HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Heatley to Buffalo discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-13-2009, 01:26 PM
  #176
HSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
But Buffalo 1st round pick sounds more appealing to me, they could potentially have a bad season.

Phillips, Volchenkov, Kuba, Campoli, Picard
Cowen, Karlsson, Lee, Wiercioch

All could be/are Top-4 D-men... that's 9 guys for 4 spots already. I'd rather have forward prospects now. Murray wanted to draft a forward, but changed his mind because Cowen was still available!

And in Buffalo POV, they really Myers for the future, need to rebuild their defense.
i rather have Myers or Kassian, these guys are going to be very good players and are players that dont come along every draft year

they bring a lot of intanglibles to the table, and also they would be closer to stepping in then drafting someone next year

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 02:49 PM
  #177
4thliner*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,135
vCash: 500
Ottawa has alreay paid out 14 mill up front towards Heatley's 42 million 6 year deal. 10 mill last season alone and 4 additional million this July. It is a front loaded deal.

Heatley making essentialy 6 million dollars actual salary paid out for the next 5 years is like gold to the Buffalo Sabres. Remember teams liek Buffalo have their own self imposed cap which they will not surpass and don't spend up to the cap ceiling anyway. The 7.5 cap hit is pretty much meaningless to a team that values the actualy dollars coming out of their pockets for service rendered and don't want to spend up to the 55+ million cap.

Plus they are in the same division.

In conclusion, this makes a lot of sense.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 03:05 PM
  #178
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Ottawa has alreay paid out 14 mill up front towards Heatley's 42 million 6 year deal. 10 mill last season alone and 4 additional million this July. It is a front loaded deal.

Heatley making essentialy 6 million dollars actual salary paid out for the next 5 years is like gold to the Buffalo Sabres. Remember teams liek Buffalo have their own self imposed cap which they will not surpass and don't spend up to the cap ceiling anyway. The 7.5 cap hit is pretty much meaningless to a team that values the actualy dollars coming out of their pockets for service rendered and don't want to spend up to the 55+ million cap.

Plus they are in the same division.

In conclusion, this makes a lot of sense.
What are you talking about?

After this year he will make 8mil, 8mil, 6mil and then 5mil. It would be asinine for the Sabres to take on that contract because of the carnage it would do to their roster.


Last edited by joshjull: 08-15-2009 at 03:14 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 03:20 PM
  #179
TheHMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
What are you talking about?

After this year he will make 8mil, 8mil, 6mil and then 5mil. It would be asinine for the Sabres to take on that contract because of the carnage it would do to their roster.
If the Sabres picked him up today, they'd be obligated to pay:

4M (09-10), 8M, 8M, 6M, 5M.

Averages to 6.2M paid per year for the remainder of his contract. That's a bargain in terms of dollars paid. That's what he was saying.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 03:25 PM
  #180
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
If the Sabres picked him up today, they'd be obligated to pay:

4M (09-10), 8M, 8M, 6M, 5M.

Averages to 6.2M paid per year for the remainder of his contract. That's a bargain in terms of dollars paid. That's what he was saying.
I'm well aware of what he meant and what it averages is utterly irrelevant

What matters is what he is paid in actual salary each year.

The Sabres base their payroll on actual salaries. Trying to fit Heatley's 8mil in salary each of the next two seasons after this one (10/11 and 11/12) would cause a ****load of problems.


They would have to jettison players and salaries beyond the ones used to acquire him in order to keep him beyond this coming season. He isn't worth it, not by a long shot.

I hope this makes my point clearer.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 03:59 PM
  #181
4thliner*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm well aware of what he meant and what it averages is utterly irrelevant

What matters is what he is paid in actual salary each year.
What are you talking about, 6.2 mill averages is 6.2 mill average. It doesn't matter if you pay 1 mill this year and 8 million next and so on. Total is still 9 million out of your pocket, get the logic.

If your argument is in one of those years the 8 mill will create cap problems as the teams payroll going over the cap ceiling, then I can see where you are coming from. Anything other than those 2 logical reasons makes no sense in your part.

If the Sabres were not interested the rumored offer wouldn't have come out since it is a division rival we are talking about, very unlikely place Ottawa would trade one of their best players to unless if was for substantial return and Heatley agrees to it, which as it is being said he didn't.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:18 AM
  #182
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
What are you talking about, 6.2 mill averages is 6.2 mill average. It doesn't matter if you pay 1 mill this year and 8 million next and so on. Total is still 9 million out of your pocket, get the logic.

If your argument is in one of those years the 8 mill will create cap problems as the teams payroll going over the cap ceiling, then I can see where you are coming from. Anything other than those 2 logical reasons makes no sense in your part.

You're talking about the average cost of the deal (6.2mil) and I'm talking about the year to year roster building impact of having an 8mil salary to fit into their budget two of the 5yrs of the deal. A budget that isn't usually isn't going to be as high as the upper salary limit.

He makes 4mil this year which wouldn't be that hard to make room for. But next season (10/11) and the year after (11/12) Heatley will be making 8mil. In those seasons the Sabres will have to try and figure out a way to accomodate that amount of money. In all likelyhood they would have to sacrifice quality of depth in those years in order to swing that 8mil. That would be on top of whoever they traded to get him. IMO He isn't worth it.


Quote:
If the Sabres were not interested the rumored offer wouldn't have come out since it is a division rival we are talking about, very unlikely place Ottawa would trade one of their best players to unless if was for substantial return and Heatley agrees to it, which as it is being said he didn't
Which rumored offer?

The one with Roy and Myers that makes no sense what-so-ever from a Buffalo p.o.v.

Or the unknown one with Myers and ?. Since someone claiming to be in the know said Roy isn't part of the deal.

If Heatley ends up in Buffalo (which I highly doubt for a variety of reasons). It will probably be because the asshat Larry Quinn decided to meddle on the hockey side of things yet again. Darcy is too conservative (and smart) to make any of the deals I have seen on here.


Last edited by joshjull: 08-16-2009 at 09:27 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.