HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings' GM likes direction his team is headed - nhl.com's 30 in 30

Old
08-14-2009, 06:25 PM
123slam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
I have to admit, that the Kings, if anything, will be a ***** to play against next year.
LOVE YOUR AVATAR!

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 06:46 PM
mikealive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post

it's hard to justify that contract when Kopitar bombs last season.
that's going a little too far, I think you just bombed your credibility.

Kopi deserves the contract he got. i do think it was more than just signing a great player. it was showing the league, the fans, the players that we the kings ARE for real and will hang onto our talent and hang on to our great home grown players. Something the Kings have failed to do in the past.

mikealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Omni Owl

Kopitar should be good for at least 80 pts. next year. He'll be in better shape and have more experienced wingers to play with.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 07:13 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
Quote:
Originally Posted by imissgretzky View Post
If an out of shape, young Kopitar is able to do what he did his first 3 years in the NHL, then imagine what an in-shape, experienced Kopitar can do for the next 7 years. That's why he got the contract.

This.

EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 07:18 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
Quote:
In the din of the Los Angeles Kings' dressing room last April, captain Dustin Brown spent a good deal of time patiently addressing the 2008-09 season that ended in another spring without a Stanley Cup Playoff game being played at the Staples Center.

Questions flew at the young winger, mostly centering on how the Kings could improve and take the next big step. Brown saw one clear solution.

"If you look at our lineup, the last 15 or 20 games or so, the one thing that stands out personnel-wise is the left wing for me," he said. "I'm playing left wing and I'm a natural right. We had Zus [Michal Handzus], who's a natural center, playing left wing for five or six games. And when you look at over the past year and a half, we traded Cammy [Michael Cammalleri] who's a left winger and Sully [Patrick O'Sullivan] who's a left winger.

"We either need to find a replacement within the system or find someone who can adjust to playing on the left wing. Or maybe make a deal."

Recalling that moment of candor, Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi recently told NHL.com that he wasn't comfortable with his 24-year-old captain suggesting what management needed to do and told him about it. But that also didn't mean that Brown was wrong.
Heh, harsh. But, Brownie was right.

EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 07:29 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealive View Post
that's going a little too far, I think you just bombed your credibility.

Kopi deserves the contract he got. i do think it was more than just signing a great player. it was showing the league, the fans, the players that we the kings ARE for real and will hang onto our talent and hang on to our great home grown players. Something the Kings have failed to do in the past.
For the first season Kopitar and the team had expectations, and of all the players on the Kings that didnt live up the those expectations, Kopitar was the one who most can be blamed for last season's failures.

Say what you want about Labs sucking, I can remember more time where the game was on Kopitar's stick and he missed.

I really don't think that this is what Kopi will be like. I think that a lot of things went wrong for Kopi recently - just an off-season on his own, as well as Brown's problems and having to play with a brutal OSullivan.

A lot of people talk about the lack of offensive talent, and the lack of true finishers. But Dean Lombardi is right - it squarely falls on the shoulders of Anze.

Compared to his previous 2 seasons, I say that Kopitar bombed. But if this is Kopitar at his worst, still leading the team in scoring and still a viable 1st liner, that speaks very highly of the young Slovenian

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 07:29 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Hah thanks, kind of a last second idea

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Randart

I Agree With DL...

On Kopi's contract and the issues of it, over pay, length, why him and not others? Etc... I say this I think he is our great hope for the future and present.
Also since I have seen him practice as a prospect and now a player he works hard when he is here can't say what his conditioning program was but his work ethic in practice is great!

I think as most do he is one of the most talented guys for his size in the league at any position... And him being a center is all the better, he is after all our top center and along with Fro our top player. The fact that DL locked him up with a contract to secure him for our team and to inspire him to his best play was one of my fave DL moves ever!

I fully expect and hope of course Kopi will be elite not just passable as our number 1 centerman. Anything less I think is a huge disappointment for all of us and Kopi most of all! I think he comes out this season with a huge chip on his shoulder to prove he is worthy of not just his contract but his 'A' and also a spot on the All-Star Team. Personally I think he made great strides last season in all the small things that make a complete player. Battling hard for the puck in the corners, coming back to assist the Dee-fense and even blocking shots ala Zues!

Last edited by Randart: 08-14-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:08 PM
smokes lets go

I must say, as an outsider looking in, im a fan of DL and think he has done a great jon with your team building from the ground up. I wish Burke had the patience to do a long rebuild like your team, the Mike Komisarek's and Garnet XLB's of the world and our no-name offense isn't anything to write home about. Congratulations on your solid young team, it will be fun to watch them take the next step this year and next

Frolov-Kopitar-moller
Brown-Schenn-Purcell/Stoll/Williams
Loktionov-Lewis-Simmonds

Dough-Johnson
Hickey-Teubert
Voynov-Greene

Quick
Bernier

A team like that in a few years will be pretty sick to watch

Last edited by smokes lets go: 08-17-2009 at 05:00 PM.
smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:00 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

I think you guys forget how vulnerable Kopitar was to an outside contract. If you go around the league, I'm betting the two players who would most likely be signed to an outside contract as an RFA would be Doughty and Kopitar. So Lombardi had to sign his player swiftly to make sure that temptation never came up to begin with.

That said, TM has said that Kopitar was deficient on defense ever since the season start and I don't think there's any doubt that he has improved drastically. Yes, his offensive output dropped, but when you're now busting your butt both ends of the rink and you aren't used to it, something has to suffer to balance it out. This year will really be the defining moment on what Kopitar's worth is. His hockey sense is sky high and he has the size to be an elite. I, for one, think he's worth his contract.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
This year will really be the defining moment on what Kopitar's worth is. His hockey sense is sky high and he has the size to be an elite. I, for one, think he's worth his contract.
Agree 100%.

Kopitar is the one YOUNG player on this team that deserves the big money - he's still at the beginning of his career (and doing quite well), most (all?) of the Kings' recent big $$ contracts have been paid out for what a player has done in the past.

Kopitar will only get better - he's the one you have to lock up and pay big.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:12 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
Whew...I'm glad Dean likes the direction this team is heading..
Of course he likes the direction.. because it is him that made that direction.. If he says he still doesn't like the direction at this point, he's job will be at stake...
The real question is will DL be signed to an extension after year 5? He talks a great game, all the slots are being filled on his little graph but the team still stinks. Do you re-sign a GM who stocks the minor leagues with talent but produces almost no results at the NHL level based on hope after 5 years? I think the majority of the fans are in agreement the team is headed in the right direction, a clear type of player is being brought in or drafted, the coach fits great but how long is this going to take?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The real question is will DL be signed to an extension after year 5? He talks a great game, all the slots are being filled on his little graph but the team still stinks. Do you re-sign a GM who stocks the minor leagues with talent but produces almost no results at the NHL level based on hope after 5 years? I think the majority of the fans are in agreement the team is headed in the right direction, a clear type of player is being brought in or drafted, the coach fits great but how long is this going to take?
Sadly I think the fate of the Kings is in the hands of #23 and #11. Dean gambled on signing them long term and having them be the faces of the franchise. I have never hid the fact that I think handing these two unproven players the keys to the Ferrari was probably not the best move. They have never won anything of significance and judging by their disappearing act last year during the "playoff push" I think more people should be questioning them. If I'm going to blame DL for anything, it's going to be this.

His scouting is off the hook!

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:56 PM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Sadly I think the fate of the Kings is in the hands of #23 and #11. Dean gambled on signing them long term and having them be the faces of the franchise. I have never hid the fact that I think handing these two unproven players the keys to the Ferrari was probably not the best move. They have never won anything of significance and judging by their disappearing act last year during the "playoff push" I think more people should be questioning them. If I'm going to blame DL for anything, it's going to be this.

And who else on the Kings roster won anything significant?
And who else deserves that kind of money on the Kings roster anyways? Here is your answer NOBODY. Not to mention Brown and Anze are at worst great 2nd line players.

And if you want to blame Lombardi for something, then it's his FA signings. Let's face it he sucks in the FA and while he overpaid for every single UFA, non of them really showed a damn thing.

Cloutier for 2 Mill $
Nagy at 3.75 Mill $
Calder at 2.7 Mill $
McCauley? Modry? Stuart? Blake? Preissing? Handzus at 4Mill after an difficult injury?

Green and Scuderi are making 3 Mill$ for 0 offense?!?
Stoll after sucking season got a raise to 3.6 Mill for what beeing a good faceoff man and a stupid penalty maschine?

try again...

4ndr3y* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loktionov View Post
And who else on the Kings roster won anything significant?
And who else deserves that kind of money on the Kings roster anyways? Here is your answer NOBODY. Not to mention Brown and Anze are at worst great 2nd line players.

And if you want to blame Lombardi for something, then it's his FA signings. Let's face it he sucks in the FA and while he overpaid for every single UFA, non of them really showed a damn thing.

Cloutier for 2 Mill $
Nagy at 3.75 Mill $
Calder at 2.7 Mill $
McCauley? Modry? Stuart? Blake? Preissing? Handzus at 4Mill after an difficult injury?

Green and Scuderi are making 3 Mill$ for 0 offense?!?
Stoll after sucking season got a raise to 3.6 Mill for what beeing a good faceoff man and a stupid penalty maschine?

try again...
I think both of you are forgetting a couple of things. First, low priced 2nd contracts have disappeared. With the free agent age lowered to such a degree you either sign your kids and hope they reach their potential or you don't and you're left with a constant cycle.

Second Lombardi had to overpay to get those free agents to sign here because no one wants to come to L.A. to play. You overpay to get guys here, plain and simple.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 04:35 PM
4ndr3y*

Send a message via MSN to 4ndr3y*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
You overpay to get guys here, plain and simple.
Yes, but what's the point of overpaying 3rd liners - Stoll, Handzus, Calder...? These players ain't no diference makers and never will be.

And who is the skilled player our young forrwards can look at?
I mean there were 0 quality veterans on this team. Scary and embarassing, huh?

4ndr3y* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 04:35 PM
nki

Quote:
I have never hid the fact that I think handing these two unproven players the keys to the Ferrari was probably not the best move.
If not them, then who should have gotten the keys?

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 04:43 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tavares View Post
I must say, as an outsider looking in, im a fan of DL and think he has done a great jon with your team building from the ground up. I wish Burke had the patience to do a long rebuild like your team, the Mike Komisarek's and Garnet XLB's of the world and our no-name offense isn't anything to write home about. Congratulations on your solid young team, it will be fun to watch them take the next step this year and next

Frolov-Kopitar-Eller
Brown-Schenn-Purcell/Stoll/Williams
Loktionov-Lewis-Simmonds

Dough-Johnson
Hickey-Teubert
Voynov-Greene

Quick
Bernier

A team like that in a few years will be pretty sick to watch
Of all the young players to steal from the Blues, why Eller in particular? Odd...but that's not to say I disapprove.

Oh and where's Moller?

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 04:52 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

This may be a little OT but is anyone else here the slightest bit upset DL didn't pick up Prospal? I mean 1 year 1.1m for the guy is a damn good deal. He could slot into any one of the first 3 lines and is due for one of his big seasons this year. And, on the chance that we don't re-sign Fro, Vinny P could be a serviceable stop-gap (not the best case scenario but insurance nonetheless).

Old
08-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loktionov View Post
Yes, but what's the point of overpaying 3rd liners - Stoll, Handzus, Calder...? These players ain't no diference makers and never will be.

And who is the skilled player our young forrwards can look at?
I mean there were 0 quality veterans on this team. Scary and embarassing, huh?
I'm sorry, but guys like Stoll and Handzus most assuredly are difference makers.

You have to fill out your roster somehow correct? You cant throw the kids to the wolves and just expect them to survive. The year Lombardi signed Preissing and co. there were no kids who could come up and play. No impact players wanted to come here either. L.A. was on it's way down so what's the only thing that's going to convince them to come here? Money.

Old
08-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
This may be a little OT but is anyone else here the slightest bit upset DL didn't pick up Prospal? I mean 1 year 1.1m for the guy is a damn good deal. He could slot into any one of the first 3 lines and is due for one of his big seasons this year. And, on the chance that we don't re-sign Fro, Vinny P could be a serviceable stop-gap (not the best case scenario but insurance nonetheless).
Just because he signed for that much in NY doesn't mean he'd have signed for so little here. Maybe he wanted to stay on the east coast.

Old
08-17-2009, 05:00 PM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Of all the young players to steal from the Blues, why Eller in particular? Odd...but that's not to say I disapprove.

Oh and where's Moller?

Oh come on its easy to get those two confused

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 05:04 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Just because he signed for that much in NY doesn't mean he'd have signed for so little here. Maybe he wanted to stay on the east coast.
Agreed but I would've gone up to 2m for the guy if it was a one-year deal. The east coast thing, I suppose but I'd like to think weather in LA more closely resembles that of Tampa's than NY does.

Old
08-17-2009, 05:06 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Yah, I was thinking the same thing. He's not a Terry Murray clone but he's a good winger and he's proven time and again in his contract years he steps up. To be fair he might have been offered a deal and if I were in his shoes I'd rather play for the Rangers than the Kings in his scenario. He has a much better chance for success and recognition playing in Manhattan. With a big year he could hit the jackpot again next summer. Vinny also has ties to Tortorella. Signed a 4 year 14 million dollar deal with Tampa last summer and they bought him out after 1 year. Ouch.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 05:06 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tavares View Post
Oh come on its easy to get those two confused
You need some Swede sensitivity training, my friend