HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

CBC's Ten Most Violent Hockey Incidents

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 11:48 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

vCash: 500
You don't hear much about the Bure on Churla elbow to the head in the 1994 p-off's. WOW. One of the dirtiest pre-meditated-stalking hits i've ever seen. There was a lot of talk about it at the time but the sensivitity level was SO much lower then than it is now. I don't even think Pavel got one game for it.

Old
04-03-2004, 10:02 AM
sema4512

I don't think it would have happened in college hockey. I don't think NCAA hockey would have allowed Jesse to develop the behavior that eventually led to this. He would have been made to modify his pattern of play long before it ever came to this.

OMG, this guy shows his intelligence and bias right there. Does he really think that there is that much different in the NCAA? It's called Bowling for Columbine, watch it. One incident does not make a trend.

Old
04-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Tretiak

Well, I can't say that I am suprised, this list was done by the CBC afterall. By far, the number one worst evidence of on-ice hockey violence has to come from Gary Suter during the 1987 Canada Cup, where he used his stick to make Andrei Khomutov's head into a baseball. He cut him right across the face for 37 stiches.

Old
04-03-2004, 12:07 PM
Mithras

If you've never seen the footage of Richard trying to kill Laycoe, find it and watch it. The CBC made a documentary about the riots with the footage in it.

Anyone that says that stick work is worse now than it was in the bygone - Golden era of hockey has never see this tape.

Richard was cut, very intentionally and very proffesionaly (the guy knew exactly what he was doing and did it really well). Richard wanted revenge. It was totaly premeditated. Richard BROKE his stick over the guys head. He skated around the big scrum, away from the refs and was handed another stick by one of his team-mates. He BROKE that one over the guys head. The fact that he punched a ref in the face doesn't even factor into it for most people.

McSorley klapped a guy on the side of his head, the guy fell, his helmet came off and he got hurt. Dispicable, and McSorley is a pariah as he probbaly should be. But at the end of the day, he really didn't hit Brasear all that hard, yes hard enough but it wasn't a baseball swing or anything. Richard on the other hand his a guy OVER THE HEAD hard enough to break his stick. TWICE!

Sucker punches are terrible. Flying elbows are dispicable, esp when they are pre-meditated. But what RIchard did should have been attempted murder. It was attempted murder, but he was The Rocket.

Old
04-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Zednik

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast
after so many F'ing people made such a huge deal about it.
Another classy Nucks fan

Old
04-03-2004, 01:24 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by sema4512
I don't think it would have happened in college hockey. I don't think NCAA hockey would have allowed Jesse to develop the behavior that eventually led to this. He would have been made to modify his pattern of play long before it ever came to this.

OMG, this guy shows his intelligence and bias right there. Does he really think that there is that much different in the NCAA? It's called Bowling for Columbine, watch it. One incident does not make a trend.
Lol, I love it. Reaming the writer for making a stupid remark and then supporting your own stupid standpoint with an entirely left wing movie as evidence. Not that America doesn't have a problem with volence, we do, but it is not as bad as portrayed by the media or people like Michael Moore (A man with ZERO credibility). Anyhow, that's off topic but I take offense when people imply that the U.S. is a place where violence is overly predominant, it's simply not the case. And yes, I've seen the CBC reports on violence in America, those are laughable too.

Old
04-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
How does this fail to make the list, it would appear to be far worse than McSorley's stick swing?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea...2/inside_look/
I agree Boulerice should have been on the list, instead of Kugel absolutely losing it. I understand CBC probably didn't want to include too many obscure (outside the hockey community) incidents. Kugel never attacked anyone with a weapon and in the end he really didn't do too much damage.

Quote:
8. Jeff Kugel runs wild in OHL game (Slapshot Part Deux)
I think Brandon "Sugar" Sugden getting a life time ban (since lifted) for hitting a lady in the crowd with his stick during an ECHL game better exemplifies slapshot.

Old
04-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

"Dishonorable" mention should also go to the Canada-Czech Republic game at the '97 World Championships in Finland.

Old
04-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Does any of those acts top this??

http://www.sportal.com.au/league.asp?i=news&id=9703

(warning)

Old
04-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Does any of those acts top this??
This has to be a joke.

Something is REALLY wrong with that guy.

Old
04-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
How does this fail to make the list, it would appear to be far worse than McSorley's stick swing?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea...2/inside_look/
Jesse Boulerice... the guy should've never been allowed to play anywhere ever again...

Old
07-12-2004, 07:27 AM
Tretiak

http://www.wewantthecup.com/Videos/NHL/CheapShots.wmv

Old
07-12-2004, 09:22 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretiak
good clip, thanks. Still cant stand that draper incident. That sucked everything out of the team and they lost the game. And whats worse was after the incident, giving interviews Claude uttered the infamous line "At least I made him famous"

that in my mind was worse than the hit. And I strongly believe that line was what lead to the March 26th Brawl [and subsequent one in the play-offs]

Odd factoid, but the wings never lost a game when there was a brawl during the great colorado\detroit rivalry of the late 90's early 00's. There were 3 or 4. 2 in the regular season and 2 in the play-offs. [or 2 and 1] And the wings won every game.

Last edited by X8oD: 07-12-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Old
07-12-2004, 06:08 PM
futurcorerock

May be slightly OT, but this has to be the most violent hockey incident in the NHL, ever:

http://www.ubersite.com/m/32313

Old
07-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
May be slightly OT, but this has to be the most violent hockey incident in the NHL, ever:

http://www.ubersite.com/m/32313
It was an accident though.

Old
07-12-2004, 06:44 PM
futurcorerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer 93
It was an accident though.
Yeah - but it still doesnt negate the fact it was violent. It was on broadcast tv.

