HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Concordia won't accept CC payements for Tuition

Old
08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

vCash: 500
Student line of credit.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
In Calgary a few years ago someone paid their tuition in pennies in protest of the university not accepting credit cards. All $5,000 of it, it made the news so they ended up taking the payment and instituting a no pennies rule.
haha nice !

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder View Post
This is terrible news for most first year students/ returnee's with part time jobs (just like me) . We have until aug 31rst to pay next semester's fees and then it's just pure hard cash.

I can't believe they'd be doing something like this during recession periods, to kids- I can see bunch of people not being able to pay everything on time and wasting a semester.

They could've at least told this to us in the beginning of summer or absorbed whatever loss they were making for another semester.

Cold

Tell me about it... I spent more than a month in Europe so I am beyond broke right now. I am working 6-7 days a week since coming back but I doubt I can have enough by the time it all starts. Goddammit.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Habsfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
Student line of credit.
Bingo! You'll need to get a parent to co-sign but its worth it because the interest rate is much lower than on a credit card.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk View Post
Bingo! You'll need to get a parent to co-sign but its worth it because the interest rate is much lower than on a credit card.
what rate can one expect ?

Old
08-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk View Post
I didnt need a parent to co-sign; a l.o.c is very practical.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
I'm aware of MCgill's policies. I wouldn't mind paying by cash if I had known this earlier, i got the email this morning. I have two weeks to find roughly 1800 hundred myself , I barely work during the semester so waiting until Sept 30 is not an option ... and i'm sure it is for lots of kids.

It's not everyone that has momma and pops pay for their fees, and it's a hassle setting up loans with the government and i guess it's getting kind of late now too.

Bottom line, This move is purely about Greed, they just Built their fancy new building and they are crying over the 800K they would've lost with CC accounting fees. That building is worth ~100M at least.
Exactly, it's not so much taking out CC option thats bad (because CC companies are the real cash milkers here taking 2-3%) its just another example of how stupid and corrupt concordia admin is. It's good they are saving 800k, but how about giving students more than 2 week warning after allowing CC payments forever? Pure stupidity.

Meanwhile Concordia admin is so corrupt and greedy, everytime they reno a floor in the Hall building it's mostly filled with fancy teachers offices, same with that new EV building. They're always pissing away money on stupid enviromentally correct do-good projects. And don't even get me started on the textbook/bookstore racket. Meanwhile they're always whining about how broke they are. They really need to be more accountable to independent oversight.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 02:21 PM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
did you not get a letter from the doctor ? Does the SAAQ not cover suck circumstances ?
I provided them with a death certificate because they said that my grand-fathers passing would be sufficient when I had called, and wrote a letter with information on my accident and situation ( I was not hurt badily but did smash my brand new RX-8 at a pretty hi speed, lost a tire which flew into a bus and the guy in the other car was un-conscious with a broken leg and bleeding from the head ). I got a letter back about a month later saying that not enough information was provided and my case was refused and could not be re-opened!

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 02:22 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Heh, McGill doesn't either, which sucks. Our payment is due by the end of August, but the government will deposit my loan in September. 1800$ is a ******** of money to pay upfront like that.
If you have a Credit Card, can't you take a cash advance - then pay it off as soon as you get your loan in September?

The interest will be minimal for a month (or less than).

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 02:30 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
That's a big ball of crap. One of my friends applied to both COncordia and Mcgill, was undecided to which to apply, made both schedules. Chose mcgill. 2 years later, he wants to take a course in concordia and they say he has to pay 2000 in late fees for not paying for courses he NEVER went to and dropped on time.

They don't care about you or I.
3 years ago, I applied to UQAM law, UQAM journalism and Polytechnique mec. eng., was accepted everywhere, but ended up choosing Polytechnique. I never made any schedules, but a few months after I started receiving bills from UQAM journalism, which I refused to pay. Didn't take long before I received a letter from a collection agency, and was obligated to pay. 1050$ down the drain for absolutely nothing

Stay away from that bush league university kids, they're in huge debt and steal money from students.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 02:36 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Prime + 1
The rate is at 2% right now, and what you add on top of that depends on what you're studying. I know engineering students get +0,25%.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
The rate is at 2% right now, and what you add on top of that depends on what you're studying. I know engineering students get +0,25%.
that's weird. why it cost more for them ?

Old
08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
JrHockeyFan

When a card is used a business has to pay a fee to the CC company for the customer paying in that fashion. Usually 5% but can be higher. The school is avoiding those charges

lots of places refuse cards because of that. My daughter had dental surgery and CC was not acceptable to them. 1500 bucks, caching

It ticks you off that it happens but there is a $$$ reason

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:17 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
When a card is used a business has to pay a fee to the CC company for the customer paying in that fashion. Usually 5% but can be higher. The school is avoiding those charges

lots of places refuse cards because of that. My daughter had dental surgery and CC was not acceptable to them. 1500 bucks, caching

It ticks you off that it happens but there is a $$$ reason
Why do some Universities accept CC then? I even know that UdeM accepts CC and you could pay the tuition 2 months in the semester as well.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:20 PM
llamateizer

I'm at ÉTS (école de technologie supérieur ... affiliated with UQAM)
and it was always no CC... thats suck for points that i would've got

but 1500 isnt easy to find...
instead of paying with your credit card (interest at first day)

get yourself a "marge de crédit"

its alot better for you

it allows you to go under 0
you pay alot less interest...

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:21 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Why do some Universities accept CC then? I even know that UdeM accepts CC and you could pay the tuition 2 months in the semester as well.
Some may have a better CC arrangement for whatever reason. Some may be willing to absorb the cost to avoid paper work.

Some businesses work it the opposite way and offer a discount if you pay cash.

You'd have to ask the folks in the registrars office why each institution does what they do

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Joe Cole

Everybody expects everything to be owed to them.

Truth is, they cannot charge extra for CC payments, so they either raise the price for everyone and allow CC payments or simply do not penalize the pople that have cash.

Yes you may pay some interest, but that amount is microscopic compared to what an education costs in other countries.Comfort yourself in the knowledge that you will make the money to pay for your eductaion with ease instead of having a career in serving food at a fast food resto.

Man up, whining is beneath you. Just pay the bill and be on your way.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:32 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
I'm at ÉTS (école de technologie supérieur ... affiliated with UQAM)
and it was always no CC... thats suck for points that i would've got

but 1500 isnt easy to find...
instead of paying with your credit card (interest at first day)

get yourself a "marge de crédit"

its alot better for you

it allows you to go under 0
you pay alot less interest...
ETS is affiliated with "Université du Québec" http://www.uquebec.ca/reseau/ . Each of the 9 universities of the UQ are managed independently. (I know it has nothing to do with the topic here, but it's a pet peeves of mine when we are compared to the UQAM, it makes for bad publicity for a wealthy school like ÉTS )

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Thorn

I read about this a couple weeks ago (turns out to be a week), was on the front page of the Gazette (link). A lot of Universities do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Wow lame. I know UdeM it's still possible to pay by CC.
According to the above article UdeM is considering it.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:53 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
Dude , trust me on this one. No school will ever be as bad as LaSalle college.
amen to this

The problem lies with the underfunding. it's no secret that Universities are underfunded by the government.

one of the only reasons why McGill doesnt get as much flak about this is because they get a TON of donations (it's a more storied University and you know, it pops out doctors and what not...).

I wish the gov would wake up and realize how badly we are starting to lag behind developing countries like China in education.

By the time they realize it, it'll be too late...

The n00b King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:59 PM
ScherbakAttack

At least I don't have to worry about this with UdeM... we have until like mid-October to pay and you can pay pretty much however you want, as far as I know.

ScherbakAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
amen to this

The problem lies with the underfunding. it's no secret that Universities are underfunded by the government.

one of the only reasons why McGill doesnt get as much flak about this is because they get a TON of donations (it's a more storied University and you know, it pops out doctors and what not...).

I wish the gov would wake up and realize how badly we are starting to lag behind developing countries like China in education.

By the time they realize it, it'll be too late...
If you want the Universities to have more cash, you need to convince the Provincial Gov't (as well as the throng of students, because you know it will be fought) to remove the tuition freeze. Therefore instead of paying ~1200 a semester (not including books) you will be paying ~4500 a semester (I doubt it would shoot up to that in a year).

As for textbooks, I am not sure what you are referring to Turboflex, textbooks are expensive as hell everywhere, not just Concordia. From personal experience, if the textbook was absolutely needed I didn't buy it, or I got it from the crooked Chinese couple right next door to the bookstore for a fraction of the price. Or you could try and find a .pdf version online. Or do what some people do and go to the library and make your own digital copy.

If you don't feel like getting a textbook illegally, you can find the books online (amazon and other such stores) for cheaper often.

Old
08-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
At least I don't have to worry about this with UdeM... we have until like mid-October to pay and you can pay pretty much however you want, as far as I know.
The deadline for tuition payment is at the end of September at Concordia, it is just that as of 1 September 2009 CC's will no longer be accepted for tuition payment (you can still buy your books with CC among other things)

Old
08-13-2009, 04:08 PM
ScherbakAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The deadline for tuition payment is at the end of September at Concordia, it is just that as of 1 September 2009 CC's will no longer be accepted for tuition payment (you can still buy your books with CC among other things)
Ah that makes more sense. I was wondering why the deadline would be so early.

ScherbakAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 07:55 PM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 126
credit card company are winning either way

their fees are pretty sick to the seller (pretty gross)
you ever wonder who pays for the traveling points your CC gives you?

no its not mastercard or visa paying for it, its the sellers
they have a charge of something like 2.5% wich is absolutely huge

and when you make a cash advance on your card you start paying 20% interest from the day you make the cash advance

also your cash advance limit will almost always be much lower then your credit limit so even if your card allows your 2k you most likely have only 500$ as your available cash advance

Credit cards companies are trying implant their system and their sick fees to eradicate a cheap way like Interac. So when you think you're the winner with your retarded bonus points credit card you are actually just giving money to CC companies and killing the economy.

jiboy is offline   Reply With Quote