Notices

Miller + 2010 3rd rounder traded to Tampa Bay for Artyukhin

Old
08-14-2009, 04:21 AM
Bleak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Just because I don't like it... If you are gonna be a enforcer, play without visor or at least take your helmet off when going into a fight. Obviously, Peltonen had his helmet with visor on too... But I can't find any vid where Artyukhin fights without visor, other than when his helmet has been ripped off.
He isn't an enforcer. He rarely fights.

Bleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:40 AM
AnaheimDucks90

I think he is better than a Travis Moen. I like this guy and he can skate.

AnaheimDucks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 05:10 AM
Bleak

Moen played a so-so d game as well. His forecheck was excellent. R2Ken's forecheck is great but his d-game is eh. This kid can skate for sure though.

Bleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Nah, enforcer is maybe not the word, that's not his first prio on the ice. However, he fights quite often, that's better be the case... Cause elseways he takes **** too many minor penalties. I just can't come up with any guy who fights on a regular basis that fights with visor.

I like getting him though, I wanted Pettinger and Artyukhin can do the same job. He's bigger, meaner and a bit faster than Pettinger, maybe doesn't have as good hands though.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Jimgrayson

I like the trade, we got something useful for a couple of pieces that weren't going to be much use to us this year

The idea of an R2-Getz-Perry line is intriguing but there's potential for masses of penalties (they combined for 135 minors and 381 PIM last year). But I guess there's only so many times one line get whistled down?

Jimgrayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Talentless Practise*

Out:

Montador, 30 minor penalties in 08-09
Pronger, 39
Robbie, 21

Total: 90 minor penalties lost with outbound penalty-magnets

In:

Boynton, 23
Artyukhin, 43

Total: 66 incoming penalty-magnet-minors

We're good. And while Artyukhin's 43 looks bad, it's still less than Getzy and Perry at 47 and 45 respectively

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Jimgrayson

Add in Luca Sbisa to even up the number of players, 18 minors in 39 games, pro-rates to 38 over a season. We're probably going to see similar numbers of minors

Old
08-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Snap Wilson

I like how Murray talked about the deal, describing Artyukhin in terms of "raw assets" that Carlyle could mold (he compared him to Travis Moen). I'm sure they won't be working on his slapshot, but getting him to play the north-south game that worked so well in the past. A third is kind of steep for a guy in his walk year, but with what we got back in the Pronger deal, we could afford to let one go. I'm optimistic, at any rate.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Leave town for half a day and trades happen, I like it on the surface, upside is size and hitting, downside (even though I don't know anything about this guy) seems to be penalties.

Miller, I liked him enough, just not a complete player yet and I don't know if that has to do with Carlyles' system or if it's Miller himself.

Maybe a change of coaches and system will do him good, wasn't he good in the AHL?

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:37 AM
katatoniak

The only thing I remember of R2 is when he crush Tanguay with a huuuuuuge body check along the board. We loss Tanguay for 30 games + 2 games against the Bruins. You will love when he go in front of the net. Gaolie can't see **** with him there. But like some of you said, I think he has some offensive hability.

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Go_Krog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twindad View Post
Leave town for half a day and trades happen, I like it on the surface, upside is size and hitting, downside (even though I don't know anything about this guy) seems to be penalties.

Miller, I liked him enough, just not a complete player yet and I don't know if that has to do with Carlyles' system or if it's Miller himself.

Maybe a change of coaches and system will do him good, wasn't he good in the AHL?
yea but so is krog

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:28 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Drej

Quote:
I like the trade, but what concernes me is that Artyukhin seems to be a visor fighter. Hence, even against Peltonen he keeps his helmet on

Quote:
Just because I don't like it... If you are gonna be a enforcer, play without visor or at least take your helmet off when going into a fight. Obviously, Peltonen had his helmet with visor on too... But I can't find any vid where Artyukhin fights without visor, other than when his helmet has been ripped off.
I really never understand why a lot of people complain about this. Look at all his fights. R2 is never the player looking to start the fight, although if someone challenges him, he'll still drop the gloves. The majority of his fights start from people who are mad that they or their teammates got run over and are looking for revenge. R2's not an enforcer, or someone who likes to start trouble or do stupid things to get under people's skin... he just hit's like a truck and that annoys people.

I don't see him disrespecting any "fighters code" at all. When someone takes off their helmet before the fight and Artyukhin doesn't then we can say there's a problem.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Nikko*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I am a Lightning fan but never a huge R2 fan, I am however a huge Kings hater so I hope he still has some huge hits left in him.

He took out Drew Doughty once already so that should be interesting.
Feel free to post here whenever you like.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Nikko*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
Dirk creamed himself.
Must have been a good one... still no sign of him. Sweet dreams Dirky.

Old
08-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Nikko*

Overall you really can't be disappointed with this trade. Miller is a joke, our system has proven to get the most out of our prospects... but where have you ever seen a 6'5" 254 frame that skates like that? That is a bonafide freak of nature. Give our staff a chance to develop him. Speed is the part of the game that can't be taught... everything else is secondary to that. Even if we just use him as a rock in front of the net... teach him to clean up the trash. He's not going to be Pavel Bure with the stick, but we can definitely elevate it to an acceptable level. I am stoked about this... our staff will bring something out of him a la Penner.

Old
08-14-2009, 11:11 AM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

bruin fan here...always liked Artyukhin's game. Hope he tears it up with you guys. Good trade, was hoping the bruins would go after him.

Good luck next season....just not against us.

The Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 11:30 AM
kinggelato

Just an FYI from a lightning fan on some of your concerns. I liked Arty and wanted him to succeed but don't think he ever will be anything but a 3rd and 4th line player that is scratched from time to time. Potential is used next to his name every game he plays.
His size and speed are amazing. The rest of his game is pretty bad and he is his own worst enemy. He isnt an enforcer and backs away 99% of the time. Doesnt ever stand in front of the net to screen the goalie. His hands are terrible, not even minor league worthy. He also draws a TON of penalties many of which are not deserved but he is a marked man. More than any other player I've seen he takes games off and is rumoured to be a big boozer. Some of his worst games happened the day after the Lightning were in major cities where he reportedly got boozed up the night before. Not sure how LA will work for him.
Aside from his hands, most of his problems are all mental. Three NHL coaches and his one Russian coach all grew tired of his lack of effort.

What you should expect is this, a big and speedy body checker. Expect anythng else including an enforcer and there is a good chance you will be disappointed.

kinggelato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post
bruin fan here...a

Good luck next season....just not against us.
I was looking at the schedule earlier to see what eastern teams we'll play next season and found quite a treat in October. We play in Boston @ Oct 8 and in Philly @ Oct 10. Two very big, physical and talented teams in three days. One hopes for epic battles with names like Chara, Lucic, Thornton, Bitz, Stuart, Begin etc. and Cote, Asham, Lappy, Carcillo, Pronger, Tollefsen etc. facing our Parros, R2, Brookbank, Brown, Boynton etc.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

The Pelto fight was great. He said after he didn't really want to fight him but understood why Pelts went after him.

He terrorized the panthers last year. Hes a big hitter, no doubt - injured Doughty on a clean on, injured Tanguay on a clean one, hes a tough one.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
Out:

Montador, 30 minor penalties in 08-09
Pronger, 39
Robbie, 21

Total: 90 minor penalties lost with outbound penalty-magnets

In:

Boynton, 23
Artyukhin, 43

Total: 66 incoming penalty-magnet-minors

We're good. And while Artyukhin's 43 looks bad, it's still less than Getzy and Perry at 47 and 45 respectively
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgrayson View Post
Add in Luca Sbisa to even up the number of players, 18 minors in 39 games, pro-rates to 38 over a season. We're probably going to see similar numbers of minors
It's too depressing to think of it that way. I tried to expand it to see what would happen:
(these are numbers with Anaheim where applicable)
Outbound Dbags
Player Minors/82 gms
Pronger 39
Montador 38
Niedermayer 22
Beauchemin 25
Hedican 29
Huskins 27
Kunitz 24
Pahlsson 25
Moen 21
Miller 18
Total 268

Inbound Awesomeness
Player Minors/82
Artyukhin 48
Boynton 28
Sbisa 39
Whitney 25
Wisniewski 39
Lupul 25
Koivu 21
Brown 15
Nokelainen 14
TBD D-man ?
Total 254

Crap. Add in the last defenseman and it's a wash.

A few things I noticed doing this - I didn't realize that Scotty is the sole holdover defenseman from the bulk of last season. Complete defense corps turnover. Sbisa and Wisniewski have to get their numbers down, they're both in Pronger territory, and they're not good enough to justify that. I also didn't think that Rob's totals would be so comparitively low.

A little Anaheim penalty magic:
Whitney is on pace for 23 minors in Pittsburgh, 25 in Anaheim.
Wisniewski is on pace for 19 minors in Chicago, 39 in Anaheim.
Nokelainen is on pace for 12 minors in Pittsburgh, 14 in Anaheim.

Pahlsson is on pace for 25 minors in Anaheim, 6(!) in Chicago.
Moen is on pace for 21 in minors in Anaheim, 8 in San Jose.
Montador is on pace for 38 minors in Anaheim, 25 in Boston.

There are a couple who don't fit: Brown drops from 33 in Vancouver to 15 here, Kunitz jumps from 24 to the low 30s, and Morrison has an incredible jump from 11 here to 34. But Brown by all accounts had a bit of a come-to-Jesus moment in being traded here, and seems to be just better overall. Kunitz I think is being used much more in a proactive intimidation/protective role in conjunction with Guerin on his line, and Morrison...**** Morrison.

Anyway, what was I saying? Oh right. Penalties look like they might be the same, although I'm still hoping losing Pronger might put the stripes in a more friendly disposition. The Ducks were shorthanded 4th-most last season, which is bad, but even worse was the 23rd-ranked PK. I'm hoping that either a full season of Hiller or a bounceback season from Giguere can mitigate that. Even a modest 2% increase in PK efficiency, which would have placed us in the middle of the pack, shaves 8 goals off of our GA and could easily result in 2-3 more wins.

So, uh. Yay 4 Artyukhin.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Jimgrayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankatola Jamnuts View Post
It's too depressing to think of it that way. I tried to expand it to see what would happen:
(these are numbers with Anaheim where applicable)
Outbound Dbags
Player Minors/82 gms
Pronger 39
Montador 38
Niedermayer 22
Beauchemin 25
Hedican 29
Huskins 27
Kunitz 24
Pahlsson 25
Moen 21
Miller 18
Total 268

Inbound Awesomeness
Player Minors/82
Artyukhin 48
Boynton 28
Sbisa 39
Whitney 25
Wisniewski 39
Lupul 25
Koivu 21
Brown 15
Nokelainen 14
TBD D-man ?
Total 254

Crap. Add in the last defenseman and it's a wash.

A few things I noticed doing this - I didn't realize that Scotty is the sole holdover defenseman from the bulk of last season. Complete defense corps turnover. Sbisa and Wisniewski have to get their numbers down, they're both in Pronger territory, and they're not good enough to justify that. I also didn't think that Rob's totals would be so comparitively low.

A little Anaheim penalty magic:
Whitney is on pace for 23 minors in Pittsburgh, 25 in Anaheim.
Wisniewski is on pace for 19 minors in Chicago, 39 in Anaheim.
Nokelainen is on pace for 12 minors in Pittsburgh, 14 in Anaheim.

Pahlsson is on pace for 25 minors in Anaheim, 6(!) in Chicago.
Moen is on pace for 21 in minors in Anaheim, 8 in San Jose.
Montador is on pace for 38 minors in Anaheim, 25 in Boston.

There are a couple who don't fit: Brown drops from 33 in Vancouver to 15 here, Kunitz jumps from 24 to the low 30s, and Morrison has an incredible jump from 11 here to 34. But Brown by all accounts had a bit of a come-to-Jesus moment in being traded here, and seems to be just better overall. Kunitz I think is being used much more in a proactive intimidation/protective role in conjunction with Guerin on his line, and Morrison...**** Morrison.
I have hope for Sbisa (I'm super looking forward to seeing him and Nieds together, I really think it could be something special). Festerling averaged about 0.9 PIM/GM in the AHL but in the show with Nieds he averaged under 0.5 PIM/GM. Similarly Mikkelson was at about 0.8 PIM/GM in the AHL and down to 0.5 PIM/GM playing with Nieds. They were both likely on ice for less time per game but Nieds does seem to have had a tangible effect upon the 'lesser' players he has played with.

Quote:
Anyway, what was I saying? Oh right. Penalties look like they might be the same, although I'm still hoping losing Pronger might put the stripes in a more friendly disposition. The Ducks were shorthanded 4th-most last season, which is bad, but even worse was the 23rd-ranked PK. I'm hoping that either a full season of Hiller or a bounceback season from Giguere can mitigate that. Even a modest 2% increase in PK efficiency, which would have placed us in the middle of the pack, shaves 8 goals off of our GA and could easily result in 2-3 more wins.

So, uh. Yay 4 Artyukhin.
Just a note, somewhere on his blog Tyler Dellow has a post showing that a 6 goal swing in goal differential is worth a win so 8 goals off the GA would be worth about 3 standings points over a season. If anyone remembers the post I'm talking about I'd appreciate it if they could point it out, I've been searching for it for a while but can't find it for the life of me

Old
08-14-2009, 01:44 PM
caliamad

I love the move in the sense we get rid of the player I like the least (Miller) for a great forechecker/hitter.

It does sound like R2 is brain dead and will be nothing more than a 4th line energy player, but I can just imagine he's the type of guy we want on our seldom used 4th line energy line.

1 million and ufa next year seems steep though... asset wise.

I wonder what this does to Parros/Brown's playing time.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
bumperkisser

I dont think browns time will diminish that much.. i think randy likes him enough and i know I do.. parros on the other hand im not so sure

bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:10 PM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
I think the Ducks were just doing him a favor. He's done everything they've asked him too, and he has nothing left to prove in the minors. He most likely didn't have a perminent spot on the club, so they traded him to somewhere where he would be more likely to have a spot in the NHL.

Anyone know what R2's contract is?
According to nhlpa.com, he's set to make $1,000,000 this season. This is also the last year of his contract.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 05:30 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggelato View Post
Just an FYI from a lightning fan on some of your concerns. I liked Arty and wanted him to succeed but don't think he ever will be anything but a 3rd and 4th line player that is scratched from time to time. Potential is used next to his name every game he plays.
His size and speed are amazing. The rest of his game is pretty bad and he is his own worst enemy. He isnt an enforcer and backs away 99% of the time. Doesnt ever stand in front of the net to screen the goalie. His hands are terrible, not even minor league worthy. He also draws a TON of penalties many of which are not deserved but he is a marked man. More than any other player I've seen he takes games off and is rumoured to be a big boozer. Some of his worst games happened the day after the Lightning were in major cities where he reportedly got boozed up the night before. Not sure how LA will work for him.
Aside from his hands, most of his problems are all mental. Three NHL coaches and his one Russian coach all grew tired of his lack of effort.

What you should expect is this, a big and speedy body checker. Expect anythng else including an enforcer and there is a good chance you will be disappointed.
Never heard about this, you got a link or anything?

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote