HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Who is gonna be a boom player and whose gonna be a bust player out of the 09 Draft

Old
08-10-2009, 11:06 AM
carlweezer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88_5 View Post
Way to early to tell, but my guesses:

BOOM! :

Hedman
Schenn
Kassian
KulikovGlennie
Schroeder
Josefsson
Runblad

BUST:

Leblanc
KaneEllis
Despres
Holland

Again, just my 2 cents
I really like Kulikov as well! He was top8 almost all year but teams were turned off that he might want to play in the KHL. I think this was a steal! He will be an offensive force in the NHL.

As for Evander Kane, I live in Vancouver so I've seen him play over 100 times for the Giants. This guy is as strong and as skilled as they come..When he wants to go to the net, which is almost everytime, he will get there..He is not a perimeter player who can disappear for a stretch of time.

Don Hay who has coached Kane for several year was quoted into saying that Kane is more skilled and overall better than Iginla or Doan was at this age and this stage of their career.

As for my boom.bust list

I think Schroeder is going to be very successful, the knock on his lack of size will not matter as the new nhl is taylor made for him.

Also think that Anton Rodin will surprise alot of people who have yet to see him play.

as for busts...I think Calvin Dehaan will be bust as well as Leblanc.

carlweezer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Mustafa*

I only watched the frozen four and some Q games plus the Memorial cup, so i dont know much about prospects. But for the Habs i think they might have a boom in Avstyn, if he ever comes to NA. Somekind of a bigger A. Kostitsyn, i'm talking about type of player here. I haven't seen him play in an actual game though, i only saw the drills in the Habs dev camp, but the Russians are realy high on him.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 11:22 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
BOOM!!

- Josefson (cant teach his smarts)
- Kane (this guy is a stud)
- Panik (sick talent, size, and will get to play for Windsor, big year!)
- Glennie (very underrated)
- Hedman, Tavares, Duchesne (easy picks)
- Moore (think Bouwmeester, but on a very good young team)
- Ekman-Larsson (nothing bad to say about his game)

BUST!!

Too early to tell!...to be considered a BUST you need to be a top draft pick and I think most of the top picks are quite safe...I don't think Schenn will be putting up BIG numbers, but will be a top # 3 center, or very solid # 2 center. I am not sold on Kadri, and if I had to put a BUST on someone, I may choose him, but from what Leafs fans are saying, he was nothing short of spectacular during prospects camp so...I also am not so high on MPS, Schroeder or De Haan, but these are all gut feelings, and my gut is often wrong!
Most Kings fans dont expect him to turn into a superstar center whos going to lead the league in points. Most look at him as a very good player to have in the #2 slot behind Kopitar.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Dengore

My 20 cents on the question:

Boom: Ellis
Bust: Kadri

Tavares could very well be the next Alexander Daigle. The Islanders are a horrible team. And besides, without Cody Hodgson feeding him cross crease passes (WJC) who is going to make him look good on the Islanders?

Dengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
bobermay

If Kadri was drafted by Ottawa, or Edmonton, I can almost garuntee you that a lot of these "Kadri will bust" claims wouldn't happen.

I think John Moore and Jacob Josefson will "Boom" and Ellis and Schreoder will "Bust"

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
King City Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengore View Post

Tavares could very well be the next Alexander Daigle. The Islanders are a horrible team. And besides, without Cody Hodgson feeding him cross crease passes (WJC) who is going to make him look good on the Islanders?
Canucks fans and cody hodgson, sweet ginger jesus this guy is getting hyped. Believe it or not, john tavares has played hockey without cody hodgson and done extremely well. I am now expecting hodgson to be jesus on ice, and a miracle every game he plays.

King City Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 02:56 PM
mm11

Quote:

just a brutal quote for your third post my friend "And besides, without Cody Hodgson feeding him cross crease passes (WJC) who is going to make him look good on the Islanders" Care to look at Doug Weight's career assist numbers? Look at Streit on the Islanders as well, maybe sprinkle in alittle Kyle Okposo along with Josh Bailey, Franz Neilsen, Sean bergenheim to name a few as well.

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Dengore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
just a brutal quote for your third post my friend "And besides, without Cody Hodgson feeding him cross crease passes (WJC) who is going to make him look good on the Islanders" Care to look at Doug Weight's career assist numbers? Look at Streit on the Islanders as well, maybe sprinkle in alittle Kyle Okposo along with Josh Bailey, Franz Neilsen, Sean bergenheim to name a few as well.
My bad - I don't know how I could have over looked Sean Bergenheim and a sprinkle of Okposo. Streit is a solid d-man and Weight has been a great player over the years, but his best years are behind him. For a team that has been drafting in the top 10 for much of the last decade, they should have a lot more weapons than the one's you named. They're not setting Tavares up for much success.

Dengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 03:12 PM
rigger

I think Kane is a boom and is better then a lot of people think.

I think Kadri will fail to impress. Maybe a Robert Nilsson type.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Qvist

Well, this is necessarily vastly speculative, all you can do is note where there seems to be particularly dangerous weaknesses. But for what it's worth...

Bust potential

Brayden Schenn - average size, not a great skater, not a scorer - is his style going to translate to a top two lines center in the NHL?

Nazem Kadri - Decisionmaking questionmark is always troubling. Skilled winger who doesn't use his linemates well?

Jared Cowen - Serious knee injury, no other reason

Ryan Ellis - Small is one thing, but also so-so skating and defensively weak? That's an awful lot for any amount of talent to overcome

Zack Kassian - Perhaps not a bust candidate exactly, but how much upside does he really have?

Dmitri Kulikov - the historical record of Russian CHL draftees is in itself cause for worry

Simon Despres - seems to lack any very clear definition as a player, decisionmaking questionmarks

Boom potential -

Tavares, Hedman and Duchene, for obvious reasons

Ekman-Larsson - When the major knock on a player is that he needs to fill out, you've got to like that. By all accounts an excellent combination of traits

Paajärvi-Svensson - I just like the type of player he is, and he seems to me a pretty sure bet with serious upside

Scott Glennie - Seems a really complete player, with a good chance to make a significant impact

Dmitri Kulikov - seems to have the tools to be potentially great, if he manages to become one of the very few europeans to develop well from a CHL background

Louis Leblanc - rumblings of higher ability than emerged on the level he played at sound promising

Chris Kreider - by all accounts, terrific tools

Also, Moore, Schroeder, Ericsson, Palmieri

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Konk

Wow, a lot of boom candidates. In reality there will be much less.

Boom: Kreider, de Haan

Bust: Paajarvi-Svensson, Kadri

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
To be fair, there's no reason you can't try to predict which boom/bust players will boom and which will bust, which may have been the entire point of this thread. Saying someone's boom or bust isn't going out on a limb so much, it's saying which of the two you think they'll end up doing that's the fun part.
but at this point, that seems kind of stupid. All that seems to happen is guys will pick their favorite pre-draft prospects to be "boom" players and their least favorite prospects as "bust" prospects, regardless of where they were drafted in the NHL.

Which is why Moore, Kulikov and Rundblad seem to be on "boom" lists and guys like Schroeder, Ellis, Kane and Kadri are on the "bust" lists.

Maybe it's just me (or history) but, generally the higher a guy is picked...it would appear the better they are going to be? I mean, Kadri right now seemed a reach in June when he went top 10 but...clearly we don't know what the scouts do.

It's just a thinly veiled thread that is worded differently about prospects will bust and which ones will do great when nobody has any idea at this point besides pre-draft bias.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Manny*

Boom:

Duchene
Ellis
Schroeder
Silfverberg
Rajala

Bust:

Hedman
Kane
Leblanc
Tatar

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Hooch314

I really like Krieder. He will be a great player.

Ellis won't be.

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 04:56 PM
BIG BLUE

strange how you have an opinion of Kadri's weaknesses...and you call him a winger...

if you had ever seen him play you'd quickly notice that he lines up to take faceoffs, because he's a center, genious.

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 05:11 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur Team is Jealous View Post
Boom:
Tavares
Hedman
Duchene
Kane
Ekman-Larson
Glennie
Palmieri
Moore
Kulikov
Panik
Ferraro
Rajala

Bust:
Kadri-something does not seem right about this guy, seems soft to me
MPS
Paradis
Caron
Kassian
Despres
I wouldn't call Kadri soft. He is not the biggest and/or toughest guy out there but he can play a gritty game. I don't think Kadri will bust, he can at least become a decent energy type player playing on the 3rd line.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 05:17 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
but at this point, that seems kind of stupid. All that seems to happen is guys will pick their favorite pre-draft prospects to be "boom" players and their least favorite prospects as "bust" prospects, regardless of where they were drafted in the NHL.

Which is why Moore, Kulikov and Rundblad seem to be on "boom" lists and guys like Schroeder, Ellis, Kane and Kadri are on the "bust" lists.

Maybe it's just me (or history) but, generally the higher a guy is picked...it would appear the better they are going to be? I mean, Kadri right now seemed a reach in June when he went top 10 but...clearly we don't know what the scouts do.

It's just a thinly veiled thread that is worded differently about prospects will bust and which ones will do great when nobody has any idea at this point besides pre-draft bias.
Well, yeah, but that's a good chunk of this board anyways.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
strange how you have an opinion of Kadri's weaknesses...and you call him a winger...

if you had ever seen him play you'd quickly notice that he lines up to take faceoffs, because he's a center, genious.
Except for when Hunter played him for a good portion of this season on the wing in London?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 05:33 PM
AlMo

Quote:

Actually Kadri can play center or wing which is another positive as he can be versatile. Actually don't be surprised to see Kadri used as a winger in the NHL.

BTW, you spelled genius wrong

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Saad Panda
Farewell, Starman

Quote:

I agree with everything you said, but you misspelled a very inconvenient word which made this post hilarious

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 05:50 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:

Oh boy...

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 06:29 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post

Aren't the boom/bust types kind of obvious? Players like Ellis or Schroeder with their limited size, or the guys like John Moore who played against "lesser" competition in the USHL, or European players who are haven't played the NA style....I thought the point of the thread was to point out specific players from the high first round who may not be very good (ie bust) or players picked later with considerable upside (boom). Your pointing out that a list of boom/bust players is based on expectations is stating the obvious, is it not?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 06:31 PM
BIG BLUE

I know he's played the wing sometimes...but never when I've seen him on the televised games,
I believe he moved out of necessity because Tavares joined the Knights...
and he's listed as C...
I'm sure now that Tavares is gone he will be a C wherever he plays.

the poster used the term 'by all accounts'...and by his list it looked like he was reading HFboards as opposed to watching hockey games...perhaps I am wrong about that I don't know...but Brayden Schenn will be a bust because he can't skate or score?? and a knee injury in junior means Jared Cowan is likely to bust?

with the 'center' spelling, I am always torn on messageboards, because the Canadian and American spellings are different with words like that...I lean towards the US spelling usually.

Last edited by BIG BLUE: 08-10-2009 at 06:37 PM.
BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Saad Panda
Farewell, Starman

Quote:
I know he's played the wing sometimes...but never when I've seen him on the televised games, and he's listed as C...the poster used the term 'by all accounts'...and by his list it looked like he was reading HFboards as opposed to watching hockey games...perhaps I am wrong about that I don't know...but Brayden Schenn will be a bust because he can't skate or score?? and a knee injury in junior means Jared Cowan is likely to bust?

with the 'center' spelling, I am always torn on messageboards, because the Canadian and American spellings are different with words like that...I lean towards the US spelling usually.
that's not what we're talking about. look closely at the last word in the post.

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 06:40 PM
glovesave_35
Name

come on man, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out....

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote