HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Frolov for Souray

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2009, 02:57 PM
wabwat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
What? Do we just borrow back and forth from each other when convenient?
Shirley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
It would be more like Frolov and a 3rd or Souray and Sturm
that wouldn't exactly be a bad deal.

Old
08-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I think it's fair to say that any "rumor" regarding the Kings is a stretch at best. Lombardi has shown since he's gotten here that he keeps things quiet. Who would have thought we were getting Williams and Smyth? Both of those trades came out of nowhere and they were our biggest trades since Lombardi has been GM.

Malkin to the Kings, Souray to the Kings.....not buying it, sorry.

Old
08-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
LW isn't a strong position in the NHL so I don't know why people make a big deal out of us being a little weak there. Souray would help our PP a great deal but he makes too much. I'd like to see DL add a guy who can play the point on the 2nd PP unit.
So using your reasoning, why would the Kings be interested in trading their left winger who puts up good numbers every season when it is a position that most teams in the league cannot get good scoring production from?

Old
08-12-2009, 04:44 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
So using your reasoning, why would the Kings be interested in trading their left winger who puts up good numbers every season when it is a position that most teams in the league cannot get good scoring production from?
They can use an upgrade at more important positions such as a #2 center and a good defenseman to run the PP. Being strong at LW isn't a key to a contender, it's near the bottom of importance, IMO.

Old
08-12-2009, 05:02 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
They can use an upgrade at more important positions such as a #2 center and a good defenseman to run the PP. Being strong at LW isn't a key to a contender, it's near the bottom of importance, IMO.
That point has nothing to do with having such a huge drop off in LW talent from EITHER Smyth OR Frolov to Ivanans. That's just unnaccetpable. There still needs to be a Sturm or a Chimera level player in there somewhere. LW may be less important than center, but having such a big gap is still a problem, regardless of how important other positions are.

I get your point, but if I may, your point is rather pointless. Atleast in this discussion.

LW may not be key to a contender, but having a big hole there or having to force other players out of position thus weakening their effectiveness is going to ensure the word contender doesn't enter the discussion.

Old
08-12-2009, 06:08 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Only way I could see this happening, is if the Kings moved Johnson +/- for Kessel +/- and then moved either Kessel or Frolov for Souray +/-.
Which 2 make us better.

Frolov Johnson

Kessel Souray

I almost have to say the later.

Old
08-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Defgarden

Isn't Kessel a RW? I'd love to have him, but we would still need natural LWers, unless we want to continue to plug in RWers in those slots, which isn't the end of the world, but not ideal IMO.

Old
08-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Isn't Kessel a RW? I'd love to have him, but we would still need natural LWers, unless we want to continue to plug in RWers in those slots, which isn't the end of the world, but not ideal IMO.
I think they could find a way to move Kessel over to the left side. He would be my ideal acquisition right now. The fact that he is not signed right now means that there is still a good chance that he is available.

Old
08-12-2009, 06:36 PM
sueroe

yeah it would appear that the Kings management are now filling the gaps and adding pieces ready to make a push for playoffs. I can't see filling a hole with Smyth to create another big one with Frolov at this time. Souray would add a lot to the blue line, but unless a solid Left Wing player was coming back in the deal it would be setting the team back.

Old
08-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueroe View Post
. I can't see filling a hole with Smyth to create another big one with Frolov at this time. Souray would add a lot to the blue line, but unless a solid Left Wing player was coming back in the deal it would be setting the team back.
This

Old
08-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Yeah I forgot he was. Keep Fro, move Johnson + for Kessel. Move Kessel to Edmonton then for Souray +?

Old
08-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Yeah I forgot he was. Keep Fro, move Johnson + for Kessel. Move Kessel to Edmonton then for Souray +?
Do you think Johnson has more value than Souray?

Old
08-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Not now, but maybe in 2 years when he's a RFA and has 2 more seasons under his belt.

Old
08-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Easily.

Old
08-12-2009, 09:08 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Only way I could see this happening, is if the Kings moved Johnson +/- for Kessel +/- and then moved either Kessel or Frolov for Souray +/-.
I came across this today:

Quote:
Bruins dangling Kessel as trade bait
The Boston Bruins are no closer to signing restricted free agent Phil Kessel as they were a month ago, and GM Peter Chiarelli appears to be weighing his trade options.

Kessel, 21, is believed to be looking for a large contract worth around $5 million, while the Bruins are hoping he signs for closer to what David Krejci received ($3.75 million per year).

Sources tell TFP contract negotiations between Chiarelli and Kessel's agent, Wade Arnott, have been minimal to date.

According to the New York Post, the Bruins are still looking to deal Kessel.

Citing an unnamed source believed to be close to the situation, the Post claims the Bruins are talking with "two West Coast" teams about Kessel.

The Bruins are supposedly asking for a young NHL-proven player, a prospect and a first-round draft pick in exchange for the native of Madison, Wisconsin.
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/bos090802.html

Old
08-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Me thinks Kessel might be on his way to San Jose.

Old
08-12-2009, 09:19 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
I'd rather keep Fro....

Old
08-12-2009, 09:23 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearsOFaClown View Post
Me thinks Kessel might be on his way to San Jose.
SJ would have to dump salary in order to sign Kessel...

Who's gonna take that salary dump? Certainly not Boston. It would have to be a 3 way trade.

Old
08-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:

Who's gonna take that salary dump? Certainly not Boston. It would have to be a 3 way trade.
I was about to say that....San Jose has less cap space than Boston.

Old
08-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Chruceg

I have several problems with the article from the fourth period. The first is that the report they are giving is based entirely on an article out of the New York Post. A newspaper, and I use that term loosely, which bases its circulation on sensational headlines and tabloid reporting. Pretty much anything that comes out of it must be taken with an enormous grain of salt.

Second, the New York Post openly admits that the individual is only "believed" to have inside knowledge of the situation. The reporter could very well be making a conjecture about a guy who is making a conjecture.

Third, it's a New York paper. How could the New York post scoop it's own sister paper, the Boston Herald, the Boston Globe, which has the best access to inside Bruins information, and the remainder of the entire Boston media? (ie NESN, which shows all the games, NECN, and any other of the various news outlets) The media in this town is absolutely voracious about any sports activity. And believe me I know ... I live here.

The last thing that bugs me is that the teams that are mentioned in these supposed trade talks are "two west coast teams." The media here, in New York, and pretty much the entire eastern sea board has little to no knowledge about the goings on of any teams west of Detroit. An example: the Boston Globe, which has the "best," again I use that term loosely, hockey coverage in the northeast, speculated the Kings might be looking to trade Jack Johnson ... a WEEK after the Kings signed him to a two year deal.

It strikes me as something the reporter just made up because this August has been so dreadfully slow.

Lastly to keep the thread on topic. Keep Frolov. Give the last D spot to either Drewiske, Hickey, or Voinov and then let the group grow together.

Old
08-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:

Roenick is off the books!

Old
08-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Anaheim could probably fit Kessel in.

Old
08-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

I like Souray. He can score, pass, hit and fight. I remember him from his NJ days. He is a special player. His contract sucks puck and tying up that kind of money is very stupid going into next season.

Yeah, Kessel had a good season and is a good player but I am not seeing the obsession with him. He hasn't proven enough at the NHL level and I take Frolov over him straight up. Flame away.

Old
08-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Leggo my eggo!

Old
08-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Anaheim could probably fit Kessel in.
That would suck. That ****ing team has enough up and coming stars + established young stars. Amazing what a couple of rock solid drafts can do for you. Kessel may amount to nothing but I don't want to find that out in Anaheim.

Here is something scary. Frolov likes it in CA? Wants to stay here? Guess who could pursue him? Quack.

Side note, do you all agree with me that there is one reason and one reason only that IF Frolov really is on the trading block and IF Lombardi really isn't very high on him, it is because he doesn't hit and is missing that proactive physical game?

Closed Thread