Old
09-11-2009, 07:50 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve141 View Post
Just some one more note to help you understand the dynamics of the league:

A key difference between the NHL and the SEL is the relegation threat. The two teams that finish last in the league risk being relegated to the Allsvenskan (second tier league) if they can't beat the top teams of the Allsvenskan in a mini-tournament. This means that every game of the regular season counts, even for the bottom teams. Usually makes the last rounds of the season really exiting.
I like the idea of a Kvalserien. It's a great screen for the Allsvenskan, to make sure that teams have the financial clout and ability to attract talent to get promoted and be successful. Although, there are times when it feels pointless since the Elitserien teams have a tendency to walk all over most of the Allsvenskan teams. A lot of football leagues could use something like this to avoid a situation like Derby County.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I like the idea of a Kvalserien. It's a great screen for the Allsvenskan, to make sure that teams have the financial clout and ability to attract talent to get promoted and be successful. Although, there are times when it feels pointless since the Elitserien teams have a tendency to walk all over most of the Allsvenskan teams. A lot of football leagues could use something like this to avoid a situation like Derby County.
OK. but you do have a difference of 1M vs. 20M SEK before the season even starts for a team in the HA vs. the SEL. Given what you can do with that money alone, the SEL teams better **** up in ways I can't even imagine for a HA team to realisticly have a prayer.

In that sense, I see "Kvalserien" being quite a pharse. The resources are all stacked in the SEL teams favor... and I can just hear some drama queen spilling comments such as "it's all supposed to be settled on the ice," bla-bla, when in indeed most elite sports have more to do with what goes on leading up to the games.

The Swedish expression, "Skyddad verkstad" comes to mind.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Firewagon

great thread!

i am trying my best to follow SEL from Canada in English.

are there any highlight shows or game video in English on the internet?

are there any English newspapers or sports websites that cover SEL in depth?

Firewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
Skellefteå is NOT the 6th ranked team in SEL like Tomas W wrote in his post. They're probably 9-12....just so ju don't blow your money on them
Actually i agree with SAIK somewhere around 6-8, MoDo on the other hand is definitely not top4 if we gonna talk about misplacing teams in the standings. Among the worst teams when it comes to goaltending, too. The chance i could see they get top4 is if Forsberg stays healthy and continues in SEL, but that's an extreme long shot.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Ribban

Södertälje seems to be a bit in over their heads at this point. Anyone know about the financials in that club? I suppose there are a few good men out there without contracts if the pockets are deep enough, and considering how people's lockers are cleaned out over night in the KHL, more might become available. Anway, unless SSK does something drastic, they look like the bottom feeder in the SEL for sure .

Rögle seems to be playing their @sses off, which in hockey is a key ingredient, and more important than skill, IMO. They lost the Abbots and Kinny, amongst others, but a hard working team can go pretty damn far, especially if the opponents approach the game with a slight bit of arrogance. I guess it boils down to for how long they can exert the energy they showed off against the "ball club." Not so sure they will be in kvalserien because of that.

What's the deal with Modo? I suppose two points against VF at home and HV71 & DIF on the road isn't going to get the coach fired and make headlines about "Team Crisis," as VF, DIF, and HV are all considered contenders. But, the media have haussed PF to the heavens in the same three games. Has he really been that good or rather meant that much to Modoäs performance? If that is the case, WTF is Modo's plan when he retires or flies across the pond? It seems as if Modo might be batteling with Rögle to stay out of Kvalserien without Forsberg if one were to trust the Swedish media... then again.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:20 PM
zacherly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBreaker View Post
great thread!

i am trying my best to follow SEL from Canada in English.

are there any highlight shows or game video in English on the internet?

are there any English newspapers or sports websites that cover SEL in depth?

You and me both, although I plan on moving to Sweden and can read some Swedish, so that helps.

But this is pretty helpful

http://www.hockeyligan.se/index.php?lang=en

Decent coverage in English. There are links to highlights from each individual teams' highlights as well.

You can also check out various newspapers such as aftonbladet, dagens nyheter and gp.se for instance. You can click on "sport" and "ishockey", which will take you to various scores and what not. I can pick out the scores and some general stats usually (but again, I also study Swedish, but I think even if you didn't you could probably at least get some info.)

I snagged this off of nhl.com a while back, it could help you in reading about games in Swedish.

* Mål: Goal
* Målvakter: Goaltender
* Målpass: Assist (use of the word "assist" is also common)
* Poäng: Point
* Back: Defenseman
* Utespelare: Position players
* Numerärt övlerläge: Man advantage ("powerplay" is more common)
* Box spel: Penalty kill
* Klubba: Stick
* Handskar: Gloves
* Skridskor: Skates
* Straffläggning: Penalty shot or shootout attempt
* Slagsmål: Fight
* Utvisning or Straff: Penalty
* Utvisningsbåset: The penalty box

I've found that most SEL games I watch they usually just say "Powerplay" and "assist", but someone who speaks better Swedish than I do might tell you that they use Målpass and Numerärt Överläge as well.

I hope that can be of some help!

zacherly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Son of Krypton

No, målpass would not be something you hear everyday.
It's usually assist or passning, or just pass.
Now, the last two are used for regular passes as well, so sometimes you'll hear the expression målgivande passning (lit. goal-giving pass) instead.
Målpass, however, sounds weird to me.

And penalty killing is most often called boxplay (not the more Swedish-sounding boxspel).
Or numerärt underläge (lit. numerical disadvantage), which just means short handed.

EDIT:
And yes, to answer your question, numerärt överläge is a very common expression.

Son of Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:28 PM
zacherly

I do hear "Pass" a lot too, now that you mention it. Målpass always sounded weird to me too, I'm glad it isn't used very often haha

Thanks for the clarification on numerärt underläge/overläge too, I'll have to listen for it next time I watch a game. If I may ask, would Numerärt Overläge mean "Numerical Advantage" then?

zacherly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacherly View Post
If I may ask, would Numerärt Overläge mean "Numerical Advantage" then?
That would be the literal translation, yes.

Old
09-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Son of Krypton

Överläge and underläge are compound words, where läge means position or situation (while över and under should be pretty self-explanatory).
So if you are i underläge, you're the underdog, and if you're i överläge you're getting the upper hand.

You'll also hear these words when a team is down or up by one goal or more.
As in de hämtade upp ett 0-3-underläge och kvitterade i andra perioden (they rallied from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game in the second period).

And of course, you could also tappa ett 4-0-överläge i tredje perioden (lose a 4-0 lead in the third period).
But it won't happen to my team this season.

Last edited by Son of Krypton: 09-29-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Accidental double post, so this is the best I could come up with!
Old
09-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Firewagon

awesome...really appreciated.

i am listening to commentary on highlights of Skelleftea games. Are they pronouncing it "Helleftyo"? And Linkoping "Lynshoeping"

Old
09-30-2009, 05:20 AM
Raggamuffin

Sheleftyou.

Raggamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:04 AM
Firewagon

Really? I have been watching highlights, and the announcer seems to be leaving out the "sh".

Old
09-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Son of Krypton

Quote:
Really? I have been watching highlights, and the announcer seems to be leaving out the "sh".
Well, the "sh" sound, which we call sje-ljud, is a bit tricky.

Firstly, there's many ways to spell it.
sju (seven), skön (beautiful/nice), stjärna (star), choklad (chocolate), station (station), diskussion (discussion), etc.

Secondly, it's pronounced differently in different parts of Sweden, and some people will pronounce it one way in one word and another way in another word...

Generally, though, in the north of Sweden (including Skellefteå), it's a pretty distinct "sh" sound.

Further south, it tends to be more of a "ch" sound, but not like the typical English "ch" sound.
I'd say it's more like the Spanish "j" in a name like Jorje, which English-speakers tend to pronounce Hor-hay.
Which might explain why it sounds like Helleftyo to you.

The "k" in Linköping is the so-called tje-ljud.
Much like the sje-ljud, there's more than one way of spelling it (kj, tj, etc.), but the pronounciation doesn't vary as much.
It's pretty close to the English "ch" sound (as in cheap, for example).

Old
10-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Firewagon

Son of Krypton...really appreciated.

Old
10-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Firewagon

is there an SEL website that shows ice time statistics?

Old
10-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Padan

Quote:
is there an SEL website that shows ice time statistics?
http://www.hockeyligan.se/index.php?lang=en

Padan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Ciccarelli

Learning swedish is hell, the language just doesn't make any sense, it's probably harder than japanese. Hell.

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:42 PM
james bond

How may Stockholm area team is there? Is it hard to get tickets for Djurgargen?

james bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 07:52 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
How may Stockholm area team is there? Is it hard to get tickets for Djurgargen?
Djurgården in Elitserien and AIK in Allsvenskan. No it's rarely sold out.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 11:54 AM
james bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Djurgården in Elitserien and AIK in Allsvenskan. No it's rarely sold out.
Is there a development facility for either club? Where do these teams develop their younger-junior players?

Old
10-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Son of Krypton

Södertälje (SEL) is also in the Stockholm area (Stockholm County).
It's a one-hour trip by commuter train, and somewhat faster by car.
Getting there is not a big problem, but travel time might be an issue, I guess.
Tickets should be easy to come by, since Södertälje has the worst attendance record in the league.

Djurgården, on the other hand, is playing well at the moment.
And combined with the abysmal performance of the Djurgården soccer team, this has led to an increase in attendance.
While it's rarely sold out, you'd be wise to purchase your tickets ahead of time if you want good seats.

Old
10-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
Is there a development facility for either club? Where do these teams develop their younger-junior players?
I'm not sure about "development facilities", but AIK's U-18 and U-20 teams usually play their home games in Ritorpshallen, a small venue in Solna.
While Djurgården's junior teams play at Hovet, the home ice of both Djurgården's and AIK's senior teams.

As for development, we also have smaller clubs like Huddinge (relegated from Allsvenskan last year), supplying the bigger teams with talent, whether they like it or not.

Old
10-11-2009, 01:02 PM
james bond

Thanks. I was wondering more about the 9-13 age groups as this is when most athletes (olympic at least, or so I read) develop their skills.
Is there any websites for the aforementioned clubs?

Goteburg and Djurgarden are supposed to be 2 of the top 10 development clubs/systems in the world.

Old
10-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Man, us DIF fans can't catch a break in this forum Why did you feel the need to bring up the football team in a thread about hockey? One day it's Foppa drawing the crowd at Hovet (Coincidentally it just happened to be the DIF home premiere) now the crowd is there because of the football team sucking.

It's always crap like "Top teams plus DIF plan to leave the SEL" with some people.

Mesta mästarna! And don't you lot forget it

Sorry but I needed to vent.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote