HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Las Vegas new ECHL Coyotes Affiliate

Old
08-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Z4dfence

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Z4dfence
Las Vegas new ECHL Coyotes Affiliate

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=nhl-home-dl

more fuel for conspiracy theory about moving to Vegas

Z4dfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Yeah, I was kinda hoping it would be Las Vegas cause I'm partial to that area a bit, but then I remembered all the rumors and stuff.

Coyotes and the Sundogs still have an affiliation, don't they? With the stacked farm team we have, combined with sharing SA with the Ducks having another team to send players to counldn't hurt.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 06:53 PM
PDX Coyotes

There's a conspiracy theory about the Coyotes moving to Vegas? I hadn't heard that one (granted I haven't been keeping up as much as I used to...) but I don't believe that Vegas could support an NHL team, even with all the L.A. transplants.

PDX Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 07:01 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearafter View Post
There's a conspiracy theory about the Coyotes moving to Vegas? I hadn't heard that one (granted I haven't been keeping up as much as I used to...) but I don't believe that Vegas could support an NHL team, even with all the L.A. transplants.
rt has a great rant floating around somewhere about how Vegas is a waste. Today, JR cleared the way for his bid to win by agreeing with SOF. I don't think the team will be leaving anytime soon, even with an out clause, if JR gets his money making machine off the ground.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 10:55 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Yeah, I was kinda hoping it would be Las Vegas cause I'm partial to that area a bit, but then I remembered all the rumors and stuff.

Coyotes and the Sundogs still have an affiliation, don't they? With the stacked farm team we have, combined with sharing SA with the Ducks having another team to send players to counldn't hurt.
I'd be all for the Coyotes making the Dogs and the Wranglers their primary affiliates.

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 11:10 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensteel71 View Post
I'd be all for the Coyotes making the Dogs and the Wranglers their primary affiliates.
I don't think that would work, you need to have the AHL level of play available in order to develop prospects.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:03 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensteel71 View Post
Why would you want to split your prospects among two AA hockey teams to be your primary affiliate over having them together on one AAA team? Your top prospects would not be playing together and they would be playing against inferior competition, neither of which is good for development.

That said, I am not sure about the CHL, but the ECHL has a salary cap and there is no way that you could stock an ECHL roster with AHL players and stay under the cap. (Edit: the CHL does have a weekly salary cap like the ECHL).

The CHL site still makes reference to the Coyotes/Rampage being the Sundogs affliate, so I'm assuming that's current. Along those lines, the Coyotes seem to have a glut of goaltenders so they may very well need an AHL team and 2 ECHL teams for them alone (speaking of, I'm curious to see how Gistedt performs in his sophomore season).

Either way, I'm not sure how signing an ECHL affiliation deal with the Las Vegas Wranglers fuels the fire for any rumor that the Coyotes are headed to Sin City.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

I think the Sundogs affiliation is over. There's no mention of the Sundogs on the Coyotes website anymore.

Old
08-14-2009, 03:25 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

I've been to a Wranglers game. They actually have a pretty good following.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:15 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
I think the Sundogs affiliation is over. There's no mention of the Sundogs on the Coyotes website anymore.
From a Q&A with Brad Treliving just posted on the Mutts' site:

Quote:
Q: Please explain why the Coyotes cut ties with the Arizona Sundogs of the CHL and signed an affiliation agreement with the Las Vegas Wranglers of the ECHL.

A: "We had a positive relationship with the Sundogs the past two years and they have a good organization in Prescott Valley. Our switch to Las Vegas will allow our prospects to compete head to head with other NHL team’s young prospects and enhance their development. In addition, the Wranglers have established a strong, professional program in Las Vegas so we feel this will be an excellent fit for us.”

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

That's kind of surprising since Triveling was the President or something of the Central Hockey League before being hired by Don.

Personally.. I'm more of an ECHL guy myself. Although I would still love to see a Sundogs game.

Old
08-14-2009, 06:53 PM
pelts35.com

It will be interesting to see what happens with all of the goalies. By my count don't they have 5 potential minor league goalies?

Old
08-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Kaizen

I only count 3 - Tordjman, Montoya and Gistedt - am I missing somebody?

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
I only count 3 - Tordjman, Montoya and Gistedt - am I missing somebody?
I think he's thinking of Mike Lee, Scott Darling, and Brett Bennett as being in the mix for a contract as well.

Old
08-18-2009, 03:54 PM
PhoPhan

LaBarbera?

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:02 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
LaBarbera?
Nah, the backup job is his to lose. Montoya would have to have the camp of all camps to get LaBarbera on the bus to San Antonio.

Old
08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
PhoPhan

I disagree. I tend to think LaBarbera was only brought in to give Montoya a bit of pressure to perform as the backup, knowing his history of complaceny. Without someone pushing him, Montoya doesn't exert himself. With someone like LaBarbera, maybe he'll work harder. It was a short stint last year, but in it Montoya showed that he can be (though not necessarily is) a better goalie than LaBarbera. If he can play half as well as he did in that stint, the job is his.

Old
08-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Hordichuk_24

LaBarbera wasn't signed for a million bucks to play in San Antonio. Prior to signing LaBarbrea I thought Montoya should be the back up heading into this season, but I doubt that will happen now.

Hordichuk_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
I think he's thinking of Mike Lee, Scott Darling, and Brett Bennett as being in the mix for a contract as well.
AFAIK none of those guys are turning pro. Dunno, maybe pelts just had a brainfart?

Old
08-18-2009, 06:02 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24 View Post
LaBarbera wasn't signed for a million bucks to play in San Antonio. Prior to signing LaBarbrea I thought Montoya should be the back up heading into this season, but I doubt that will happen now.
It's a sunk cost at this point. If Montoya is the better goalie, why wouldn't you play him?

Old
08-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
It's a sunk cost at this point. If Montoya is the better goalie, why wouldn't you play him?
If Montoya is the better goalie the Coyotes should keep him as the back up. However I don't think that is in the plans unless he's quite better by a large margin. I didn't like the LaBarbera signing from day one but I don't see them paying him a million bucks to play in the AHL when they could have just kept Montoya.

Old
08-18-2009, 07:04 PM
PhoPhan

And my point is that if signing LaBarbera makes Montoya a better goalie (and I argue it could and probably will), it'll be worth it regardless. Moreover, if Montoya is better, he'll push Bryzgalov to actually be on the top of his game, too. Everybody wins.

Old
08-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
And my point is that if signing LaBarbera makes Montoya a better goalie (and I argue it could and probably will), it'll be worth it regardless. Moreover, if Montoya is better, he'll push Bryzgalov to actually be on the top of his game, too. Everybody wins.
I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm merely stating I don't expect Montoya to be with the Coyotes for much (if any) of this season. LaBarbera was brought in to back up Bryzgalov. Not to play in San Antonio.

Old
08-19-2009, 08:08 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
AFAIK none of those guys are turning pro. Dunno, maybe pelts just had a brainfart?
My mistake I thought at least of the group that one was turning pro.

Old
08-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Kaizen

Will Montoya pass through waivers?

Another team might grab him and give him a look.

7 and a quarter is not big money for a backup. Maybe the Flames grab another GMDM waiver wire bargain?