HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do you watch hockey in HD or SD?

View Poll Results: Which one?
SD 27 24.11%
HD 70 62.50%
Both 15 13.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I'd agree that HD will bring a lot of good to hockey, more than other sports. But that's not my point in my previous post where I want to say that the picture quality of HD hockey is not as good as other sports.

The bigger the TV, the more differences between channels/sports you will notice. I find myself lucky to have a 60" TV, so I can clearly see the differences. Unfortunately, the PQ of hockey is way inferior to football and baseball.

Everytimes I watch football on Amercian channels or baseball on Sportsnet, I'm always jealous, envying them. I wish one day hockey can match their PQ.

Facts that explain why hockey PQ is inferior to other sports:
- fast action
- the white of the ice
- the camera and equipment ??? I'm just guessing. Football and baseball have HD at least 2 years before hockey. And we may lag in technology ?

The good news ? Hockey PQ can be greatly improved.
Seems like we are watching different things as I just don’t have any issues with the PQ for hockey vs. other sports (I will give you the fast action in hockey can challenge the new HD TV’s…as in refresh rates) Again, IMO it comes down to who (network) is producing the event over what event they are producing
Although football and baseball went to HD before hockey, the cameras and production equipment tend to be made by a handful of companies that all the networks buy from.
As an example, the regional Fox sports networks in the states show baseball, basketball and hockey with the same equipment. Doesn’t make sense the PQ would be different for any of the sports.
Now, I will give you this, the production quality DOES vary from sport to sport, but that can be blamed on the networks throwing more money towards the bigger sports (in the states) then they spend on hockey.
Just my 2 cents…I am in no way an expert in this subject.

PS...After reading your post again is sounds like we are talking about US networks PQ vs. Canadian network PQ. Will go with your take as I don't see much Canadian TV down here in San Diego (only see HD games that get shown on the NHL Channel)

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
hahah its ok that you don't have an hdtv, but you don't need to justify your reasoning by saying its not that much of a big difference. I guess you keep trying to convince yourself of that so you don't have to spend the $$$ to upgrade, but it is a HUGE difference!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
C'mon, don't be like that.

If you spent a week watching games on HD with a 60 inch TV in the same spot you're in now, you'd never question the "HD fascination". Definitely enjoy the TV you have now, you're still way better off than most people.
Don't get me wrong, I know HD is better. I've watched games on HD before and I still didn't find it was worth replacing my 60 inch screen with a HD one. I'm not trying to justify anything, I'm just saying that I don't get all this "HD fascination". Yes it's better, but my eyes won't bleed if I watch a game in SD. I guess I'm a bit old school.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:12 AM
euphrates

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/13/bes...ake/index.html

ahhh to bad or else i would be watching hockey in hd this season

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:54 AM
Garo

SD. Never even thought about getting an HDTV.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote