HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Knee Protectors?

Old
08-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Blindsided

vCash: 500
Knee Protectors?

Hey, this is for goalies. I've had my leg pads for almost two years and I've been tired of how going into the butterfly bruises my knees. I've seen some goalies use knee protectors, and I don't know if I should invest in a pair or not.

Does anyone use them? How well do they work? And also I wouldn't know what size to get because I'm about 5'2" and I think I'm too big for juniors and too small for seniors. Any advice is much appreciated.

Blindsided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

how old are your pads? the newer pads have knee stacks that protect you when you go into butterfly and also elevates your pad to give you more area to cover of the net. you might be able to buy and pair and tie them on or try out knee pads

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Blindsided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
how old are your pads? the newer pads have knee stacks that protect you when you go into butterfly and also elevates your pad to give you more area to cover of the net. you might be able to buy and pair and tie them on or try out knee pads
My pads were new when I bought them two years ago. They have the knee stacks, but even then they haven't prevented bruising at all. They're also adjustable, so even when I try fixing them my knees still get banged.

Old
08-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindsided View Post
Hey, this is for goalies. I've had my leg pads for almost two years and I've been tired of how going into the butterfly bruises my knees. I've seen some goalies use knee protectors, and I don't know if I should invest in a pair or not.

Does anyone use them? How well do they work? And also I wouldn't know what size to get because I'm about 5'2" and I think I'm too big for juniors and too small for seniors. Any advice is much appreciated.
You can find a pair of goalie knee pads on Hockey monkey. They are pretty cheap.
Yes, I recommend that you have them if you go down in a butterfly all the time.

I got my knees hit all the time. So I started changing the way I play by doing more skate saves then butterflies. Yes it harder to do then butterflys and it is a timing issue when making the save. But I feel you have more control of the puck off the skate as far as redirecting the puck into the corner then a pad save.

Yes, I have seen goalie control the pad to allow the puck to angle in the corner. But under pressure, it hard to control the pad and out comes that big rebound, out from for another shot. I guess I just like skate saves. But it is a lost art and it's hard to find someone to teach it to you because now a days, goalie coaches only teach butterflies.

Good Luck
Head coach

08-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Blindsided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
You can find a pair of goalie knee pads on Hockey monkey. They are pretty cheap.
Yes, I recommend that you have them if you go down in a butterfly all the time.

I got my knees hit all the time. So I started changing the way I play by doing more skate saves then butterflies. Yes it harder to do then butterflys and it is a timing issue when making the save. But I feel you have more control of the puck off the skate as far as redirecting the puck into the corner then a pad save.

Yes, I have seen goalie control the pad to allow the puck to angle in the corner. But under pressure, it hard to control the pad and out comes that big rebound, out from for another shot. I guess I just like skate saves. But it is a lost art and it's hard to find someone to teach it to you because now a days, goalie coaches only teach butterflies.

Good Luck
Head coach
Thanks. I know, I try not to go down in the butterfly too often. Mostly 'cause I'm short, so if I can stand up I try to. I'm still a little concerned about sizing though, cause I don't want to order a pair and find out it doesn't fit right, and they don't sell them at our rink's store.

Old
08-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Thanks. I know, I try not to go down in the butterfly too often. Mostly 'cause I'm short, so if I can stand up I try to. I'm still a little concerned about sizing though, cause I don't want to order a pair and find out it doesn't fit right, and they don't sell them at our rink's store.
Take a tape measure and measure the gerth of your knee. Then email Hockey monkey with the size and ask them which one will fit.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:

I'm 5'3 and I have senior kneepads.

Rickety Cricket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 09:52 AM
DevsFan84

Quote:

Yes, I use them. I wouldn't play without them, to be honest.

I use these: http://goaliemonkey.com/rbk-gaproknee.html

The part that goes around your leg above your knee is plastic and can be bent a little to shape around your leg- I had to do that because they were too small for me.

The thing I don't like is the velcro straps, which you have to tape over or else they will come off when you put your socks on.

Last edited by DevsFan84: 08-13-2009 at 10:01 AM.
DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:45 PM
pfloyd75

The way I see it, you really only have 3 choices:

1- Free! As mentioned earlier- ease up on using butterfly saves.
2- Cheap! get some of the knee pads. I used Koho knee pads/thigh wraps for a couple of years when I was wearing leg pads that had minimal inside knee protection. They are a pain to deal with IMO but its better than having bruised knees all the time.
3- Expensive. Buy new leg pads with better knee protection/stacks. I eventually went this route and got pro level pads. I ditched the knee pads and my knees have been happy ever since. You can probably find a good deal for some lightly used ones on ebay- especially if your league allows 12" pads. Getting used pro level gear is a better investment than new entry level stuff.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Blindsided

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
The way I see it, you really only have 3 choices:

1- Free! As mentioned earlier- ease up on using butterfly saves.
2- Cheap! get some of the knee pads. I used Koho knee pads/thigh wraps for a couple of years when I was wearing leg pads that had minimal inside knee protection. They are a pain to deal with IMO but its better than having bruised knees all the time.
3- Expensive. Buy new leg pads with better knee protection/stacks. I eventually went this route and got pro level pads. I ditched the knee pads and my knees have been happy ever since. You can probably find a good deal for some lightly used ones on ebay- especially if your league allows 12" pads. Getting used pro level gear is a better investment than new entry level stuff.
I definitely have limited money right now. I'm considering waiting until next season just to buy new pads entirely (since I'm going to college and will need a new pair to match my school's colors), or finding a cheap pair of knee pads now for this season. I'm ordering a new bag soon and I need to decide if I should add in the knee protectors. I have practice tomorrow night so maybe I'll make a decision after then.