HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Inside Hockey - "Rangers still lack scoring"

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2009, 09:52 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
With average offense and Lundqvist in the net, we'll be a lock for at least the second round, maybe even going to the Eastern Conference Finals.
A Lock? This team could just as easily finish 12th. Now I'm not saying they will, but do you really see us finishing much higher than 5th/6th/7th in the East? Assuming we even do that well (which is so far from a sure thing) you're then saying we're guaranteed to go on the road and beat Pitt/Philly/Wash in the first round. Lock? Hardly.

Old
08-14-2009, 11:46 AM
WheresBarnaby

Gotta agree we're a .500 team at best this year.

I guess we'll see though, last year I thought we were better on paper then we ended up. This year the opposite is true IMO, so hopefully I'm wrong again.

Old
08-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Gotta agree we're a .500 team at best this year.

I guess we'll see though, last year I thought we were better on paper then we ended up. This year the opposite is true IMO, so hopefully I'm wrong again.
I cant for the life of me figure out how people believe a team with Nigel Dawes, Aaron Voros, Petr Prucha, and Lauri Korpkikoski all in the top 9 "looked better on paper" than this years team.

Old
08-14-2009, 06:02 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I cant for the life of me figure out how people believe a team with Nigel Dawes, Aaron Voros, Petr Prucha, and Lauri Korpkikoski all in the top 9 "looked better on paper" than this years team.
I was more refering to last years signing of Drury, Gomez, Zherdev and Redden. All of whom haven't really panned out.

Old
08-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Kaktus*

Out: Gomez, Antropov, Naslund, Zherdev, Morris, Mara, Korpikoski, Betts, Orr
In: Gaborik, Prospal, Kotalik, Higgins, Brashear, Lisin, Boyle

Did I miss someone?

Thanks.

Old
08-18-2009, 10:09 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Out: Gomez, Antropov, Naslund, Zherdev, Morris, Mara, Korpikoski, Betts, Orr, Sjostrom
In: Gaborik, Prospal, Kotalik, Higgins, Brashear, Lisin, Boyle, Arnason, Anisimov
Gilroy (most likely according to a majority of posters here)

Did I miss someone?

Thanks.
Sjostrom gone.

Arnason in. Anisimov and Gilroy according to most posters in here.

Old
08-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Sjostrom gone.

Arnason in. Anisimov and Gilroy according to most posters in here.
Did Arnason sign two way deal? (I am not counting those) I am aware of Anisimov but am not going to add him just yet.

Would you say that the rest is accurate?

Old
08-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Levitate

Yeah Arnason is on a two way deal. Not really expecting him to make the team

Old
08-18-2009, 01:25 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah Arnason is on a two way deal. Not really expecting him to make the team
arnason. hartford. only.

with the roster we have right now this team is better than last years team. period.

adding prospal gives us a productive vet who can play the most important position on the team. 1c.

is he better than gomez? no. but his contract is. and his production may be. ill take that chance for 1yr and 1 mil and run to the bank laughing.

if the top 12 looks like this right now, im thinking we can be competitive

gaby prospal lisin
cally dubi higgins
avery drury kotalik
brash arty boyle

not perfect but not terrible either.

Old
08-18-2009, 01:34 PM
ThirdEye

We still lack a first line forward, which is what will separate us from teams like Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, etc...

Oh well, I still think they can make the playoffs as it is right now. However, chances are they'll probably be bumped in the first or second round again because of above reason.

Of course we can have Dubinsky, Anisimov, or hell... even Gravchev, emerge as that, but I don't see that happening this season. Or even next season

Old
08-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
arnason. hartford. only.

with the roster we have right now this team is better than last years team. period.

adding prospal gives us a productive vet who can play the most important position on the team. 1c.

is he better than gomez? no. but his contract is. and his production may be. ill take that chance for 1yr and 1 mil and run to the bank laughing.

if the top 12 looks like this right now, im thinking we can be competitive

gaby prospal lisin
cally dubi higgins
avery drury kotalik
brash arty boyle

not perfect but not terrible either.
Anisimov will not be the 4th line center and Lisin will not be on the top line. Come on, enough hyping Lisin up, I'll bet a handful of people here have seen him play and that was maybe for a game or 2, outside of the guy on here who's a 'Yotes and Rangers fan. The Russian Gretzky?!?! Are ya ******* kidding me? Can we not hype up our prospects like the Mets?

Old
08-18-2009, 01:51 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Anisimov will not be the 4th line center and Lisin will not be on the top line. Come on, enough hyping Lisin up, I'll bet a handful of people here have seen him play and that was maybe for a game or 2, outside of the guy on here who's a 'Yotes and Rangers fan. The Russian Gretzky?!?! Are ya ******* kidding me? Can we not hype up our prospects like the Mets?
hes got filthy skills. what about that dont you get ?

why not give him a look on an offensive line ??

so you want him to play on the 4th line where he will fail? good idea.

if hes got top 6 offensive talent lets put him with brashear and boyle right. nice.

hes one of the fastest skaters in the league- and dont give me the "so is freddie sjo" stuff. lisin has a legit snipe. hes a goal scorer. look at his goals per minutes played numbers while playing with stiffs in az.

hes a dangler. hes got elite offensive skills. so he should play where? on a checking line with grinders. come on.... that isnt even logical

why not put our fastest offensively gifted skater with our other fastest offensively gifted skater and see what happens ?? im not saying it WILL happen but to say it cant or shouldnt be tried is foolish. period.

it aint hype bro. he is what he is. hes an offensive player with elite skills who needs to play with offensive players. its not like we have too many of those already right?

and one more thing, whos saying arty will even make the team? right now we have 5centerman. who says hes got a spot locked up anyway?

prospal
dubi
dru
arty
boyle

Old
08-18-2009, 02:17 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

We have the potential to have three pretty decent scoring lines. That's better than most teams and one better than we've had in New York the last several years. I think Gaborik is the key. If he gets 40-45 this team could rock.

Old
08-18-2009, 02:18 PM
NYR Viper

Lisin is a naturally gifted offensive player. He is very fast and thinks the game quickly and it shows as he was on pace for about 25 goals last season playing on the lower lines on the Coyotes.

He isnt the type of player who should play there. He isnt great defensively and he isnt a PKer but he is the type of player who will create offense. It would be like throwing a more skilled Prucha or Dawes on the 4th line. It just doesnt work because they arent built for that role. He has some good size but still needs to work on his strength but his main skill that makes him valuable is his speed. From the 10-15 games I saw of him last season he got in quickly on the defensemen and created turnovers and when he got the pcuk, he had one thought on his mind, and that was scoring. He is still young and he isnt exactly an established NHL player but putting him on the 4th line would be a waste.

Also throwing Anisimov on the 4th line would be a waste. Boyle or Arnason should be slotted there and I am guessing one of those two will be the extra forward.

I still think there is a deal coming.

Old
08-18-2009, 02:26 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hes got filthy skills. what about that dont you get ?
If he is the greatness that you maintain why was he available for nothing, in your opinion? Were Gretzky and everyone else eating stupid pills or is there a conspiracy afoot to give the Cup to NY?

Old
08-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Cioran

I am actually much more optimistic about this year than last, after the Prospal signing. Think of it this way: Redden, Rosey, and Drury can't be any worse than last year and Gaborik and the new guys couldn't score any less than Zherdev, Naslund, and all the ex-rangers. The biggest factor is that our young guys step up and that our under performers step it up a bit, and they will, since they are under Torts.

We'll do fine, I am almost positive we will land a 2-3 spot in the Atlantic and finish 5-8 on the Eastern Conference

Old
08-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If he is the greatness that you maintain why was he available for nothing, in your opinion? Were Gretzky and everyone else eating stupid pills or is there a conspiracy afoot to give the Cup to NY?
Well, now that you mention Gretzky and "stupid pills" in the same sentence...

I think the biggest problem with playing Lisin on the fourth line is that it's a pretty big waste of him, and you'll never know if he can do more. Why bother trading for him in that case? He's not a fourth line player, he needs to be put in a situation where he can either succeed or fail, not just in a position where he can only fail

Old
08-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
While I agree Lisin doesn't deserve 4th line duty but there's a log jam at the top. In the same breath you suggest Anisimov to be 4th line center wouldn't that be a waste? I agree with you again he's not a lock for a spot. I like your stuff dude and since there's nothing else going on debate on.

Old
08-18-2009, 05:27 PM
ThirdEye

I wouldn't worry, I think Lisin will get his chance sometime during the season. There might be a logjam now, but you have to take into account injuries and potential chemistry issues.

Old
11-21-2009, 11:19 AM
dedalus

21-game bump.

Old
11-21-2009, 11:28 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post