Old
07-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Teemu

Despite all of the bad **** that has happened to this hockey club, every single day, I have been proud to be a Blackhawks fan. Every single day, that is, except for one. The one day I was embaressed to be a Blackhawks fan was Gary Suter's cheapshot on Paul Kariya. It sickens me to even think of it. I never thought it was possible for my least favorite player to be on MY team, but from that moment forward, I hated Gary Suter with all of my heart.

Old
07-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Papa Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast
What exactly is the reasoning behind that?
If they wanted to send a message to the kiddies they may as well have added it. I dont think Clarkes chop should have been on the list, even though it was pritty nasty and an embarrasment to the country of Canada.

Old
07-12-2004, 09:56 PM
detredWINgs

God if you think Bertuzzi was bad, you must be either be very forgetful or you need to brush up on your hockey history. I wouldn't even put Bertuzzi in my top 25. No Blood, no baseball swings or tamahawk chops. Bertuzzi was baby stuff. Not only that, but if Moore hadn't broken his neck, Bertuzzi's hit wouldn't even be in the top 50.

The only reason we don't hear about some of the bloodier moments in hockey history is because a ton of them happened before all games were televised and they couldn't just blast them over the internet.

Old
07-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
God if you think Bertuzzi was bad, you must be either be very forgetful or you need to brush up on your hockey history. I wouldn't even put Bertuzzi in my top 25. No Blood, no baseball swings or tamahawk chops. Bertuzzi was baby stuff. Not only that, but if Moore hadn't broken his neck, Bertuzzi's hit wouldn't even be in the top 50.

The only reason we don't hear about some of the bloodier moments in hockey history is because a ton of them happened before all games were televised and they couldn't just blast them over the internet.
You make some strange comments, but well, you should know better than I. Ho, labeling Bertuzzi's sucker rock swing, wow I wouldn't label that baby stuff. The act itself, while not overtly violent, is pretty brutal. You must live in a war torn place or down my neighbourhood to make statements like that!
Why do many posters on this board think they've seen Eddie Shore play? They always reminisce freshly about the 50's as if they'd stepped into a time machine. Are you guys over 70?

Old
07-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1
You don't hear much about the Bure on Churla elbow to the head in the 1994 p-off's. WOW. One of the dirtiest pre-meditated-stalking hits i've ever seen. There was a lot of talk about it at the time but the sensivitity level was SO much lower then than it is now. I don't even think Pavel got one game for it.
A $500 fine, but there were mitigating circumstances (it was retaliatory).

That game was one of the most bizarre things I've ever witnessed. So much **** went down that wasn't called. Bure wasn't penalized, and he was getting Churla back for a bunch of stuff he did earlier in the game that also wasn't called (elbows, high sticks, etc). Easily the worst officiated game I have ever seen.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:35 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
The fact that the Clarke slash is on there is laughable.

That play only happens a few times a week in the NHL.
Except the players aren't trying to break the players ankles.

Old
01-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Tretiak

Can someone please explain to me how guys like Perezoghin and Brashear get criminal investigations for what they did but Gary Suter gets a 5-minute major for this (last link in the post):

http://www.russianjerseys.com/ubb/ul...055;p=1#000006

Old
01-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
You make some strange comments, but well, you should know better than I. Ho, labeling Bertuzzi's sucker rock swing, wow I wouldn't label that baby stuff. The act itself, while not overtly violent, is pretty brutal. You must live in a war torn place or down my neighbourhood to make statements like that!
Why do many posters on this board think they've seen Eddie Shore play? They always reminisce freshly about the 50's as if they'd stepped into a time machine. Are you guys over 70?
Not 70, but not that far off.

No, I have to agree with detredWINgs in his assessment that Bertuzzi's incident would be way down on the list of both violent and intent to injure NHL incidents. I'd even consider the Bertuzzi/Chelios stick battles during the Canucks/Wings playoff games were worse than the Bertuzzi/Moore incident. In today's NHL, most of the dirty play in the game is hidden so as not to be called for a penalty. In the past, it was far more in the open. This doesn't mean that violence should be condoned, but for the most of it, the Bertuzzi/Moore incident occurred as it did after Bertuzzi lost his temper when he couldn't induce Moore into a more traditional fight. Bertuzzi plays tuff & aggressive, but he's not known as a dirty player. The Bertuzzi/Moore fight has been used far more then it should by the media because the violence was not hidden as most violence is in today's NHL and it made for great media attention when sold to the public as a David & Goliath story. Anyone old enough to remember the Broad Street Bullies will recall the violence they brought to every game. Some on that team made Bertuzzi look mild. In that team's heyday they ruled by intimidation, but that intimidation was earned. Clarke was one of the dirty players on that team, but by no means the worst. Over the history of the Canucks, Hilliard Graves was probably one of the dirtiest Canuck players I have seen. He didn't have the size of a Lindros, Mario, Stevens or Bertuzzi that could push opposing players out of the way & establish position, so like many smaller fringe NHLer's, he established his presence in the NHL in other ways. It often looked like he definitely tried to put opposing players out of the game with his centre ice hip checks. That type of player is not uncommon in today's NHL either, but Bertuzzi isn't one of them. Moore on the other hand did seem to be developing into that type of player. The type that may not intend to injure or play dirty, but you always should keep your head up when he's on the ice. Also, the type of player that the opposing team's enforcer or bigger players often try to let know that there will be retrobution if that player runs their star players or goalies.

Last edited by Hi-wayman: 01-03-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old
01-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
What about Ted Lindsay, he was in his 3rd year during Howe's rookie season?
I think there needs to be SOME kind of size limit to be considered a "power forward". Lindsay was 5'6 and weighed 150 soaking wet.

Dont get me wrong, Lindsay was a terrific player. But a power forward? I dont think so.

Closed Thread