Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

Need Some Help With SEL

Old
10-23-2009, 07:10 AM
KRM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Krypton View Post
I'd say Luleå is a Pittsburgh/Chicago/Edmonton amalgamation.
* It's a "Steel City" (the original logo is known as the Man of Steel, and the players are often referred to as "men of steel").
* It's a "Windy City" (it's one of the city's nicknames, and some people even call it "the city of four winds", since every which way you turn, there seems to be headwind).
* It's the northernmost team in the league.
Though it was more about the feel of the team, not the city. But Pittsburgh actually fit quite well, won something during the 90's and two young superstars leading the team (well not any longer...).

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Most teams did some logo change back in the 90's, Luleå were first with their bear, then came HV (Blue Bulls), Färjestad (Wolves), Malmö (RedHawks) Södertälje (Lightning), Leksand (Stars), Rögle (Griffins), Djurgården (Lions, Kings), Timrå (Red Eagles), Brynäs (Tigers), Västerås (Eagles), Frölunda (Indians), etc.

Yeah, what were they thinking? At least there is a connection to the bear in Luleå, even though their old logo was so much more original and plain awesome.
Djurgården Lions.. wtf has a lion to to with Stockholm or an Indian to do with Gothenburg? Some of the other ones are just lazy choices.. Stars, Lightning.. "Hey, I saw this cool logo the other day.."

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 08:31 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
Yeah, what were they thinking? At least there is a connection to the bear in Luleå, even though their old logo was so much more original and plain awesome.
Djurgården Lions.. wtf has a lion to to with Stockholm or an Indian to do with Gothenburg? Some of the other ones are just lazy choices.. Stars, Lightning.. "Hey, I saw this cool logo the other day.."
nicknames that have to do with the teams or cities? that would be fun indeed.

malmö danes
leksand chokers
frölunda payrollers
djurgården footballers

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
nicknames that have to do with the teams or cities? that would be fun indeed.

malmö danes
leksand chokers
frölunda payrollers
djurgården footballers

Hehe.. All I'm saying is that if you're gonna get one of those cool American sounding team names, I think they work best when there's some kind of connection between the city and the name. Names like Edmonton Oilers, Ottawa Senators, Washington Capitals make sense. And names like The Maple Leafs, Canadiens are fine too. But Frölunda Indians just don't make any sense at all.

Hmm..

Frölunda Shrimps
AIK Pests
Skellefteå Bachelors
Malmö Porridge
Luleå Solar Eclipse

Old
10-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Though it was more about the feel of the team, not the city. But Pittsburgh actually fit quite well, won something during the 90's and two young superstars leading the team (well not any longer...).
Yeah, I haven't been able to follow the NHL that closely, so I just went with what I know.
I would have loved for Luleå to be reigning champions, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
Yeah, but a bear that looks like a walrus is pretty original.
And I hate those red and yellow flares that apparently are supposed to symbolize the northern lights.

They still have the old logo on the left shoulder of their yellow jerseys, though.
Just wish they could get rid of that stupid bear.
Quote:
Djurgården Lions.. wtf has a lion to to with Stockholm or an Indian to do with Gothenburg?
Well, we have lions on Sweden's coat of arms, and with Stockholm being the royal capital, it kinda makes sense.
And they did have lions on the island of Djurgården back in the 18th century.
The "Lion Plains" are still there by the Nordic Museum.

As for Gothenburg - it's the Wild West, innit?

Son of Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:

Yeah, but a bear that looks like a walrus is pretty original.
And I hate those red and yellow flares that apparently are supposed to symbolize the northern lights.

They still have the old logo on the left shoulder of their yellow jerseys, though.
Not that my opinion is worth more than anyone else's, but I work as a graphic designer and personally I think that the old one is a hundred times better and more interesting than the new one. It's one of the best Swedish sports logos of all time. Perfect symmetry and has an original feel too it.
They replaced it with some boring cartoonish, generic crap that looks like something you've seen a thousand times.
And I definitely agree.. those flames or whatever they are don't even look anything like northern lights. That's just what some advertising agency's salesman tells you to justify the ridiculous costs of a generic cartoon logo of a walrus that's supposed to be a bear.

Epic logo

Appalling logo

Quote:
Just wish they could get rid of that stupid bear.
Well, we have lions on Sweden's coat of arms, and with Stockholm being the royal capital, it kinda makes sense.
And they did have lions on the island of Djurgården back in the 18th century.
The "Lion Plains" are still there by the Nordic Museum.
Yeah there's a connection there I suppose. Good spot, but still with basically every single nation/state having a lion or two in their coat of arms, I still don't see any clear connection.
And with the Finns having this whole identity built up around the Lion I dislike it heavily. Just stick with the shield. It's enough and it's a classic. Apparently it's the strongest Swedish sports brand, so why mess with it? Good thing they abandoned it.

Quote:
As for Gothenburg - it's the Wild West, innit?
Good point bruv. In a way. But I'm not really feeling it