HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick/Shaft question

Old
08-09-2009, 09:12 PM
DevsFan84

vCash: 500
Stick/Shaft question

I have a one90 pro stick. Its for a left hand shooter, and I shoot right. I have no need for a stick like this, and I'd like to turn it into a shaft if possible. My question is...is it possible? I know how to install a new blade, but where do I cut on the shaft?

Also, what kind of blade (tapered, non) would i need?

Thanks

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

IF you were to do it you would use a standard blade but it wont perform the way it is amde to when you cut it

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:23 PM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
IF you were to do it you would use a standard blade but it wont perform the way it is amde to when you cut it
Yeah, thats fine. Since I don't shoot lefty, its seriously completely worthless to me.

Although, it is an Eric Rasmussen model...if anyone would like to celebrate his stellar NHL career with this piece of memorabilia....anyone? No? Ok, I'll turn it into a shaft.

Old
08-10-2009, 12:56 AM
evgeni71

If you can locate the fuse point (most one-pieces are just a blade and a shaft fused together and then painted over), you can cut the lefty blade off and insert a tapered blade where the original blade began, thus not altering the flex of the stick.

There's a lengthy discussion on this over at modsquad, http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...showtopic=7494.

Cheers and good luck.

evgeni71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 01:02 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

yea its kind of tricky to do it, you probably will have to pick some of the tenon out of the hossel of the shaft

if you want to put a standard blade on it you will need to cut above the fuse point

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 09:45 AM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
If you can locate the fuse point (most one-pieces are just a blade and a shaft fused together and then painted over), you can cut the lefty blade off and insert a tapered blade where the original blade began, thus not altering the flex of the stick.

There's a lengthy discussion on this over at modsquad, http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...showtopic=7494.

Cheers and good luck.
Thanks for the link, I appreciate it.

The one90 is a true one piece stick though

Old
08-10-2009, 11:41 AM
evgeni71

That's odd, but I'd still give a shot at cutting it where it looks like you could insert a taped blade in, and then chisel out the graphite inside. A tapered two piece performs a lot better than a flipped stick.

If that doesn't work, your only option is to stick a standard blade on the butt end.

EDIT: Or put the stick up on craigslist/sell it to a friend. You should be able to get $80-100 for a One90, and for that price you can get a closeout 7K or V10 that matches your stick alignment.

Old
08-10-2009, 03:58 PM
DevsFan84

I was actually going to sell it, but honestly...I was just bored and wanted a project.

Here is what I did:

I chopped blade off the stick. I cut it a little longer than the size of a regular senior shaft would be, just in case. The opening was really, really small and also was roundish instead of square. Also, there is metal reinforcement inside. I don't know if it is because its a pro stock or if other one90's have it as well.

I went to the rink and grabbed a cheap wooden blade (easton) I went home and used a knife to get the glue off, and then used a belt sander to round off and thin out the part that goes into the shaft. Once I got it to fit, i installed it just like a regular blade.

I'm going to try it out at a stick and puck tonight and see how it works.

Old
08-10-2009, 06:06 PM
evgeni71

Neat, let us know how your elliptical tapered shaft works.

Old
08-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
I was actually going to sell it, but honestly...I was just bored and wanted a project.

Here is what I did:

I chopped blade off the stick. I cut it a little longer than the size of a regular senior shaft would be, just in case. The opening was really, really small and also was roundish instead of square. Also, there is metal reinforcement inside. I don't know if it is because its a pro stock or if other one90's have it as well.

I went to the rink and grabbed a cheap wooden blade (easton) I went home and used a knife to get the glue off, and then used a belt sander to round off and thin out the part that goes into the shaft. Once I got it to fit, i installed it just like a regular blade.

I'm going to try it out at a stick and puck tonight and see how it works.
It won't work. The second you take a slapshot, it's broken. Wooden blades have some reinforced fibers through the hosel and you shaved them off.

Believe me, I've done it before.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 10:26 PM
DevsFan84

On the contrary...so far, so good. I only used it once but I was ripping shots for two hours and its solid as can be.

Old
08-11-2009, 12:03 AM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Hey good job, I was just kinda being nosy, and well what you did was pretty neat contrary to what debby downer over there thinks (yes rented mule I am talking about you). Hope your stick works out great for you.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote