HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shirokov to Vancouver

Old
08-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Steveorama

vCash: 500
Capgeek shows Shirokov as signed with the Canucks to a 2 year ELC for $1.1 million per year including bonuses.
Base salary is $850K per year.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/displ...id=80669&pos=F

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:02 PM
tadadonk

Sergei Shirokov By the canucks

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=287979

Looking forward to to him...

tadadonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Gorgeous George

Any idea on the contract length, and whether or not it is a two-way deal?

For those of you who have watched him play, what type of points can this kid put up for Vancouver this season and 2-3 years down the road?

Gorgeous George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:29 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson View Post

For those of you who have watched him play, what type of points can this kid put up for Vancouver this season and 2-3 years down the road?
It has to be two year two way as it's an entry level deal.

It's only just now official. He could have gone to Sweden or something.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson View Post

2 year deal, 2 way, 850,000 salary with potential to be 1,350,000 after bonuses according to Cap Geek.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:51 PM
number 19

take that KHL!

number 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 02:18 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDA8J...eature=related
I liked that guy better.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 02:44 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

While the signing has been known for a while it would seem it's only become official today. So technically the thread is valid.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:28 PM
tadadonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
While the signing has been known for a while it would seem it's only become official today. So technically the thread is valid.

Yea amazing isnt it!! We even have a moderator making jokes...Isnt flaming kinda against the rules?? I thinks thats kinda classless of him to do it....Makes all the other mods look bad too...but each to their own.

tadadonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Warren Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
All the other signings capgeek broke were considered official here.

Warren Piece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 08:14 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
i am a little confused whether he would have to serve his suspension if he were to come back to the KHL. What I heard, don't quote me, is that if he were to come back to KHL prior to 28, he would have to sign with CSKA and serve at least 1/2 a year suspension which could be a year on league's discretion.
There's no "take that KHL" here, his preference was to play in the KHL just for more money that CSKA could possibly offer. Most likely he wanted to go to Salavat where Bykov now coashes.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 10:18 PM
particularsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
i am a little confused whether he would have to serve his suspension if he were to come back to the KHL. What I heard, don't quote me, is that if he were to come back to KHL prior to 28, he would have to sign with CSKA and serve at least 1/2 a year suspension which could be a year on league's discretion.
There's no "take that KHL" here, his preference was to play in the KHL just for more money that CSKA could possibly offer. Most likely he wanted to go to Salavat where Bykov now coashes.
gillis said on the team 1040 today that they were trying to get him over as early as the end of last year (to play in manitoba). he definitely made it sound like shirokov's first choice has always been vancouver, it was just a matter of navigating the legal minefield. then again, this is the canucks GM talking so take it for what it's worth.

particularsolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 11:47 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
So you think that his signing with the Canucks is just a way to get out of his contract with CSKA so he can sign in Salavat? Or am I misinterpreting your post?

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 12:10 AM
VladNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
So you think that his signing with the Canucks is just a way to get out of his contract with CSKA so he can sign in Salavat? Or am I misinterpreting your post?
That was his intention, but i think he played with fire and got burnt and now has no choice but to play in the NHL.

VladNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 12:10 AM
BIG

Quote:
Well Sergei had said himself he preferred to play in the KHL, but obviously would rather play in the NHL than under Nemchinov (CSKA coach). I think what he was speculating was is Shirokov playing off his suspension/waiting for UFA status here, or will he have to sit out a year if he returns to the KHL.

BIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 12:20 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
That was his intention, but i think he played with fire and got burnt and now has no choice but to play in the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
Well Sergei had said himself he preferred to play in the KHL, but obviously would rather play in the NHL than under Nemchinov (CSKA coach). I think what he was speculating was is Shirokov playing off his suspension/waiting for UFA status here, or will he have to sit out a year if he returns to the KHL.
Ah, I see, so will he return to the KHL next year then or is he stuck in Vancouver longer than that?

Old
08-18-2009, 12:24 AM
VladNYC

Quote:
Ah, I see, so will he return to the KHL next year then or is he stuck in Vancouver longer than that?
I think to him, it's Vancouver or bust now.

Old
08-18-2009, 12:45 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
I think to him, it's Vancouver or bust now.
Wow, I can't imagine if things don't go well after his initial contract is finished he won't go back to the KHL, regardless of the ramifications. I hope he succeeds obviously but having never seen him play an entire game I have no clue if he's even close. I know Gillis is high on him but that's his job.

Old
08-18-2009, 12:49 AM
VladNYC

Quote:
Wow, I can't imagine if things don't go well after his initial contract is finished he won't go back to the KHL, regardless of the ramifications. I hope he succeeds obviously but having never seen him play an entire game I have no clue if he's even close. I know Gillis is high on him but that's his job.
I mean his other choice is to go back to CSKA and to be suspended for a whole or half season. i am sure he will do everything to make sure he doesn't have to come back before he is 28.

Old
08-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883

^

I can't believe it's been that long...can't believe it...
I remember watching the T.V. at the 2005 World Juniours in awe at the skill level the Russians had. The taunting that followed and the famous "shhhh" from a particular Russian which made many hockey critics angry. I thought to myself what happen to this Russian a-hole that insulted team USA after a 7-2 victory.....Who was he?

Well I found him... . However since i'm now a Canucks fan I hope Shirokov will succeed and perhaps even "SHHHHH" all the other teams. [

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:44 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post

^

I can't believe it's been that long...can't believe it...
I remember watching the T.V. at the 2005 World Juniours in awe at the skill level the Russians had. The taunting that followed and the famous "shhhh" from a particular Russian which made many hockey critics angry. I thought to myself what happen to this Russian a-hole that insulted team USA after a 7-2 victory.....Who was he?

Well I found him... . However since i'm now a Canucks fan I hope Shirokov will succeed and perhaps even "SHHHHH" all the other teams. [
This picture is from Canada/Russia challenge after he scored the winning shootout goal vs QMJHL.

Ovechkin & Malkin were taunting the Americans in that 7-2 win.

ViD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

This kid has guts I tell you what. I wish him the best.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:32 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
my understanding is that he is suspended just for one year from the KHL, but playing in the NHL does not extend that suspension - only that he can't play in the KHL during that year, but he is free to play anywhere else.... which makes complete sense as there is no transfer agreement between the KHL and NHL anyways, so him playing in the NHL should have no impact to his suspension at all.

The other thing to consider here is that he is signed to a 2yr contract with the Canucks - not one year (which is of course stipulated by the ELC in the NHL). And while there is no transfer agreement, the NHL and KHL have already said in the past (I believe in response to the Radulov situation) that after that signing, both leagues would honor contracts that were signed by the players - so technically Shirokov can't go back to the KHL until at least after his 2yr commitment to the Canucks is done... and even though he will be a RFA after that 2yrs, because he has no contract in place, he would be free to sign in the KHL (like we just saw with Hudler's situation).

Although I'd guess that if he doesn't make the Canucks, and isn't part of their plan next year, the Canucks would allow him to go back to Russia, than spend the 2nd year of that contract in Manitoba - again if he can't make the team.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Although I'd guess that if he doesn't make the Canucks, and isn't part of their plan next year, the Canucks would allow him to go back to Russia, than spend the 2nd year of that contract in Manitoba - again if he can't make the team.
I'd agree.

There really isn't much risk of Shirokov bolting back to Russia. If he breaks-out in the NHL (say 50-60 points) next year then he's 'made it', and he'll be paid accordingly - just can't see him going back.

If he just can't handle North American ice then he'll head back to Russia anyways, and like you said the Canucks will just let him go.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 01:22 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
actually before signing with Vancouver he said, that the bridge between him and Nemchinov was mended.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote