HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smid/Brule inked (Smid 1.3/yr, Brule 0.8/yr)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-12-2009, 12:07 PM
  #26
BlueChipper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I like Brule.

I thought he was really beginning to play well (that breakaway goal he had was sick ... great speed) before we had to send him back to the A because of his waiver eligibility issues.

He's pretty good in the face off dot too, I think he's a worthwhile project for sure.
He's small, but the best thing I love about Brule is that he plays bigger than 95% of our roster.

BlueChipper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:08 PM
  #27
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 25,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChipper View Post
He's small, but the best thing I love about Brule is that he plays bigger than 95% of our roster.
Agreed, Brule deserved more games, Pouliot far less but we couldn't do it because of the waiver thing.

As for Smid's offense -- for our sake it might be for the best he isn't racking up a lot of points (especially gravy 2nd assists) just yet. It'll keep his price down, hopefully, and he brings other aspects we need desperately.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:11 PM
  #28
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Who do you think he's going to replace there?
IF the rumours are true that the Oilers are looking to move one of their big contract defencemen, then obviously a spot opens up for someone.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:13 PM
  #29
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Agreed, Brule deserved more games, Pouliot far less but we couldn't do it because of the waiver thing.
Why not?

If he's good enough, waivers shouldn't matter because you don't need to send him back down.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:14 PM
  #30
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 25,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Why not?

If he's good enough, waivers shouldn't matter because you don't need to send him back down.
The whole thing was though was that he needed to play in the AHL last year because the general consensus was Columbus rush him into the NHL too fast. So if we lost the ability to send him back to the AHL we'd be taking that option completely off the table because no way would he clear waivers.

That was basically the problem.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:17 PM
  #31
oilerdiehard16
 
oilerdiehard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
This is awesome news. I definitely think that Smid can move into that number 4 slot right now. Although it pains me to see a $2.7 M defenseman as our 5th D-man, it has to be done in terms of development. But that means that we need to move out a big contract defenseman which will help the salary issues and hopefully will address the size in the forward ranks issue.

oilerdiehard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:20 PM
  #32
okgooil
Registered User
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerdiehard16 View Post
This is awesome news. I definitely think that Smid can move into that number 4 slot right now. Although it pains me to see a $2.7 M defenseman as our 5th D-man, it has to be done in terms of development. But that means that we need to move out a big contract defenseman which will help the salary issues and hopefully will address the size in the forward ranks issue.
where did this come from, if so that has to be 2.7 for both years, which would be about right.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:22 PM
  #33
okgooil
Registered User
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Agreed, Brule deserved more games, Pouliot far less but we couldn't do it because of the waiver thing.
As for Smid's offense -- for our sake it might be for the best he isn't racking up a lot of points (especially gravy 2nd assists) just yet. It'll keep his price down, hopefully, and he brings other aspects we need desperately.
I don't see that at all, I really like MAP. he reminds me of horcoff, the thing about him is he just gets better every year. He has a good head on his shoulders and just seems to get better every year.

Brule is a good project as well, but he just seems to have no consitancy, which MAP has.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:23 PM
  #34
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,507
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
where did this come from, if so that has to be 2.7 for both years, which would be about right.
He is talking about Staios.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:26 PM
  #35
BlueChipper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
Staios really needs to stay int he bottom 6. I pray to god that this coaching staff will implement a good system where our wingers get back to retrieve the puck.

i don't know if I can watch Staios do his patented "Blindly slap the puck around the boards" move anymore. He buckles under pressure.

BlueChipper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:37 PM
  #36
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,682
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
IF the rumours are true that the Oilers are looking to move one of their big contract defencemen, then obviously a spot opens up for someone.
Yup, that's exactly what I meant to imply. Souray, Vis, Gilbert and Grebs are simply too much $$$ on defence when Staios is eating up $2.7M, and a skilled faceoff/scoring forward is required.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:47 PM
  #37
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
The Oilers Best
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,440
vCash: 500
Any ideas on the $'s for these deals?

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:52 PM
  #38
4th_Liner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerdiehard16 View Post
This is awesome news. I definitely think that Smid can move into that number 4 slot right now.
blatant over-rating.. smid right now is a fringe nhler and i think he'll stay that way..

brule on the other hand can and should be developed into marchant..

4th_Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:55 PM
  #39
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th_Liner View Post
blatant over-rating.. smid right now is a fringe nhler and i think he'll stay that way..

brule on the other hand can and should be developed into marchant..
Interesting conclusion.

Smid has at least shown progress over his time in the NHL... Brule has not.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
  #40
okgooil
Registered User
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Interesting conclusion.

Smid has at least shown progress over his time in the NHL... Brule has not.
As it stands Smid>Brule.

If Smid is a border line NHL player then Brule is a AHL player.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
  #41
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,716
vCash: 500
Happiest news of the Summer for me is a contract longer than a year for Smid.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:20 PM
  #42
sync
BECAUSE...REASONS!!!
 
sync's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,078
vCash: 500
let's not forget smid was a top 10 draft pick.

i think the potential is there.

good signing.

sync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:21 PM
  #43
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
I like Smid but he needs to be tougher all the time, not just after the whistle
Your argument seems to be about 2 seasons too old. I mean did you watch him last season? He was doing exactly that and doing it a lot more before the whistle than afterward. The kid had 93 hits in 60 games last season. He had a few real beauties that I recall at the opposing teams blue line.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:26 PM
  #44
Calamus
Registered User
 
Calamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
I am very happy smid is signed for two years. I am also dying to know what the dollar figures are.

Calamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:53 PM
  #45
OntOilFan
Registered User
 
OntOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
let's not forget smid was a top 10 draft pick.
So was Rico Fata.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
  #46
OntOilFan
Registered User
 
OntOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Happiest news of the Summer for me is a contract longer than a year for Smid.
That's a pretty sad summer ...

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
  #47
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??
 
Ol' Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
So was Rico Fata.
And Fata and Smid are even remotely comparable in what sense?

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:56 PM
  #48
OntOilFan
Registered User
 
OntOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
And Fata and Smid are even remotely comparable in what sense?
Obviously, not very ... the point being that if being a top 10 pick is the best reason that poster could come up with to resign the player, it's not a very good one.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 02:08 PM
  #49
Peak Oil
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamus View Post
I am very happy smid is signed for two years. I am also dying to know what the dollar figures are.
It might depend if he's envisaged as a part time 4th line LW to add some jam. That added jam would come at a price, I tell you.

Peak Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 02:22 PM
  #50
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Obviously, not very ... the point being that if being a top 10 pick is the best reason that poster could come up with to resign the player, it's not a very good one.
No one said that. The best reason to resign Smid is that he is a big, mean, good skating, smart, young defenseman who has showen improvements in his game even though he was rushed a bit into the NHL. If he played for Detroit he would have been in his rookie season last year and people around the league would be raving about him.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.