HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What a race out West...

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 01:55 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
What a race out West...

just got a snapshot, and man is it interesting. First, you have the race for the last two spots. St. Louis, Nashville and Edmonton are deadlocked at 89 points with 2, 2 and 1 games left, respectively and 38, 37 and 36 wins, respectively.

Here's where it gets good: Each of Nashville or St. Louis needs one win and they're in, regardless of what Edmonton does. But here's the trick: St. Louis is in Nashville on Saturday, so they both can't win. On Sunday, Nashville's in Colorado to finish the season. And St. Louis is in MINN on Sunday to finish the season. Edmonton plays in Vancouver on Saturday, and it's a must-tie, most likely must-win, game.

OK, this gets more interesting. Colorado likely wants to win the game against Nashville, and VAN wants to beat Edmonton. Why? They're fighting for the division lead/#3 spot in the playoffs. The #4 likely plays Dallas (although the Flames are a possibility), and thus I think either would prefer the Flames.

There will be a lot of interesting situations. My dream scenario is Edmonton squeaks into #8. Nashville's there too. the Flames beat Colorado, and VAN beats Dallas and Edmonton beats Detroit. OK, it's just all a dream, but there's going to be some tough games on this weekend.

Further, if you want to get a preview of the Rangers' season after Sunday, go to the 'scores' section under the NHL hockey on ESPN and click on Monday the 5th.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I hope both Nashville and Edmonton get in as well, but I don't see it happening. The Oilers have 1 game left and it's against a Vancouver team that has regrouped since the Bertuzzi incident. I think St. Louis and Nashville hold on.

What I find really interesting is that as many as 10 ( ) teams could have 100 point seasons. I don't think we've ever had more than 7. Tampa, Boston, Philly, Ottawa, Detroit, and San Jose have already broken the 100 point mark. Toronto has 99 pts with 2 games left. NJ has 98 pts with 2 games left. Colorado and Vancouver both have 97 pts with 2 games left. This could be the most interesting postseason we've seen in a long time.

Old
04-02-2004, 02:48 PM
John Flyers Fan

As tight as the West is the 2-6 seeds in the East are ridiculous.

Boston currently sits in 2nd with 102 points, yet come Sunday they could very well finish in 6th place (especially now that it sounds like Thornton is out for the home & home with the Devils).

Boston 102 pts. 40 wins (NJ, @NJ)
Philly 100 pts 40 wins (Ott, @NYI)
Ottawa 100 pts 42 wins (@Phl, Tor)
Toronto 99 pts 43 wins (@Buf, @Ott)
New Jersey 98 pts 42 wins (@Bos, Bos)

Old
04-02-2004, 04:08 PM
True Blue

I agree, John. I can't remember the last time that the East was this good top to bottom (almost...Isles don't count). Right now 1 through 7 have 90 points. Isles are almost there. 90 points as a prerequisite to get into the playoffs is pretty good. Hopefully they will not disappoint as there are severa intriguing possibilities in both conferences

Old
04-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

I'm not sure of their records vs. the west but alot of the Eastern teams benefitted from extra games vs. some really awful teams - mainly US, Pitt, Wash. Of course the West had some easy games vs. Columbus/Chicago/Phoenix, so maybe i'm stretching here

Closed Thread