HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

Mexico Elite Hockey League

Old
05-15-2007, 09:06 AM
otthockeyfan

vCash: 500
Mexico Elite Hockey League

The mexico elite hockey league is a semi pro league that is set to start in 2010.As of now there is one team set and ready to go and that is mexico city.The league will have a min of 4 teams and a max of 6 teams when the 2010 season gets under way in 2010.As of now the league is reviewing 2 other applactions.

otthockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:27 PM
CaliCash

Send a message via AIM to CaliCash Send a message via Yahoo to CaliCash
Wow....I can only imagine how bad the ice will be!

CaliCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 09:01 PM
TheRealKovalchuk*

Send a message via MSN to TheRealKovalchuk*
Quote:
Originally Posted by otthockeyfan View Post
The mexico elite hockey league is a semi pro league that is set to start in 2010.As of now there is one team set and ready to go and that is mexico city.The league will have a min of 4 teams and a max of 6 teams when the 2010 season gets under way in 2010.As of now the league is reviewing 2 other applactions.

TheRealKovalchuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:40 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCash View Post
Wow....I can only imagine how bad the ice will be!
Most likely better than the MSG's.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 05:15 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

I can't see many Mexican's wanting to play or watch hockey. And I happen to know quite a few of them.

This will be a waste of time and NRG..

mazmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 12:53 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Most likely better than the MSG's.
Good one.

I wonder how good this league could be. I hope some decent hockey will be played and that it will gain some popularity.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmin View Post
I can't see many Mexican's wanting to play or watch hockey. And I happen to know quite a few of them.

Seems to me they have a competitive national team and junior team, at least at the Division 3 level. Also seems to me their national team plays a pre-season tour of the Central Hockey League every year. In fact, I'm pretty sure they've won a fair share of those games.

Really, I don't see how this is a bad thing. At the very least if they put teams in the resort cities of Cancun and Mazatlan, there will be enough Canadian and American tourists that might check out a game, that they can be successful. However, I don't think finances is the main reason for this. I think the main reason for creating this league is to further develop Mexican hockey. I'd be willing to guess that within 10 years of this league starting, at least one player will be drafted into the NHL.

Shootmaster_44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 10:34 PM
halfofwhat

Quote:

that's probably the lamest comment i've ever read on these boards.

halfofwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Devs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Seems to me they have a competitive national team and junior team, at least at the Division 3 level. Also seems to me their national team plays a pre-season tour of the Central Hockey League every year. In fact, I'm pretty sure they've won a fair share of those games.

Really, I don't see how this is a bad thing. At the very least if they put teams in the resort cities of Cancun and Mazatlan, there will be enough Canadian and American tourists that might check out a game, that they can be successful. However, I don't think finances is the main reason for this. I think the main reason for creating this league is to further develop Mexican hockey. I'd be willing to guess that within 10 years of this league starting, at least one player will be drafted into the NHL.
Scott Gomez has you halfway there.

I think hockey in Mexico is great. It grows the game and introduces a sport to a fanbase that can be the very definition of rabid.

Devs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 03:23 AM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devs View Post
Scott Gomez has you halfway there.

I think hockey in Mexico is great. It grows the game and introduces a sport to a fanbase that can be the very definition of rabid.
You're right about Gomez, but I was meaning out of this league. By 2020, someone will have been drafted from the Mexican Elite League. I wonder if in the twilight of his career Scott Gomez would consider playing down there? If for no other reason than to create a bit of hype surrounding the league. Isn't that the same reason he went to Alaska during the lockout?

Shootmaster_44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Intern

Quote:

I'm pretty sure they made that tour once, losing one game 14-0 and another by a similar margin, though they managed to score once.

Intern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
The Mexican national team played the Plymouth Whalers of the Ontario Hockey League last summer and lost 12-0.

More details here: http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ead.php?t=3417

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Devs

Quote:
Isn't that the same reason he went to Alaska during the lockout?
He's from Anchorage, Alaska, and the closest he's ever been able to play close to home was Tri-City in the WHL. He played out there to be close to his family and to stay in shape during the lockout.

I think you're being generous by saying that a kid will be drafted out of this league by 2020. If a player is good enough to be drafted into the NHL, I think they would be better served by playing major juniors. The quality of play will need to be markedly improved across the league before it is competative enough for a player to stay there and still be drafted.

Devs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 02:37 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
I can't see many Mexican's wanting to play or watch hockey.
Not at this moment in time maybe.

But that's why you have to have initiative. Doesn't hurt to try. Atleast it appears the people working for Mexican hockey are actually TRYING to grow the game. That's more than USA Hockey does.

I think this is a good idea. When the World Championships (Div. III) were held in Mexico, there was a lot of excitement and enthusiasm for the sport. The atmosphere was soccer-like and incredible and Mexico's own hockey culture was starting to grow.

And I'd trust the judgement of those behind this project that actually live and work in the area than someone from Winnipeg. Even if he does "happen to know quite a few" Mexicans.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 08:30 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:

That is some damn scientific research.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 08:46 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I can see Mexicans liking the game, but I think it has a snowballs chance in hell of ever competing with football, or baseball in that country. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 04:44 AM
P-M Bouchard

Link Gaetz and Igor Majesky(Ivans brother) have played in Mexico.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008421996.html

P-M Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 10:42 AM
BRONX_MADNESS*

there are good athletes everywhere, sure mexico can develop talent but it's not likely to happen till well past 2020 b/c of all the popularity/interest in soccer

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 12:58 AM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
That's great to hear! The Mexican team seems to do pretty well, and from what I've heard there's several Mexican fans who travel to Laredo to watch the Bucks play and there were some other Mexican fans that would do the same thing when the El Paso Buzzards played. The sport will never surpass soccer in popularity, but it doesn't need to for it to succeed.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 11:39 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

If someone gets a hat trick will they throw sombreros on the ice?

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 03:19 PM
otthockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
there are good athletes everywhere, sure mexico can develop talent but it's not likely to happen till well past 2020 b/c of all the popularity/interest in soccer
Most of the players will come from north america and europe.Players will get paid better then some pro team pay.

otthockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 02:53 PM
TXslapshot

Send a message via AIM to TXslapshot
I believe Monterrey is also close to ready to fielding a team. They tried to talk the CHL into adding a team called the Monterrey Toros but failed, now the Toros are a competetive mens team, mainly consisting of canadians working in Mty as well as some mexicans that are catching on to the game. Every tournament ive played in Monterrey was nuts, good lookin crowds for the games, good lookin women in the crowds and good bars for afterwards.

TXslapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

The Central League has loads of Mexican fans and arranged exhibition games between CHL teams and Team Mexico.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Baby Nilsson

I met a mexican man in Puerto Vallarta who was a fan of Gretzky and the Oilers back in the 80's, so at least we know some of them watch the NHL

Also, there was a show that included some sort of fireball hockey in which they played with a ball it on fire. Very cool stuff, some of those guys could really dangle .. not sure if it was a real sport but at least I think it is a twist on an aztec game.

So given their history I think maybe hockey can have some success in Mexico.

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 03:44 AM
Boom Boom Bear

This is such a totally cool idea, I'm really glad to see the sport spread into Mexico.

The CHL should explore the possibilty of franchise start-ups in border towns, they'd make history if it could stick.

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote