HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Heatley to Buffalo discussions

Old
08-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens13 View Post
Sabres rumoured to have offered Derek Roy, Danny Paille, and Tyler Myers. I find that hard to believe.

Link: www.senschirp.ca
Wow....have you read anything in this thread? Or how about like 10 posts back>

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
There's no way it's true. Any deal (though a deal will never happen) would be Pominville+ or Stafford+, with the latter more likely. It would be extremely difficult for the salaries to work out without Pominville being involved in the deal; $8 million is a lot for a team like Buffalo to take on.
Now this is a surprising response from a Sabre fan. I value Pominville and Stafford alot more then just salary. I thought Buffalo had the cap space to fit Heatley as it is.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens13 View Post
Sabres rumoured to have offered Derek Roy, Danny Paille, and Tyler Myers. I find that hard to believe.

Link: www.senschirp.ca
I don't. Value-wise, it's pretty spot on for a player of Heatley's calibre. What does Murray have to worry about-Heatley coming back to haunt the Sens since he's with a division rival? I don't think Heatley's that mentally tough. What I do question is Heatley going to a city like Buffalo. It doesn't seem to fit his criteria. San Jose still seems like the best fit, and is where I think he'll end up.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Captain_Cunney

I think Ottawa would prefer Ennis to Myers anyways, we need prospects up front a hell of alot more than the back end.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 12:50 PM
sabresEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
If there's any prospect that is setup to fail, it's Myers. He was brutal at the WJC, he's brutal at camp. It'll be interesting to see what he can do against guys that are faster and stronger than he is.
Brutal at the WJC. Thats way many said he was arguably Canada's best dman. Did one swedish player even get around him in the gold medal game?

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Now this is a surprising response from a Sabre fan. I value Pominville and Stafford alot more then just salary. I thought Buffalo had the cap space to fit Heatley as it is.
Buffalo is already at or over their self imposed cap BEFORE we signed Grier and without having signed Stafford yet (at least another $2.5 Million probably more).

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 12:57 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Buffalo is already at or over their self imposed cap BEFORE we signed Grier and without having signed Stafford yet (at least another $2.5 Million probably more).
You spend over budget for Heatley. And the deal includes Stafford, so it puts you guys like 3 above your cap. I'm sure 1mil could be cleared somehow. Not saying this will happen, but I don't think spending a bit over budget will be the pivotal point in this... The revenue surge you would get by adding Heatley would more than make up for the slight overspending.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
You spend over budget for Heatley. And the deal includes Stafford, so it puts you guys like 3 above your cap. I'm sure 1mil could be cleared somehow. Not saying this will happen, but I don't think spending a bit over budget will be the pivotal point in this... The revenue surge you would get by adding Heatley would more than make up for the slight overspending.
That's not how teams like Buffalo operate.

Buffalo needs more than just one piece right now. Heatley isn't the answer. Especially when trading Heatley could mean Paul Gaustad is your #2 center.

Old
08-11-2009, 01:03 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I am thinking Golly is letting the Sabres spend to the cap this season. The Sabres are spending money and have nothing in place to clear money. Maybe Golly is seeing how much money he truly makes on this team and is giving some back. Not to mention all the money he is saving by money to Florida.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
I am thinking Golly is letting the Sabres spend to the cap this season. The Sabres are spending money and have nothing in place to clear money. Maybe Golly is seeing how much money he truly makes on this team and is giving some back. Not to mention all the money he is saving by money to Florida.
It's possible. Maybe he switches to Geico for the hat trick of savings as well

Old
08-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Pyke*

As an Avalanche fan first (and Senators fan second), I really am not crazy about the rumoured deal with Buffalo.

I like Tyler Myers. I think he will be an all-star defenseman, but Derek Roy does not add to our team (see: Jason Spezza and Mike Fisher), and Dan Paille is not in the same ballpark. I'd be much happier with a deal involving Pominville and Stafford (as opposed to Roy and Paille)....

Alternatively, I'd not mind going to the Sharks who seem to have the best package on the table and, have the benefit of being in the other conference. Failing that, keep Heatley.

Just my opinion though.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
As an Avalanche fan first (and Senators fan second), I really am not crazy about the rumoured deal with Buffalo.

I like Tyler Myers. I think he will be an all-star defenseman, but Derek Roy does not add to our team (see: Jason Spezza and Mike Fisher), and Dan Paille is not in the same ballpark. I'd be much happier with a deal involving Pominville and Stafford (as opposed to Roy and Paille)....

Alternatively, I'd not mind going to the Sharks who seem to have the best package on the table and, have the benefit of being in the other conference. Failing that, keep Heatley.

Just my opinion though.
Roy is signed for less money than Fisher though. That's incredibly attractive.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post

Just my opinion though.

I am glad we agree. As a Sabre fan I want to keep Myers and ROY here. You can have Stafford and Pominville, throw in Gerbe/Paille too.

We would probly need another winger to replace Stafford and Pominville. Got an extra 2nd/3rd line winger we can include?

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 01:33 PM
4thliner*

Sabres offer is BY FAR the best offer out there for many reasons. Roy is a great 2nd line center and would be perfect behind Spezza. He is also from Ottawa. He is under sized but he is only 26. He scored 30 goals and 81 pts and 28 goals 70 pts his last 2 seasons in the NHL. He is not the player Heatley is (not many are) but he is the best center piece off any offer so far. Myers is an elite prospect even if Ottawa has 3 other elite Dman prospects (was only couple of spots ranked behind guys like Karlsson by THN). You can never have too many elite prospects even at the same position. You can try to trade Myers for an elite forward prospect if you want. Paille isn't much other than for salary reasons.

The trade is Roy and Myers for Heatley.

The only thing is Ottawa would have to trade a 28 year old superstar signed for 5 more years with in their division. But for that value back, I would do it. If he does not wanna go to Buffalo and veto's the 2nd offer on the table in a row, then just don't trade the guy.

What ever the deal DO NOT TAKE Cheechoo as your top 6 guy comming back even if Vlasic is included and other minor spare parts as speculated. If Michalek isnt comming along with Vlasic, you hand up the phone and don't waste any time till the Aug 14 deadline Murray set. If Heatley is not moved by Friday then don't move him at all. It's almost time for training camp to get underway.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 01:36 PM
thepublichairs

buffalo has the perfect prospects/players needed to make the trade, but i don't think it will happen.

thepublichairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Sabres offer is BY FAR the best offer out there for many reasons. Roy is a great 2nd line center and would be perfect behind Spezza. He is also from Ottawa. He is under sized but he is only 26. He scored 30 goals and 81 pts and 28 goals 70 pts his last 2 seasons in the NHL. He is not the player Heatley is (not many are) but he is the best center piece off any offer so far. Myers is an elite prospect even if Ottawa has 3 other elite Dman prospects (was only couple of spots ranked behind guys like Karlsson by THN). You can never have too many elite prospects even at the same position. You can try to trade Myers for an elite forward prospect if you want. Paille isn't much other than for salary reasons.

The trade is Roy and Myers for Heatley.

The only thing is Ottawa would have to trade a 28 year old superstar signed for 5 more years with in their division. But for that value back, I would do it. If he does not wanna go to Buffalo and veto's the 2nd offer on the table in a row, then just don't trade the guy.

What ever the deal DO NOT TAKE Cheechoo as your top 6 guy comming back even if Vlasic is included and other minor spare parts as speculated. If Michalek isnt comming along with Vlasic, you hand up the phone and don't waste any time till the Aug 14 deadline Murray set. If Heatley is not moved by Friday then don't move him at all. It's almost time for training camp to get underway.

if I were a Sens fan this would be my exact attitude.

As a Sabre fan, I just can't give that much up for Heatley. I just really don't think I can. <aybe help us out by taking tallinder off our hands, or maybe add a center. Cause we can't be taking on Heatleys salary and opnly dumping Roy's anyways.... and without Roy we would be F'd at center

Old
08-11-2009, 02:00 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
I am glad we agree. As a Sabre fan I want to keep Myers and ROY here. You can have Stafford and Pominville, throw in Gerbe/Paille too.

We would probly need another winger to replace Stafford and Pominville. Got an extra 2nd/3rd line winger we can include?
I think everyone would rather have Roy than Pominville. Their stats over the last 3 years are similar and they are both 26, Pominville is little bigger too, but Roy is just the better player and he is a center. Ottawa already has Alfredsson and Kovalev at RW. Pominville would be their 3rd unless he can play LW just as well. You almost always take the center ahead of the winger if they are similar, and I think Roy is just the better and more skilled player besides their similarities. On top of that Ottawa has never really had a legit 70+pts scoring 2nd line center to back-up Spezza. Roy would do that long term. He is also from Ottawa and born there.

To say that Drew Stafford has been underwhelming since his promising 40+ games audition rookie season 3 years ago would be an understatement. Only a fool would rather have him than an elite prospect like Myers. If Ottawa isn't too thrilled about adding a 4th elite blue-chip type Dman prospect to their system, well then try top swing a deal with a team with a highly ranked blue chip forward prospect looking for stud type dman prospect instead. A lot of team value elite dman prospects than elite forward if they are relatively close. Some Ottawa fans might be down on Myers (why cuz they got a # of elite proepcpects at D already?) but he is still a blue chip top 10 level prospect. Taking the Sabres best forward prospect over Myers just cuz you have Cowan, Karlsson, and Weirchock would be a mistake. You take the better talent regardless of organizational needs.

Old
08-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
I think everyone would rather have Roy than Pominville. Their stats over the last 3 years are similar and they are both 26, Pominville is little bigger too, but Roy is just the better player and he is a center. Ottawa already has Alfredsson and Kovalev at RW. Pominville would be their 3rd unless he can play LW just as well. You almost always take the center ahead of the winger if they are similar, and I think Roy is just the better and more skilled player besides their similarities. On top of that Ottawa has never really had a legit 70+pts scoring 2nd line center to back-up Spezza. Roy would do that long term. He is also from Ottawa and born there.

To say that Drew Stafford has been underwhelming since his promising 40+ games audition rookie season 3 years ago would be an understatement. Only a fool would rather have him than an elite prospect like Myers. If Ottawa isn't too thrilled about adding a 4th elite blue-chip type Dman prospect to their system, well then try top swing a deal with a team with a highly ranked blue chip forward prospect looking for stud type dman prospect instead. A lot of team value elite dman prospects than elite forward if they are relatively close. Some Ottawa fans might be down on Myers (why cuz they got a # of elite proepcpects at D already?) but he is still a blue chip top 10 level prospect. Taking the Sabres best forward prospect over Myers just cuz you have Cowan, Karlsson, and Weirchock would be a mistake. You take the better talent regardless of organizational needs.
Stafford might be taking a bit longer than expected to hit his stride, but he definately showed signs last season he's the real deal. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a 30/30 guy this year. Excellent size and a lot of dangles.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Selanne00008

My #1 reason for wanting Roy over Poms is contract. Roys is sexxxxxy. Poms based on his last year is overpaid.

I agree with Ottawa taking Myers if they could get him. Who cares what you have in the pipeline. Its just like taking the best available first round pick you can take regardless of position. In the later rounds is where you fill gaps.

Old
08-11-2009, 02:11 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I think Ottawa would prefer Ennis to Myers anyways, we need prospects up front a hell of alot more than the back end.
Wrong way to look at it. When it comes to prospect trades/drafting never go for the organizational need. Take the best player, Myers is the the top Sabres prospect hand down.

Old
08-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Moskau

The problem with dealing Roy is that it defeats the purpose of acquiring Heatley in the first place. Vanek and Heatley in a teams top 6 instantly makes it one of the top 5 in the league. That's great. Is Tim Connolly (30 games) and Paul Gaustad supposed to be feeding them?

If Buffalo made an offer it includes Pominville and not Roy. I can almost guarantee you that. Pominville + Player + Prospect/Pick

Buffalo acquires Heatley, sends back near contract value and re-signs Stafford.

Heatley - Roy - Stafford
Vanek - Connolly - Training Camp All-Star

Probably one of the best Top 6 in the league. Which is why Ottawa would hesitate.

Roy and Heatley have amazing chemistry as well. Someone no one on the Sabres have with each other.

I hate Heatley with a passion though.

Old
08-11-2009, 02:41 PM
HSF

Buffalo would have to offer a tad bit more than market value since they ARE DIVISION RIVALS (Heatley is actually an effing beast again division rivals except boston)

I dont find it hard to believe that they offered this, since adding a player of Heatley's calibre is a BIG jump forward and all they give up on roster is Roy....

Maybe Buffalo has a plan in place not just to aquire Heatley but also another top six forward (like the newly rumoured Horton)

Also it has been rumoured that Murray really likes this deal and has told Heatley that right now his options are limited, i am guessing Heatley will wait and see

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
The revenue surge you would get by adding Heatley would more than make up for the slight overspending.
Buffalo *already* has attendance of 99+%.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Selanne00008

Vanek - Horton - Heatley =o

No way this could ever ever happen. no way. no. I dont even wanna talk about this no more.

Pominville, Gerbe, Tallinder, pick = Heatley

Stafford, + ____? = horton?

Old
08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
SenatorArmy

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy
Pretty sure Heatley would change his mind about Edmonton before going to Buffalo. Won't ever happen.

SenatorArmy is online now   Reply With Quote