lepisto,Smid,Green...
I wouldn't mind another 1st rounder in 05'.
There could be one hell of a core of talented young players there that need to play within a system.
So...Who gets to coach?
Will take time, but should be exciting in a few years.

Closed Thread